Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

PARlance wrote: »
    Personally I think it'll be Harrison on Donaghy with Vaughan helping out... you'll have Diarmuid getting back there too if the Roscommon game is anything to go by.

I think it'll be one change for the weekend, Lee in for Seamus.

This is what I'm thinking, actually this is what I'm hoping. I don't like the idea of bringing in Barry after his injury spell. Plus, Aidan would be lost back there I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Has Barry Moran even been named on the bench this year yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Has Barry Moran even been named on the bench this year yet.

Nope, back training a good month I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭RagsOBrien

I keep getting crap corner tickets as well and no decent ones on the selling websites yet. What's the best day to try and buy online?

For the first Ros game I waited until the night before and got a 307 front row Cusack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭RagsOBrien

For the first Ros game I waited until the night before and got a 307 front row Cusack.

Ok sound so I might try on Friday or Saturday so. It seems to be bad seats only available now for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

A left field solution to Donaghy may be paddy Durcan. He plays corner back for Mitchels, is strong in air and athlectic.

Would be an interesting duel.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

All the focus on donaghy won't be lost on Fitzmaurice
    Can see him trying to be a cute hoor......maybe play him first 10 out around the middle OR not even start with him at all............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

km79 wrote: »
    All the focus on donaghy won't be lost on Fitzmaurice
    Can see him trying to be a cute hoor......maybe play him first 10 out around the middle OR not even start with him at all............

Yeah to be honest I can very easily see donaghy startimg mid with maybe Walsh going 14 for throw in. 2 man ff line for first 10 or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Kerry_2008

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah to be honest I can very easily see donaghy startimg mid with maybe Walsh going 14 for throw in. 2 man ff line for first 10 or whatever

Donnachadha Walsh?

• Advertisement

Kerry_2008 wrote: »
    Donnachadha Walsh?

The throw in not actually play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

If Vaughan is on Crowley, Keegan to come back, and presumably we will have 2 keeping an eye on Donaghy, who does he think loses out from the last day.

He didn't say,I speculate Lee will come back in for Seamie too as the sole change.Barry would be a great option to counter the Donaghy threat but with no football played for near on a year it isn't going to happen.

It doesn't bare countenancing the suggestion that Ger Caff might come back in.

Quite happy Stephen O Brien isn't starting, savage Kerry bench.. Keane,Savage,Barry or Maher.

Billy Joe reckons either Doherty or McLoughs make way for Keegan. I really hope that isn't the case but granted, I going to be a tough call.

He also thinks we need to give up short kick outs to Kerry as they're strong in midfield. Not buying that as much of a tactic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mayo have to try to win midfield. Maher is a good but not fantastic player, Moran is very handy but Parsons could possibly break it away from him and possibly beat him to breaking ball.

I've seen teams win by bypassing midfield or midfielders but not as you say giving up on it.

Moran has had good and bad seasons Mayo should go for it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Stoner wrote: »
    Mayo have to try to win midfield. Maher is a good but not fantastic player, Moran is very handy but Parsons could possibly break it away from him and possibly beat him to breaking ball.

I've seen teams win by bypassing midfield or midfielders but not as you say giving up on it.

Valid points in fairness. Slightly underrating Maher I feel. When fully fit he's well able to handle the best that's out there on big days.
    On Moran, surface analysis would lead you to think he's doing well this year but he's been very mixed in reality. I don't rate Parsons that highly being honest, and don't think he's capable of doing what you described but what Mayo COULD do is attack Moran when he is in possesion as he can often be too slow to get rid of it. He tends to look for the glorious kickpass too often at times also.
    I don't know if Maher or Barry will be there with Moran. I'm hoping it's Maher as I think this is a game for the dogged, more experienced player. Hoping that Johnny Buckley is full fit aswell as he is almost as or more important for primary possession.

A fascinating battle in prospect in fairness. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Valid points in fairness. Slightly underrating Maher I feel. When fully fit he's well able to handle the best that's out there on big days.
    On Moran, surface analysis would lead you to think he's doing well this year but he's been very mixed in reality. I don't rate Parsons that highly being honest, and don't think he's capable of doing what you described but what Mayo COULD do is attack Moran when he is in possesion as he can often be too slow to get rid of it. He tends to look for the glorious kickpass too often at times also.
    I don't know if Maher or Barry will be there with Moran. I'm hoping it's Maher as I think this is a game for the dogged, more experienced player. Hoping that Johnny Buckley is full fit aswell as he is almost as or more important for primary possession.

A fascinating battle in prospect in fairness. Looking forward to it.

I agree, we'd be wise not to underestimate Maher. I'm expecting him to start ahead of Barry, with Barry to add fresh legs with 20mins to go. Expect Keegan to mark Moran to try cut off the supply of ball to the inside line, and do a bit of damage going the other way, with Keegan maybe to switch over to Barry for last 20.

Good day ahead, fascinating all over the place.

