Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I can’t see how. Anytime Ive looked at those timings the transit time has been 10-12 hours. The ME3 have you on the ground for 2 hours.
    Id a 3 hrs wait when I went via HK last year.

Same, my flight from DUB to MEL only has a 3hr stopover in HK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Blut2

I flew DUB to HKG to SYD recently and there were plenty of connection options. Cathay have 5 direct flights a day HKG to SYD spread pretty evenly across 9am->midnight, the shortest connection time available was 2 hours. So 12 hour transit times are definitely not an issue at present for that route anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was in New York this week, return flight from Dublin with united airlines to newark. Both flights over booked. Great to see the huge demand from North America, was incredible looking out the window this morning coming off the runway with American Airlines, Cathay pacific, Qatar airways and delta planes pulling in around me. Terminal 2 was very busy

In all my years traveling, spotting and working at the airport I cant ever recalling it being so busy, passengers, aircraft, diverse quantity of airlines and destinations to/from all over the planet...

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Strumms wrote: »
    In all my years traveling, spotting and working at the airport I cant ever recalling it being so busy, passengers, aircraft, diverse quantity of airlines and destinations to/from all over the planet...

Was on the Newark flight home last week. Granted it was a Friday, but it had only one spare seat, thankfully next to me. The big windows on the 787 are a dream for someone like me.
    Airport was quiet as Newark arrival is the only one at around 7.

One interesting thing I have noted over the last few years is that when an Aer Lingus flight lands about 50% of the people head to flight connections and the other 50% are Paddy's.
    On the American airlines they are mostly Americans and mostly with a final destination of Ireland (EI passport q is a dream).
    Fits the hub model each airlines runs so I suppose not a suprise but something that always stands out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Strumms wrote: »

It's starting to show tbh. T2 is at bursting point until the TA departures. Pier 1 (or T1 in general really) cannot and should not be getting TA arrivals, especially not the likes of the 787 westjet they're bringing in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I don't see any cloudbase poor enough to affect operations after 9am, the visibility never went below 2500m all morning/afternoon. When an SAS diverted to Belfast, it was after 12pm, Vis was perfect.

Low vis caused delays they built up throughout the day which led to a lot of congestion. Not sure about the SAS but in general low vis was the main cause of delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Was flying to Boston a few weeks back and after going through pre clearance we went back upstairs to use a gate on the main level. Seemed to be one of the first gates but does this mean that UK/European departures can’t use the T2 pier when this arrangement is in use? I couldn’t see how they could get to the gates without mixing with US pre cleared pax. The glass walls were pulled across anyway but just wondering if this setup is common? Or am I totally confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Was flying to Boston a few weeks back and after going through pre clearance we went back upstairs to use a gate on the main level. Seemed to be one of the first gates but does this mean that UK/European departures can’t use the T2 pier when this arrangement is in use? I couldn’t see how they could get to the gates without mixing with US pre cleared pax. The glass walls were pulled across anyway but just wondering if this setup is common? Or am I totally confused?

Pier 4 can be closed off in areas, Gates 420-424 taken out of use for European everyday and you can also close off the gates half way down where the steps around gates 413/414 but never happens.

Sounds like you used gate 410 which was modified about two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Pier 4 can be closed off in areas, Gates 420-424 taken out of use for European everyday and you can also close off the gates half way down where the steps around gates 413/414 but never happens.

Sounds like you used gate 410 which was modified about two years ago.

Yeah, had to walk along a long corridor type route to the air ridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Yeah, had to walk along a long corridor type route to the air ridge.

Sounds like gate 411 for stand 409C which is only being used for precleared flights the last few months.
    Joke of a gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭VG31

I've noticed that EI actually double park aircraft at Pier 4 in the mornings. I boarded a flight at gate 407 but instead of going down the airbridge to the aircraft, we went downstairs and walked to another aircraft parked behind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

VG31 wrote: »
    I've noticed that EI actually double park aircraft at Pier 4 in the mornings. I boarded a flight at gate 407 but instead of going down the airbridge to the aircraft, we went downstairs and walked to another aircraft parked behind.

