Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a Vanillager AMA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

No other questions? :) this was easy, people shouldn't be afraid of signing up. even if you managed to tell your strange internet friends about an annoying real life nickname! :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

I have been so late to the parties and all the cool questions answered.

Only getting notifications now really for this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

No other questions? :) this was easy, people shouldn't be afraid of signing up. even if you managed to tell your strange internet friends about an annoying real life nickname! :P :pac:

Where did you first here about Werewolf?

Whats your fav episode of Black Mirror?

Whats the movie you had high hopes for but sucked?

What other Werewolf themes would you like to see?

I have been so late to the parties and all the cool questions answered.

Only getting notifications now really for this thread!
    No worries Flush, I'm sure there's still cool questions out there! :P
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    Where did you first here about Werewolf?

Whats your fav episode of Black Mirror?

Whats the movie you had high hopes for but sucked?

What other Werewolf themes would you like to see?
    There was a thread in After Hours where Jayop introduced us to the game. I had never heard of it before. Funnily enough, previous to that I had backed a Kickstarter board game called Secret Hitler which is very very similar to Werewolf.

My fave episode was "White Bear" - the one dealing with the ethics of punishment and the eye-for-an-eye mentality. It stuck with me for a long time afterwards. I would also give a special mention to the "White Christmas" episode with John Hamm where they're out in the snowy wilderness. That was also an excellent episode. I think I enjoyed all of them though, although I found Season 3 to be lacking compared to the first two.

Hmm, I'll probably be shot for this but I'm going to have to go with The Hobbit trilogy, and the first movie in particular. The book is so nice and it could have been such an amazing movie but instead they wanted to geek it up for the hardcore LotR fans. I also wasn't a fan of those movies, despite repeated attempts. I find them soooooo boring and that last LotR movie "ends" about 47 times. :mad:
    You didn't ask this, but one movie that blew me away lately when I was expecting nothing was Okja on Netflix. :cool:

There's loads I'd love to see! I mentioned a Hannibal/Dexter themed game earlier with just SKs. Someone (you?) mentioned a Father Ted game that I think would be great craic. I'd also like to take a stab at or play an original flavour game. I defo also would like to try a Secret Hitler based version of the game, the rules need some tweaking to work in this format though. Formal Shorts mentioned a Saw themed game that he ran with really intricate mechanics too, that's be amazing. So many themes... we won't be running out of ideas any time soon! :P

My fave episode was "White Bear" - the one dealing with the ethics of punishment and the eye-for-an-eye mentality. It stuck with me for a long time afterwards. I would also give a special mention to the "White Christmas" episode with John Hamm where they're out in the snowy wilderness. That was also an excellent episode. I think I enjoyed all of them though, although I found Season 3 to be lacking compared to the first two.

:P

Thats a great episode and that and quite a few other episodes have that lasting effect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

White Christmas is my favourite too.

I personally didnt see the white christmas twist coming, but I am dumb. Great episode

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

White Christmas is my favourite one. The horror of being stuck for hundreds of years in a little white box is what scared me more than anything.
    Hmm, I'll probably be shot for this but I'm going to have to go with The Hobbit trilogy, and the first movie in particular. The book is so nice and it could have been such an amazing movie but instead they wanted to geek it up for the hardcore LotR fans. I also wasn't a fan of those movies, despite repeated attempts. I find them soooooo boring and that last LotR movie "ends" about 47 times. :mad:

I agree with you on the Hobbit. Was looking forward to them but it really only needed one movie. Not 3.

Back to questions:
    Are you a cat person or a dog person?

Do you get on with your siblings or do you just tolerate each other?

How can you not properly speak German? I find it weird that everyone would speak English to you over there.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Are you a cat person or a dog person?

Do you get on with your siblings or do you just tolerate each other?

How can you not properly speak German? I find it weird that everyone would speak English to you over there.

Defo a dog person. I just don't trust cats. I've always wanted a Collie, a proper long haired lassie dog. Even looked into getting one here recently, but realistically I still want to travel a bit and I can't say for certain I'll still be here in a few years. When I was very young I had an ankle gnawing from the neighbour's Jack Russell and got a bite off the family dog a few years back, so overall I'm still a bit weary around dogs I don't know.

I have 2 sisters, both younger. I got on better with the little one when we all lived at home. I shared a room with the other sister, and our personalities are very different, so we just about tolerated each other until the past few years when we've been living in different countries! :P Now we all get along grand, but very much in small doses. They're both in different parts of Europe now and I'll be visiting both in the next month, but only ever for a few days at a time!

Oh Molls, right in my shame!!! :o:o:o Well, I never thought I'd be here! I did French in school. When I initially moved here for Erasmus, the college in Ireland specifically told us not to bother learning German as the media campus is completely English. The housing estate for students was mainly other foreigners - lots of Spanish. I learnt more Spanish in the 1st 6 months than German! :o When I ran out of money, I started working in an Irish bar, again I needed to learn a few key phrases but 99% was in English.

When I moved back 2 years ago, I should have really copped on. Here's the thing, because the boyfriend's ma is Irish, he grew up speaking both fluently. In the house, we only speak English, with the exception of recipes coz they're mainly German. In the office, I speak English all day with the exception of the canteen. Again, food words, so I can get by there. At house parties, everyone speaks to me in English. My doctor and dentist speak English. Taxis and public transport are paid via apps, no talking to anyone. It's shockingly easy to live here and not pick up a word, and I'm not even in the city. I've done German courses twice, neither really stuck. If someone talks to me in German, I can usually pick up maybe half the words, and use context to extrapolate from there. :o I've picked up enough now to be able to understand the jist of someone talking to me, or the jist of an article, but actually creating sentences or writing is still beyond me. :( I also don't know how long I'll be here either so I keep putting it off! Like, I thought I'd come for a year, now it's been 2 and it's starting to look like 3... Probo too much info but tl;dr - I'm lazy and it's easy to get by on English here

Oh Molls, right in my shame!!! :o:o:o Well, I never thought I'd be here! I did French in school. When I initially moved here for Erasmus, the college in Ireland specifically told us not to bother learning German as the media campus is completely English. The housing estate for students was mainly other foreigners - lots of Spanish. I learnt more Spanish in the 1st 6 months than German! :o When I ran out of money, I started working in an Irish bar, again I needed to learn a few key phrases but 99% was in English.

When I moved back 2 years ago, I should have really copped on. Here's the thing, because the boyfriend's ma is Irish, he grew up speaking both fluently. In the house, we only speak English, with the exception of recipes coz they're mainly German. In the office, I speak English all day with the exception of the canteen. Again, food words, so I can get by there. At house parties, everyone speaks to me in English. My doctor and dentist speak English. Taxis and public transport are paid via apps, no talking to anyone. It's shockingly easy to live here and not pick up a word, and I'm not even in the city. I've done German courses twice, neither really stuck. If someone talks to me in German, I can usually pick up maybe half the words, and use context to extrapolate from there. :o I've picked up enough now to be able to understand the jist of someone talking to me, or the jist of an article, but actually creating sentences or writing is still beyond me. :( I also don't know how long I'll be here either so I keep putting it off! Like, I thought I'd come for a year, now it's been 2 and it's starting to look like 3... Probo too much info but tl;dr - I'm lazy and it's easy to get by on English here

I actually can empathise. Not to the same extent but Mr Molly is a fluent Irish speaker. Him and his parents speak Irish in the house all the time but speak English to me. I can understand most of it and can get by when speaking it but I've never properly picked it up. It's horribly embarassing. I usually only use it to speak about people when we're on holiday. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I actually can empathise. Not to the same extent but Mr Molly is a fluent Irish speaker. Him and his parents speak Irish in the house all the time but speak English to me. I can understand most of it and can get by when speaking it but I've never properly picked it up. It's horribly embarassing. I usually only use it to speak about people when we're on holiday. :rolleyes:
    I've replaced most of my Irish with German so I can't speak much of that either anymore! :pac: My main use case is still on holidays though!

Yeah, I get what you mean by embarrassing, but also I guess I'm pretty lucky that his family and friends immediately switch to English when I'm in the vicinity, even amongst themselves which I found odd at first. It makes it much more difficult to learn though as I don't hear enough of it, and also it makes me feel uncomfortable sometimes that people are switching to suit me. Bloody introvert, they can't win either way! :o
    A lot of the people I know here can comfortably speak both, but most aren't comfortable switching in and out haphazardly whereas I'd happily start a sentence in german and throw in a few english words here and there. Most of the foreigners that I know here said they didn't *really* learn the language 'til they had a kid. So, it'll be a while at least! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

@mahama - very important question: Did you resolve the mole infestation?

crosstownk wrote: »
    @mahama - very important question: Did you resolve the mole infestation?

Nope. We got a beeper yoke that lives in the lawn now. It beeps and vibrates for about 2 seconds every 20-30 seconds or so. It has done precisely fück all except annoy me, I'm convinced it's as useless as the mouse beepers that you plug in in your house. He's either after getting more adventurous or found some friends because when we look down from the attic now I can see tunnels in the neighbours garden too!