Good article from Daragh O Se today as well in the times, I really like his articles these days. He's tipping Kerry on a fairly sound premise that they have a lot of room for improvement after the Galway game, similar to us after the drawn game v Ros I suppose.

I still think we can do damage in the Kerry full back line though, and would still like to see AOS spend some time in there. Not sure I fancy us to win it, but have no fear of Kerry either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Squatman

Blud wrote: »
    . Not sure I fancy us to win it, but have no fear of Kerry either.

What you mean is you dont mind losing?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

The template for how Kerry will probably play was shown in the league game. We had no answer to Barry running at our defence and players playing off the shoulder ripped big holes in our rearguard. Mix that up with bombs to Donaghy and we could be in for a tough day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Panrich wrote: »
    The template for how Kerry will probably play was shown in the league game. We had no answer to Barry running at our defence and players playing off the shoulder ripped big holes in our rearguard. Mix that up with bombs to Donaghy and we could be in for a tough day.

Neither team or defence will be anywhere near as weak as they were that night in Tralee, so I don't see it as having much relevance in that context really. Barry may not even play for more than a few minutes as discussed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

Neither team or defence will be anywhere near as weak as they were that night in Tralee, so I don't see it as having much relevance in that context really. Barry may not even play for more than a few minutes as discussed above.

Andy Moran looked like an absolute world beater in the league game, think it was Griffin marking him that evening. I think for Mayo to win this game they need AOS in full forward. He's too slow out around the middle. If Griffin was left on him inside it would be interesting.

• Advertisement

Maher is fantastic imo

munster87 wrote: »
    Andy Moran looked like an absolute world beater in the league game, think it was Griffin marking him that evening. I think for Mayo to win this game they need AOS in full forward. He's too slow out around the middle. If Griffin was left on him inside it would be interesting.

I was looking for AOS to play inside at the start of the year but I wouldn't do it now. He has had his best year in a while, if not his best, and I think a lot of that has to do with the freedom he has been given.

We still default to lumping it into him at times when he is in there. I would worry if he was in there for the full game. He is distributing the ball well and picking up plenty of frees for the team just that little bit further out.

I do think FF is an option but it would require the team getting used to it. You need to work yourself into the right areas to get the right ball in. Kerry do this very well, us not so much.

Keep him inside and suddenly route one football comes into play. I'd guess he will be doing what he has been doing up to this point, drifting.

We need a big game out of him, if we can get that we have a good chance. Hopefully it will be a great game, although obviously I'd take any type of a Mayo win. Won't be easy.

I would rate Maher as a better player than Moran. Moran is living off 1 game really the semi-final replay in 2014. He had a good first half in the original game. He was poor in the final that year against Donegal. In the semi and final in 2015 against Tyrone and Dublin it was Maher did all the heavy work. Last year against Dublin as well Maher was more prominent until he faded due to fitness.

Maher is just a good passer of the ball. Especially off his weaker left. Tjose balls thatjust bounce into a forwards chest. I would also say he is a far better fielder.

Moran destroyed Griffin in Tralee in the legaue but, Kerry hung him out to dry leaving all the space in front. I think Killian young will come in for Fionn with him taking Moran and Enright O'Connor. Griffin will take whichever inside man will play a bit deeper i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mayopanda84

they've opened up the front rows of the lower cusack and Hogan, ticket sales must be going well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayo had a far stronger team out that night with O Donoghue and Enright both missing and Geaney going off injured quite early.Kerry should have been out of sight by half time.Barry in particular and Savage were impressive during the first half.It was scary how easy they attacked us down the middle.Andy Moran gave Griffin a torrid time,here's to more of the same on Sunday.

I must try to watch that game back before match day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

I would rate Maher as a better player than Moran. Moran is living off 1 game really the semi-final replay in 2014. He had a good first half in the original game. He was poor in the final that year against Donegal. In the semi and final in 2015 against Tyrone and Dublin it was Maher did all the heavy work. Last year against Dublin as well Maher was more prominent until he faded due to fitness.

Maher is just a good passer of the ball. Especially off his weaker left. Tjose balls thatjust bounce into a forwards chest. I would also say he is a far better fielder.

Couldn't agree with Maher being a better player than Moran, and I'd be a fan of Maher. Moran is best midfielder in country at the moment IMO

Couldn't agree with Maher being a better player than Moran, and I'd be a fan of Maher. Moran is best midfielder in country at the moment IMO

I think Maher is crazily underrated. Moran does the odd spectacular thing (like the pass to Donaghy etc) but, he often takes too much out of the ball looking for the Hollywood pass. he hasn't produced it at a high level consistently. he is having a good season but, you still can't be guaranteed which Moran shows up on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I think Maher is crazily underrated. Moran does the odd spectacular thing (like the pass to Donaghy etc) but, he often takes too much out of the ball looking for the Hollywood pass. he hasn't produced it at a high level consistently. he is having a good season but, you still can't be guaranteed which Moran shows up on Sunday.
    Hopefully its Andy Moran.....:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement