Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

tanya1987 wrote: »
    When is YUL (montreal) due to start with aer lingus? Is it even staring at all

Aer Lingus: 'Postponement of the commencement of the Dublin to Montreal service, due to start on 8th August, to summer 2020'

https://mediacentre.aerlingus.com/news/04032019/changes-to-aer-lingus-summer-2019-schedule

We're still weeks, if not a couple of months away from an official Summer 2020 transatlantic schedule being announced so it's best to wait until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Has the retail offering in T2 been reduced somewhat? Wanted to get some sweets and chocolate but theres feck all bar a few sorry looking stalls outside the main shop. Drink and perfumes seems to be all they are bothered with. It used be better before they went “improving “ it lately
    T1 way better really for shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

road_high wrote: »
    Has the retail offering in T2 been reduced somewhat? Wanted to get some sweets and chocolate but theres feck all bar a few sorry looking stalls outside the main shop. Drink and perfumes seems to be all they are bothered with. It used be better before they went “improving “ it lately
    T1 way better really for shopping

Has the newsagent (WH Smith's I think) in back right corner been removed??

thebiglad wrote: »

No still there, beside Avoca. There’d usually a better selection in the main “duty free” than Smiths. Seems to be a new Hugo Boss shop opening soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

thebiglad wrote: »

It was still there as of a couple weeks ago anyway. I've always thought its food offerings much poorer than Boots though. I always miss the Boots in T1 when flying through T2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

road_high wrote: »
    No still there, beside Avoca. There’d usually a better selection in the main “duty free” than Smiths. Seems to be a new Hugo Boss shop opening soon too.

I’m guessing the confectionary area has been reduced as part of the ongoing remodeling. Saw it last week, it was a pretty dismal amount of choice.

Tenger wrote: »
    I’m guessing the confectionary area has been reduced as part of the ongoing remodeling. Saw it last week, it was a pretty dismal amount of choice.

Often buy little things there for the kids you can’t get elsewhere like Kinder stuff. Very little of that in T2. I presume the remodeling is being only done to force people to walk through the store whereas as before it was to the left. The Loop in T2 is pretty crap really unless you want booze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Emirates doesn't seem pleased about Dublin airport at the minute.

https://fora.ie/emirates-dublin-airport-infrastructural-negative-4744690-Jul2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Emirates doesn't seem pleased about Dublin airport at the minute.

https://fora.ie/emirates-dublin-airport-infrastructural-negative-4744690-Jul2019/

So basically they'd like a better service for less money. As a passenger I wish for the same from the airlines!

That article does make us wonder if they were able to, would they switch to the A380 if room wasn't an issue ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The same old chestnut. If DUB was the big money spinner and demand was there for a 3rd flight it would happen. EK turn down the opportunity to make money at DUB and leave it to there competitors because of gates. The airline need all the money they can get these days.

Still lots of capacity to M East and dirt cheap fares. QR expanding again in summer 2020.
    That article does make us wonder if they were able to, would they switch to the A380 if room wasn't an issue ?

Unlikely.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I suspect that the answer to that would be that if a 380 can carry more cargo and passengers than the 777, and achieve an acceptable load factor for both, there is a strong case for using it, given their comments about the load mix.

The fact that it's currently not possible to operate a 380 into Dublin, and the infrastructure has significant defects that will mean it will be some time before 380 operations are feasible is more than likely a source of considerable irritation to Emirates, and they do seem to be doing things correctly in other respects.

It's become very clear that DAA have lost the plot in terms of the way that Dublin is being managed, there are too many structural issues that seem to be being either long fingered or completely ignored, and at some point, the users (airlines AND passengers) are going to make their dissatisfaction clear.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Wonder whats up with Ethiopian Airlines. I have (had?) tickets booked for december and they text me to say my outbound flight was changed to a day later. Strangely for the inbound flights they can take me to ADD but cancelled the flight from ADD to DUB altogether with no alternative offered.
    Their outbound flight is also showing as fuel stopping in Brussels instead of Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Jacovs wrote: »
    Wonder whats up with Ethiopian Airlines. I have (had?) tickets booked for december and they text me to say my outbound flight was changed to a day later. Strangely for the inbound flights they can take me to ADD but cancelled the flight from ADD to DUB altogether with no alternative offered.
    Their outbound flight is also showing as fuel stopping in Brussels instead of Madrid.

Lot of carriers start confirming winter schedules this time of year

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Lot of carriers start confirming winter schedules this time of year

Will have to see what recourse we have for losing a day and also having 1 leg of the return trip cancelled leaving us stranded in ADD.

For the purpose of this thread im more curious about the switch from Madrid to Brussels for their tech stop. Will they have the 5th freedom rights from the start or will it be the same as Madrid started out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Will have to see what recourse we have for losing a day and also having 1 leg of the return trip cancelled leaving us stranded in ADD.

For the purpose of this thread im more curious about the switch from Madrid to Brussels for their tech stop. Will they have the 5th freedom rights from the start or will it be the same as Madrid started out.

Presumably they are changing the days of operation of DUB-ADD and v.v.

You need to check with them what days they are operating the Dublin route and they should either rebook you on those days or offer a refund.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Presumably they are changing the days of operation of DUB-ADD and v.v.

