Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So folks, today is International Mario Day.....
    Mario Day, or Mar10, is an annual celebration of all things Mario. Fans decided that it would take place on March 10 every year, simply because the date, when written as Mar10, looks like 'Mario'. The holiday was neither created nor declared by Nintendo until 2016.

So how are you going to celebrate it.... I am going to play some Mario this evening but not sure which one yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Kimbot wrote:
    So how are you going to celebrate it.... I am going to play some Mario this evening but not sure which one yet

Mario 64... Because 6+4 =10...

Or am I stretching it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Grassey wrote: »
    Mario 64... Because 6+4 =10...

Or am I stretching it?

I think that is very reasonable :)

I have the snes mini so I am going to hook that up and play some super mario land.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm dressed as Luigi looking out at the rain thinking.

Oh yeah! Who's number one now?! Luigi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

A Link Between Worlds for me.
    Given Mario too much of my time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And in the last month of Mario's 35th. that all goes away on the 31st? And no word on Zelda's 35th replacing it for a few months until it's Metroid's turn.

It will be Metroid's turn, right? RIGHT?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Would any of you learned souls be able to tell me if you can use the £ sterling eshop gift cards (available in Amazon and other retailers) on the Irish eshop.

I know we share the same site with UK, but sales are always converted to euro for us before final purchase and that fact is just given me a slight nagging doubt as a result before I buy one. Cheers.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I think if you do that, a giant Boris Johnson will coming screaming from the sky spewing lava. Also known as "Boris's Fury" !

YoshiSays wrote: »
    I think if you do that, a giant Boris Johnson will coming screaming from the sky spewing lava. Also known as "Boris's Fury" !

Hmm you make a cromulent point Would he know the answer to the question I asked though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Would any of you learned souls be able to tell me if you can use the £ sterling eshop gift cards (available in Amazon and other retailers) on the Irish eshop.

I know we share the same site with UK, but sales are always converted to euro for us before final purchase and that fact is just given me a slight nagging doubt as a result before I buy one. Cheers.

Pretty sure you need to use a gift card that matches the currency of the shop you want to use.

• Advertisement

skerry wrote: »
    Pretty sure you need to use a gift card that matches the currency of the shop you want to use.

Wasn't sure because our "home" eshop is the UK one. Despite the fact it changes to Euros on payment. Still not sure in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

You MIGHT be able to change your location to UK on your switch so prices come up in £ (and maybe not lose gold points?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Irish Halo wrote: »
    You MIGHT be able to change your location to UK on your switch so prices come up in £ (and maybe not lose gold points?)

I dont think you lose gold points when region hopping, just credit balance

Thanks all anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Folks - looking to pickup the new Mario themed switch for my 8 year olds bday - Where would people suggest ?

s8n wrote: »
    Folks - looking to pickup the new Mario themed switch for my 8 year olds bday - Where would people suggest ?

I think that's a limited edition and it's hard to find at regular price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

I think that's a limited edition and it's hard to find at regular price

what about just regular bundles ?

s8n wrote: »
    what about just regular bundles ?

this compares amazon sites across Europe

you can see the premium for the one with the red and blue plastic over the other ones

https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/nintendo%20switch

edit - it's actually available from Amazon France for a not-so-different price (or so it claims on hagglezon)

• Advertisement

A lot of love for the Switch on the "street" or at least Reddit Ireland. I think people are realising how bloody good a lot of those Nintendo AAA games are. And, how cheerful they are. Beat that MS and Sony.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/m5i1l0/well_lockdown_just_became_more_bearable_for_me/

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Len_007

A lot of love for the Switch on the "street" or at least Reddit Ireland. I think people are realising how bloody good a lot of those Nintendo AAA games are. And, how cheerful they are. Beat that MS and Sony.
    Aye, no Golf clubs being used to beat the Male Protagonist of the last game to death in sight.

Quick google, ok, another reason to avoid that game. Will stick with Mario Golf. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you like Golf games, perhaps look at Neo Turf Masters which has been ported to the Switch.
    It's a fantastic arcade originated golf game, well worth the €7 or so it costs and, because of the visual style, still looks fantastic all these years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Would any of you hip kids be able to advise about Wii U Pro controllers? The only thing I can see in the usual places is a bunch of Wish.com resellers and I don't know which ones are exactly reliable.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Would any of you hip kids be able to advise about Wii U Pro controllers? The only thing I can see in the usual places is a bunch of Wish.com resellers and I don't know which ones are exactly reliable.

The official one is really good. I did get a third party one that was really cheap but a bit rubbish in comparison. You could chance a cheap one from Amazon.

No gyro control on the pro controller.

If you do get one, you could compare it to the Wii U gamepad to see how good/bad it is.

CEX might have a few 2nd hand, first (expensive) or third party.

Also, you night be able to get by with a Wii mote and nunchuck depending on the game. Works great if compatible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Apparently 8bitdo are releasing an new controller, the Pro2, which is Switch compatible.
    Looks pretty great too.

https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2/

Just ordered Mario 3D World/Bowser's fury and Pikmin 3 dx from Smyths. I have these mostly on WiiU. I am going bloody mad :). But there are extra bits and I can play portable. And buy Irish on Paddy's Day :) Have yet to actually play Pikmin. Poor auld Yoshi's Wooly World + the Wii games holding the fort on the WiiU. Definitely think Wooly World will make the jump too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Apparently 8bitdo are releasing an new controller, the Pro2, which is Switch compatible.
    Looks pretty great too.

https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2/
    That looks really cool but I can't see where it lists Wii U compatibility? Am I going blind in my old age?

• Advertisement

Ah...
    I didn't read your post properly!
    I imagine you'd pick one up on eBay easy enough

Advertisement