Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bring back Pillar, he'll do a great job this time around lads

I never even considered him. But I think he has a good head on his shoulders and wouldn't try and reinvent the wheel(o).
    Get a year or two out of him let things settle down. Then give Dessie the chance. I think it is really unfair to give an untested manager the job straight after Jim.
    Let Dessie be a selector first and let him take the O'Byrne Cup teams.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Apparently there's only two names going in front of the county board, Dessie and Pat Gilroy. From those two, I'd say Dessie will get it.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Apparently there's only two names going in front of the county board, Dessie and Pat Gilroy. From those two, I'd say Dessie will get it.

Dessie's interviews are going to be painful to listen to if he gets it. Not the most inspirational sounding fella in the world. For a fella that was so lively in the pitch, I always found it funny that off it, he sounds half asleep.

Dessie has the advantage of managing a lot of them at Underage v Gilroy's experience.
    I wonder would they consider a co-manager idea? Has worked with other counties. Would halve the blame and the spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Short of appointing P.J Gallagher, we don't do charismatic managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I never even considered him. But I think he has a good head on his shoulders and wouldn't try and reinvent the wheel(o).
    Get a year or two out of him let things settle down. Then give Dessie the chance. I think it is really unfair to give an untested manager the job straight after Jim.
    Let Dessie be a selector first and let him take the O'Byrne Cup teams.

31 other counties agree with this post - please appoint pillar, pretty please

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Short of appointing P.J Gallagher, we don't do charismatic managers.

PJ Gallagher? Jim has set some very high bars but evidently some very low ones too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

CatInABox wrote: »

Be a joke if Gilroy got it after leaving the hurlers in the lurch at the drop of the hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Is there not that small part of your soul that hankers for cold winters in Parnell grumbling about getting beaten by Roscommon?

The masochistic savouring of pints after losing a semi final having been 6 points up with 5 minutes left?

The sheer pleasure of being part of a curmudgeonly cult that would find ways of getting to Aughrim for an O'Byrne Cup game and celebrate a win over Wicklow as though it was September?

Or perhaps I have been following the hurlers too long ….

Go home. You're drunk.

31 other counties agree with this post - please appoint pillar, pretty please

But he had the blue book -

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/flashback-to-dublins-blue-book-and-how-one-quote-fits-for-mayos-long-wait-36133960.html

Pillar could get it laminated now or maybe even a hard back version.
    It is all these small changes that will make all the difference! ;)

But he had the blue book -

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/flashback-to-dublins-blue-book-and-how-one-quote-fits-for-mayos-long-wait-36133960.html

Pillar could get it laminated now or maybe even a hard back version.
    It is all these small changes that will make all the difference! ;)

God bless those days when he had the dubs matching arm in arm to the hill and generally making a fool of themselves.

Bring back pillar ta f*ck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I mulled over the idea of "not caring" about next year and revert to my typical "anyone but them" attitude. But nah, gimme six!

I mulled over the idea of "not caring" about next year and revert to my typical "anyone but them" attitude. But nah, gimme six!

It would be annoying if Dublin finally lose this year and those Kerry feckers go one better than they did at minor. I think they are well capable of it as well that team and panel has a decade in them at least.

Dublin having one year off and Joyce leading Galway to glory would be best for all concerned.

Dublin having one year off and Joyce leading Galway to glory would be best for all concerned.

There’s about as much chance of that as there is of Kevin Walsh getting the Barcelona job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Best of luck to Gavin, seemed a great guy.
    I’m not so sure if he’s the best ever manager ever, Dublin are definately the best team to have played however.
    Gavin didn’t exactly build a team, he had the luxuries of dropping guys who would walk on any team in this country.
    All those semis and final victories were home matches!!
    He seems a great guy but I’m reluctant to say the best ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There’s about as much chance of that as there is of Kevin Walsh getting the Barcelona job

If we don't do the 6 in a row, it's not a mad idea to consider Galway winning Sam, given they got to the AI semi finals 2 years ago playing a piss poor brand of football. With a decent manager & the shackles removed, who knows how far they can go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Bambi wrote: »
    Be a joke if Gilroy got it after leaving the hurlers in the lurch at the drop of the hat.

Why would Gilroy risk it by going back, he started it all and has his place in history by winning the first All Ireland after such a long gap.

Ego? Envy at what Gavin done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

It would be annoying if Dublin finally lose this year and those Kerry feckers go one better than they did at minor. I think they are well capable of it as well that team and panel has a decade in them at least.

The age profile of Kerry is not in their favour. Clifford and Sean Se naturally are going to be around at the top level for the next 12 years. But the other boys who are driving it on are the wrong side of 28 and a lot of miles down. It’s not a given that they’ll win one in the next year or 2 and then the oressure is on once retirements start coming through.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If we don't do the 6 in a row, it's not a mad idea to consider Galway winning Sam, given they got to the AI semi finals 2 years ago playing a piss poor brand of football. With a decent manager & the shackles removed, who knows how far they can go?

Plus they have the Corofin lads. It is baffling how they cannot mold a decent side out of the players they have in that county.
    You are dead right though. They really were not making use of them. That div 2 final between Galway and Kildare (a few years ago) had to be one of the worse games I ever saw. They might as well have taken away the posts.

• Advertisement

The age profile of Kerry is not in their favour. Clifford and Sean Se naturally are going to be around at the top level for the next 12 years. But the other boys who are driving it on are the wrong side of 28 and a lot of miles down. It’s not a given that they’ll win one in the next year or 2 and then the oressure is on once retirements start coming through.

I dunno all I know is that this year they had only two lads left from the 2011 final on the panel, Dublin had eleven including Connolly.
    Let's be honest Kerry were unlucky not to win the first day against Dublin.
    All that was missing from them was that bit of cuteness and experience.
    They will have learnt loads from it.

ITman88 wrote: »
    Best of luck to Gavin, seemed a great guy.
    I’m not so sure if he’s the best ever manager ever, Dublin are definately the best team to have played however.
    Gavin didn’t exactly build a team, he had the luxuries of dropping guys who would walk on any team in this country.
    All those semis and final victories were home matches!!
    He seems a great guy but I’m reluctant to say the best ever!

You never heard fellas sulking though. In another fellas hands the whole thing could easily have imploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

He gave great belief in their abilities to the team. No panic, steady steady and the chance will come like in the last few minutes against Mayo and Kerry.

ProudDUB wrote: »

Dublin will win 6 though as they are still a decent bit ahead.

Galway are a good bit off and even their piss poor football changing wont bridge that gap- i dont think they have enough good players and their keeper is one of the worst at county level.

Joyce will improve them but they are 15 point off Dublin and I cant see Dublin falling off that much, even with Gavin leaving.

Gavin's greatest legacy will be that he made himself less and less important and made the team's individual & collective decision making their strongest point.
    That might sound like an oxymoron but he instilled something in the make up of that team that will far outlive him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Thanks Jim for you're selfless service to our county. Probably never see the likes again. All the best going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Edgware wrote: »
    He gave great belief in their abilities to the team. No panic, steady steady and the chance will come like in the last few minutes against Mayo and Kerry.

Gavin's greatest legacy will be that he made himself less and less important and made the team's individual & collective decision making their strongest point.
    That might sound like an oxymoron but he instilled something in the make up of that team that will far outlive him.

Hard to disagree with any of that really.

When you see how calm the players were out there in the drawn game, it beggars belief.

That calmness had us in a position to win that game with Rock's free! We would not have ever been in that position where it not for the calm he exudes.

Hard to disagree with any of that really.

When you see how calm the players were out there in the drawn game, it beggars belief.

That calmness had us in a position to win that game with Rock's free! We would not have ever been in that position where it not for the calm he exudes.

I am just trying to think of any time players starting arguing with each other/ rushed passes etc. It just didn't happen.
    Maybe someone can find cases where they did?

Edit how could I forget 2014 they were well rattled - Christy Toye the grey haired fecker came on as sub and ran riot.

But whatever this 'process' was/is he had them well indoctrinated in it.
    Everything was patient and planned.
    The win against Tyrone in the AI final was the best of Jim's six I think straight from the training ground stuff. Implemented to perfection.

Bambi wrote: »

I think that is bit unfair on him he gave the hurlers a year and is a busy man outside the GAA. The fact he was willing to give a year to hurlers when they were stuck and he was busy surely means he should get more credit for it not less!? Remember GAA managers are double jobbers and amateurs.
    It can't be easy running a successful business, and balancing family life, and throwing in managing a top inter-county team as well.
    Why would Gilroy risk it by going back, he started it all and has his place in history by winning the first All Ireland after such a long gap.

Ego? Envy at what Gavin done?

He's a Dublin GAA man that is why as simple as that.

This is a fella that won an AI club barely hanging on - playing at full forward at about 38. If he had an ego he wouldn't have bothered.
    His auld fella won an AI with the Dubs in 1963. And you are asking would he want the job? He loves the GAA and loves the Dubs. It is in his blood.

If he wants to give a year to the Dublin footballers he is more than entitled to.
    Remember this is the fella that slowly revamped Dublin by working the team into a solid unit first and slowly instilling belief. This is the fella who laid the foundations for what was to come.

Let's not rewrite the history books, some people seem to have very short memories when it suits them!

Disclaimer - I am not a Vinnies man nor am I in anyway associated with them. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Ger Brennan was on the wireless this morning saying Gilroy is more or less based in Dublin now so travelling not an issue.
    If he wants it it’s his imo!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement