Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

blinding wrote: »
    Hopefully its Andy Moran.....:P

Failing that, Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

munster87 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with Maher being a better player than Moran, and I'd be a fan of Maher. Moran is best midfielder in country at the moment IMO

Yeah couldn't agree that the under rated Maher is a better footballer than Moran.Barry is a fantastic prospect.

Irrespective of current form though Brian Fenton is the most complete midfielder in the country IMO.

PARlance wrote: »
    Failing that, Barry.

Not the Kerry one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Dringe123

Anyone any idea of a pub in Amsterdam where the match might be shown?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,054 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Dringe123 wrote: »

Hear this is a nice spot:P:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yeah couldn't agree that the under rated Maher is a better footballer than Moran.Barry is a fantastic prospect.

Irrespective of current form though Brian Fenton is the most complete midfielder in the country IMO.

The general feeling before the Galway match was that Barry would start over Maher as Galway had a potentially very mobile midfield. If Parsons starts for Mayo (which you'd have to expect he will), then the same logic should apply to selecting Barry over Maher. Parsons gets through more ground than either of Galways midfielders.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Dringe123

D
    Kalyke wrote: »
    You're a star Kalyke for that link...that's the entertainment sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I always feel like we've got a chance when we're heading into these type of games - don't know why - but I'm very confident we'll win on Sunday.

I was there in '96. It's been too long. Honestly hope we show up, if we do then it will be some game to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭RagsOBrien

Unless Kerry don't show up, Mayo can't win. Not a hope, but I would like to see them winning as sick of the bottling in finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

RagsOBrien wrote: »
    Unless Kerry don't show up, Mayo can't win. Not a hope, but I would like to see them winning as sick of the bottling in finals.

Yea

• Registered Users Posts: 16,054 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But if they don't win, it will be impossible for them to 'bottle' in this year's final.
    /pedant/

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭RagsOBrien

But if they don't win, it will be impossible for them to 'bottle' in this year's final.
    /pedant/

Thus why I would like to see them win, however the likliehood of that is not great hence the bottling in previous years. Different year, same ole story.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭boosabum

Thus why I would like to see them win, however the likliehood of that is not great hence the bottling in previous years. Different year, same ole story.

Fair enough if mayo are bottlers but then the narrative that Dublin are possibly the greatest team of all time has to be rewritten.
    Can't have a scenario where bottlers are beaten by the greatest Dublin team ever, it's either bottlers beaten by another team or a great team beaten a good team.
    Mayo lost 2004 & 2006 finals to a team than contested 6 all Ireland finals in a row and won 5 in a decade.
    Sometimes it happens that the better team just wins

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not sure this person understands that the match on Sunday is a semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

km79 wrote: »
    Not sure this person understands that the match on Sunday is a semi final

Sure it's a final for us, the winner is coming from the other semi-final if you haven't heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

boosabum wrote: »
    Fair enough if mayo are bottlers but then the narrative that Dublin are possibly the greatest team of all time has to be rewritten.
    Can't have a scenario where bottlers are beaten by the greatest Dublin team ever, it's either bottlers beaten by another team or a great team beaten a good team.
    Mayo lost 2004 & 2006 finals to a team than contested 6 all Ireland finals in a row and won 5 in a decade.
    Sometimes it happens that the better team just wins

But it's 9 All Ireland finals in a row without a win now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

djPSB wrote: »

We'll win one eventually.

Reminds me of the Vitas Gerulaitas quote after beating Jimmy Connors at the 17th attempt.

"Let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitas 17 times in a row."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Dringe123 wrote: »
    Dan Murphy's in Leidseplein is probably the biggest GAA pub in Amsterdam.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g188590-d189382-r272557537-Leiden_Square_Leidseplein-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html
    the Blarney Stone also shows GAA. There are a few more that show it too

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭boosabum

djPSB wrote: »

Correct.
    I would classify 1996 & 1997 as the ones that were "bottled"

- Cork 1989, cork has lost previous 2 and would go on to win again in 1990
    - Kerry 2004 & 2006 as mentioned
    - Dublin 2013 & 2016 as mentioned

1997 was up for grabs even though that Kerry team won an AI again in 2000.

Meath 1996 will haunt a generation, but they returned to win in 1999 and were beaten finalists in 2001 after destroying Kerry in a semi final.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/the-problem-mayo-have-is-they-only-have-one-lee-keegan-joe-brolly-looks-ahead-to-semifinal-crunch-36041562.html

Joe...the glass is half empty......

We have one Lee Keegan and we are happy to have him.....we also have very many good players...Ask Roscommon and the others teams we have beaten....

Joe better stick to his RTE seat.....coz his team talks would be ......" sure we ain't got a chance "

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

blinding wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/the-problem-mayo-have-is-they-only-have-one-lee-keegan-joe-brolly-looks-ahead-to-semifinal-crunch-36041562.html

Joe...the glass is half empty......

