Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'll be waiting to see the weigh-in before making any predictions or bets, but from initial looks at Parker he appears to be a little thinner in the face than previous. Anyone else think the same?
    Parker camp have said they tried to bulk him up for recent fights to add more power but have decided that it didn't work and he looked worse ,
    They are on record of saying they want him to weigh about 108 kg this time around ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Parker camp have said they tried to bulk him up for recent fights to add more power but have decided that it didn't work and he looked worse ,
    They are on record of saying they want him to weigh about 108 kg this time around ,

That’s 17 Stone/ 238lbs I think. Still a bit much for him IMO. He was 234 as recently ago as against Takam, he looked in good shape then.
    He was 245/246 in recent fights and looked awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think you’re right. If he comes in 230-235 then he’s going to be quick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Anyone picking Parker for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,145 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Henno30 wrote: »
    Anyone picking Parker for this?

No but I do give him a good shot if he can rattle AJ early

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Here's a thought that's just occurred to me. I've been very preoccupied with the idea that either AJ blows Parker away, it goes on for a little while and then AJ blows Parker away or Parker can weather the storm and find a punch against the run of play, capitalise and get the win… I still think those (particularly scenario 1&2)  are the more likely but if this fight does go to points and something none of us expect happens - Parker has the better of the fight - would Parker get the decision? I couldn't see it. AJ is the cash cow and they won't want to kill it. I could see judges in the pocket for this one if it goes that far. I hope against hope that the referee doesn't tailor his approach to suit AJ because I feel that too would mean curtains. Maybe it just looks like that. In the Takam fight I thought he broke the fight up thus removing any real opportunity Takam had. Takam was probably still going to lose but he didn't make it any harder for AJ anyhow. I thought the same during the Whyte fight in round 1 anyhow. Didn;t change the outcome of course. I was hoping AJ wouldn't win so maybe that influences my view of the whole thing.
    Just some thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, I just hope the anti AJ bias, which seems rather prevalent here doesn't get the cries of robbery or foul should Parker lose a decision in a clearly competitive and close type of fight.

You know the type of cries when a fighter does better than expected. They are almost given extra scores and points juts for this alone...

walshb wrote: »
    Well, I just hope the anti AJ bias, which seems rather prevalent here doesn't get the cries of robbery or foul should Parker lose a decision in a clearly competitive and close type of fight.

You know the type of cries when a fighter does better than expected. They are almost given extra scores and points juts for this alone...
    Sounds like you're going back to the AJ/Fury wins over Wlad. I think everyone is entitled to make their own mind up about that but I'm not going into mine any more. I think most of the contributors here are committed to having a mature discussion and learning experience. I know I've made a few points here that have been met with disagreement. I welcome that; it helps me develop my opinion on things. 
    If it's a close fight then Parker will have done very well but ultimately I really don't want the decision to go to the wrong man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Suprised how many supporters Fury has. Guy is funny outside ring but he is very boring fighter to watch imo.

Joshua v Klit was one of the best heavyweight fight in the last 10 years.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Suprised how many supporters Fury has. Guy is funny outside ring but he is very boring fighter to watch imo.

Joshua v Klit was one of the best heavyweight fight in the last 10 years.
    I think people recognise Fury is a very talented fighter and enjoy watching talented fighters,
    Does it surprise you that Floyd had so many supports ,another man who never  really had exciting fights , 
    Some people love the art of shutting someone else down others love a good brawl , each to there own and all that,
    Personally I think Aj v Wlad was one of the most exciting but not one of the best performances in recent years, again its a personal preference ,

• Advertisement

I think Fury when he commits and fights is enjoyable to watch.

But anyhow. The prospect of two young, unbeaten fighters facing one another to unify world titles is amazing! It looks as though one has the potential to demolish the other but there certainly is a lingering doubt about that. On Sunday we could be saying different things about one being all talk etc but at the moment it's very compelling viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think people recognise Fury is a very talented fighter and enjoy watching talented fighters,
    Does it surprise you that Floyd had so many supports ,another man who never  really had exciting fights , 
    Some people love the art of shutting someone else down others love a good brawl , each to there own and all that,
    Personally I think Aj v Wlad was one of the most exciting but not one of the best performances in recent years, again its a personal preference ,

Can't compare the skills of Floyd to Fury. Though Fury is a skilled fighter.

