Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

RasTa wrote: »
    Very strange and stupid decision to give two separate bags out.

From a personal point of view goody bags would never be a thing that would sway me either way on a race entry, but it is a bit strange alright. In this day of moving away from gender stereotyping I would love to know on what criteria the distribution between the bags was decided - who decided that men don't eat chocolate (maybe the Lily O'Brien's are the heart- shaped wrapped valentines specials (best before date probably shortly due on those)) - I love chocolate no matter what its shape and I'm no Lady (or woman)!! Is Red Bull now the Ladies choice in the smart nightclubs?? - I'm sure I've seen a few gougers (Male) at the stuff too.

Just went back and had a look at the contents to see what the men get that the ladies don't - its a very short list. Rise UP - this is blatant discrimination!!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Trampas wrote: »
    I'm just hoping to run at this stage as baby due last week and still no sign of them.

You're a male right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Best of luck to you all on Sunday.
    I have only done the DCM once (last year) and its definitely one of the best in terms of atmosphere and friendliest. Enjoy every minute, whether you are running for 180 or 300+, getting to the start line in shape to give it a go is half the battle for a marathon.

Give it socks

*I am available for individual motivational pep talks.....PM me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭ooter

Was photo ID always necessary to collect your number at the expo or is it a new thing, don't recall having to do that before?
    Does anyone know if an expired provisional driving licence will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ooter wrote: »
    Was photo ID always necessary to collect your number at the expo or is it a new thing, don't recall having to do that before?

I believe there have been cases of people showing up to collect their number, and being told that someone already collected it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Yeah I've always been asked for id.

In town today and it's fairly warm! T shirt weather with the sun out.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭gigantic09

[quote="ooter;105098939"
    Does anyone know if an expired provisional driving licence will do?[/quote]

I'm sure that will be sufficient. Probably not great if you were competing in a formula 1 race but should be grand here. :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

ooter wrote: »

Just collected my number, and they never asked for a photo ID.

Queues at lunch time were pretty mad... 15 min queue to get to the desk. Probably ease off later. Tomorrow could be pretty busy.

If you driving there... Don't drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

I had my photo ID checked at the registration desk. I also saw someone being turned away as they didn’t have any (although nor did they have the form printed off).

Seemed like they just issue numbers from a pile – i.e, your race number is not pre-assigned. However, she just seemed to have one pile of numbers (maybe I’m wrong though), so not sure how your number indicates which wave you should be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Did a 5 mile recovery around Ballsbridge, mental Q's outside the front door at 11:55. Popped around the back, in the staff entrance and out with my number and bag before the expo had even opened its doors. #bestexpoever
    Oh and I got a bar of Lily O'Brien's:)

• Advertisement

Peckham wrote: »
    I had my photo ID checked at the registration desk. I also saw someone being turned away as they didn’t have any (although nor did they have the form printed off).

Seemed like they just issue numbers from a pile – i.e, your race number is not pre-assigned. However, she just seemed to have one pile of numbers (maybe I’m wrong though), so not sure how your number indicates which wave you should be in.

I think each of the registration people at the desks had access to 3-4 boxes of numbers. When you turn up, you are just allocated the next available number in your wave. I'm in wave 1 and got a low number in orange. The person before me got 12,xxx number from a different box in purple. The bib colours correspond to the wave starts...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Just collected my number, and they never asked for a photo ID.

Queues at lunch time were pretty mad... 15 min queue to get to the desk. Probably ease off later. Tomorrow could be pretty busy.

If you driving there... Don't drive...

Yeah, same as. No queue getting to the desk when I arrived, but it was only getting busier as I was leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    |echancrure|2:49:20|2:48:59|
    |diego_b|3:43:41|3:39:30|
    |robinph|2:49:44|2:49:59|
    |ISOP|4:18:55|4:15:00|
    |hot buttered scones|3:21:45|3:09:59|
    |davedanon|3:14:18|3:09:59|
    |Lazare|n/a|3:58:xx|
    |withcheeseplease|2:59:58|2:59:57|
    |Damo 2k9|n/a|3:59:59|
    |DC.|2:56:02|2:44:00|
    |Dexter50|4:14:19|4:10:00|
    4591|Wubble Wubble|3:49:01|3:29:59|
    |RedRunner|3:52:30|4:15:00|
    |apjb82|3:35:15|3:10:00|
    |CCR|2:59:52|3:29:59|
    |Peckham|2:58:27|3:44:59|
    |Krusty_Clown|2:30:01|2:34:59|
    |Derco|4:16:04|4:12:59|
    |Spirogyra|3:59:02|3:39:59
    |Unthought Known|4:16:44|3:44:59|
    |HibernianRunner|3:28:22|3:24:00|
    |Slow_Runner|3:42:26|3:33:xx|
    |Fiftyplus|3:29:45|3:29:44|
    |Murph_D|3:28:28|3:19:59|
    |ThePiedPiper|2:49:00|3:19:59|
    |TFBubendorfer|2:55:07|3:15:00|
    |jaggiebunnet|3:32:39|3:24:59|
    |Jakey Rolling|3:27:15|3:29:59|
    |Eric the Eagle|3:26:25|3:19:59|
    |El Caballo|3:15:29|3:11:29|
    |Trampas|3:18:41|3:20:01|
    |boykev|4:00:56|3:29:30|

Updated to include bib number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Popping into the expo to try and find a pair of fastwitch I can try on

