Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Slattsy wrote: »
    I knew Declan well, awful sad.

A hell of a husband, father, friend and club chairman. Leaves a big gap that will take many of us to fill. Last three Kickhams Chairmen....Declan, died at 56, Tom O'Donohue died at 65 and Sean Andrews died at 58. Way too much heart, soul and passion to lose so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Great pic from the wedding.

Glad they're all having fun.

Makes me want to cry 'tho.... :(

Hopefully new management sees the lighter side.

A two week ban for Fenton would probably be appropriate ……...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Seems to be the Vincent’s mans job according to a few people I’ve been taking to.

I’m surprised to be honest but then again I don’t think Dessie deserved it just yet.

He’s won nothing against the head- that ‘11 and ‘12 minor teams were 2 of the best of all time and he only returned one title while his na fianna left it behind them this year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Wasn't sure if these were confirmed dates before, but they look to be now.

https://twitter.com/DubMatchTracker/status/1204704421701210112

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Really looking forward to seeing what Kenny gets out of the hurlers this year, but that home/away schedule looks a bit fearsome.

• Advertisement

Be doing well to avoid relegation play off.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Be doing well to avoid relegation play off.

Yeah, that's my thinking as well, but isn't there something about a reorg of the league? Or did that happen last year?

Bottom team in each of the two top sections play off and loser goes down to 2A.

Should be well beyond having to worry about that, but will need to beat Laois and Carlow to avoid a playoff. Anything after that be a bonus.

Bottom team in each of the two top sections play off and loser goes down to 2A.

Should be well beyond having to worry about that, but will need to beat Laois and Carlow to avoid a playoff. Anything after that be a bonus.

Yes, that makes it easier alright, I had thought that the bottom two in each group played off, which would have made it harder. I hope after last year that the team progresses and is relatively comfortable in the end.

Have to admit, every time I think about them I revert to post Portlaoise depression.

Probably being too pessimistic and I know they took it hard but it really is a case of starting all over again.

It's small margins but any team with aspirations does not get chinned by Laois in the championship or have to worry about beating them or Carlow in the league.

Dublin are regarded as weak now, and it will take a while to recover. But as I said, perhaps I am being too negative.

• Advertisement

Have to admit, every time I think about them I revert to post Portlaoise depression.

Probably being too pessimistic and I know they took it hard but it really is a case of starting all over again.

It's small margins but any team with aspirations does not get chinned by Laois in the championship or have to worry about beating them or Carlow in the league.

Dublin are regarded as weak now, and it will take a while to recover. But as I said, perhaps I am being too negative.

Nope, I'm not thinking about that, I won't, you can't make me.....

Perhaps they've spent the off season in a therapists office, lying back, trying to work out whatever problem they've got in their heads that stops them from performing to their ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

We need to learn how to win games away from the comfort of Parnell Park. Until we do that & do it fairly consistently, this team are going nowhere imo. Actual wins. Not draws, not moral victories, not narrow 2 pt losses after being in a close game in the 70th minute, no 'we would have won but for the injury to X, the poxy ref, Y getting sent off, etc etc' hard luck stories. Real wins, on the scoreboard. That's all that matters if you want to be a true contender.

Indeed. And I thought earlier in the year they were getting there.

Beating Tipp in league and Galway in Parnell were big wins, but in retrospect you would wonder did they create a false sense of achievement.

Was talking to Tipp chap whose son is on Tipp panel after the win in Thurles. Of course I was on a high as in over 40 years of being at games, I'd never witnessed this before. It was one of those things like beating the Cats that at one time seemed impossible.

He was pretty blunt about it. Told me that the game was below Sheedy's radar and they were following a programme in which league was irrelevant other than avoiding messy play offs.

He told me same after they were beaten by Limerick in Munster and said same; that Sheedy couldn't have cared less about that game and that in fact it guaranteed a softer quarter final.

Against, yes... ourselves. And we didn't even get to be the sacrificial lamb!

Sobering thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭billyhead

Indeed. And I thought earlier in the year they were getting there.

Beating Tipp in league and Galway in Parnell were big wins, but in retrospect you would wonder did they create a false sense of achievement.

Was talking to Tipp chap whose son is on Tipp panel after the win in Thurles. Of course I was on a high as in over 40 years of being at games, I'd never witnessed this before. It was one of those things like beating the Cats that at one time seemed impossible.

He was pretty blunt about it. Told me that the game was below Sheedy's radar and they were following a programme in which league was irrelevant other than avoiding messy play offs.

He told me same after they were beaten by Limerick in Munster and said same; that Sheedy couldn't have cared less about that game and that in fact it guaranteed a softer quarter final.

Against, yes... ourselves. And we didn't even get to be the sacrificial lamb!

Sobering thoughts.

Doubt its true about Tipp not caring about the Limerick results in Munster. You can guarantee that any team in Munster would love to win a provincial title. Its still held in high regard due to the competitiveness and history and winning builds momentum. He was just trying to save face. The Dubs boss is to be named tomorrow. I would have my money on Dessie to get it despite talk of Tommy Conroy now looking like a good bet. Jayo will probably form part of the coaching ticket along with perhaps Paul Clarke.

Tipp trained seriously the Friday before the Munster final. It was more of a test to see how they would perform under that kind of physical burden.

Winning Munster was no part of Sheedy's plan once it became clear how the draw was going to pan out.

Even the Tipp line out and tactics in Munster final bore little resemblance to his game plan for the AI series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

billyhead wrote: »
    Doubt its true about Tipp not caring about the Limerick results in Munster. You can guarantee that any team in Munster would love to win a provincial title. Its still held in high regard due to the competitiveness and history and winning builds momentum. He was just trying to save face. The Dubs boss is to be named tomorrow. I would have my money on Dessie to get it despite talk of Tommy Conroy now looking like a good bet. Jayo will probably form part of the coaching ticket along with perhaps Paul Clarke.

You only have to watch the Munster Final back again to see where it lay in Sheedy's priorities, Tipp played a completly different style of hurling, it was back to the long, high ball into the forwards giving them no chance. Remember the last time Tipp won an AI under Sheedy in 2010 they were annihalated by Cork in the first round of Munster and Sheedy stood on the sideline and never changed a thing, he visibly told John O'Brien to stand off John Gardner who was given the freedom of the Pairc and made Setanta O'Hailpin look like an intercounty hurler!

Sheedy is brilliant tactician. Tipp have Munster titles by the barrel load. No harm to Limerick but it meant nothing this year. They were defending an All Ireland and lost out. Sheedy had his boys peak at exactly the right time, and would have beaten Limerick had they been there instead of the Cats.

Anyway, that is by the way. Dublin and Kenny are in different universe, unfortunately.

The record of the Munster Champions this decade is horrendous. Can very much believe that LS wasn't terribly bothered by not winning it. But I don't believe for a second that he wasn't rightly pissed off by the manner of the Limerick defeat & the size of the losing margin. What manager worth his salt wouldn't be?

But yeah, timing your run is what really matters. You can't be peaking all year long & setting too much store in a victory, when the other sides priorities lie elsewhere. That can be fatal.

Look at the rugger buggers. Lost the run of themselves for beating the All Blacks in a non World Cup year. NZ probably forgot about that loss (and the one after it) about 5 minutes later, as they had bigger fish to fry in 2019. Granted, they fell at the final hurdle this year, but the basic point still stands.

Daly did same as Sheedy - and am sure there are lots of other examples - with Dublin in 2013. Went on horrendous Cape Clear boot camp weekend before an atrocious hammering by Tipp in league quarter or semi in Thurles.

humiliated, but was last game they lost until AI semi final.

Idea is, comes from boxing I think originally , is that a tired fighter put in the ring is surviving on gut instinct, but probably going to lose on stamina.

Lesson is you become mentally stronger and next game rested and properly conditioned you are up for it.

Obviously works. I'm sure JG has done same in football league, although they most likely still won!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Did I read somewhere we’d know our new manager before the 12th or was I hallucinating.

• Advertisement

Did I read somewhere we’d know our new manager before the 12th or was I hallucinating.

The county board meets on the 12th to decide. Apparently there was only two names going forward, Pat and Dessie. Not sure how accurate that is, got it from second captains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

billyhead wrote: »

A few Tipp lads told me the same before the Limerick game. There was only one piece of silverware Liam Sheedy wanted and he was firmly fixed on September.

Are many new faces surfacing to really challenge for spot on senior hurling team? Agree with previous points in that we need more than morale wins on the road and we need ouur minor/U/20s to make inroads and make Leinster finals more often

There are not new faces. Underage has been bad last couple of years.

I thought Kenny might have taken what was there and brought a bit of steel and nous from Cuala, He didn't.

Apart from Tipp league game and Galway they showed nothing. I was talking to Galway people before the Parnell game and they were oozing arrogance as only they can despite being serial losers. I knew we could take them in a dog fight.

You wont do that to Tipp or Cats in summer.

Dessie Farrell just confirmed as new Dublin manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

G'wan Dessie ya daisy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Really looking forward to seeing Dublin play again in the football and if our style will change at all.

Any ideas if any of thr previous staff will stay on with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Twas a no brainer

If he’s half as good a manager as he was a footballer then ye are sorted.

• Advertisement

This will be interesting. Starting with who he brings in with him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement