Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    Would you not think the lull's form Wlad could be because he was 40/41 , at that age you really do have to mange the aul gas tank ,
    He can't possible put the foot down as often as AJ ,and expect to out last him,
     I think scared is a really stupid word to use about a world champion , its more knowing his own weakness and knowing his limits, 
    Don't get me wrong maybe if he pushed on and put the foot down he would have got the finish but I'd imagine it was his experience telling him not to empty the tank and not because he was scared,

Timid a better word?

Like it or not he has fought this way plenty of times. He's only human....

My opinion was that he was fighting his usual timid/overly cautious self at times; afraid to really commit and try to close the show. Some boxers are like this...even when they have their man hurt and ready to go, there is that little bit of fear and timidness that stops them really pushing for the kill....

Then there are others who would walk through fire to get the kill.....

It's juts part of the fight game and part of human nature.
    Would you say Wlad fought in the same way v AJ as he did Fury ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,161 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not really...

I already outlined and explained this.

AJ is nothing like Fury, hence Wlad was always going to look different in both fights; fight differently etc...

But he did fight timidly in both fights during plenty of moments...

The only real similarity was the amount of punches thrown by Wlad. Close enough in both fights...

vs. Fury he had more movement to deal with. More angles and more height and more unpredictability....

That is why the punch stats were different as regards jabs and power shots for both fights, for example.

No.

I already outlined and explained this.

AJ is nothing like Fury, hence Wlad was always going to look different in both fights; fight differently etc...

The only real similarity was the amount of punches thrown by Wlad. Close enough in both fights...

vs. Fury he had more movement to deal with. More angles and more height and more unpredictability....

That is why the punch stats were different as regards jabs and power shots for both fights, for example.
    Id say against AJ is the most forward aggressive Wlad we seen in 11 year's ,
    His excuses for getting beat by Fury was childish , " I didn't let my hands go" when asked why he said because "he didn't want to "
    Another thing no one ever asked Wlad which I would have liked to hear is that v AJ he was the lightest he weighed since 2009
     I wonder was it on purpose and if so why , He was a good 6 lbs heavier v Fury ,

Id say against AJ is the most forward aggressive Wlad we seen in 11 year's ,
    His excuses for getting beat by Fury was childish , " I didn't let my hands go" when asked why he said because "he didn't want to "
    Another thing no one ever asked Wlad which I would have liked to hear is that v AJ he was the lightest he weighed since 2009
     I wonder was it on purpose and if so why , He was a good 6 lbs heavier v Fury ,

He was forward moving v Fury as well during large parts if I recall....

He simply had a man who would not sit still...and Wlad hadn't the will/desire/balls or skills, it seems to change this and actually get to and land effectively....he was simply spooked...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Fury 18 stone 6 is that right? Looks a little trimmer anyhow

Good weight for him.
    One camp away from his best weight.

Still looks a little flabby mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I know it's unfair to judge a fighter on a couple of youtube videos but I just checked out Fury's opponent and he is very timid, one of the most unagressive fighters you could pick. Also, what the fook is with him joking, smiling and taking selfies with Fury!?
    This fight is a load bollox.

Also the WWE agro between Fury's father and Wilder was comical.

I'd say if Pianeta hit Fury by accident and knocked him over he would run over, apologize and help him up! Pure farce!

Also the WWE agro between Fury's father and Wilder was comical.

It sure was.
    I don’t know if you noticed but they actually shook hands 2 seconds before it ‘kicked off’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

megadodge wrote: »
    Thank God somebody can see past the 'wow power' angle!

Wilder is completely incapable of outboxing anybody not called Bermaine Stiverne, who is nearly 6 inches shorter than him and has concrete feet.

Wilder is used to being the bigger man, but against Fury he will be facing a bigger man who knows how to use his height and reach. Plus Fury is an expert feinter and given how petrified Wilder fights (flinching badly if anybody throws a punch even within two feet of him), I can envision Wilder being even more all over the place every time Fury feints. His composure is extremely suspect at the best of times, but Jesus I suspect he will absolutely stink the place out against Fury as he just won't know when Fury is actually going to throw a punch or just feint, so he'll just keep moving for as long as he can while losing round after round. All of which will suit Fury.