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    |echancrure|2:49:20|2:48:59|
    |diego_b|3:43:41|3:39:30|
    |robinph|2:49:44|2:49:59|
    |ISOP|4:18:55|4:15:00|
    |hot buttered scones|3:21:45|3:09:59|
    |davedanon|3:14:18|3:09:59|
    |Lazare|n/a|3:58:xx|
    |withcheeseplease|2:59:58|2:59:57|
    |Damo 2k9|n/a|3:59:59|
    |DC.|2:56:02|2:44:00|
    |Dexter50|4:14:19|4:10:00|
    4591|Wubble Wubble|3:49:01|3:29:59|
    |RedRunner|3:52:30|4:15:00|
    |apjb82|3:35:15|3:10:00|
    |CCR|2:59:52|3:29:59|
    |Peckham|2:58:27|3:44:59|
    |Krusty_Clown|2:30:01|2:34:59|
    |Derco|4:16:04|4:12:59|
    |Spirogyra|3:59:02|3:39:59
    |Unthought Known|4:16:44|3:44:59|
    |HibernianRunner|3:28:22|3:24:00|
    |Slow_Runner|3:42:26|3:33:xx|
    |Fiftyplus|3:29:45|3:29:44|
    |Murph_D|3:28:28|3:19:59|
    |ThePiedPiper|2:49:00|3:19:59|
    |TFBubendorfer|2:55:07|3:15:00|
    |jaggiebunnet|3:32:39|3:24:59|
    |Jakey Rolling|3:27:15|3:29:59|
    |Eric the Eagle|3:26:25|3:19:59|
    |El Caballo|3:15:29|3:11:29|
    |Trampas|3:18:41|3:20:01|
    |boykev|4:00:56|3:29:30|
    1942|MisterDrak|3:07:24|3:14:00|

Somebody removed me ? + Bib Number[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm conflicted.

On one hand, i'm delighted I got my lily o briens chocolate

On the other hand, i obviously look like a girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I remember getting a goody bag after the race last year, did we get stuff before hand too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Was there any souvenir booklet this year?,i didn't get one--although it's 95% the same every year anyways.
    I got number 20xxx,i'l probably finish in that position too:o
    Towel is useful,3 cliff shot packets for €10 and 6 gels for €10 was good value,other than that glad to be out of it and home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'm a girl and I got no Lilly O'Briens or Red Bull! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Is there baggage area inside the 'Start-Zone' ? does one have to enter the start-zone and then go to the baggage area ? or is it somewhere else entirely ? S

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Is there baggage area inside the 'Start-Zone' ? does one have to enter the start-zone and then go to the baggage area ? or is it somewhere else entirely ? S

You'll have to go past the baggage area to get to the coloured start zones, the only way in should be from Merion Square west(?). It will be crowded though so get there early and have a bin bag to wear to keep you warm'ish after you've dropped your bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

best of luck Robin and to all the other boardsies running on Sunday, give it welly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

robinph wrote: »
    You'll have to go past the baggage area to get to the coloured start zones, the only way in should be from Merion Square west(?). It will be crowded though so get there early and have a bin bag to wear to keep you warm'ish after you've dropped your bag.

I nearly killed myself on a bin bag at the half in Donabate (albeit that was a mental start). Just bring an old jumper and it will be given to the homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Thanks and the start zones/baggage areas are coloured in accordance with 'our wave' is that it ? Baggage areas are 'coloured' also ? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I nearly killed myself on a bin bag at the half in Donabate (albeit that was a mental start). Just bring an old jumper and it will be given to the homeless.

People need to learn how to throw properly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

People need to learn how to throw properly. :)

:pac::pac:
    What time will you get in position for the 9am wave Robin?

Thanks and the start zones/baggage areas are coloured in accordance with 'our wave' is that it ? Baggage areas are 'coloured' also ? :)

The number colour and wave colour should be the same.

No telling without knowing the way numbers are assigned, but dropping off the bag will be based on your number and that should be signed in the baggage drop off area. With any luck they should have it setup so that the numbers are not sequential based on predicted finish time though as that would just cause congestion at baggage reclaim. Best if numbers are randomly assigned.

:pac::pac:
    What time will you get in position for the 9am wave Robin?

Never quite sure how early I'd get in position, but you just get a sense of when from the number of people milling about. I would just be trying to avoid any last minute hassle as much as possible. I'd expect to be in the actual start area before half 8. When the area is still empty you can still get a bit of a mini warm up done before it gets properly crowded.

Make sure you make use of a loo if you see a short queue (regardless of if you need to or not). Drop the bag off as soon as you can and make sure you are in the right area. If planning to follow a pacer then figure out where they are starting from and make sure you are behind them crossing the line, the crowd will shuffle forwards before the start but make sure you keep behind the pacer by a few rows. If starting from the front then watch out for which side the Garda runners are starting from and get to the other side of the pack as they cause a rolling road block. But I'll be trying to stick to the left hand side of the road for the first half mile as because there are right hand turns it will be much less crowded on the left so can avoid getting tripped as everyone cuts in on the corner.

baggage areas are not coloured.

They are in blocks 1-500, 501-1000, 1501-2000, etc

you go to the block that your number is in, they take your bag and line it up in a row in that block so it can be found quickly afterwards

Everyone passes the bag drop area on the way in, it's all along one side of the square (opposite the finish line)

YOU MUST USE THE BAG YOU GET AT THE EXPO FOR THE BAG DROP

• Advertisement

Advertisement