Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Or flying to the states via the the uk, instead of Dublin. This ridiculous comment , that will be made here. “ oh it’s only two and a half hours to Dublin by motorway “! Oh is it ? In light traffic with no accidents ? What’s the time of you get unfortunate or have to travel up at peak times, even if your flight isn’t at peak time ? I have stayed in the airport the night before long haul flights , rather than risk missing a flight due to being stuck on the m50 if there’s a crash , which has happened to me many times , just not on the way to the airport thank god. The joys of living in a European capital with third world infrastructure!

1) Its by no means a third world airport, even by western standards.
    2) 2 and a half hours from a major international airport isnt bad.
    3) if it impacts your life that much move closer to the city, otherwise do what most sensible people do and plan to be early or stay up the night before (which is common around the world)

I do have a bit of sympathy for those who have to travel hours to the airport because they live in a very rural part of the country, but you cannot expect two airports on the west coast to have the same standard of flights to the US as Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I have sympathy for ppl who lost their jobs but glad to see more routes finishing up in Ireland.

The climate emergency is far more serious than ppl realise so to see Norwegian closing down more should follow sooner rather than later

I think finally there’s a bit of public awareness of how bad aviation emmissions are so hopefully more routes will leave Dublin over next while

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

I have sympathy for ppl who lost their jobs but glad to see more routes finishing up in Ireland.

The climate emergency is far more serious than ppl realise so to see Norwegian closing down more should follow sooner rather than later

I think finally there’s a bit of public awareness of how bad aviation emmissions are so hopefully more routes will leave Dublin over next while

Ah yes, much better for the environment to take two flights, perhaps one in the wrong direction and have to connect to where you're going, burning more fuel in the process than to take an effecient direct flight on the latest most mordern/fuel efficient aircraft. :confused:

People won't stop travelling because Norwegian can't make their flights work, there's still a market for Atlantic flights, other airlines will just grow to fill the gap. Also aviation has no where near the impact some people would make out, it's just a very visible form of emissions, it accounts for less than 3% of total global emissions AFAIK.

EDIT: Aviation accounts for 2%, not 3% of man made emissions. (https://www.iata.org/pressroom/facts_figures/fact_sheets/Documents/fact-sheet-climate-change.pdf)

NH2013 wrote: »
    Ah yes, much better for the environment to take two flights, perhaps one in the wrong direction and have to connect to where you're going, burning more fuel in the process than to take an effecient direct flight on the latest most mordern/fuel efficient aircraft. :confused:

Or don’t take flight in first place

There’s a new fangled technology called Skype which covers almost every situation regarding business travel

Tourism a diff story. Solar powered passenger ships are the coming thing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

There’s a new fangled technology called Skype which covers almost every situation regarding business travel

Think this forum is the wrong place for you to be honest.

• Advertisement

Kev11491 wrote: »

Not at all. My wish is that the routes are wound down until a low/zero carbon aviation industry is established.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I think you could make an argument that the lower fares created a market where it wouldn’t exist otherwise. So with the stoppage of these routes not all pax will move to another airline and emissions will be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Businesses will always value face to face meetings, skype technology and high speed internet has been around for over 10 years now and that hasn't changed travellers patterns.

Those who have emmigrated will always want to return home to see their families and homes etc.

Those on holidays can't afford to spend 4 weeks out at sea on a solar powered vessel, keep in mind the pure weight of a ship that has to be pushed through much denser water, compared to a very light aircraft that is pushed through very thin air and I think you'll find that air travel is actually ridiculously more efficient than travel by sea.

Kev11491 wrote: »

Agreed, you'll be hard pushed here to convince the aviation enthusiasts that climate change is all down to aviation, or even significantly impacted by it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This post belongs to the YLYL thread because that's pure comedy gold :pac:

Tabnabs wrote: »
    This post belongs to the YLYL thread because that's pure comedy gold :pac:

Sorry now but you are showing your ignorance

No time for sneering posts but if you are genuinely interested google is your friend.

It’s the coming thing if no low emission aviation solution is found in the next 20-50 years

• Advertisement

NH2013 wrote: »
    Businesses will always value face to face meetings, skype technology and high speed internet has been around for over 10 years now and that hasn't changed travellers patterns.

