Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Im not one for picking at refs, but after Reilly, I'd have genuinely taken anyone before Deegan. With my first preference being Gough.

He is forever giving harsh frees\cards against keegan, he is slow to give us fouls - with O'Connor and O'Shea in particular, seemingly needing to be fouled twice to get a free - while opponents tend to get the benefit of the doubt a bit quicker. I get the impression he doesn't seem to buy what mayo are selling in general, and tends to ref our games against top teams with that in the back of his head.

I'll predict that we will get nothing off him, particularly any big call, and Kerry will get a couple of soft ones at important times.

I'd have to disagree with you there. Donaghy, Murphy, So'S, AO'S are all ins the same boat. Seems the threshold for a foul on a big man is a lot higher. I blame the umpires and linesman. The amount of sh*t these lads have to put up with off the ball is ridiculous but, you never see it being called. If they returned the favour you could be pretty sure the lineman / umpire would report it.

In general with refs its all swings and roundabouts. The only thing is some refs go out with a pre-conceived notion or a point to pick on in their heads. They concentrate on that but, ignore half the other stuff.

John Bannon years ago was a a stickler for picking the ball of the ground. Half the time he blew up when it had been done correctly. He more or less totally ignored the hand pass rule then as long as you made some effort at it.

Gough is mad for calling players being held off the ball. No matter how far off the ball. Deegan seems to have no particular issue but, can sometimes let a game get away from him if its all kicking off.

Brian White from Wexford in the 90's and Pat MacEneaney are probably to of the best refs i have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Where are the Mayo season ticket holders seated for the Kerry game lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Tbh, after Deegan admitted that he should have given a black card to John Small for one of the most blatant​ black card offences in the final last year, I lost a good bit of respect for him. He completely bottled that decision in the moment and ended up black carding Johnny Cooper to make up for it.
    A ref as incompetent as that and as intent on 'evening things up' shouldn't be refereeing big matches, imo.
    A major problem with refereeing right now is the fact that there are little to no consequences for bad refereeing performances. The same controversial refs get picked time and again to referee big matches and they keep making the same controversial decisions even after they've made a balls of big matches in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Same As wrote: »

Just waiting patiently for the tickets to be put up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Oldtree wrote: »
    Just waiting patiently for the tickets to be put up :D

Kerry ones just went up an hour ago, we'll be in Cusack 305

• Advertisement

Kerry ones just went up an hour ago, we'll be in Cusack 305

Just up 307 :P must be keeping us well apart :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

304 row k
    Not as good as Roscommon games but still very good
    Hope it's dry !

Hope its not! rain seems to favor our style of play ;):p

Oldtree wrote: »
    Hope its not! rain seems to favor our style of play ;):p

The first Roscommon game would suggest otherwise :D

km79 wrote: »
    The first Roscommon game would suggest otherwise :D

I would suggest that they are well used to the rain too :D

and would refer you to the first AI last year :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

There wasn't a hint of rain last Monday, and we won by 22 points. Just about salvaged a draw against same team 8 days previous when it bucketed rain.
    You must have some other basis for that comment.

There wasn't a hint of rain last Monday, and we won by 22 points. Just about salvaged a draw against same team 8 days previous when it bucketed rain.
    You must have some other basis for that comment.

Yes I do, we are just more used to playing in the rain than most other counties :p we drew didnt we? coming back from 7 down in a championship match and it was only a light Dublin drizzle

climate_rainfallmap.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

I quite like Maurice Deegan actually, fair enough he black carded Lee Keegan in last years final but one might argue it was a black card offence. You can see why it was given and it was Hennellys fault to begin with after that mess of a kickout. Referees have a really tough job and they are only human, they make mistakes like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya, I haven't seen him doing too much wrong. Tough job being a ref. GAA need to spread a bit of the responsibilities to the other 6 officials - 4 umpires and 2 linesmen. I think they should be more involved in the officiating of games than just lifting a flag here and there, and pointing the odd thing out to referees. At the moment, there is no onus on them if something controversial arises. It is the ref who gets it in the neck from social media outlets. If there was a bit more spotlight on umpires and linesmen, they might be more attentive at games. In last Monday's game, defender stood on A O'Sheas hand when ball was long gone. There was a big shout from the stands, so obviously a good portion of the crowd saw it. But of course, none of the officials did. And in the first half, A O'Shea was wrestled to the ground when O'Connor was lining up a free kick. Probably about 15 yards from umpire. Game had stopped, so it's not like he was engrossed in the game. But not a reaction from the umpire.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

307 HH, good seats

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ya, I haven't seen him doing too much wrong. Tough job being a ref. GAA need to spread a bit of the responsibilities to the other 6 officials - 4 umpires and 2 linesmen. I think they should be more involved in the officiating of games than just lifting a flag here and there, and pointing the odd thing out to referees. At the moment, there is no onus on them if something controversial arises. It is the ref who gets it in the neck from social media outlets. If there was a bit more spotlight on umpires and linesmen, they might be more attentive at games. In last Monday's game, defender stood on A O'Sheas hand when ball was long gone. There was a big shout from the stands, so obviously a good portion of the crowd saw it. But of course, none of the officials did. And in the first half, A O'Shea was wrestled to the ground when O'Connor was lining up a free kick. Probably about 15 yards from umpire. Game had stopped, so it's not like he was engrossed in the game. But not a reaction from the umpire.

Very true, considering some of the linemen have officiated at AI finals then they have the experience to know what should be done.

Umpires are of no use, but wouldn't have the experience to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

307.:(

seligehgit wrote: »
    307.:(

They are excellent seats?

They are excellent seats?

Ah they're super,bang on the half way line but I'm in row G so hoping for no rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

yop wrote: »
    307 HH, good seats

307 HH as well.... Howdy Neighbour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Got me a 306 - EE this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

307 our seating group is in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

304 row k
    Not as good as Roscommon games but still very good
    Hope it's dry !

Give us a wave, we'll be on your right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Got me a 306 - EE this time.

We got 306 MM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jasonroche123

307 Row EE I presume I am covered

307 Row EE I presume I am covered

Yip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

307 row J for my crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Got tickets today. Lower davin section 320. Row ss. Is it far back. Have an 18 month old with us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Got tickets today. Lower davin section 320. Row ss. Is it far back. Have an 18 month old with us

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement