Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Thanks for the heads up.

Entry prices are €36 and €43. Hoping they will drop back a bit when 2020 prices settle.

Drop back to what? Is that not a very good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

36 quid for a 2.5 hour flight - if that’s not acceptable to people then I don’t know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    36 quid for a 2.5 hour flight - if that’s not acceptable to people then I don’t know what is.

Thats what I was wondering. Would you hang on to save a tenner? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Just wait until Ryanair get the 737-MAX flying, they will offer that extra €10 off that people crave.

And people will very rapidly forget the -MAX debacle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I picked up flights on their new Bordeaux route this year for €24.99. I also got flights to Munich for €24.99 last month. Bordeaux then dropped to €19.99 as did Munich.

I was tracking flights to Girona for the autumn. They were pitched at over €60. Now (for my dates) €28.99. I was happy at the time to get them for €34.

I think purchasing Ryanair flights now, for April/My 2020 is a bit early for Marseille. They will have their pre Christmas sale to generate publicity for the route.

Aer Lingus prices to Marseille are crazy. Ryanair existing prices are pennies in comparison.

I have noticed that Ryanair are pitching their outward flights at good prices but the return portion are oftentimes double the price. It pays to grab the outward flight then wait for them to drop the price for the return portion. So far it has always worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

unless you have an automated sniper bot that can pick up those prices on release , I cant help but feel the tenner in the difference isn worth the effort in watching every move every hour ? unless your booking for 50 people on a pilgrimage or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

smurfjed wrote: »
    Just wait until Ryanair get the 737-MAX flying, they will offer that extra €10 off that people crave.

And people will very rapidly forget the -MAX debacle

If they even have to do that, remember the 787 battery issues? Most of the public seem to have forgotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Try airhint.com but I don't use it that much as if the fares are below a certain level I book irrespective of whether they might be cheaper later.
    Marseille is 1400km as the crow flies from Dublin. 40 euro fares one way are a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Exactly those fares are borderline loss making as it is even at an airline with one of the lowest cost bases.
    I think people in Europe don’t appreciate how good they have it in terms of value when flying. In the USA you’d struggle to find a fare under $100 for similar sector lengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭john boye

JCX BXC wrote: »
    If they even have to do that, remember the 787 battery issues? Most of the public seem to have forgotten!

I fully agree people will forget eventually however the difference is nobody died from the 787 battery. It may take a bit longer for people to forget the max issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

The 787 battery issue cannot be compared to the Max woes. A box was sufficient to isolate the battery on the 787 (plus some other technical stuff). Fundamentally there are issues with the type certification of the Max which many regulators around the world are starting to call into question. Anyone that reads a half decent newspaper will understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I disagree, I flew direct to marseille return from Dublin with aer Lingus in May and thought it was great value. €105 return for direct flights and flying out on a Friday and back on a Sunday. Both flights were full. I also flew the direct flights from Dublin to Bordeaux earlier this year and return flights were €80. Again the flights were full.

I generally find aer Lingus flights very reasonably priced
    I picked up flights on their new Bordeaux route this year for €24.99. I also got flights to Munich for €24.99 last month. Bordeaux then dropped to €19.99 as did Munich.

I was tracking flights to Girona for the autumn. They were pitched at over €60. Now (for my dates) €28.99. I was happy at the time to get them for €34.

I think purchasing Ryanair flights now, for April/My 2020 is a bit early for Marseille. They will have their pre Christmas sale to generate publicity for the route.

Aer Lingus prices to Marseille are crazy. Ryanair existing prices are pennies in comparison.

I have noticed that Ryanair are pitching their outward flights at good prices but the return portion are oftentimes double the price. It pays to grab the outward flight then wait for them to drop the price for the return portion. So far it has always worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I disagree, I flew direct to marseille return from Dublin with aer Lingus in May and thought it was great value. €105 return for direct flights and flying out on a Friday and back on a Sunday. Both flights were full. I also flew the direct flights from Dublin to Bordeaux earlier this year and return flights were €80. Again the flights were full.

I generally find aer Lingus flights very reasonably priced

I also took Aer Lingus to Marseille in April I think, for a similar price, and considered it pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

basill wrote: »
    The 787 battery issue cannot be compared to the Max woes. A box was sufficient to isolate the battery on the 787 (plus some other technical stuff). Fundamentally there are issues with the type certification of the Max which many regulators around the world are starting to call into question. Anyone that reads a half decent newspaper will understand this.

