Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo financial results – May 2021 – Switch at 84.59 million units

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-financial-results-may-2021-switch-at-84-59-million-units/

28.8 million were sold this past year, while it hopes to sell 25.5 million in the next year. It has now outsold the GBA.

Here's the updated 1st party million sellers software list.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 35.39 million
    Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 32.63 million
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 23.84 million
    Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 22.28 million
    Pokemon Sword/Shield – 21.10 million
    Super Mario Odyssey – 20.83 million
    Super Mario Party – 14.79 million
    Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu / Eevee – 13.28 million
    Splatoon 2 – 12.21 million
    New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 10.44 million
    Ring Fit Adventure – 10.11 million
    Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 9.59 million
    Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 9.01 million
    Super Mario Maker 2 – 7.15 million
    Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 5.59 million
    Zelda: Link’s Awakening – 5.49 million
    Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 3.14 million
    Paper Mario: The Origami King – 3.12 million
    Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (outside of Japan) – 3.07 million
    Pikmin 3 Deluxe – 2.04 million
    Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition – 1.52 million
    Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit – 1.27 million

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury is the new addition to the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, I got a Flashboy+ for my Virtual Boy the other day and Retr0gamer informed of a game called Bound High, which was supposed to be the first of a series of 2nd generation games for the system, coinciding with its relaunch.
    This relaunch never took place and the games were scrapped, though both were completed.
    While one of them, Dragon Hopper, was a Legend of Zelda style action RPG, it was never released commercially and never found its way to the homebrew scene either.
    Bound High, on the other hand, did and I got to play it last night.
    Wow!
    A great game, streets ahead of everything else on the VB and a definite indicator of what might have been, had the VB gotten support for even another year or two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That colour scheme can go die in a fire though. I didn't even play the video, yet gave me eye strain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

pixelburp wrote: »
    That colour scheme can go die in a fire though. I didn't even play the video, yet gave me eye strain.

It all works better when using the real thing, in my opinion at least.
    In fact, it would my neck, trying to find a comfortable position, that hurt me more playing Bound High.
    I continue to wonder why on earth they never brought the whole lot over to the 3DS.
    But, it is a great little game, a great pity it never got a proper release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Very surprised that they never ported the Warioland title at least, it's a nice little platformer and only uses the 3D really for the jumping in and out of the background, which would work in 2D

Mario Tennis was the pack-in, as far as I know, and it's bloody fantastic, when I demo the machine it's the one I put on.
    It's like Asteroids running on my Vectrex, they show you what amazing games are out there on systems you have often never heard of

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

sligeach wrote: »

Read the article but not entirely sure what it is, is it saying that some of these companies streaming apps would work on Switch because of this software?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Read the article but not entirely sure what it is, is it saying that some of these companies streaming apps would work on Switch because of this software?

Same here, I am confused.com!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Looks like an SDK for devs to use to make it easier to create streaming apps.
    Like Netflix could use it and they'd just have to create the app UI and list their videos, then when the user clicks on the video, the app will pass the URL to NexPlayer and it'll handle the rest. Basically the hard part will be done for them.

Could possibly also be used with cloud streaming.

NexPlayer is bascially a service that you plug into an application so you can include livestreaming or Video On Demand without having to code it all yourself or pay for servers and all that palaver.

The announcement just means that people building apps or games on the switch can now use NexPlayer (or people using NexPlayer on other platforms can build Switch versions)

For example, imagine you were a big fan of TenTime (no I have not heard of it either) and you heard this news, it means you could expect a Switch version might be on the way. The thing is most services will not say what platform they are using to serve video but this page suggest there are some big hitters using it in some way

It's not really "consumer" news, devs and NexStreaming's shareholders might find it of note.

EDIT: What The_B_Man said, I just took too long typing it out

Nintendo Patent Raises Hope For A Functional Switch Web Browser

https://segmentnext.com/nintendo-switch-web-browser/

I'll believe it, when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Anyone used or have Hori Pro controller? ( joycon type things for portable play ) Any opinions on it?

Never knew such thing existed, but I am interested now. It looks a lot more comfortable, then joycons. Plus, one of my joycons had Drift issue, ( already discussed in other thread ) so instead of getting a new joycon set, maybe get one of these?

Is that the split pad controller?

I never use one, no.

I have a third party controller, which comes apart

I ended up repairing my existing set, so they only got a little use, but they were fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Wondering will we ever see a home console from Nintendo again? If the Switch lite is purely portable, then why not a powerful home console only version with much better specs for 4K 60FPS versions of games. With proper 4K art direction and assets by Nintendo artists (not some cemu hack).

No Wii U like bull****, just a regular well designed cool box with a pro controller. I think something like the Series S or X.

They have not played the "powerful home console" game since the Gamecube, which was released almost 20 years ago now.

I wouldn't rule it out but they are making a few quid with their current setup so are probably quite happy as things are.

Recapture the magic of Super Mario 64 with this buildable LEGO ? Block

I don't think I have ever bought myself Lego, and my folks last bought me Lego when I was eight... so that's 1980!

But, looking at that set, I think I have found the Lego set I simply must own (though the Lego typewriter was close!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's cheap enough on a price per piece compared to a lot of licenced Lego sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Though as pointed out online, shouldn't it be an exclamation mark?

That's a fairly stingy discount in my opinion. I thought it might drop to €280, should have known better. But then they'd possibly have to look at a reduction of the Lite as well. While sales are beginning to slow somewhat, they've no real incentive to do a substantial price drop. It's probably just to differentiate its price enough away from the upcoming SWOLED.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I have it, absolutely love it, really recommend it. Much more comfortable than that JoyCons and the thumbsticks are infinitely better - the extra travel distance on them means that FPS games like Borderlands are properly playable.

The other thing I'd recommend especially if you already have a Pro Controller is the Fixture S1 mount - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fixture-S1-Premium-Controller-Nintendo/dp/B08JRVCP2M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Have a Hori too and loved it but it too got the joy con drift. Restarting the switch fixed it for a few weeks but at some point it was unplayable.

I picked up something very similar on Ali express and it's been great. Has 4 programmable buttons on the back too.

But if you use one it is a game changer. FPS games are actually playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

New firmware update apparently includes Bluetooth headphone support. Not tried it yet but it is about time.

+1 to the Fixture S1, I have been using it for a few months now and it's really handy.

Developers Are Making Games for a Nintendo 4K Console That Doesn’t Exist

At least 11 companies, including Zynga, have tools from Nintendo to make 4K Switch games.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-29/nintendo-switch-4k-developers-make-games-for-nonexistent-console

Yes, I'm a robot, Bloomberg.

Poor site strikes again, not the robot bit.

Bloomberg, they do like their pop-ups, don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Advertisement