Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Marje wrote: »
    Don't know if this is any benefit to anyone else.

I purchased the fire stick through the uk website which doesn't work for me.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ETRIFOW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I sent them an email this evening asking would they set it up for me and got this reply

It looks the same to me (except for the Alexa option).

Best you can do with a UK Fire Stick is install Prime Video app on your phone and cast content to the Fire Stick. Option is called "Play on TV".

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

doylefe wrote: »
    Best you can do with a UK Fire Stick is install Prime Video app on your phone and cast content to the Fire Stick. Option is called "Play on TV".

I have the app on my phone but don't see an option to cast or play on tv.

I have the app on my phone but don't see an option to cast or play on tv.

Start a movie on your phone, top the screen, top right you'll see three dots, tap that, then "Watch on..."

Fire Stick needs to be powered on and both phone and Fire Stick need to be connected to the same WiFi.

doylefe wrote: »
    Start a movie on your phone, top the screen, top right you'll see three dots, tap that, then "Watch on..."

Fire Stick needs to be powered on and both phone and Fire Stick need to be connected to the same WiFi.
    Thanks for the reply but there's no option under the three dots... all it shows is zoom/next up/exit playback. I tried on my mobile (android) and fire kindle.

Following on from my email to Amazon last night, I asked would they give me a refund (I bought it beginning of October) or can they reset the one I have to the right settings.

They offered me a refund on the fire stick so that I can order the other through amazon.com. It's a bit stupid tbh, easier for them to reset I thought, then I'm not an expert on these things. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

So if i want to watch Prime Video through an Alexa-enabled Fire Stick, my option is to mirror it from the phone? That sucks, and it'll never fly with the missus :mad:
    I've already got a couple of Echos and Dots around the house - getting Alexa onto the TV was the point in getting the stick - getting a Basic model stripped of Alexa from the US is not an option. Not impressed with Amazon's geo-locking BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Signed up for the free trail and will be cancelling promtley. It's utter rubbish compared to others.
    No exaggerating 90% of the shows I clicked into watch have "this title is not available in your current location" what's the f*cking point in having it listed then?
    Nearly all of the Amazon original series are geo locked as well for Christ sake.
    So what exactly am I paying for here?

Is this a free trail thing or is everyone else having this issue?

Signed up for the free trail and will be cancelling promtley. It's utter rubbish compared to others.
    No exaggerating 90% of the shows I clicked into watch have "this title is not available in your current location" what's the f*cking point in having it listed then?
    Nearly all of the Amazon original series are geo locked as well for Christ sake.
    So what exactly am I paying for here?

Is this a free trail thing or is everyone else having this issue?

I can watch all of the amazon original series. Movie selection is not great, I wouldn't sign up for them at all.

TV series are the main things I will watch - atm, watching Vikings (series 1). Just finished Patriot.

I don't get any geo-locked messages.

I'm currently paying €2.99 offer for 6 months which ends next month. You might have signed up for the free trail which is only available in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I can watch all of the amazon original series. Movie selection is not great, I wouldn't sign up for them at all.

TV series are the main things I will watch - atm, watching Vikings (series 1). Just finished Patriot.

I don't get any geo-locked messages.

I'm currently paying €2.99 offer for 6 months which ends next month. You might have signed up for the free trail which is only available in the UK.
    Sorted now, location was set wrong. Now ROI and working.
    Although now I've seen how much stuff we don't get in compared to other regions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Marje wrote:

Patriot any good?

pilly wrote: »
    Patriot any good?

Yeah it's good. Will definitely watch season 2.

From RottenTomatoes
    Series 1 sees an intelligence officer take an undercover assignment in Iran, but PTSD spells, incompetency in the federal government and the challenges of keeping his cover spark an onslaught of debacles that put the mission in danger.

which gives it a good summary (Iran is wrong in that he doesn't work in Iran but Luxembourg on pretense of business trips while trying to do his undercover assignment)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Prime Video installed on my LG TV (app wasn't there before, this is new :-)). I've noticed that some series that I can view on web are showing as unavailable on TV (e.g. Preacher Season 1, I can watch season 2 though) - is there a setting I'm missing within the app itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What the hell is this yoke. I got a free month trial when buying someone on Amazon but nothing works on the TV. Default price is in £ as well

• Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Prime app now on Apple tv.

Need Apple tv 3 or greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I've been using Kodi on my amazon fireTV stick as I assumed Amazon Prime is pretty much 0 content.

Is there actually any content available?

RasTa wrote: »
    What the hell is this yoke. I got a free month trial when buying someone on Amazon but nothing works on the TV. Default price is in £ as well

Check your location settings, ScrubsfanChris had the same problem (see his post above)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

I have amazon prime for deliveries and have been using the amazon prime.

