Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I have done some 5 mile races and I have done 2 x half marathons - I trained reasonably well for (1:45) and one i didn't really train at all (1:58)
    I did a sprint triathlon recently too in (1:36)
    My runs range from 4 - 7 miles usually about 3-4 times per week over the last two months

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How long ago did you run the halfs?

Dublin Half 2014 & Omagh Half 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you were trained for a marathon, and ran that 10 mile race in 74 minutes, I'd say you were capable of running under 4 hours.

But if you haven't been doing any long runs then you probably don't have the endurance to maintain that pace. So you'd be better off aiming for a slower time, and running at that slower pace from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

I was thinking of plodding around but still aiming to hit 4 hours - is it possible or would it be too tough in peoples opinion. The furthest I have ever ran was 18 miles about 2 years ago.

Last year I was injured and only got 8 weeks solid training in before the marathon, honestly thought I'd still sneak under 4 hours but I ended up finishing in 4:09.
    I reckon sub 4 would be too tough but best of luck if you do decide to go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Heres the deal:
    I signed up for the marathon a way back and decided not to do it about 6-7 weeks ago when I couldn't commit to the training. However I am starting to get tempted this week.

I have never ran a marathon before but I have some friends & family doing it this year. I do run regularly (but not the distances required for marathon training - about 100mile per month the last two months) around Dublin and other places. I recently competed in a 10mile race in a forest on a tough course and completed it in a time of 74mins.

I was thinking of plodding around but still aiming to hit 4 hours - is it possible or would it be too tough in peoples opinion. The furthest I have ever ran was 18 miles about 2 years ago.

When I ran my first marathon, back in the dark ages of history when there was no information on the internet on how to train for a marathon yet, I trained even less than you did. I had hoped to beat 4 hours but ended up doing 4:07, and the last 8 miles were not the best fun I've ever had with cramps and all, but I got it done.

So yes, it's definitely possible and 4 hours isn't out of the question but be prepared for a rather painful last hour.

What  would be the pace tactic be if i decided to try and run 4.10 - is it just a case of trying to maintain 9m 30s the whole way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

What  would be the pace tactic be if i decided to try and run 4.10 - is it just a case of trying to maintain 9m 30s the whole way around?

I'm in a similar boat - did the half, 1 x 18 and 1 x 10. Few other 5 and 10k runs but nowhere enough.

I did the 18 @ 4 hour pace, but don't think i could have done another 8 miles at that, so I'm just gonna try to run 9:30's all the way and stick with the 4:10 pacer and try to enjoy it. If i slip back a bit, well I only have myself to blame!

Yes. There are also pacers for that time, you could follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    |echancrure|2:49:20|2:48:59|
    |diego_b|3:43:41|3:39:30|
    |robinph|2:49:44|2:49:59|
    |ISOP|4:18:55|4:15:00|
    |hot buttered scones|3:21:45|3:09:59|
    |davedanon|3:14:18|3:09:59|
    |Lazare|n/a|3:58:xx|
    |withcheeseplease|2:59:58|2:59:57|
    |Damo 2k9|n/a|3:59:59|
    |DC.|2:56:02|2:44:00|
    |Dexter50|4:14:19|4:10:00|
    |Wubble Wubble|3:49:01|3:29:59|
    |RedRunner|3:52:30|4:15:00|
    |apjb82|3:35:15|3:10:00|
    |CCR|2:59:52|3:29:59|
    |Peckham|2:58:27|3:44:59|
    |Krusty_Clown|2:30:01|2:34:59|
    |Derco|4:16:04|4:12:59|
    |Spirogyra|3:59:02|3:39:59
    |Unthought Known|4:16:44|3:44:59|
    |HibernianRunner|3:28:22|3:24:00|
    |Slow_Runner|3:42:26|3:33:xx|
    |Fiftyplus|3:29:45|3:29:44|
    |Murph_D|3:28:28|3:19:59|
    |ThePiedPiper|2:49:00|3:19:59|
    |TFBubendorfer|2:55:07|3:15:00|
    |jaggiebunnet|3:32:39|3:24:59|
    |Jakey Rolling|3:27:15|3:29:59|

Just did a quick 5 miles to check out my sore bits - not fully right but should be good for at least 20 miles.. will go for 3:30 and see how it pans out!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'm hoping I'll be okay. The arch of my foot has been sore since just before the half.
    I've been making it about 15 miles lately before it starts to slow me down.
    My last run was yesterday, and I plan on doing as little as possible with my feet before then, but I will keep cycling.
    Hopefully I can power through on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Any 4:10 pacers post here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Yes but the last 8 miles are still going to be a real grind regardless of the pace. Best advice is to keep running during that period of the race as once you stop to walk/stretch time goes out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Derco wrote: »
    Any 4:10 pacers post here?

Regardless of the time band all will be under the same orders. Aim to get in 30 seconds under your allocated time and all miles to be paced as evenly as possible.

If you want to meet them go to the pacer stand at the expo (assuming their is one as usual).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Will others here listen to music ? or write their name on their shirts ?. I don't think I'll do the former, better to take in the atmosphere,not sure about the latter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Heres the deal:
    I signed up for the marathon a way back and decided not to do it about 6-7 weeks ago when I couldn't commit to the training. However I am starting to get tempted this week.

I have never ran a marathon before but I have some friends & family doing it this year. I do run regularly (but not the distances required for marathon training - about 100mile per month the last two months) around Dublin and other places. I recently competed in a 10mile race in a forest on a tough course and completed it in a time of 74mins.

Do it. If u were you id run until we leave the park (9). I'd throw in half mile walks every 3 or 4 miles from there.Will def enjoy the experience more then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

Maybe aim to go through half way in 2:10 and see how you feel from there, pick it up a bit from there if you're feeling good till mile 20 and then drop the hammer if you're still ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Will others here listen to music ? or write their name on their shirts ?. I don't think I'll do the former, better to take in the atmosphere,not sure about the latter :)

Its my second marathon and I did bring music with me for my first. I found it great for some of the more boring stretches between km 22 and 32 (in Seville). Sometimes, its f##king great to hear some music to spur you on! Just gave me something else to do aswell on the run and I remember being very glad of it.

People will say its dangerous (re: ambulances etc), and what about the atmosphere. You're not using noise cancelling cans, its just earbuds. You can still hear around you, but it just gives you a little different focus and I found them great.

You're not using noise cancelling cans, its just earbuds. You can still hear around you, but it just gives you a little different focus and I found them great.

None of the people I've seen being repeatedly shouted at to gain their attention while they ran on oblivious to what was going on around them have been wearing noise cancelling cans, just earbuds :)

(most recently in the Dublin half, the guy who couldn't hear a garda motorbike coming up the road behind him)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The great thing about the Dublin marathon is the buzz coming from the spectators. No other race in Ireland comes even close.

If you're wearing headphones you are blocking out all the positive energy coming from the sidelines. I ran my first marathon with headphones but never again! It really isn't a good idea, not from an enjoyment perspective and definitely not from a safety one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

noelearly wrote: »
    Do it. If u were you id run until we leave the park (9). I'd throw in half mile walks every 3 or 4 miles from there.Will def enjoy the experience more then.
    Sticking in short walking sections will massively improve your chances of getting round in one piece and will hardly affect your time, probably improve it. Even just walking for 30-60 seconds at each water station will help massively (but make sure you are out of the main path of runners so you don't create a road block). The earlier you start doing the walk breaks the easier it is to do, and to get started running again after the walk. If you leave it until you need to walk then it's too late to be of benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Where's the best place to get a quick shower after the marathon (if anywhere)? I have to head out to the airport in the afternoon and I'd rather not be stinking getting on a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Aren't all runners explicitly requested not to wear headphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Where's the best place to get a quick shower after the marathon (if anywhere)? I have to head out to the airport in the afternoon and I'd rather not be stinking getting on a plane.

Flyefit gym (handily very close to McGrattan's) does a day pass for €10: http://www.flyefit.ie/prices/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Murph_D wrote: »

Noticed those dodgy Planet T times a while back. All very suspiciously under Boston qualifier times while missing mats. Reported them to that marathon cheat watchdog guy!

There's an interesting article today on marathoninvestigation.com today about Planet Tours. In relation to dodgy goings on in Quebec. He mentions he's investigating them in other marathons too...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Eric the Eagle

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    |echancrure|2:49:20|2:48:59|
    |diego_b|3:43:41|3:39:30|
    |robinph|2:49:44|2:49:59|
    |ISOP|4:18:55|4:15:00|
    |hot buttered scones|3:21:45|3:09:59|
    |davedanon|3:14:18|3:09:59|
    |Lazare|n/a|3:58:xx|
    |withcheeseplease|2:59:58|2:59:57|
    |Damo 2k9|n/a|3:59:59|
    |DC.|2:56:02|2:44:00|
    |Dexter50|4:14:19|4:10:00|
    |Wubble Wubble|3:49:01|3:29:59|
    |RedRunner|3:52:30|4:15:00|
    |apjb82|3:35:15|3:10:00|
    |CCR|2:59:52|3:29:59|
    |Peckham|2:58:27|3:44:59|
    |Krusty_Clown|2:30:01|2:34:59|
    |Derco|4:16:04|4:12:59|
    |Spirogyra|3:59:02|3:39:59
    |Unthought Known|4:16:44|3:44:59|
    |HibernianRunner|3:28:22|3:24:00|
    |Slow_Runner|3:42:26|3:33:xx|
    |Fiftyplus|3:29:45|3:29:44|
    |Murph_D|3:28:28|3:19:59|
    |ThePiedPiper|2:49:00|3:19:59|
    |TFBubendorfer|2:55:07|3:15:00|
    |jaggiebunnet|3:32:39|3:24:59|
    |Jakey Rolling|3:27:15|3:29:59|
    |Eric the Eagle|3:26:25|3:19:59|

Adding myself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I will be listening to the music of the supporters cheering us on and the beat of the footsteps of those around me. That is music to my ears !;)

Will be heading to the airport after a pint or two also. Think my shower will just consist of use of a few wet wipes stolen from the kids nappy bag and a can of deodorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Will others here listen to music ?

God, no. I can’t think of a more clueless, not to mention anti-social thing to do in any race, never mind a well supported city marathon like Dublin.

There was a guy in the ¾ marathon a few weeks ago. Club runner. Earbuds. The event was on roads open to traffic and your man is running in middle of road oblivious to cars building up behind him, and to other runners trying to warn him to pull in. The drivers eventually get impatient and take actions that put other runners at risk.

Clueless. Don’t do it. Rookie error. You’ll never go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Jeez a few people in the sub 3:20 target group, possibly following the pacers. No pressure then, no chips or burgers for me this evening :)

Good luck to you all, please do introduce yourself on Sunday morning. Except you Murph, I already know you!

Advertisement