Such is the inadequate T2, it can’t even house EI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I experienced this last summer. 410 sounds familiar but I am convinced that there were departures to European destinations from the adjacent gates. Thought it was very strange at the time.

On another note, I had the bus and holding area experience a couple of weeks ago to Bordeaux. Bit of a joke for aerclub status holders and people travelling with kids/buggies. Although Bordeaux on the return was not much better...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

There have been rumours over the past few years of remote parking and bussing over to the fire station. If it eventuates the "South Gates" will appear very civilised.

basill wrote: »
    There have been rumours over the past few years of remote parking and bussing over to the fire station. If it eventuates the "South Gates" will appear very civilised.

Afaik the long term plan is for a remote pier there, with automated people movers to that pier, rather than bussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

PaulKK wrote: »
    On another note, I had the bus and holding area experience a couple of weeks ago to Bordeaux. Bit of a joke for aerclub status holders and people travelling with kids/buggies. Although Bordeaux on the return was not much better...

When it comes to bussing almost every airline is the same - experienced it with Lufthansa recently enough both at an outstation and in Frankfurt travelling eurobusiness. A priority boarding to get a seat that, if you're not selfish, you're gonna want to give up to some elderly person or similar who comes on behind. More often than not I end up standing anyway, and it's easier to get to the plane first if you do. Emirates etc do business class buses but they're a whole other world I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Nothing wrong with bussing and remote stands , Munich does it very well indeed . I do agree that priority boarding should not be allowed where bussing is done as it makes it useless

trellheim wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with bussing and remote stands , Munich does it very well indeed . I do agree that priority boarding should not be allowed where bussing is done as it makes it useless

KLM do a lot of bussing in their hub in Amsterdam and they have it pretty much down to a tee, it’s very well organised and they carry business class passengers on every flight.
    Priority boarding is fine provided they are given access to board the first bus. After all priority board there’s days is mostly about being allowed bring luggage into the cabin before all space is filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭VG31

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Emirates etc do business class buses but they're a whole other world I suppose.

Swiss have business class minibuses at Geneva and Zurich.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,488 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Isn't South Gates in the way of the new Pier 5 for taxiing aircraft?

It would have to be demolished when new pier is complete.

• Advertisement

South gates are a prefab building, I believe they intend to reuse the building elsewhere when Pier 5 is built

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

I imagine they're going to be moved here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

South gates are a prefab building, I believe they intend to reuse the building elsewhere when Pier 5 is built

Airport development plan shows the possibility of South Gates relocating to the southern side of the same apron - where they currently have a parking area for some service vehicles and equipment.

Also includes potential for a satellite pier on the western apron and "North Gates" across from an additional pier on T1.

P.106 of the linked presentation gives a plan of possible future works
    https://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/2019%20Determination/Dublin%20Airport%20Consultation%20-%20CIP%202020%20.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They should relocate them to the skip and bus everyone to/from a regular gate instead in the same vein as a remote stand.

They should relocate them to the skip and bus everyone to/from a regular gate instead in the same vein as a remote stand.

But they don’t have the gates, and I think the deal is with the DAA and they provide the bussing and not the airline so the suits EI and Norwegian who use them

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sandbelter

Air Canada to use the B788 on the YYZ to DUB route from Mar 28th to Apr 30th 2020.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/285185/air-canada-april-2020-toronto-dublin-aircraft-changes/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

sandbelter wrote: »
    Air Canada to use the B788 on the YYZ to DUB route from Mar 28th to Apr 30th 2020.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/285185/air-canada-april-2020-toronto-dublin-aircraft-changes/

It was a 789 yesterday. This route gets a good mix of metal. I've seen A330, 767, 77W and 787 on it in the space of a week or so. Mad stuff altogether Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

FlyBE
    Doncaster/Sheffield – Dublin Last flight on 25OCT19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.traveldailymedia.com/etihad-unveils-dreamliner-on-dublin-route-increases-frequency/

Not sure if this had already been noted on here but good to see increased frequencies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 tanya1987

When is YUL (montreal) due to start with aer lingus? Is it even staring at all

Advertisement