Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G5 Plus €219 Prime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

WTF is it with the specs of the phones on amazon.de - I want the G5S but the description on the site seems wrong, at the top it mentions 5 inch screen + 16gb but in the description at the bottom it mentions the 5.2 inch screen with 32gb :confused:

Just going by the image you have posted , the description on the top is for the G5 family , the description on the bottom is for the G5S that you have chosen from the option buttons .

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

You're right mate, finding it hard to find the G5S by searching amazon.de, can someone provide a link please:D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

Good deal on latest G5S Plus on Amazon.it -

https://www.amazon.it/Lenovo-PA6V0027IT-Smartphone-Memoria-Interna/dp/B0744VXT1B

€219 & P&P

EDIT: gone up to €239 since initial post...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The G5 Plus (I didn't bother going for the S) is a fantastic phone going on first impressions. I know it's only new but it's very fast.

For anyone who may have the same issue. I couldn't get the leap app to work. Turns out the nfc chip is near the top of the phone. I read it's at the front at the speaker but works at the back of the phone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I've a Samsung S5. Debating with myself whether to buy this.

I know it has more RAM and slightly better specs overall, but is it much of a leap or more of a sideways move. Would love to get a bigger screen.

Anyone in a similar position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

Looks to be up to €239 on amazon.it now. Anyone know of anywhere cheaper? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

dave_t wrote: »
    Looks to be up to €239 on amazon.it now. Anyone know of anywhere cheaper? Thanks

227 in OP on .de, only 8 quid more than its cheapest ever price methinks

Use https://www.curiua.com/ for price check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

It's not possible to get the 4gb RAM, 64gb phone no?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭phog

Do you mean a Moto phone or any phone?

The OnePlus 3T has 6gb RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

phog wrote: »

Do you mean a Moto phone or any phone?

The OnePlus 3T has 6gb RAM

Sorry, I meant the Moto G5S Plus. The reviews I looked at had the 4gb RAM, 64gb storage version but it only looks like it's available from India.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sorry, I meant the Moto G5S Plus. The reviews I looked at had the 4gb RAM, 64gb storage version but it only looks like it's available from India.

Might be almost worth the risk of customs etc to get the Indian one?
    Extra bands on it- the upgraded Qualcom 4G modem and extra RAM?
    Its defacto an unadvertised upgrade of the European G5S Plus (which is itself an upgrade on the US model). If you look at the reviews on the UK amazon site- a lot of the US reviewers have gone out of their way to get the UK/EU model (rather than the US model).

Wish companies would stop penny pinching like this...........

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Hey I just got this phone of Amazon.it.

Just wondering will I have trouble charging it with the european plug? I have the converter thing you buy in argos. But will it damage the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

Hey I just got this phone of Amazon.it.

Just wondering will I have trouble charging it with the european plug? I have the converter thing you buy in argos. But will it damage the battery?

Took delivery of one today also. Shouldnt be a problem with the adapter as voltage is the same as Europe. Very impressed with the phone so far. Great deal for 219euro plus shipping and parcelmotel (much quicker via uk).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

But where could you source the Indian one?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Have a G5s case going free here.

Gimme a shout on pm please.

Has been claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

bunderoon wrote: »
    I've a Samsung S5. Debating with myself whether to buy this.

I know it has more RAM and slightly better specs overall, but is it much of a leap or more of a sideways move. Would love to get a bigger screen.

Anyone in a similar position?

