Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

How are "supervised" tests going for people generally??

Are they more difficult than 1st test??

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

I hope I'm not overstepping the mark here but without giving anything away. In the numerical, I didn't use one particular tab to answer any question. It seemed to me that there were no questions directed to that tab. Did this happen to anyone else?

MODS: Please delete if you find this post unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

carnie wrote: »
    I hope I'm not overstepping the mark here but without giving anything away. In the numerical, I didn't use one particular tab to answer any question. It seemed to me that there were no questions directed to that tab. Did this happen to anyone else?

I think that that can happen alright. As far as I know there's a question bank and they're different for everyone (correct me if I'm wrong). I've been asked the same question in a number of different ways in aptitude tests before. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

What are the indicative interview dates for this competition please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Indicative dates for Stage 3:

Assessment Centre 13th – 24th November 2017.

I did Stage 2 yesterday and the PAS staff said results will be out before the end of this month.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.
    Just 2 weeks of interviews means a small first batch?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ballingarry

On last HEO competition they called 200 for the first batch of interviews and then called another 200 a month later and a 3rd 200 a month after that. That might change slightly this time as December is the 2nd month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'd just like to offer some words of encouragement to those that didn't pass the psychometric testing this time around.

I failed the tests on the management scenario, after scoring very high in verbal and numerical. I think myself that psychometric tests are not good at all - anyone can have a bad day doing them

I also did the previous interdepartmental comp, passed those tests that time. I had an offer yesterday (that I accepted) for a HEO post, so it goes to show you can have good and bad days with those tests.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I'd just like to offer some words of encouragement to those that didn't pass the psychometric testing this time around.

I failed the tests on the management scenario, after scoring very high in verbal and numerical. I think myself that psychometric tests are not good at all - anyone can have a bad day doing them

I also did the previous interdepartmental comp, passed those tests that time. I had an offer yesterday (that I accepted) for a HEO post, so it goes to show you can have good and bad days with those tests.
    Congratulations Gerry on your HEO job! Best of luck with it. I failed management last year, got through this year, but with scores nowhere near as high as verbal and numerical.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tayto2017

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Congratulations and well done!! I bet you'll make a great HEO! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

eimaj18 wrote: »
    carnie wrote: »

I think that that can happen alright. As far as I know there's a question bank and they're different for everyone (correct me if I'm wrong). I've been asked the same question in a number of different ways in aptitude tests before. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Ah yes. I've had a variety of the same question come up heaps of times. I just found it strange that a whole area of questions could be left out. But yeah, I guess it was possible 1 in 1000 chance of occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 beamee

What times are the tests on at each day?
    I have to travel to get there and was hoping to get in for an earlier time than allocated. Just wondering what times tests are on throughout the day. Thanks

beamee wrote: »
    I have to travel to get there and was hoping to get in for an earlier time than allocated. Just wondering what times tests are on throughout the day. Thanks
    I think there's a session at 11.30 then 2.00 then 3.30. I don't know if there's one before 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Stickmam

beamee wrote: »

Mine is at 12. Know there is a session at 3.30 too. Not sure if there's one before 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

There are sessions at 9:00/10:30/12:00/2:00/3:30 that info came from PAS.

A colleague couldn't make her appointed time and couldn't be facilitated the day she just showed up.

Addle wrote: »
    A colleague couldn't make her appointed time and couldn't be facilitated the day she just showed up.

Did she not wait around for the next session ?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Just heading into my test now - is today the last day?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Did she not wait around for the next session ?

Ya, so many waiting that she wasn't fit in.
    Only 3 spare pcs or something.

Ya, so many waiting that she wasn't fit in.
    Only 3 spare pcs or something.
    I saw this happening on Wednesday. They only seem to have about 40 pcs in the room and two of those weren't working (staff told us not to sit at the numbered desks with them on).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Stickmam

eimaj18 wrote: »
    Just heading into my test now - is today the last day?

No, I'm in next Tuesday. But they must finish soon after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

Stickmam wrote: »
    No, I'm in next Tuesday. But they must finish soon after that.

Next Wednesday is the last day I think

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Had my test at 10.30 today, lots of people trying to get accommodated that didn't seem to get in, the place was very full and the attendance rate seemed to be really high.

Some folk were turned away and told to come back in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I did my test at 2pm on Monday. 6 people didnt turn up and there was 6 people who were there looking to be accomodated so it evened out.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Dear Candidate,

Please be advised that there will be no testing sessions for HEO on Monday 16th October.
    Regards
    Large Volume Recruitment Unit

just got this message from Publicjobs. Is anyone here affected?

Dear Candidate,

Please be advised that there will be no testing sessions for HEO on Monday 16th October.
    Regards
    Large Volume Recruitment Unit

just got this message from Publicjobs. Is anyone here affected?
    Afaik there wasnt exams that day,I presumed that was just a reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Doubtitdub

Seems that there will be a good few positions available when panel is established, previous panel is just about exhausted i hear. This was due to the high failure rate at interview/presentation.

I wonder what that high failure rate is a reflection of?
    Inappropriate candidates maybe, are the tests inappropriate?
    Will it result in a change in the interview process?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Doubtitdub

I wonder what that high failure rate is a reflection of?
    Inappropriate candidates maybe, are the tests inappropriate?
    Will it result in a change in the interview process?

Well an interview and exercise isn't really inappropriate for the position I could only think it could be down to lack of instruction or the candidates ability, all down to how you are on the day which might not really reflect your ability's at all.

I doubt they would change the interview process but who knows,for the higher positions there is no exercise just interview so if they want more to pass this time they may do away with that part and just interview or possibly an Etray..

They can change the process per campaign even for same grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Doubtitdub wrote: »
    Seems that there will be a good few positions available when panel is established, previous panel is just about exhausted i hear. This was due to the high failure rate at interview/presentation.

It depends on where youre talking about. There's at least 8 sitting on the Mayo panel and approx 20 for Sligo from the last comp.

The high failure rate mostly occurred on the presentation side of things

Advertisement