I'm not equating the issues as the same, however I do recall many saying they'd never fly on a 787 due to the battery issues, yet that seemed to die out once the 787 was fully operational again.

Short memories and in fairness the general public likely don't appreciate what the actual issues are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I think it's a fair assessment to say the general public will forget about the MAX issues in time, most have short memories and this is particularly true when it comes to matters in aviation. I think it will be helped in part by airlines, and maybe even Boeing itself, quietly dropping the 'MAX' name from the product lineup.

As for the MAX at Ryanair, don't expect miracles in terms of discounting and don't expect a particularly comfortable flight. They can also stop referring to it as a "game changer" when Wizz Air, EasyJet and other rivals are all flying 239 seat A321neo's, real game changer aircraft in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I think it's a fair assessment to say the general public will forget about the MAX issues in time, most have short memories and this is particularly true when it comes to matters in aviation. I think it will be helped in part by airlines, and maybe even Boeing itself, quietly dropping the 'MAX' name from the product lineup.

As for the MAX at Ryanair, don't expect miracles in terms of discounting and don't expect a particularly comfortable flight. They can also stop referring to it as a "game changer" when Wizz Air, EasyJet and other rivals are all flying 239 seat A321neo's, real game changer aircraft in Europe.

I’ve noticed in recent Ryanair press releases they still call it a game changer but have dropped the word max. They are now 747 “game changers”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I’ve noticed in recent Ryanair press releases they still call it a game changer but have dropped the word max. They are now 747 “game changers”

They've even changed the model number?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭cson

IngazZagni wrote: »
    In the USA you’d struggle to find a fare under $100 for similar sector lengths.

+1

You'd be lucky to get a one way for < $100 in the US, even on a shuttle route like BOS-NYC, WAS-NYC or ORD-NYC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

trellheim wrote: »
    Any trip reports AA DUB-DFW ?

I flew it Sunday last and typical I land when a storm just arrived!
    Sat nearly 2 hours in the runway waiting for a gate to be free.
    Flew back through Dallas yesterday and no issues. Shops and food outlets close about 9pm which is a pain if you are getting a 11.35pm flight back to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Noxegon

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I flew it Sunday last and typical I land when a storm just arrived!
    Sat nearly 2 hours in the runway waiting for a gate to be free.
    Flew back through Dallas yesterday and no issues. Shops and food outlets close about 9pm which is a pain if you are getting a 11.35pm flight back to Dublin.

I don’t understand airport outlets that close before the last flight.

In a few weeks time I’m flying to a city where I land at 9:15pm. The local rental car outlet closes at 9:00pm. I will have to stay overnight in an airport hotel and pick up a car in the morning.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

Great to see the Cathay pacific direct flights from Dublin to Hong Kong doing so well

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/some-80-000-fly-between-dublin-and-hong-kong-1.3918630?mode=amp

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Does anyone know how long the sunwing aircraft stays in Dublin for before finishing up its season at TUI?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Locker10a wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the sunwing aircraft stays in Dublin for before finishing up its season at TUI?

They hang around until end of September or beginning of October if I remember correctly?

Did flybe pull the southend route ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

trellheim wrote: »
    Did flybe pull the southend route  ?

Yep. Once the Ryanair base was secured at Southend most of the Stobart operated Flybe routes were dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Locker10a wrote: »

They do about 3 months in total in Dublin as far as I know.

They do about 3 months in total in Dublin as far as I know.

Longer than that. I think the last one left Dublin in October last year.

Yep. Once the Ryanair base was secured at Southend most of the Stobart operated Flybe routes were dropped.

Yes it is extremely expensive to fly out of London this week and the Flybe Southend was always a cheap option if you had the time to get that far out there

darn ryanair and their Fortress Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Longer than that. I think the last one left Dublin in October last year.

Yeah I remember that last year, just think I remember hearing the pilots are only here for 3 years this year. I could be wrong

• Advertisement

Record numbers again at Dublin airport in May. Growth from all overseas markets, only decline is local domestic flights. Passenger numbers +7% year to date, incredible numbers when you consider last year there were nearly 32 million passengers.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/record-may-at-dublin-airport

Advertisement