Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G5 Plus €219 Prime

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/222977109523

do it yourself.

Not a skilled job. Youtube is your friend

Issue here is that Motorola have a habit of supergluing all the components together- which makes replacing anything at all a bitch. That said- I have replaced screens before- and swore off ever doing it ever again. Some websites rate the relative repairability of various makes/models- whether or not everything is superglued (a la Apple products) plays a big part in their scores.

I-Electron (I've never used them and can't vouch for them) apparently will replace a G5+ screen for EUR120 here

They conveniently list the most common repairs they are asked to carry out- on Motorola phones broken power/data ports are far and away the most common repair they are asked to carry out- not broken screens- which is a bit surprising (I've never damaged a power port- ever- then again, I go out of my way to ensure I don't jam a cable in the wrong direction..........)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

On the G3 the power port was a separate module and I replaced the one we had it was a 5 minute job.

The one we had melted the port and damaged it. Was fine after the module was replaced.

I think they wear over time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've done various DIY Moto G4 and G5 replacements, screen, speaker, power port etc, very straight forward.
    Just look for a strip down video on YT and you are away with it...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

slave1 wrote: »
    I've done various DIY Moto G4 and G5 replacements, screen, speaker, power port etc, very straight forward.
    Just look for a strip down video on YT and you are away with it...

I've done the same- on HTCs and Motorolas- and have an interesting collection of tools for the screens etc- but regardless of the Youtube videos- wouldn't really recommend it (unless you were seriously bored and didn't really have anything to loose in doing the repair). Its not worth the hassle- particularly on a dirt cheap phone.

Amazon are doing the G5 themselves for £117 (with free prime delivery to Ireland) or the G5+ £149.99. The G6 Play is £149.99 also.........

As phones go- these are defacto disposable units

Advertisement