Those who have emmigrated will always want to return home to see their families and homes etc.

Those on holidays can't afford to spend 4 weeks out at sea on a solar powered vessel, keep in mind the pure weight of a ship that has to be pushed through much denser water, compared to a very light aircraft that is pushed through very thin air and I think you'll find that air travel is actually ridiculously more efficient than travel by sea.

Agreed, you'll be hard pushed here to convince the aviation enthusiasts that climate change is all down to aviation, or even significantly impacted by it.

Again I would ask you to do some research and become aware of the problems before throwing out bland and glib “non answers”

Sorry now but you are showing your ignorance

Not time for sneering but if you are genuinely interested google is your friend.

It’s the coming thing if no low emission aviation solution is found in the next 20-50 years

Tad hypocritical talking about sneering and ignorance I feel.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I think you could make an argument that the lower fares created a market where it wouldn’t exist otherwise. So with the stoppage of these routes not all pax will move to another airline and emissions will be reduced.

Agree. The lower fares “booking flights on a whim” market is the low hanging fruit that has to be curtailed firstly.

How is that done- simply put, tax and more tax. Tax on the airports, carriers and tax on the individual fares.

Tax income to be channeled into solution industries not causation industries.

Tad hypocritical talking about sneering and ignorance I feel.

Not at all. Go and have a google on the impact 1 transatlantic flight has on individual carbon footprint. That will be the first of many eye openers for you.

Also google a recent chart showing the current levels of co2 in the atmosphere on a million year time scale.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Beechwoodspark - you were already explicitly told not to drag threads off-topic. Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Blut2

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Or flying to the states via the the uk, instead of Dublin. This ridiculous comment , that will be made here. “ oh it’s only two and a half hours to Dublin by motorway “! Oh is it ? In light traffic with no accidents ? What’s the time of you get unfortunate or have to travel up at peak times, even if your flight isn’t at peak time ? I have stayed in the airport the night before long haul flights , rather than risk missing a flight due to being stuck on the m50 if there’s a crash , which has happened to me many times , just not on the way to the airport thank god. The joys of living in a European capital with third world infrastructure!

For the vast majority of people who would have used Cork/Shannon airports for US flights the additional drive to DUB (2hrs 45min Cork airport -> Dublin airport, 2hrs 30min Shannon airport -> Dublin airport) will be significantly quicker than the time taken to fly to LHR (1hr 20 approx), wait for a connection(1hour - 3hours), and then make up the lost time flying Westward over Ireland again (40min).

Not to mention that anyone East/North of those two airports in their catchment area would have even shorter drives to DUB.

And, as others have mentioned, Ireland doesn't have the population to sustain multiple major long haul airports. Or the geographic size. An under 3 hour drive to a large international airport from any major population center on the island is extremely reasonable by global standards.

As to the third world infrastructure in a European capital - I'd suggest you actually visit the third world for a comparison! The lack of a metro you mention in a subsequent post is down to government policy, not the DAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The lack of a rail link is becoming a bit much at this stage but I am not sure you can hold the DAA entirely accountable for that.

As someone who flies through various airports every week, I find Dublin to be one of the more predictable in terms of experience. That is by no means meant to suggest that there aren't many things to improve but I find consistency to be one of the more important factors for me when assessing an airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Not at all. My wish is that the routes are wound down until a low/zero carbon aviation industry is established.

Mind me asking what your messages has to do with Dublin routes
    ?

Wrong forum I think as someone else says above.

Mind me asking what your messages has to do with Dublin 4outes?

W4ong forum I think as someone else s@ys above.

I can’t respond on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Does the lack of general stands be compounded with SNN diverted flights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Does the lack of general stands be compounded with SNN diverted flights?

Which was all of three flights? No. Plenty of remote stands available. Two ended up in DUB the AA went to MAN for some reason or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

dfx- wrote: »
    There is a non-peak time at Dublin Airport? I have departed at 6am, 11am, 2pm, 6pm and there's very little difference. It's slightly easier if there's no US flights, but to have that proviso isn't a solution if you have no choice on time.

The only time I see it quiet was arriving in around 8pm on a Saturday evening in Summer. All other times, it's mental.

I flew out of T1 this morning just after 09:00.