You need to check with them what days they are operating the Dublin route and they should either rebook you on those days or offer a refund.

Will be doing that on monday. Just a bit odd if they changed their days of operation then why do an automatic change for a day later on the outbound leg but for inbound they cancel half the leg and not just change it by a day too.

Wonder will there be an announcement from them stopping MAD flights and starting BRU flights instead if they do have 5th rights.

Will be doing that on monday. Just a bit odd if they changed their days of operation then why do an automatic change for a day later on the outbound leg but for inbound they cancel half the leg and not just change it by a day too.

Wonder will there be an announcement from them stopping MAD flights and starting BRU flights instead if they do have 5th rights.

Did they not offer any replacement between ADD and DUB?

That doesn’t sound right at all. But it may be that it’s now three days per week for example with a three day lag between flights on the Dublin route at one point, which coincides with your arrival into ADD from your other flight.

You need to talk directly with them.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Did they not offer any replacement between ADD and DUB?

That doesn’t sound right at all.

Nope. They did say to contact them or agency "for updates". Presumably that means to discuss options.
    Only option onwards from ADD to DUB seems to be via LHR for that specific date. Which means I have to apply for a transit visa for UK, adding costs on top of the €2500 flights.

Nope. They did say to contact them or agency "for updates". Presumably that means to discuss options.
    Only option onwards from ADD to DUB seems to be via LHR for that specific date. Which means I have to apply for a transit visa for UK, adding costs on top of the €2500 flights.

Then it sounds like the days of operation to/from Dublin have changed leaving you with a long layover in ADD (several days).

Unfortunately airline timetables are never formally finalised until about 2-3 months before the bi-annual summer/winter seasonal changeovers which take place on the last weekends in March and October when the clocks change.

As I said - talk to them directly to get alternative options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I tried to book DUB MAD a few weeks ago and thought it strange it wasn’t bookable at all. Maybe there is some truth to it.

Doesn’t bode well for the Dublin service with this much chopping and changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The mates and I have ditched short trips to the uk etc , due to the farce that is dublin airport. Continually sitting on the runway for nearly an hour before take off gets old. Total joke of an airport, I am referring mainly to the issues with lack of stands , the separation between aircraft, resulting in sitting on the runway forever, is another farce!

what effect will this new runway have in terms of the gridlock on the ground there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Ireland trains

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Still lots of capacity to M East and dirt cheap fares. QR expanding again in summer 2020.

Unlikely.

What are QR expanding to. Twice daily?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The mates and I have ditched short trips to the uk etc , due to the farce that is dublin airport. Continually sitting on the runway for nearly an hour before take off gets old. Total joke of an airport, I am referring mainly to the issues with lack of stands , the separation between aircraft, resulting in sitting on the runway forever, is another farce!

what effect will this new runway have in terms of the gridlock on the ground there ?

Try book flights that dont leave at peak times is one solution.

New runway will speed it up for sure but there will always be a little bit of gridlock at that bottle neck by T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

They made serious enquiries of the DAA about changing the morning flight to A380 a few years ago, potential taxiway works and special procedures were examined by DAA & ATC. It wasn't feasible. A380 carries less cargo than 777 also. 8,000 tonnes of cargo in a year divided by 4 flights per day = just under 5.5 tonnes per flight. Emirates say their 77Ws can carry up to 23 tonnes of cargo with a full passenger load, so that may show how payload restricted they are out of DUB. I've heard of them having to offload 20 odd tonnes of freight, bags and pax on hot summer days in DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

HTCOne wrote: »
    They made serious enquiries of the DAA about changing the morning flight to A380 a few years ago, potential taxiway works and special procedures were examined by DAA & ATC. It wasn't feasible. A380 carries less cargo than 777 also. 8,000 tonnes of cargo in a year divided by 4 flights per day = just under 5.5 tonnes per flight. Emirates say their 77Ws can carry up to 23 tonnes of cargo with a full passenger load, so that may show how payload restricted they are out of DUB. I've heard of them having to offload 20 odd tonnes of freight, bags and pax on hot summer days in DUB.

DXB is barley half the 77W's range away from DUB, even with a full load of pax and cargo, it'll be no where near MTOW. I'd seriously doubt they've ever had to offload anyone or thing.

It can happen on the rare occasion on the EI flights to LAX and SFO but the 777's TO performance is phenomenal and a hot day wont impact a short hop to DXB (short in relative terms of the 777's designed missions).

If you’re sitting on the runway for an hour then you have a serious problem as nothing else would be able to land or take off.

I think you mean holding on the apron or taxiways.

As someone else says - just avoid peak time first wave flights and the problem diminishes.

To say that your post is an over-reaction is putting it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I think you mean holding on the apron or taxiways.
    yes thats what I mean and at peak times, I have consistently been sat on the bloody plane for nearly an hour after push back. Its a total and utter joke!

What is stopping them reducing the separation between aircraft?

the whole point about the 5-6pm flights that we would take on a friday, was that people didnt have to take a day off work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

What is stopping them reducing the separation between aircraft?

Ehhhhh the whole safety thing..! You do know ATC don't have a choice when it comes to separation right! Heck not even the DAA or IAA have a choice.... its the law!

• Advertisement

What are QR expanding to. Twice daily?

Id assume so. Read recently that there considering switching to the a350 as well.

Advertisement