As for Wilder's so-called unpredictability - huh? He has the most predictable 1-2 in boxing. He moves backwards in all his fights obviously scared sh*tless of getting hit by anything, until somebody gets in close and then he just lashes out with wild swings which usually includes at least one decent uppercut. Having bad technique and no composure does not mean unpredictable.

Fury will keep his distance with his far-superior jab and judgment of distance and feint Wilder into a panicky tizzy. Wilder will not have a clue how to close the distance while constantly moving away for fear of getting hit. Rinse and repeat for 12 rounds.

Your hatred for WIlder is actually quite funny, must have lost money backing Ortiz or something

You are making him out to be an average joe, he’s not . If anyone hits harder than him I wanna see it . And he has more speed than Joshua and povetkin put together

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

akelly02 wrote: »
    Your hatred for WIlder is actually quite funny, must have lost money backing Ortiz or something

You are making him out to be an average joe, he’s not . If anyone hits harder than him I wanna see it . And he has more speed than Joshua and povetkin put together

The Emperor has very few clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Advertisement

That’s not wilder in the 2nd video.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You sure? A lot of sites saying it's him. Here's another angle.

https://twitter.com/ATRboxinguk/status/1030570071733809152

Just saw a full video.
    BJS came up to say hello.
    Wilder confronted him over his comments in this video:

A skirmish ensued and BJS scarpered.

This is the full video I mentioned (starts at 22 seconds):

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Isn't it great to actually have a Heavyweight division worth talking about ?

For a decade we had Wladamir Vs Overmatched Heavyweights with little interest from not only the general public but often boxing fans too.
    Now there's all sorts of things to argue about !!

There's an abundance of prospects about to come onto the scene too; Joe Joyce, Tony Yoka (banned at the moment), Simon Kean, Filip Hergovic, Sergey Kuzmin, Daniel Dubois, Oleksander Teslenko, Robert Alfonso, and Ivan Dychko among many others.
    Not all will amount to something, but the scene is entering a very exciting period like we haven't had since the early 90's !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Really hope Wilder beats Fury. If Fury wins (which I highly doubt he will) he won't fight Joshua for years. I reckon Fury will hold onto the belt and just trash talk for years.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Really hope Wilder beats Fury. If Fury wins (which I highly doubt he will) he won't fight Joshua for years. I reckon Fury will hold onto the belt and just trash talk for years.

Strange as its Fury who seems willing to take the big fights , Fough Wlad in Germany and now Wilder in the US , he has no history of ducking fights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭squinn2912

What did you guys make of fury’s performance last night? I was watching with no sound. Thought he looked tidy enough.

What did you guys make of fury’s performance last night? I was watching with no sound. Thought he looked tidy enough.

Certainly an improvement on his last fight but he is just nowhere near where he was pre Vlad. He would have easily put Pianeta away back then (see his fight against hammer, a similar styled but slightly better opponent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Certainly an improvement on his last fight but he is just nowhere near where he was pre Vlad. He would have easily put Pianeta away back then (see his fight against hammer, a similar styled but slightly better opponent).

Fury didn't exactly put Hammer away either. It was more a case of there's no point continuing for hammer as he couldn't win and ultimately his corner team didn't want him to continue either and that was that.

Fury didn't exactly put Hammer away either. It was more a case of there's no point continuing for hammer as he couldn't win and ultimately his corner team didn't want him to continue either and that was that.

Ah to be fair he hurt him a lot more and floored him too.
    Pianeta looked in no danger last night and he is not exactly renowned for his chin or durability. Hammer would be a lot sturdier in that department

I thought he looked very average.

Whatever folks are into I suppose. Looked disjointed, weak, very feather fisted and just unable to impose an effective/hurtful offense on a very weak opponent..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ah to be fair he hurt him a lot more and floored him too.
    Pianeta looked in no danger last night and he is not exactly renowned for his chin or durability. Hammer would be a lot sturdier in that department

In the hammer fight he scored a nice flash knockdown from a tidy combo but Hammer was up and ready near instantly and didn't look at all wobbly. I'd be sceptical as to whether hammer was in any way hurt really.