Made this same move this week. S5 was slowing down like an old laptop and battery life had reduced considerably. First impressions are great - very smooth operation with Android 7 pre-installed. It doesnt have infra-red which I used occasionally on the S5 for changing TV channels. Doesnt have a compass either which may be a small problem with google maps when walking in a city for example. Purchased mine on Amazon Italy on Sunday and had it delivered to Parcelmotel yesterday (Wed). Cost me maybe 8-10euro extra in total for Amazon next day delivery and parcelmotel charge combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RodVelvet

Are these still available at 219? What cases are recommended for use with the G5SPlus?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

€239 at Eglobal and Amazon Italy, I’m waiting for a price drop before biting.
    Screen protector and case is Aliexpress which is fine for me as it’s my XMas pressie for that special person

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hi all,

Been following this thread for the last week or so. Both my OH and I are now in the market for new phones so thinking of taking the plunge. Any idea where has the best value at the moment?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

budhabob wrote: »
    Hi all,

Been following this thread for the last week or so. Both my OH and I are now in the market for new phones so thinking of taking the plunge. Any idea where has the best value at the moment?

Thanks in advance.

229 on Tesco Mobile

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

ei9go wrote: »
    229 on Tesco Mobile

That's not the plus..

It's €185 on eglobal before discount codes

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/#/product/21936

tedpan wrote: »
    That's not the plus..

Are they a reputable seller? this thread is the first I had heard of them.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/product/moto%20g5s?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=moto%20g5s

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

budhabob wrote:
    Are they a reputable seller? this thread is the first I had heard of them.

Yeah, lots have used them on boards, myself about 10 times. They're usually great value and the prices include any customs charges.

The downsides,

They're based in Asia
    Support is not great, although I'd deal with the manufacturer if I had a hardware issue.
    Delivery can take up to 4 weeks although the majority of my orders have taken 6 or 7 working days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

tedpan wrote: »
    That's not the plus..

Thats a different one aswell^^, not plus and missing that cheap band 3 use.

This one is the one.

Kuva wrote: »
    Thats a different one aswell^^, not plus and missing that cheap band 3 use.

This one is the one.

Was my link right for the 5gs (non plus version)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

I was considering this but not having a compass is ridiculous. It is something I actually use a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

budhabob...Thinking this is the same model. you won't run the risk of customs, if you buy in Europe..It's also in and around the same price..

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0744VXT1B/ref=ya_st_dp_summary?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

amazon has dropped in price on the G5s andG5s plus. Can anyone comment on the camera on these, in particular the shutter/autofocus speed? The only issue I had with the very good chinese brands is that the cameras were woeful

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

TheDriver wrote: »
    amazon has dropped in price on the G5s andG5s plus. Can anyone comment on the camera on these, in particular the shutter/autofocus speed? The only issue I had with the very good chinese brands is that the cameras were woeful

I won a few small prizes in photography competitions with shots taken on a G4+ - and have over half a million views on Google+ of my photos (from the same phone).

If I want a quality shot- and I know I'm going to be taking photographs- I bring a good quality Nikon with me- I only use a mobile phone if I'm caught unawares (or have had my camera stolen- as happened last week in Lisbon).

You're never going to mimic a good DSLR with a mobile phone- it doesn't matter whether its got good Sony sensors in it- or whatever- but you can get perfectly acceptable shots.

My biggest issue with the likes of the Lenovo cameras (Motorola)- is the software rather than the sensor itself- however, you can autoload your shots to the cloud and pre-configure enhancement settings using different criteria- thanks to Google- keeping the original photo to play with at your leisure.

My other issue- is that file sizes can be enormous- and its not feasible to take RAW shots even with large memory cards- whereas even an older Nikon (think of the D3300 for example- that we were all salivating over in this forum)- can handle this without breaking a sweat.

So- it depends on what you want the camera to do- as a method of snapping a few fun shots as you go through your day- in reasonable lighting- and no high speed sports etc- its perfectly fine. Once you stray outside optimum conditions- it deteriorates rapidly (for example the Motorola has no optical image stabilisation so even the movement of your hand while taking a shot- can destroy what you think is a reasonable photo- and as for lighting- it may be fine in well lit situations and at set subject distances- but dire (I tried to photograph some frogs last week- I just couldn't get closeup shots- I had to go for medium distance to get clarity..........)

If you accept that it has limitations- and are willing to play around with it- its perfectly fine. If you expect it to replace a DSLR- you're going to be fedup and annoyed with it.

Advertisement