If this is the future of TV then its not great.

Poor selection of shows or a few seasons old.
    Main screen is full of shows and movies that you buy rather than whats included.
    None of the movies work (even the free with prime) due to geographical area) why not show what you can watch rather than what you cant.
    Some TV programs you cant watch at all (geographical)
    Some you can watch but cant download. (Im going travelling and wanted to have a few programs)
    Windows 10 app doesnt seem to have a download option that I can find...

Absolutely not worth the money for PRIME Video IMHO.

Its going to get worse too.. See the Apple / Amazon battle and now the google/amazon battle.

The days of having lots of studios on free or paid channels are gone.

It will be select material on multiple platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Anyone know when "Man in the High Castle" season 3 is due for release? It's just about the only thing I watched on Amazon tbh - great show.

"The Grand Tour" started promisingly but got very tedious. I didn't even finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Decka

Check your location settings, ScrubsfanChris had the same problem (see his post above)

Im having the same problem. When I go into preferences and then location, to me it seems my only option is putting in an american zip code!

Decka wrote: »
    Im having the same problem. When I go into preferences and then location, to me it seems my only option is putting in an american zip code!
    Looks like you're linked to the USA, I could be wrong. If you google prime video Ireland it should bring you to the right link. They have an offer of €2.99 atm for six months (normally €5.99) cancel anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I'm sure somebody has already said it, but you can get access to all the UK content for £5.99 per month if you just have a UK address on your account (any address at all) and then pick it at the checkout. Last year I threw a dart at the map of the UK, this year I used my addresspal address.

Edit: On further inspection, there appears to be some kind of location lock on most of the movies but not the tv series. I don't think this was the case last year from what I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

Amazon have finally released a fire stick for Irish and other regions called fire stick basic.
    It’s only available through there US site at the moment

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Stick-Basic-Edition/dp/B01ETRGE68

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

DubJJ wrote: »
    Amazon have finally released a fire stick for Irish and other regions called fire stick basic.

It absolutely baffles me that they need to release a new version of the fire stick for us, and those of us with UK sticks are SOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

the fire stick basic doesn't have Alexa, because for some bizarre reason Amazon still doesn't officially support Alexa here.

DubJJ wrote: »

I had mentioned this before in a previous post. :D

It will cost more than the $49.99 shown - add shipping and handling of €18.32 and VAT at 23% rate - total in EURO was €76.22 (depending on exchange rates).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Been thinking about this,but rather than download the new grand tour for example would it be worth it to do the trial ,watch the new two episodes of grand tour as a test and cancel after the 30 days, I am more use to going the freebie route but as we know they are not so safe now and i just bought new laptop and mot putting any of that stuff on it...Wife not happy but she ruined a laoptop before by downloading stuff she was not sure of it wont be happening again....

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Been thinking about this,but rather than download the new grand tour for example would it be worth it to do the trial ,watch the new two episodes of grand tour as a test and cancel after the 30 days, I am more use to going the freebie route but as we know they are not so safe now and i just bought new laptop and mot putting any of that stuff on it...Wife not happy but she ruined a laoptop before by downloading stuff she was not sure of it wont be happening again....

The 30 day free trial is only available for UK users as far as I can see.

I think (can't really check as I'm already signed up) you might get 7 days free trial and then €2.99 per month which you can cancel anytime.

https://www.primevideo.com/?ref=dvm_pds_amz_IE_lb_s_g|c_164160080605_m_pccaV7Ia-dc_s__

You could sign up for UK amazon prime 30 day trial and use that account to log into primevideo.com. It will prompt you and ask you do you want to use the account to access UK prime video or Irish / International prime video. Choose Irish and your account will be converted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Cancelled mine today runs out in January, it was just not worth it and a poor effort compared to Now TV and Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

irishman86 wrote: »
    Cancelled mine today runs out in January, it was just not worth it and a poor effort compared to Now TV and Netflix

NOW TV is a pricing ripoff though, you pay much more than the UK version costs for an inferior service, I can't stand them. Amazon Video is priced fairly for what it has to offer I think, though many of its shows are more niche in appeal than what Netflix has.

I'm not sure how much effort Amazon is putting in here. I've seen ads for The Grand Tour before The Last Jedi in the cinema when I saw it on Friday, and on bus stop ads, but they recently deleted their Irish Prime Video twitter account.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Whatever about putting effort into content, they certainly aren’t skimping on the marketing budget - there are adverts on Dublin Bus and bus stops, billboards - even a direct mail campaign (with a mock credit card size “voucher” attached that you don’t actually need to get the deal it proports to offer).

Advertisement