Google Blue Merle collies, its the dog I want when Im ready to commit :D
    They are class especially the ones with longer hair.
    Nope. We got a beeper yoke that lives in the lawn now. It beeps and vibrates for about 2 seconds every 20-30 seconds or so. It has done precisely fück all except annoy me, I'm convinced it's as useless as the mouse beepers that you plug in in your house. He's either after getting more adventurous or found some friends because when we look down from the attic now I can see tunnels in the neighbours garden too!

Go Moley :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok forgive me if this has been asked already.

Favorite werewolf game so far? Modding doesn't count :P

What has been your favourite role to play?

Also, what role have you not played that you really want to?

On a seperate note, having noticed you mentioned it before, what board games are you primarily into?

Would you rather play D & D or W O W?
    (For those unaware it's Dungeons and Dragons or World of Warcraft :P)

Last one for now: Favorite villain, book or film or TV, who is yours?

Google Blue Merle collies, its the dog I want when Im ready to commit :D
    They are class especially the ones with longer hair.

Go Moley :D
    Yeah, obv a long haired one! :) They shed like mo-fos though. I actually didn't like the blue merle ones at the start, but I've started to come around to them a little more. :) There's quite a few breeders around the area here so you often see em.
    Necrominus wrote: »
    Ok forgive me if this has been asked already.

Favorite werewolf game so far? Modding doesn't count :P

What has been your favourite role to play?

Also, what role have you not played that you really want to?

On a seperate note, having noticed you mentioned it before, what board games are you primarily into?

Would you rather play D & D or W O W?
    (For those unaware it's Dungeons and Dragons or World of Warcraft :P)

Last one for now: Favorite villain, book or film or TV, who is yours?

My favourite game was probably the very first one. I swear I didn't sleep all week that week, I was a nervous wreck! :P Game of Thrones was also a brill game, I think it was my first baddie role even if they did kill me early the fückers!

I like vanillager as it's less pressure. I really really want to play SK, I reckon it'd be some craic. I think I've only ever been seer, wolf or vanillager so not a lot to choose from there. Seer is my least favourite role and the one I'm worst at! :P

Hmm, as most of them are Kickstarters they wouldn't be very common but Near and Far is one that we're playing at the moment, it's story based and absolutely beautiful. I think Posthuman is probo a brill game too but the rules are pretty dense and we spent an hour creating characters before realising we were getting nowhere. For quick play, I like Exploding Kittens and for groups I like Cranium. :)

I think I'd play D&D over WoW. I did enjoy the WoW movie though recently. I've never played either, but I like the idea of D&D even though I don't have enough geeky friends to pull it off IRL!

Hmm... Joker and Jigsaw would be up there, but favourite villain has to go to Hannibal Lector for me. In all iterations - books, TV show and movies. Red Dragon was one of the first books that I read that genuinely creeped me out.

Hope I am not repeating..

What age bracket are you in? 20-30 30-35 36-40 40+

Have you got kids or do you want them

How does the social media thing work (I should know as work with people but dont)

Would you go back to living in ireland

pepsi or diet coke? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

How does the social media thing work (I should know as work with people but dont)

Your age brackets suck balls
    You've lumped me in with all the pensioners

I still have a few years left in the 20-30 bracket! :)

No kids, I can barely take care of myself not to mind being responsible for anyone else. I'm not even joking, I can't even keep plants alive. :D I've taken some semi-permanent precautions so it's not something I need to even think about for 3 more years. I like kids, I'm afraid of babies with their floppy necks though. If it happens, it happens, but as far as I'm concerned I'm too young to think about that just yet! :cool:

How does social media work in general? People put their thoughts/pictures/videos on the internet, while surrounded by everyone else's thoughts, funny videos and advertising. :p If you meant the job specifically, I look at raw data from social networks to determine things like posting frequency and timing, which content gets the biggest % of the budget, best practices etc. Develop metrics and reporting based on that. I also manage most of the posting and sourcing of content, and in limited cases the creation along with customer service queries. Finally, I train people how to social, and train them on tools so they can be more efficient. Mixed bag really.

Yeah, I'd be happy to move back to Ireland in time but it depends on himself, and also the job. He can work just as easily in either place. I'd like to get some proper travel in first too. I think I'll always see Ireland as "home", even though there's plenty there that annoys me too. The main barrier I see in future is the concentration of tech jobs in Dublin and the rent pressure there. I never wanted to live in Dublin. If I had kids, I'm almost certain I'd move home when they were old enough for school (like 5 or 6) as I prefer the Irish education system to the one here.

Diet coke mmmmm. Ice cold, from a bottle or thin can. It's 28 degrees here at the mo so I may go for a walk at lunch and get a nice cold can! :)
    Tigger wrote: »

Quieten down grampa! :pac:

Tigger wrote: »

That made me laugh! I am almost 45 so tarring myself with that brush too :)

• Advertisement

On jobs, Not sure if any of you would be interested.

Are there any of you out there who would like to earn a good wage working from home? Into sports and maybe betting, casino, slots or anything like that?

PM me if you think you would like that. The money pretty good!

How does social media work in general? People put their thoughts/pictures/videos on the internet, while surrounded by everyone else's thoughts, funny videos and advertising. :p If you meant the job specifically, I look at raw data from social networks to determine things like posting frequency and timing, which content gets the biggest % of the budget, best practices etc. Develop metrics and reporting based on that. I also manage most of the posting and sourcing of content, and in limited cases the creation along with customer service queries. Finally, I train people how to social, and train them on tools so they can be more efficient. Mixed bag really.

Diet coke mmmmm. Ice cold, from a bottle or thin can. It's 28 degrees here at the mo so I may go for a walk at lunch and get a nice cold can! :)

Quieten down grampa! :pac:

I work for a company called Adcrush Media, I know they have social media folks, always wondered what they did, never asked lol.

As for other Countries, when it comes to the tech/iGaming indistry, Malta is the place to be. A good bit hotter than Germany though, but if a ginger like me can handle it, anyone can.

It is 30 today with a realfeel of 35. was up at 40 last week (46 inland) Grumpy chose the right week to get out!

On jobs, Not sure if any of you would be interested.

Are there any of you out there who would like to earn a good wage working from home? Into sports and maybe betting, casino, slots or anything like that?

PM me if you think you would like that. The money pretty good!
    Careful with language like that, you'll get yourself banned for shilling! :p
    I work for a company called Adcrush Media, I know they have social media folks, always wondered what they did, never asked lol.

As for other Countries, when it comes to the tech/iGaming indistry, Malta is the place to be. A good bit hotter than Germany though, but if a ginger like me can handle it, anyone can.

It is 30 today with a realfeel of 35. was up at 40 last week (46 inland) Grumpy chose the right week to get out!
    Malta is on my travel list, don't worry. I got curious when ye said a few of ye lived there. I fell into social media rather than having that as a career choice tbh, aiming to get back into the tech/programming side and hopefully into the data science side in the next year or so. :) Are you ginger? Updating my headpick of you, Molly I think was my only redhead. :pac:

Malta is on my travel list, don't worry. I got curious when ye said a few of ye lived there. I fell into social media rather than having that as a career choice tbh, aiming to get back into the tech/programming side and hopefully into the data science side in the next year or so. :) Are you ginger? Updating my headpick of you, Molly I think was my only redhead. :pac:

Normally a dark auburn but the sun has bleached it to f**k lol

There is a large crowd from Ireland living here, it's great craic! I am Scottish born and married to a Dub. I lived in Donegal from 2002 to 2016 :)

Yeah, I'd be happy to move back to Ireland in time but it depends on himself, and also the job. He can work just as easily in either place. I'd like to get some proper travel in first too. I think I'll always see Ireland as "home", even though there's plenty there that annoys me too. The main barrier I see in future is the concentration of tech jobs in Dublin and the rent pressure there. I never wanted to live in Dublin. If I had kids, I'm almost certain I'd move home when they were old enough for school (like 5 or 6) as I prefer the Irish education system to the one here.

Where is home in Ireland? I saw you mention Tipperary earlier?

Our plan of stealing your identity is almost complete with all these questions! Lol.

Where is home in Ireland? I saw you mention Tipperary earlier?

Our plan of stealing your identity is almost complete with all these questions! Lol.

:D

I already have the not speaking German down to perfection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Mrs FD, isn't your avi on change of plan games you IRL tho...there's a head pic you can update straight away Mahama!

It's the only way i'll be able to identify the boardsies at a meet-up! otherwise it'll be like a weird mass blind date scenario! we'll all have to wear a red carnation or something!!

Mrs FD, isn't your avi on change of plan games you IRL tho...there's a head pic you can update straight away Mahama!

It's the only way i'll be able to identify the boardsies at a meet-up! otherwise it'll be like a weird mass blind date scenario! we'll all have to wear a red carnation or something!!

Tell me about it!!! It was almost blind luck that we all found each other last meet!!

quickbeam wrote: »
    Tell me about it!!! It was almost blind luck that we all found each other last meet!!

I might update my change of plan avi in advance to make it easier!

• Advertisement

Mahama, you never answered my q about what we all look like in your mind!!

Advertisement