Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yep. Morning Turkish is always from that gate

Strikes me as odd but sure... I am assuming that they could change that if they were so inclined - or willing to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Strikes me as odd but sure... I am assuming that they could change that if they were so inclined - or willing to pay?

Pier 3 is packed and they could easily be left sitting on taxiway waiting for a stand. Pier 1 is an absolute trek. So from an operational and customer point of view, Pier 2 is probably the best of a bad lot in t1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

DUB-LGW routes seem to have given up busing at the LGW end, they seem to have moved to the new domestic gates @LGW . The holding pens here are far too small for a 738/320 so get extremely crowded and theres no loo ( for a new gate sigh )

downside: far longer walk to get from plane door to arrivals concourse

same length of walk mostly to departure gate. Be aware its the low numbers so NOT the usual long arm that the planes used to go from.

upside (maybe) - no busing - but I liked the busing as it made for a very short walk at the end of the ride

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

trellheim wrote: »
    DUB-LGW routes seem to have given up busing at the LGW end, they seem to have moved to the new domestic gates @LGW . The holding pens here are far too small for a 738/320 so get extremely crowded and theres no loo ( for a new gate sigh )

downside: far longer walk to get from plane door to arrivals concourse

same length of walk mostly to departure gate. Be aware its the low numbers so NOT the usual long arm that the planes used to go from.

upside (maybe) - no busing - but I liked the busing as it made for a very short walk at the end of the ride
    Oh are these the new gates right beside the railway?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

Its reduced for me the attraction of Gatwick as a really nice airport to fly to , others may differ , ya cant argue with the train connections tho until crossrail comes in .

PS Gatwick still the best airport tho for London by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Anybody travelled on the direct Cathay pacific flight from Dublin to Hong Kong? I was chatting to a friend of mine who goes over there with business quite a bit and said it is great. He said the last 3 times he has been on it that the planes are totally full in both directions. He also said he has been trying to book it over the coming weeks and they are sold out.

Great to see such strong demand on that route, it must be very profitable.

I travelled on the Cathay Pacific flight in January and it was nowhere near full (especially on the return leg), so I did wonder if it would be sustainable. Good to hear it's doing well now.

The European manager for Cathay Pacific said the route is performing very well and ahead of its expectations. I suppose January and February would probably be the quietest months of the year.

No doubt this route will also clean up in September and October with the Rugby world cup in Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭blackwhite

AFAIK it's getting quite a bit of connecting traffic for Singapore and Kuala Lumpar in the business cabin

Is AFAIK the hong kong route with cathay pacific? sorry not in the know with these letters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Is AFAIK the hong kong route with cathay pacific? sorry not in the know with these letters :)

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/afaik

;)

Haha whoops

Its reduced for me the attraction of Gatwick as a really nice airport to fly to , others may differ , ya cant argue with the train connections tho until crossrail comes in .

I definitely use LGW the most and I think it’s great but LHR T2 is the best experience I’ve had for London, last time I used it I was at my hotel in Earls Court less than an hour after landing via the tube, I find it modern and things just flow and you sail through.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Surely that depends though, upon where in London you’re going to? It’s a big place!!

For anywhere in west London, LHR makes more sense, and LCY for east London etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

likes lxflyer says, the place is so big, it really depends where you are going, if its central london. London city, followed by heathrow, will likely be the best...

London City is a handy airport, used it a few times. I find Gatwick pretty decent but I find Heathrow an awful place. To be honest I find London grim in general so I am usually pretty keen to get out of there regardless of where I am flying from.

One of the worst airports I have ever been to is Edinburgh. It always surprises me as it is such a nice city and one I really enjoy travelling to. I just cannot understand how such a nice city has such an awful looking airport (outside and in), leaving a very bad first impression of what is otherwise a very nice place to visit.

I actually think Dublin airport is under rated. It has its issues at times like all airports do but Terminal 2 in particular is really nice, the staff are friendly and I think it moves well considering there are 33 million people going through it. I also feel like you get a sense of place when you arrive there, nice images of Ireland. So many international airports do very little to sell the actual destination but I think Dublin does this better than most with the images of Dublin and Ireland throughout. Maybe I am in the minority who think Dublin airport is one of the nicer capital city airports in Europe.

I should have added that the transport links from Dublin Airport to the city are very poor but in fairness the DAA are hardly to blame for that. The metro will be a game changer when it happens, just wish they would get on with it. It is embarrassing at this stage that we don't have a rail / metro link from Dublin airport to the city. That is the one real let down!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LXFlyer wrote: »
    As someone else says - just avoid peak time first wave flights and the problem diminishes.

To say that your post is an over-reaction is putting it mildly.

There is a non-peak time at Dublin Airport? I have departed at 6am, 11am, 2pm, 6pm and there's very little difference. It's slightly easier if there's no US flights, but to have that proviso isn't a solution if you have no choice on time.

The only time I see it quiet was arriving in around 8pm on a Saturday evening in Summer. All other times, it's mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

dfx- wrote: »
    There is a non-peak time at Dublin Airport? I have departed at 6am, 11am, 2pm, 6pm and there's very little difference. It's slightly easier if there's no US flights, but to have that proviso isn't a solution if you have no choice on time.

The only time I see it quiet was arriving in around 8pm on a Saturday evening in Summer. All other times, it's mental.

There certainly are peaks and troughs - one look at the full scheduled list of departures for any given day on FR24 will tell you that.

I am inclined to agree there is very little off peak in Dublin airport. I am a relatively frequent user of the airport and quiet times are becoming very few and far between. The growth in passenger numbers has been remarkable over the past 6-7 years. At this rate they could be heading for about 33-34 million passengers in 2019. I think Dublin Airport is somewhere around 12th in the whole of Europe for passenger numbers. if you were to look at Ireland and UK as a whole for air traffic, Dublin is the 3rd busiest airport after London Heathrow and Gatwick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yup, cheap to fly into compared to LCY and LHR. Straight into the city center with the Thameslink in 35 min for £8. All things considered it's hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Ireland trains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hard to be overly surprised by this, especially with HK nearby, & CP (apparently) doing so well.

I do hope the Dublin Beijing route survives though.

Not surprised by the closure of the Shenzhen route, always seemed a strange one to me with Dublin already having direct access to Beijing and Hong Kong. There was probably very little awareness of the route. I hear Hong Kong route is doing very well and it would be good for the Beijing route to stay. I think there are 100k Chinese visitors flying to Dublin now, that number has been on the increase in recent years even though it is off a small base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Unless I'm misreading it does that article not also say the Beijing route has been dropped..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Yep, and there removing Edinburgh as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That's a pity.

So HK with CP will be only direct far east service for the forseeable?

• Advertisement

Unless I'm misreading it does that article not also say the Beijing route has been dropped..?

No I think the Beijing route is staying. There had previously been a mention of it being cut but didn’t end up being the case. My understanding is the Dublin Beijing route is unaffected

Advertisement