Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Jacovs

As far as im aware the direct Beijing route is staying, I think that is twice weekly. Its the other twice weekly Beijing via Edinburgh that is stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Just tried booking a flight with Hainan to/from Beijing for several dates in November and it’s coming up unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Just tried booking a flight with Hainan to/from Beijing for several dates in November and it’s coming up unavailable.

That is strange, I think it is just the Edinburgh leg that is affected. Edinburgh seems to have a very tough time holding onto flights, airlines seem to axe routes there quite a bit (perhaps relating to airport charges??).

For some perspective Dublin airport had nearly 32 million passengers in 2018, Edinburgh had only 14 million.

Dublin actually gets considerably more traffic than Edinburgh and Glasgow airports combined, in fact if you add Belfast airport numbers on top of those two then Dublin still has more!!!

That is strange, I think it is just the Edinburgh leg that is affected. Edinburgh seems to have a very tough time holding onto flights, airlines seem to axe routes there quite a bit (perhaps relating to airport charges??).

For some perspective Dublin airport had nearly 32 million passengers in 2018, Edinburgh had only 14 million.

Dublin actually gets considerably more traffic than Edinburgh and Glasgow airports combined, in fact if you add Belfast airport numbers on top of those two then Dublin still has more!!!

Well the fact that DUB-PEK is unavailable to book would suggest otherwise.

Well the fact that DUB-PEK is unavailable to book would suggest otherwise.

Yes but that happened last time too and then the bookings opened again, I think it was a few months ago this happened as bookings were closed but then reopened again. Perhaps a seasonal thing?

• Advertisement

Dublin airport +4% for July 2019 numbers, highest monthly total in their history. Averaging more than 110k passengers per day, incredible!

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2019/08/09/record-month-at-dublin-airport-with-3.5m-passengers-in-july

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

Dublin airport +4% for July 2019 numbers, highest monthly total in their history. Averaging more than 110k passengers per day, incredible!

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2019/08/09/record-month-at-dublin-airport-with-3.5m-passengers-in-july

Great to see. Though the second runway can't come online soon enough.

Paris Orly's days as Europe's 12th busiest airport could be numbered.

Blut2 wrote: »

Yes 2nd runway can’t come soon enough. The big challenge will also be the debate on number of flights permitted at night. Endless growth opportunities (even factoring in brexit effect) if international airlines can get the slots they want when there are two runways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Blut2 wrote: »

Well if Dublin is 11th per the DAA press release, are you saying Orly at 12 could overtake it if the runway isn't built?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Ireland trains

ongarboy wrote: »
    Well if Dublin is 11th per the DAA press release, are you saying Orly at 12 could overtake it if the runway isn't built?
    No the DAA say '11th busiest airport in the European Union' so Heathrow and Gatwick not included. Dublin is 13th in Europe and Orly in 12th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭blackwhite

No the DAA say '11th busiest airport in the European Union' so Heathrow and Gatwick not included. Dublin is 13th in Europe and Orly in 12th.

Did Boris sneak Brexit through without anyone noticing?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Heathrow and Gatwick are in the EU! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Presumably, they don't count Moscow Sheremetyevo or Istanbul which are in Europe but not in the EU.
    So DUB could be the 9th busiest EU airport if the Brexit silliness goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The DAA will have to get there act together on building new infrastructure. There is NO significant terminal infrastructure projects under construction at the moment as far as I know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The DAA will have to get there act together on building new infrastructure. There is NO significant terminal infrastructure projects under construction at the moment as far as I know.

Nope, apparently they’re going to set up with west apron as remote stands for next summer

The DAA are also a bit snookered due to the ruling by the regulator to reduce airport charges. They are against that proposal as it will significantly reduce revenues which would be used to fund new infrastructure. Seems a bizarre decision because I think Dublin airport charges are already lower than most European capitals and clearly the DAA is performing well and growing based on existing charges. If it ain’t broke........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

It is broken. Read the infrastructure thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Dublin airport charges are already lower than most European capitals and clearly the DAA is performing well and growing based on existing charges.
    Other Capital Cities(and that includes London) aren't on a very remote Island without a rail or road connection to the other Capital cities in Europe.
    Dublin Airport is strategic infrastructure which is being directed not to follow a profit maximisation strategy as the growth of the Country depends upon making access to the Country as inexpensive as possible.
    The Regulator is of the belief that the further build out of the Airport can be financed in the long term not through increased charges but by increased income from higher volumes of passengers at a lower passenger charge level as those passengers will drive the other profit centres at the Airport like the retail services, parking lots, etc...
    In a time of historically low interest rates and positive outlook with regard to passenger growth, finance for capital investment can be secured and it seems like a reasonable position for the Regulator to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

ongarboy wrote: »

Just to clarify: DUB was 13th busiest last year in Europe when including IST and SVO:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_Europe

basill wrote: »
    It is broken. Read the infrastructure thread.