Before Gatti Floyd was an exciting fighter. He had to change because of hand unjuries.

MD1990 wrote: »

Can't compare the skills of Floyd to Fury. Though Fury is a skilled fighter.

Before Gatti Floyd was an exciting fighter. He had to change because of hand unjuries.
    Obviously poles apart , I mean in terms of guys don't have to be exciting to have fans ,

Poles apart due more to their massive size and weight differences.

Cannot compare the skillets (accurately) of a 5 feet 8 inch 130-147 lbs fighter to a 6 feet 9 inch 250 lbs fighter.

Trying to matter of fact claim that the smaller man is more skilled is pointless. You can't compare them because of their huge size differences....

I have always said that for such a big man, Fury is quite skilled.

Poles apart due more to their massive size and weight differences.

Cannot compare the skillets (accurately) of a 5 feet 8 inch 130-147 lbs fighter to a 6 feet 9 inch 250 lbs fighter.

Trying to matter of fact claim that the smaller man is more skilled is pointless. You can't compare them because of their huge size differences....

I have always said that for such a big man, Fury is quite skilled.
    I was going for poles apart in the longevity at the very top of the tree,

The funny thing about the heavyweights currently is that so many of them are untested and hard to gauge. Up until the last few weeks there were so many quite relevant fighters still on an 0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

squinn2912 wrote: »
    The funny thing about the heavyweights currently is that so many of them are untested and hard to gauge. Up until the last few weeks there were so many quite relevant fighters still on an 0

Thats what selling a lot of these fights. Lucas Browne was 25-0 until last week. And hes a total punchbag.

Hearn needs to get AJ vs Wilder on later this year. Both 0 losses. Biggest heavyweight fight in years. Assuming AJ passes the test on Saturday.

The Nal wrote: »
    Thats what selling a lot of these fights. Lucas Browne was 25-0 until last week. And hes a total punchbag.

Hearn needs to get AJ vs Wilder on later this year. Both 0 losses. Biggest heavyweight fight in years. Assuming AJ passes the test on Saturday.

Very true. It's a shambles all the postulating and procrastinating that goes on in getting these big fights sorted.

We don't give a fook about Whyte-Wilder or AJ-Whyte II etc etc.....

Make AJ-Wilder before 2019....

There's no way it happens this year,
    All week Hearn is pushing Whyte V Wilder,
    I think they are till not sure how good Wilder is and hope Whyte gets rid of him cause if AJ loses there cash cow is gone, Not Aj's fault he probably wants the fight,

• Advertisement

Very true. It's a shambles all the postulating and procrastinating that goes on in getting these big fights sorted.

We don't give a fook about Whyte-Wilder or AJ-Whyte II etc etc.....

Make AJ-Wilder before 2019....
    I'm with you guys on that but I really don't see it happening. In this age of social media (although TF is giving it up apparently) the postulating is ever-increased. Right now there are 4 HW contenders on 0s. Wilder, Fury, AJ and Parker. In not too long one 0 will go but in not too long after that there'll be Joe Joyce and Daniel Dubois and we'll be speaking about them in similar terms once they rack up double digit wins. Millar is another on an 0 as well come to think of it. 
    But lads, weren't big fights always hard to make and painfully drawn out? Look at the age it took Tyson and Lewis to meet. Lewis and Bowe never did. When Wlad ruled I suppose he fought all-comers but it's just that the comers weren't of the same ilk.

There's even report Hearn has asked Wilder's camp to stay away on Saturday as he doesn't want Wilder to enter the ring after and have the  fight pushed on AJ ,

There's no way it happens this year,
    All week Hearn is pushing Whyte V Wilder,
    I think they are till not sure how good Wilder is and hope Whyte gets rid of him cause if AJ loses there cash cow is gone, Not Aj's fault he probably wants the fight,

I know what you mean but AJ is going to get clipped and KO'd by someone at some stage. Hes not that good.

Risking Wilder losing to Whyte is also destroying a cash cow - the AJ vs Wilder fight. An unbeaten US champion vs an unbeaten UK champion is a huge PPV draw on both sides of the Atlantic which hasn't happened since pre Klitschko?

