Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G5 Plus €219 Prime

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

sandra_b wrote: »
    Is G5 Plus locked to the first network when insert SIM card, or can I change network afterwords?

From Amazon, it's unlocked (change sim as often as you like) and able to take 2 sims.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Kuva wrote: »
    From Amazon, it's unlocked (change sim as often as you like) and able to take 2 sims.

Depends on which model you get- the UK one- is a single SIM model.
    The 1805 from Italy or Germany- is a dual SIM model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

sandra_b wrote: »
    I have ordered this phone last week, thank you!
    Is it locked to the first network when insert SIM card, or can I change network afterwords?

I dont know. I put a tesco sim in , but I dont think its locked to tesco now.

It took eglobel 2 weeks to get the phone to my door this time. It came yesterday.

I was getting worried..

Their dispatch times are so long. And email response time was terrible.

But // it was cheap. And its here for christmas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

brokenarms wrote: »
    I dont know. I put a tesco sim in , but I dont think its locked to tesco now.

It took eglobel 2 weeks to get the phone to my door this time. It came yesterday.

I was getting worried..

Their dispatch times are so long. And email response time was terrible.

But // it was cheap. And its here for christmas:)

My phone has arrived yesterday, it took less then a week. I also put Tesco SIM, I hope I'll be able to switch to 3. Thank you so much, I have never heard about eGlobal before. Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Never thought to ask which size SIM this phone takes? I got 2 of them from Amazon.it but haven't opened the boxes yet. Also, are they dual SIM?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nano sim and yes if you got the 5S plus from .it they are dual sim (at the expense of the microSD slot)...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

My phone is G5 plus and size is nano sim, and it is dual sim.

Guys- you need to look at the exact model of phone you have- there are 16 different variations of G5/G5S/G5Plus/G5SPlus out there..........
    They tend to all take the nano-SIMs- but their other specs can differ markedly from one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

Just placed and order from Eglobal for €206 inc insured delivery.Whats delivery times like and will it definitely avoid customs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

ballybro wrote: »
    Just placed and order from Eglobal for €206 inc insured delivery.Whats delivery times like and will it definitely avoid customs

Now the christmas rush is over. I would think 6 to 8 days. The delivery is fast but getting them to dispatch is the long bit.

• Advertisement

Where to EGlobal dispatch from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

Guys- you need to look at the exact model of phone you have- there are 16 different variations of G5/G5S/G5Plus/G5SPlus out there.......... They tend to all take the nano-SIMs- but their other specs can differ markedly from one another.

Has anyone got a good comparison link of the various versions. About to pull the trigger from Amazon.de

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a good comparison link of the various versions. About to pull the trigger from Amazon.de

Moto G5S Plus: https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5s_plus-8699.php

Moto G5S: https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5s-8698.php

Moto G5: https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5-8454.php

Moto G5 Plus: https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5_plus-8453.php

---

I own the Euro version of the Moto G5S Plus. XKT1805. Ordered from Italy. Mediocre camera, but everything else hits the spot for me. Headphone socket, FM Radio, external storage and a beefy enough CPU/Battery combo. Loud Ringer. Nice browsing size. Your needs may differ.

Amalgam wrote: »
    I own the Euro version of the Moto G5S Plus. XKT1805. Ordered from Italy. Mediocre camera, but everything else hits the spot for me. Headphone socket, FM Radio, external storage and a beefy enough CPU/Battery combo. Loud Ringer. Nice browsing size. Your needs may differ.

Camera is spot on in good light- however, photo quality deteriorates rapidly in other than well lit settings (to the extent that if you try to take a photo of a product on an unlit shelf in a supermarket- it'll pick up the label fine, but the product looks like its in the back of a darkened cave).

Even manipulating the settings manually- isn't great- you end up with weird colour saturations etc.

Apparently- there is a software update being readied for the cameras- however, as-is- its safest to say the camera is unusable- its just so damn unreliable.

Just ordered a G5+ from amazon.de delivered for 185.50. Can anyone recommend a case and screen protector?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

ballybro wrote: »

can you let us know how long delivery takes and if any issues please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I have checked in a good few places but just want to confirm - is it the G5 that does not have a compass, and the G5S definitely does? I rely on google maps a good bit so definitely need one. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The G5S/G5SPlus will accurately mark your position on Google maps, but not have a directional pointer. So, it does not, seemingly, have a compass. Strange thing though, a directional pointer does occasionally show up in Google maps, starting the app, and third party maps like OsmAnd+ etc.

I like this phone, overall, but I will not be buying another mid tier phone from Lenovo/Motorola.

Browse the Lenovo forums for this phone, they're a fu__ing mess.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5S-Moto-G5S-Plus/bd-p/Moto_G5S_G5S_Plus

I have mild screen burn in too, bottom left. Don't laugh, a screen detail from Clash Royale is faintly visible, permanently, to remind me of my gaming addictions..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shaz2004

brought the g5s plus from egobal,looking to source a shockproof case for it, has anybody had any success in getting one, covers/cases seem to be rare??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

shaz2004 wrote: »
    brought the g5s plus from egobal,looking to source a shockproof case for it, has anybody had any success in getting one, covers/cases seem to be rare??
    THis is a good case Spigen Rugged Armor Moto G5S Plus Case with Resilient Shock Absorption and Carbon Fiber Design for Moto G5S Plus - Black - M12CS22017 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0731QBBYY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EYJwAb99BTCW0

And screen cover [3 Pack] Moto G5 Plus Screen Protector, Nearpow [Tempered Glass] Screen Protector with [9H Hardness] [Crystal Clear] [Bubble-Free Installation] [Scratch Resist] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0721SXTN3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wZJwAb6AWZV9B

shaz2004 wrote: »

how long did it take to arrive? any issues with customs etc

Mine took about a week to arrive form time I received email that it was shipped.Received by DHL and no customs to pay.Item was not marked as a phone (household item) looks like it might have been shipped via UK .
    Havant used phone yet only powered it on as Im awaiting a case from Amazon

anyone source a cover/case to protect phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

badker wrote: »

Ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

badker wrote: »
    Literally three post above yours are links

Has anyone had their screen replaced? My glass is cracked but the touchscreen beneath is still working fine

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Has anyone had their screen replaced? My glass is cracked but the touchscreen beneath is still working fine

Was quoted EUR170 for a new screen from the main repair workshop in Sandyford. I was also quoted EUR50 for one from a shop on Georges Street. I had a look at some repairs that the George's Street shop had ready for collection- they worked fine- but the glass was sort of chunky- it wasn't the same OEM screen as had gotten broken. On that basis- I figured I was better off just replacing the phone- and got a G5S+ on Amazon.de for 180- at least it has a full warranty.

If you can get the screen replaced under warranty- great- thats the way to go- if not- for a 'cheapish' phone like a Motorola- its not worth getting the screen done.

Also- the glass was only broken on the outside of my screen- the digitiser etc were still working fine. However- the screen and the digitiser are a single unit- you can't replace one but not the other. Also- its quite possible that they may damage other components while replacing the screen (the SOC is superglued to the screen- for some stupid reason). If you had insurance, or its an expensive flagship phone- it would be a no brainer- get it done on the insurance, or pay the main dealership price to get it repaired- otherwise- you're better off just going with a new phone.

Sound, may as well keep using it until it stops so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/222977109523

do it yourself.

Not a skilled job. Youtube is your friend

Advertisement