The terminal was very busy with long security queues, and I was glad of the fast track, but there was only one aircraft ahead of mine for take off.

Zero delays. So yes there are quieter periods on the ramp!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Ireland trains

Artical from 20th January 2019
    https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/mcevaddy-looks-to-woo-iag-and-delta-for-new-transatlantic-hub-37726794.html
    Apologies if someone posted this a few months back but i just came across it the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Is there any way of finding out the top airlines by passenger numbers in Dublin. Obviously Aer Lingus and Ryanair are by far the top dogs but there are a few other biggish beasts. Ryanair have more flights than Aer Lingus mainline but less than Aer Lingus overall when you include the Stobart Air and Cityjet operated fligts but I think Ryanair are probably still top in yerms of passenger numbers due to larger average passenger numbers per flight?

Next year I think EI/FR will become even more dominant with the departure of Hainan and Norwegian along with (much smaller) cut of Doncaster by FlyBe. I know Aer Lingus are growing transatlantic but wonder will passenger numbers slow with the route cuts/general uncertainty over Brexit and other factors

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Conor84 wrote: »
    Is there any way of finding out the top airlines by passenger numbers in Dublin. Obviously Aer Lingus and Ryanair are by far the top dogs but there are a few other biggish beasts. Ryanair have more flights than Aer Lingus mainline but less than Aer Lingus overall when you include the Stobart Air and Cityjet operated fligts but I think Ryanair are probably still top in yerms of passenger numbers due to larger average passenger numbers per flight?

Next year I think EI/FR will become even more dominant with the departure of Hainan and Norwegian along with (much smaller) cut of Doncaster by FlyBe. I know Aer Lingus are growing transatlantic but wonder will passenger numbers slow with the route cuts/general uncertainty over Brexit and other factors

1 - Ryanair
    2 - Aer Lingus
    3 - BA
    4 - Lufthansa
    5 - Norwegian
    6 - United

Growth from Aer Lingus should more less eliminate DY and probably reduce overall growth however fallout from Brexit is probably a bigger concern.

Both EI and FR have around 80-85% of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    1 - Ryanair
    2 - Aer Lingus
    3 - BA
    4 - Lufthansa
    5 - Norwegian
    6 - United

Growth from Aer Lingus should more less eliminate DY and probably reduce overall growth however fallout from Brexit is probably a bigger concern.

Both EI and FR have around 80-85% of traffic.

I’d say the gap between BA and LH is narrowing with the growth of the Munich route in recent years?

Who is 7th - EK?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I’d say the gap between BA and LH is narrowing with the growth of the Munich route in recent years?

Who is 7th - EK?

Forgot about them:

1 - Ryanair
    2 - Aer Lingus
    3 - BA
    4 - Lufthansa
    5 - Emirates
    6 - Norwegian
    7 - United
    8 - American

Then you are looking at KLM, Air France and Delta.

LH only includes mainline and not Eurowings, Swiss etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭VG31

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but Norwegian appear to have dropped Copenhagen from October.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Ireland trains

https://www.acl-uk.org › DU...PDF
    Web results
    Dublin Airport (DUB) - Airport Coordination Limited

Has airlines no. Of movement allocations and no. Of seats for S19 (With their rank beside them) and their change from S18

Aer lingus
    Movements - 55,068 (rank:1)
    Seats - 8,951,959 (rank:2)

Ryanair
    Movements - 52,303 (rank:2)
    Seats - 9,885,267 (rank:1) increase of 727,371

British airways
    Movements - 4,938 (rank:3) (decrease 36)
    Seats - 687,824 (rank:3) (increase of 43,509

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Conor84 wrote: »

We can't affect global economic problems however the failure of the DAA to invest in infrastructure worthy of a hub airport is a real indictment.

Pinning blame gets us no where but as of now there is no significant terminal infrastructure under construction. Literally none. Which is mind boggling.

That's possibly hurting us already in terms of prospective routes though it's hard to say. Hard to see it as not a factor.

There has been very few major route announcements from Dublin in the past while which is quite concerning.

The DAA/Regulator whoever need to get the finger out and get things moving because of the lead in time for new capacity as well.

And lets not mention the ludicrous restrictions fiasco with the new runway (not DAA's fault, I know).

Incompetence catches up eventually.

Advertisement