The winner gets Fury. Hes still the lineal champ after all.

Surely if Wilder poses a serious threat to AJ then he should get through Whyte with little fuss. Whyte has one big win over Browne who was in shocking condition to be fighting at the upper end of HW. Other than that there was the debatable win over Chisora who is well below elite of the division and then there was the AJ fight. He got demolished. He could well have been KO'ed in round 1 and was lucky not to be. He got one shot in that stunned AJ but I don't think AJ was in real trouble he just had to weather the storm a bit. 
    AJ does leave himself open but I wonder who this someone is that is going to get to him? 
    I would also question this fear of Wilder. With over 2 stone advantage in weight he could make very short work of him. I think it would be a toss up despite that point (Wilder will put on weight) but I don't think AJ looks at that fight with any fear whatsoever.

Surely if Wilder poses a serious threat to AJ then he should get through Whyte with little fuss. Whyte has one big win over Browne who was in shocking condition to be fighting at the upper end of HW. Other than that there was the debatable win over Chisora who is well below elite of the division and then there was the AJ fight. He got demolished. He could well have been KO'ed in round 1 and was lucky not to be. He got one shot in that stunned AJ but I don't think AJ was in real trouble he just had to weather the storm a bit. 
    AJ does leave himself open but I wonder who this someone is that is going to get to him? 
    I would also question this fear of Wilder. With over 2 stone advantage in weight he could make very short work of him. I think it would be a toss up despite that point (Wilder will put on weight) but I don't think AJ looks at that fight with any fear whatsoever.

Wilder has one of the most unique and sloppy fighting styles I've ever seen. Its madness. I think he would be destroyed by though AJ yeah. But Whyte could beat him too. A decent pro with a solid form and stance. Theres the AJ payday for all out the window. Including a rematch maybe if its close or a flash KO.

I don't know about AJ destroying him. I appreciate AJ's achievements but I'm by no means his greatest fan! Wilder would need to weigh at least 16 stone. I think Wilder would KO Whyte. Whyte has done nothing and looked good once as far as I can see against a lad who began boxing at about 30 and came in with no condition, skill or speed. He couldn't but KO him. I think Fury, AJ and Wilder are hard to separate as long as Wilder has the weight. I think the rest are a long way back. On a given day I think they could all win against one another too but I don't see another HW who could compare right now. Not until we've seen more from one or two younger charges.

Wilder looks all this and that (in a "bad" way) , but he is a hard man to beat......

Simple: He keeps winning and keeps knocking opponents out. Every one of them he knocked out...

Folks keep wanting him to trip up and keep telling us how "poor" hes is blah blah blah.....

Bottom line is that he is yet to lose and yet to be exposed......when he wants he can be neat and tidy......most times he does't have to be because he is clearly superior via his firepower and size...

Wilder looks all this and that, but he is a hard man to beat......

Simple: He keeps winning and keeps knocking opponents out. Every one of them he knocked out...

Folks keep wanting him to trip up and keep telling us how "poor" hes is blah blah blah.....

Bottom line is that he is yet to lose and yet to be exposed......when he wants he can be neat and tidy......most times he does't have to be because he is clearly superior via his firepower and size...
    Yep I agree with all of that. He looks untidy usually when his opponent is about to eat canvas. He has a decent jab and serious power

Wilder looks all this and that (in a "bad" way) , but he is a hard man to beat......

Hmmm, he was exposed vs Ortiz. The fight was very nearly stopped a couple of rounds before he knocked him out. He had help after that round from a weird doctor check too which got him an extra 20 seconds or so. Good chin though.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, he was exposed vs Ortiz. The fight was very nearly stopped a couple of rounds before he knocked him out. He had help after that round from a weird doctor check too which got him an extra 20 seconds or so. Good chin though.

Exposed for what, exactly?

He won the fight and was ahead on all cards.....

Ortiz is quite a good fighter, and hyped up as such. Could we not argue that he was the one more exposed, seeing as he lost the fight via KO....

If we go by your reasoning, then every fighter gets exposed at one point or another, whether it's during a winning or losing fight...

BTW, there was no weird doctor check. That was within the rules and procedures. Nothing suspicious or illegal here.

Advertisement