We have one Lee Keegan and we are happy to have him.....we also have very many good players...Ask Roscommon and the others teams we have beaten....

Joe better stick to his RTE seat.....coz his team talks would be ......" sure we ain't got a chance "

I know it's a big ask and I'm surprised at myself for doing it, but if you read the full article, he's going for a Mayo win.

The glass is half full of Brolly's bull.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

PARlance wrote: »
    I know it's a big ask and I'm surprised at myself for doing it, but if you read the full article, he's going for a Mayo win.

The glass is half full of Brolly's bull.
    I didn't get that far....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

If they have never been a favourite in any of those finals, how can they have bottled it every time? Often they had actually been underdogs in the semi final too, and won.

Such is the toxic mentality of many gaa fans out there today...

Here is one for you. This Dublin team were beaten by these bottlers in 2012. Now surely if someone were to describe a team bottling a game, then that is your example, rather than a middle of the road Mayo being well beaten by a Kerry team that is probably the best side out there in the last 30 years.

Re Sunday. The hurricane is good news for mayo I believe. Kerry's slick kick-passing game doesn't do well in the wet and their ball skills that they rely on tend to be a bit looser. The 2015 final comes to mind, as does the 'epic' against galway a few years back, where Kerry were quite sloppy. If we can make it a defenders game we might be able to then pick them off on frees.

Id consider something from left field and maybe Parsons drifting into ff for an odd diagonal ball in is an option. They will have something ready for AOS, but something like that could catch them unawares, while parsons is good in the air, mobile and will offload early. Another option is match D O'Connor onto murphy, rotate him into the corner, and send it into him high. At the end of the day, they have a small backline and we have some big rangy guys on the field. If one or two stick inside early on it will shake them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

If they have never been a favourite in any of those finals, how can they have bottled it every time? Often they had actually been underdogs in the semi final too, and won.

Here is one for you. This Dublin team were beaten by these bottlers in 2012. Now surely if someone were to describe a team bottling a game, then that is your example, rather than a middle of the road Mayo being well beaten by a Kerry team that is probably the best side out there in the last 30 years.

Re Sunday. The hurricane is good news for mayo I believe. Kerry's slick kick-passing game doesn't do well in the wet and their ball skills that they rely on tend to be a bit looser. The 2015 final comes to mind, as does the 'epic' against galway a few years back, where Kerry were quite sloppy. If we can make it a defenders game we might be able to then pick them off on frees.

Id consider something from left field and maybe Parsons drifting into ff for an odd diagonal ball in is an option. They will have something ready for AOS, but something like that could catch them unawares, while parsons is good in the air, mobile and will offload early. Another option is match D O'Connor onto murphy, rotate him into the corner, and send it into him high. At the end of the day, they have a small backline and we have some big rangy guys on the field. If one or two stick inside early on it will shake them.

I understand your logic, but is that more in line with a “junior football” style tactic – stick the big man in full forward and hope for the best. Wouldn’t we be leaving ourselves way too exposed outfield – who’d be picking up Moran, Maher, possibly Jack Barry whilst Parsons and A O’Shea in around the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Are Kerry in their traditional colours on Sunday? They are down as the "home" team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I understand your logic, but is that more in line with a “junior football” style tactic – stick the big man in full forward and hope for the best. Wouldn’t we be leaving ourselves way too exposed outfield – who’d be picking up Moran, Maher, possibly Jack Barry whilst Parsons and A O’Shea in around the square.

You could say the same about donaghy in at ff...
    I think you are taking an overly simplistic view of it though. Im saying for him to drift in there a couple of times early in the game, not camped in at ff full time. In the same way Kerry isolated Paddy McGrath with Geaney in 2014, when all eyes were on O'Donoghue and Donaghy. Was that well selected high ball in 'junior football'? Because it made a massive difference in an AI final.
    Re picking up Moran, Maher and Barry, well only two of them will start. But when he did rotate in D O'Connor could rotate onto one of them as cover with Doherty covering the wingback. Considering we do something similar when AOS goes in at numerous stages in games, I doubt it would be that much of a stretch to work...

Kalyke wrote: »
    Are Kerry in their traditional colours on Sunday? They are down as the "home" team.

Not too sure,we're kitting out in our away colours which I don't imagine clash in any way with the Kerry traditional colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Trying out new positions and tactics to try and catch out the opposition is just asking for trouble. Which is why it is very rarely carried out in practice

Stick to our own trusted game plan and we're well able

• Advertisement

I think we blew the 1996 final and we were favourites in 1997 if only slight.We totally under performed against the a very poor Kerry team.It was pretty awful,worse than the 2004,2006 finals where we were overwhelming underdogs.In 2012 Donegal were the best team in the country and were deserved favourites.2013 got away,it really was a great opportunity.We blew the 2014 semi final and were overwhelming underdogs last year.Until we win a final we will always have that label thrown at us.

Happy out if conditions are as you are predicting,I think it'll favour the physicality of our lads and be less opportune for Kerry's inside line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement