Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

The Nal wrote: »
    Hmmm, he was exposed vs Ortiz. The fight was very nearly stopped a couple of rounds before he knocked him out. He had help after that round from a weird doctor check too which got him an extra 20 seconds or so. Good chin though.

I was at it. The crowd which were mostly cheering for Wilder were very concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And another thing. I don't automatically call a fighter "exposed" due to this or that....

Was Muhammad Ali exposed through his career?

Holyfield?

SRL?

SRR?

Hagler?

Lennox Lewis?

Well, yes they were if we want to look hard enough and apply unrealistic criteria on them for said losses...

Good chin though.

I disagree here. I would say that the chin was possibly "exposed" more than shown to be good or solid. Had Ortiz landed harder, or been a better follower upper, then Wilder may have been carted off.....

I would be quite confident that if AJ can get to the chin clean he will KO Wilder with one shot or a series of good shots...

Oh, same applies for Wilder. If Wilder gets to AJs chin he will knock AJ out.

I do not have confidence in either man's chin to the degree that sees me thinking they take each others clean shots

AJs chin is probably more sturdy...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

There's even report Hearn has asked Wilder's camp to stay away on Saturday as he doesn't want Wilder to enter the ring after and have the  fight pushed on AJ ,

Yes I read that Wilder was supposed to be working with Sky Sports for the fight but he is now not travelling as Hearn won't let him get in the ring to call out AJ (if he wins)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

walshb wrote: »
    Exposed for what, exactly?

He won the fight and was ahead on all cards.....

Ortiz is quite a good fighter, and hyped up as such. Could we not argue that he was the one more exposed, seeing as he lost the fight via KO....

If we go by your reasoning, then every fighter gets exposed at one point or another, whether it's during a winning or losing fight...

BTW, there was no weird doctor check. That was within the rules and procedures. Nothing suspicious or illegal here.

I think were into semantics now. I mean exposed as in the fight would've been stopped if the big punch landed 30 seconds earlier in the round. He was saved by the bell.

Ortiz is ok yeah but hardly a world beater. Wilder was 1 point ahead on the cards, hardly a landslide either.

Regardless, the big money fight is AJ vs Wilder with the winner to fight Fury. Just cant see past AJ being nearly 3 stone heavier than Wilder.

Its nice to have a couple of decent heavyweight fights to talk about.

• Advertisement

I think were into semantics now. I mean exposed as in the fight would've been stopped if the big punch landed 30 seconds earlier in the round. He was saved by the bell.

Ortiz is ok yeah but hardly a world beater. Wilder was 1 point ahead on the cards, hardly a landslide either.

Regardless, the big money fight is AJ vs Wilder with the winner to fight Fury. Just cant see past AJ being nearly 3 stone heavier than Wilder.

Its nice to have a couple of decent heavyweight fights to talk about.

Fair enough. I suppose I was more "defending" the way we articulate a fighter being exposed. Any fighter at any time during any era can be exposed.

You mention how he could have been knocked out, that being him being exposed. I agree here, as regards chin "exposure," the point I made in one of my subsequent posts. Again, that can be said/wondered of any fighter ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I disagree here. I would say that the chin was possibly "exposed" more than shown to be good or solid. Had Ortiz landed harder, or been a better follower upper, then Wilder may have been carted off.....

I would be quite confident that if AJ can get to the chin clean he will KO Wilder with one shot or a series of good shots...

Oh, same applies for Wilder. If Wilder gets to AJs chin he will knock AJ out.

I do not have confidence in either man's chin to the degree that sees me thinking they take each others clean shots

AJs chin is probably more sturdy...

Wilder has more power than Joshua.

Would favour Joshua but hard fight to call as Wilder has slightly better chin.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wilder has more power than Joshua.

Would favour Joshua but hard fight to call as Wilder has slightly better chin.

I think AJ, but really, can't know for certain. Neither strikes me as grade A, although they could surprise us...

An incident here and there or a fight here and there doesn't always tell us how good a chin really is....best to wait for a few more fights and incidents...Look at Clay/Ali as a prime example. Need to look at his career as a whole to give a verdict. He gets a grade A for me.

On the flip side we have Khan. I don't care what he does in the future. His chin is not near grade A. Too many incidents and too much a pattern for me to think otherwise.

I agree on the power comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Hard to even say what sort of fight AJ-Wilder would be. Wilder fought very cautiously against Ortiz bar the odd occasion when his inner windmill took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People don't give Ortiz enough credit, he was very tricky v Wilder , Wilder fought cautious because of Ortiz's skill set, He had trouble with the southpaw stance, I think every judge had Wilder just one round up in a fight,
    Iv said for a long time Ortiz is a fight Aj would never take (well Hearn)  because so much to lose and little to gain , he's a real tricky fight for anyone ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

People don't give Ortiz enough credit, he was very tricky v Wilder , Wilder fought cautious because of Ortiz's skill set, He had trouble with the southpaw stance, I think every judge had Wilder just one round up in a fight,
    Iv said for a long time Ortiz is a fight Aj would never take (well Hearn)  because so much to lose and little to gain , he's a real tricky fight for anyone ,

Yes Ortiz does not get enough credit for that fight. Had he been a few years younger, the outcome might have been different. Also it seemed Wilder got extra time to recover courtesy of a ringside doctor. Wilder proved me wrong in that fight by showing he has a decent Chin, because Ortiz hits quite hard himself. If Stiverne was deserving of a rematch, then surely Ortiz is.

As regards Joshua, i think Hearn wants to preserve his cash cow as long as possible. That's probably why he wants to pit Whye against Wilder next.
    He wants to maximise the revenue before he risks Joshua losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Didn’t stiverne getbthst fight because Povetkin failedvthr drugs test? Ortiz won’t get a rematch I don’t really see the benefit to wilder unless a late pull out.
    If Joshua can earn huge revenue fighting lesser opponents then for all the clamoring about wanting wilder they will take the easier options

Has anyone seen the price interview? He’s a little less defeated looking and looking much trimmer. When he and POV stood toe to toe he’s a huge guy

Parker a kind of flabby 236

AJ a ripped 242...

As I expected...low 240s

Parker a kind of flabby 236

AJ a ripped 242...

As I expected...low 240s
    Jesus I wouldn't have called parker flabby , He just doesn't look like a bodybuilder,
    Very very harsh on of Samoan decent,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Parker will never have the bodybuilder physique, that's just genetics. He's come in light which was very important. Really think this is a fight that goes rounds.

Not flabby per se, just a little “I don’t know,” soft?

Morrison J wrote: »
    Really think this is a fight that goes rounds.

Yes...5-6

How in goods name does AJ carry so much muscle while training so hard for cardio based sport,
    He is in unreal shape, I cant ever recall any heavy weight in the same condition ,
    Wlad was always in great shape but never had as much muscle mass,
    Aj puts most body builders to shame

Not flabby per se, just a little “I don’t know,” soft?
    I get what your saying, he's not ripped like not many heavy weights  are probably only AJ, Wlad and Wilder in recent time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

How in goods name does AJ carry so much muscle while training so hard for cardio based sport,
    He is in unreal shape, I cant ever recall any heavy weight in the same condition ,

Holyfield, Tyson, Bruno era had all amazing physiques

Not 2 metres tall like AJ and Wlad either

thierry14 wrote: »

Holyfield, Tyson, Bruno era had all amazing physiques

Not 2 metres tall like AJ and Wlad either
    Ye all great condition but they didn't carry weight like AJ
    Holyfield was really a cruiser weight his average fight weight at heavy weight was 16 stone and  6'2 ,

Mike didn't look a thing like AJ he was stocky and thick not ripped his body fat would have been much higher than AJ's  and was amere 5'11

I'll give you Bruno he was a big guy and in fantastic condition , closest thing to AJ but still lighter than AJ and shorter,

Does having the ripped body help? I think of Ali, Lewis, Liston, foreman. None of those were that muscular but all very effective and the former two excellent movers

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Does having the ripped body help? I think of Ali, Lewis, Liston, foreman. None of those were that muscular but all very effective and the former two excellent movers
    No I wouldn't think so make him a bit robotic and then there is the gas issues,  
    I just find it amazing that he can keep in that shape while training for boxing and at that weight,

Price being written off isn’t washing with me...

Ok, he has shown his vulnerabilities, but he, as such a big, and bigger man than AP can quite possibly land a KO blow within the first 5/6 rds if he is still there...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Price being written off isn’t washing with me...

Ok, he has shown his vulnerabilities, but he, as such a big, and bigger man than AP can quite possibly land a KO blow within the first 5/6 rds if he is still there...
    I agree with this point. He should go in and make this a dirty, untidy fight. Lean on pov grind him with head and elbows and keep his head away. By now I hope someone has taught him to lead with the jab and not the uppercut. He has a good chance

thebull85 wrote: »

I will read this later but I think you’ve chosen your words poorly here. Pov if he has any sense will be clean for this fight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Povetkin didn't look any where close to his shape in his 'juiced up' fights. 224lbs and pretty fleshy looking at the weighin (ass opposed to 232lbs and ripped)

• Advertisement

I think this is a real opportunity to get to him. If he’s not on juice, he’s 38, hasn’t fought great opposition of late and thinks price is a pushover. Those are big factors. Price has played down his chances and status but if that’s a mind game that works then it’s a master stroke. Maybe I’m willing him on too much

Advertisement