Every airport has its issues, that’s life. Dublin airport has grown at a much faster rate than other airports. I use the airport a lot and overall I find the experience much better than most European airports I fly into. Is it perfect? Far from it but bar some occasional issues with queuing at passport control I find it a good airport.

For me it’s the connections from Dublin airport to the city center that are a shambles but that’s not DAAs fault

• Advertisement

Every airport has its issues, that’s life. Dublin airport has grown at a much faster rate than other airports. I use the airport a lot and overall I find the experience much better than most European airports I fly into. Is it perfect? Far from it but bar some occasional issues with queuing at passport control I find it a good airport.

For me it’s the connections from Dublin airport to the city center that are a shambles but that’s not DAAs fault

But a growing problem is lack of parking stands for aircraft. It’s a growing problem in Dublin that you’ll land and wait between 10 and 40 mins before reaching your final gate due to congestion.
    This can’t go on.

Locker10a wrote: »
    But a growing problem is lack of parking stands for aircraft. It’s a growing problem in Dublin that you’ll land and wait between 10 and 40 mins before reaching your final gate due to congestion.
    This can’t go on.

And from reading other posts here that’s going to be tackled somewhat next year with the west apron coming into use for passenger flights.

This can’t go on.

I can only go from my own experiences but I rarely encounter these issues. I have been traveling a good bit to UK, continental Europe and US and rarely have encountered issues

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I landed on AA208 from ORD on Friday and was waiting 30 minutes for a stand. I had a look yesterday and the AA208 arrived around the same time and was waiting a similar amount of time for a stand.

If flights are coming in from the US and facing lengthy waits for stands it's going to make connections more stressful and less attractive.

marno21 wrote: »
    I landed on AA208 from ORD on Friday and was waiting 30 minutes for a stand. I had a look yesterday and the AA208 arrived around the same time and was waiting a similar amount of time for a stand.

If flights are coming in from the US and facing lengthy waits for stands it's going to make connections more stressful and less attractive.

Was the flight arriving early or on time (remembering that scheduled arrival time is on stand) and FR24 arrival time is landing time?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Was the flight arriving early or on time (remembering that scheduled arrival time is on stand) and FR24 arrival time is landing time?
    My flight touched down 11 minutes before stated time of arrival and finally parked up 15 minutes after stated time of arrival.

I had a check and the following day's flight did arrive 30 minutes before stated time of arrival, but by the time it was parked up it was 25 minutes after stated time of arrival.

They are arriving early but by the time they are parked up they are late.

And from reading other posts here that’s going to be tackled somewhat next year with the west apron coming into use for passenger flights.

And thats great, and I hope its well organised and efficient, but is that really a long term sustainable solution? If there is not requirement for a third terminal, I think they should at least be expanding existing piers properly.

And thats great, and I hope its well organised and efficient, but is that really a long term sustainable solution? If there is not requirement for a third terminal, I think they should at least be expanding existing piers properly.

It’s a short term fix.

I don’t see a need for a third terminal per se - rather developing the satellites to the west and the additional piers off pier D and off pier E as per the current DAA masterplan for the airport.

Remember a new terminal would require duplicating public transport links and would be nowhere near the planned metro link.

The issue in Dublin right now is not terminal capacity but stand availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Ireland trains

How much a320 sized aircraft will be able to park on the west apron

• Advertisement

How much a320 sized aircraft will be able to park on the west apron

My personal rough guess would be approx 10, Im sure someone more knowledgeable will update.

It would be certainly be helpful to alleviate the congestion around the terminal piers and hopefully reduce the arrival delays waiting for a stand particularly in the early morning after a transatlantic.

Advertisement