But yes I'd agree last night was very tame even for a fury fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Hmm get what you lads are saying. A couple of months ago I made the point that I’m giving him two fights grace to look woeful. For all of that I’ve been impressed with his progress. I thought he decided to patter away in 3rd gear and that did rightly to get some rounds in. He’s shown enough to suggest that he’s taking things seriously but I’m still sceptical about how long that lasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I thought he looked very average.

Whatever folks are into I suppose. Looked disjointed, weak, very feather fisted and just unable to impose an effective/hurtful offense on a very weak opponent..

Your only criteria for a good fighter is power Walsh fury doesn't have it but he's clever and fast. He didn't lose a round last night did he even get hit once?

Your only criteria for a good fighter is power Walsh fury doesn't have it but he's clever and fast. He didn't lose a round last night did he even get hit once?

No. He won every rd...

Still looked poor for me. Pianeta is dreadful.

Oh, and nothing solely to do with power. Most of us here know he’s not a big hitter...

I listed a few things I saw that didn’t impress me. One of them was his feather fists...even considering him not to be heavy handed, he looked like he was unable to get any meat on his shots. That’s down to poor technique and positioning and fluidity and mechanics and coordination. Disjointed..

Get over the whole power thing. There’s more to boxing/fighting than just power. Try and broaden your assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Yeah I'm a fan of Fury, defended him a lot and and wasn't at all impressed. I thought the positive reception online was a mixture of trolling and having the biased commentary fresh in people's heads but some people seem to think it was a good performance.

I thought it stunk, stunk far worse than the Wlad performance which was a safe win but understandably he did what he needed to do and did it very well....at least he showed some bite in that fight and even wobbled Wlad towards the end, or at least shook him. He was very sharp then too, he looked very slow last night and his movement was poor.

There was no excuse last night. Pianeta is a punch bag. You can get your rounds in but at least work in those rounds, not just throw a few jabs and some head movement. He'd have been better off shadow boxing in the mirror than what he did last night if he's trying to get in rounds and work on his stamina and rustiness. I lost count the number of times Pianeta's back was glued to the ropes with the hands up, completely stood still and Fury throws a few punches at his arms and rolls back into the centre of the ring. It was extremely negative. He did show small glimpses of putting punches together towards the very end but it was a very odd performance. I sincerely hope he's holding himself back massively in order to make Wilder and Joshua underestimate him because although I felt a fit and healthy Fury beats Wilder and Joshua, he has little to no chance against either if this is the real Fury we have left now. I saw someone online saying "Fury was always like this have you ever seen him before"...he was not. Fury can operate at a much higher gear and intensity than what was shown last night. Whether that is in the past or if he's just holding back to be deceptive, I'm sure we'll find out one way or another.

In a nutshell his offensive substance was dreadful..against a tomato can.

Fury a few years ago was clearly better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yeah I'm a fan of Fury, defended him a lot and and wasn't at all impressed. I thought the positive reception online was a mixture of trolling and having the biased commentary fresh in people's heads but some people seem to think it was a good performance.

I thought it stunk, stunk far worse than the Wlad performance which was a safe win but understandably he did what he needed to do and did it very well....at least he showed some bite in that fight and even wobbled Wlad towards the end, or at least shook him. He was very sharp then too, he looked very slow last night and his movement was poor.

There was no excuse last night. Pianeta is a punch bag. You can get your rounds in but at least work in those rounds, not just throw a few jabs and some head movement. He'd have been better off shadow boxing in the mirror than what he did last night if he's trying to get in rounds and work on his stamina and rustiness. I lost count the number of times Pianeta's back was glued to the ropes with the hands up, completely stood still and Fury throws a few punches at his arms and rolls back into the centre of the ring. It was extremely negative. He did show small glimpses of putting punches together towards the very end but it was a very odd performance. I sincerely hope he's holding himself back massively in order to make Wilder and Joshua underestimate him because although I felt a fit and healthy Fury beats Wilder and Joshua, he has little to no chance against either if this is the real Fury we have left now. I saw someone online saying "Fury was always like this have you ever seen him before"...he was not. Fury can operate at a much higher gear and intensity than what was shown last night. Whether that is in the past or if he's just holding back to be deceptive, I'm sure we'll find out one way or another.

Fury will beat wilder and Joshua I’m pretty sure just not sure if his interest will maintain beyond that.

Advertisement