Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Have a lot of time for jim Gavin as a man a manager and what he has accomplished with Dublin but fukk am I delighted he’s gone.. someone else might get a chance!!
    One thing I admired and is evident to see, no individual was bigger than the team

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So. It was all a bad dream, right? Right? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I hope Pat Gilroy gets it for the year steady the ship - safe choice. Then Dessie can get it after him - will be less pressure on him that way.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Gael85

I hope Pat Gilroy gets it for the year steady the ship - safe choice. Then Dessie can get it after him - will be less pressure on him that way.

Can't see Gilroy taking charge due to work commitments abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

If pat Gilroy left the hurlers for work reasons how would he manage the footballers unless something has changed can't see it happening. Unless someone in the current set up really wants it it's a very tough decision for the county board as all others mentioned apart from Dessie are going to be a bit of a gamble taking over such a setup.Dessie would know a lot of.the players so has a wee advantage there but all others are stepping up big time .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I can't see John Costello not having a succession plan in place, to be honest. He's played a big part in turning Dublin around, and I'd be confident that Gavin and himself have been talking for weeks over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There's no way this is a "surprise" to the DCB.

We're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

This may not be a popular view, but I wouldn't be that upset if Dublin were to go a few years without winning an AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bonniedog wrote: »
    This may not be a popular view, but I wouldn't be that upset if Dublin were to go a few years without winning an AI.

Leave your coddle recipes on the sideboard on your way out pal.

Good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Since 2000? it will be interesting to see where they rank Darren Homan and Shane Ryan.
    Would Collie Moran, Wayne McCarthy and Mac Vaughan, Paul Casey get on the list?..... :rolleyes:

Edit - Just looked at the 50 down - Collie (48) Paul Casey (46) smacks of tokenism due to longetiveity and heart more than actual gaelic football prowess

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ranking-the-top-50-dublin-players-of-the-millennium-4150-38723095.html

Feck Sake they put Cormac Costello at (41) and Curran at (44)! I would love to know the criteria they are ranking these on or are they just really listing players?

The top 10 is obviously heavily weighted to the current team and rightly so.
    I think if Shane Ryan was around with this team he would have been top 10 easy, he would have been perfect for the team and be one of their most important players

• Advertisement

Leave your coddle recipes on the sideboard on your way out pal.

Good lad.

That's how it starts... next Bonniedog will be asking what we think of the Meath GAA vest

https://www.oneills.com/meath-gaa-vest-2017-adults.html

as he misses Trevor Giles (with his cut jersey)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

dobman88 wrote: »
    Not too surprised. Out at the top, goes down at the GOAT Gaa manager. Literally won it all. From a purely selfish point of view I am delighted but jesus his teams were sensational to watch these last few years. Best of luck to him whatever he turns his hand to now.

Steady on now, he might be part of the conversation but to state this as a fait acccomplis is a little knee-jerk.

kilns wrote: »
    I think if Shane Ryan was around with this team he would have been top 10 easy, he would have been perfect for the team and be one of their most important players

Yep he would versatility run though a wall, and run all day - if 'turnovers' and 'transitions' and 'learnings' existed in his day he would have been top notch at them. A Ciaran Kilkenny before Kilkenny was invented!

Not too surprised. Out at the top, goes down at the GOAT Gaa manager. Literally won it all. From a purely selfish point of view I am delighted but jesus his teams were sensational to watch these last few years. Best of luck to him whatever he turns his hand to now.
    Pogue eile wrote: »
    Steady on now, he might be part of the conversation but to state this as a fait acccomplis is a little knee-jerk.

To be classed as the GOAT Jim possibly needs to manage one of the weaker counties/sleeping giants now. And improve them like a certain Kerryman did. I am not sure how Mayo/Meath/Kerry would take to a Dublin manager though? :D

He could bring some of the 'Dublin B team' with him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

He has done what a few managers before have tried and failed. The 5 in a row. Hes the GOAT. Only non Dubs and hurling fans will be arguing other wise. Being a Kerry man it pains me to say it but he did what all other failed to do. Its not just the 5 anyway, it's the brand of football his teams played while doing it, the way they carry themselves off the pitch (I've been lucky enough to meet some through work and just randomly out and about) and they all had a few words and seemed genuine. He has brought that mentality to a team and all of that cant be understated either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The number of conversations I've had over the last 2 years with people complaining that football is "ruined" that Dublin will be winning All-Irelands for years to come. Every time my response has been that things will change, Dublin's time in the sun will come to an end.

This is the beginning of that end. Even if the next manager is as good as Jim, it will take time to build a repore, to create the trust between team and manager. Twice this year Dublin were having trouble finding their feet in a game, and after the half time talk they came out and dominated.

Would we have beaten Mayo this year without Jim talking in the changing room at half time?

If Dublin win no. 6 next year, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Getting to the final is an almost-definite. But winning is a whole team effort, backroom staff and management included. If anyone isn't on board, Dublin will struggle.

The only good thing about Jim standing down now is that there is a whole season in the League for his successor to bed in and the team to get used to a new style.

He has done what a few managers before have tried and failed. The 5 in a row. Hes the GOAT. Only non Dubs and hurling fans will be arguing other wise. Being a Kerry man it pains me to say it but he did what all other failed to do. Its not just the 5 anyway, it's the brand of football his teams played while doing it, the way they carry themselves off the pitch (I've been lucky enough to meet some through work and just randomly out and about) and they all had a few words and seemed genuine. He has brought that mentality to a team and all of that cant be understated either.

I never mentioned any hurling managers, but obviously you assumed I was talking about Cody, which I guess says enough really. Mick O'Dwyer is also very much in that conversation without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

I never mentioned any hurling managers, but obviously you assumed I was talking about Cody, which I guess says enough really. Mick O'Dwyer is also very much in that conversation without question.

Of course, him and Cody would come up in any conversation. Cody for the sheer length of time hes been going for a start. But even he couldn't do the 5 with that great KK team and that's the bar that's been set now. One man has done the 5, others haven't. That's the difference.

Anyway I feel a little dirty talking up a Dub so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I disagree, he's up there for sure but Micko is till on top when it comes to football. 8 All-Irelands with Kerry, then moved on to 2 Leinster championships with Kildare (and took them to an AI final), followed by Leinster Championship win with Laois, their first in 57 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

seamus wrote: »

Would we have beaten Mayo this year without Jim talking in the changing room at half time?

ll the anecdotal evidence is that he says very little.

The backs have their chat, the forwards have their chat, then one of the management team reemphasise the principles of their game plan.

Be very interesting to see if the culture just continues on. I think it could well do, the players are driving it.

• Advertisement

mystic86 wrote: »
    I disagree, he's up there for sure but Micko is till on top when it comes to football. 8 All-Irelands with Kerry, then moved on to 2 Leinster championships with Kildare (and took them to an AI final), followed by Leinster Championship win with Laois, their first in 57 years.

I think the way he gave Wicklow a lift was the most impressive for me.
    Didn't they beat Kildare? I heard he was simplistic in his methods a few laps of the pitch etc. But he must be have been some motivator to lift players and make them believe especially those who had no history or tradition of it.

That's how it starts... next Bonniedog will be asking what we think of the Meath GAA vest

https://www.oneills.com/meath-gaa-vest-2017-adults.html

as he misses Trevor Giles (with his cut jersey)

Is there not that small part of your soul that hankers for cold winters in Parnell grumbling about getting beaten by Roscommon?

The masochistic savouring of pints after losing a semi final having been 6 points up with 5 minutes left?

The sheer pleasure of being part of a curmudgeonly cult that would find ways of getting to Aughrim for an O'Byrne Cup game and celebrate a win over Wicklow as though it was September?

Or perhaps I have been following the hurlers too long ….

Is there not that small part of your soul that hankers for cold winters in Parnell grumbling about getting beaten by Roscommon?

The masochistic savouring of pints after losing a semi final having been 6 points up with 5 minutes left?

The sheer pleasure of being part of a curmudgeonly cult that would find ways of getting to Aughrim for an O'Byrne Cup game and celebrate a win over Wicklow as though it was September?

Or perhaps I have been following the hurlers too long ….

Nope I feel I have suffered enough the missed penos v meath, the loss after the four in a row Meath games, the beatings against those Ulster sides in the 90's (when they were already won in our minds/and the players).

Right up to the decade after Kerry in Thurles (Dessie's open goal miss) the horrible loss against Westmeath, Cossi hitting the post v Armagh, though the hammerings by Tyrone and Kerry.
    The pining for a league win after 93 looking for any sign of hope anywhere at all. An u21 win in 2003 treated like deliverance -even if it was against the hungover stars from Tyrone who played senior (after the AI senior final)
    All those collapses that happened all of a sudden against so many teams - Derry 93, Kildare 2000, Mayo 2006, Cork 2010 etc

As you said the hurlers are there if you want to feel hard done by you only have to look at this year! :eek:

What worries me now for the footballers is the whole thing could start dipping very quickly as psychology and mindset do funny things to players. Fellas not training as hard, going through the motions. It happened the 95 side. I know this era are exceptional and worlds apart to this era. But it would only be human nature to let standards dip.

Whether it is Dessie or whoever, players will try and chance thier arm a bit with the 'new guy' in charge. And see what they can get away with.
    It will be very hard to go to war with a new general and a feeling that there is no wars left to fight.

Meanwhile there is Kerry who should have won last year but didn't...
    I don't want Kerry to win it. If Dublin don't win it this year I wouldn't begrudge another county winning it as long as it is not Kerry.
    I only went most of my life without Dublin beating Kerry in league or championship until more recent GAA history.

So I wouldn't be wishing that Dublin would not win it for while. Because 'a while' could very quickly turn into a decade or more.
    When Charlie won in 83 he said he thought he would be winning one every year, or every couple of years!

Of course, him and Cody would come up in any conversation. Cody for the sheer length of time hes been going for a start. But even he couldn't do the 5 with that great KK team and that's the bar that's been set now. One man has done the 5, others haven't. That's the difference.

We will agree to disagree so! Certainly not the time for such discussions either way.

We will agree to disagree so! Certainly not the time for such discussions either way.

I never thought I would live to see the day where Kerry fellas were discussing whether a Dublin manager was the GOAT. :D

I never thought I would live to see the day where Kerry fellas were discussing whether a Dublin manager was the GOAT. :D

You still haven't! I'm not or never have been from Kerry :D

Nope I feel I have suffered enough the missed penos v meath, the loss after the four in a row Meath games, the beatings against those Ulster sides in the 90's (when they were already won in our minds/and the players).

Right up to the decade after Kerry in Thurles (Dessie's open goal miss) the horrible loss against Westmeath, Cossi hitting the post v Armagh, though the hammerings by Tyrone and Kerry.
    The pining for a league win after 93 looking for any sign of hope anywhere at all. An u21 win in 2003 treated like deliverance -even if it was against the hungover stars from Tyrone who played senior (after the AI senior final)
    All those collapses that happened all of a sudden against so many teams - Derry 93, Kildare 2000, Mayo 2006, Cork 2010 etc

As you said the hurlers are there if you want to feel hard done by you only have to look at this year! :eek:

What worries me now for the footballers is the whole thing could start dipping very quickly as psychology and mindset do funny things to players. Fellas not training as hard, going through the motions. It happened the 95 side. I know this era are exceptional and worlds apart to this era. But it would only be human nature to let standards dip.

Whether it is Dessie or whoever, players will try and chance thier arm a bit with the 'new guy' in charge. And see what they can get away with.
    It will be very hard to go to war with a new general and a feeling that there is no wars left to fight.

Meanwhile there is Kerry who should have won last year but didn't...
    I don't want Kerry to win it. If Dublin don't win it this year I wouldn't begrudge another county winning it as long as it is not Kerry.
    I only went most of my life without Dublin beating Kerry in league or championship until more recent GAA history.

So I wouldn't be wishing that Dublin would not win it for while. Because 'a while' could very quickly turn into a decade or more.
    When Charlie won in 83 he said he thought he would be winning one every year, or every couple of years!

I guess I've gone all Nick Hornby on this.

Remember in book when he started to resent his girlfriend celebrating Arsenal winning the league in 1989 because she hadn't been through all the bad times.

Perhaps I ought to have become a monk.

They probably get more riding too :)

You still haven't! I'm not or never have been from Kerry :D
    Oh right sorry for the terrible insult! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Bring back Pillar, he'll do a great job this time around lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭muddle84

ll the anecdotal evidence is that he says very little.

The backs have their chat, the forwards have their chat, then one of the management team reemphasise the principles of their game plan.

Be very interesting to see if the culture just continues on. I think it could well do, the players are driving it.

It can only be player led to a point. It was Gavin that brought back Connolly onto the team, if it was really player led would they have all brought Connolly back into it? Somebody has to be the boss with the final say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement