Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭MFPM

On one level Gavin's announcement is a surprise, I got the impression from comments recently that he was staying on, however he has nothing left to achieve so you can understand it. Interesting to see who get's the gig now. I wonder will Cluxton follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Not too surprised. Out at the top, goes down at the GOAT Gaa manager. Literally won it all. From a purely selfish point of view I am delighted but jesus his teams were sensational to watch these last few years. Best of luck to him whatever he turns his hand to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Dessie the obvious choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Devastated and delighted at the same time, will obviously be missed but to go out at the absolute pinnacle is something very few achieve. Management roles in particular normally end in disappointment so for Jim I’m delighted he goes out on his terms as the history making leader he is. Thank you for everything Jim, this decade I had some of the best days of my life that his stewardship produced, and that I will be forever grateful. Best of luck for the future sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭threeball

dobman88 wrote: »
    Not too surprised. Out at the top, goes down at the GOAT Gaa manager. Literally won it all. From a purely selfish point of view I am delighted but jesus his teams were sensational to watch these last few years. Best of luck to him whatever he turns his hand to now.

Goat gaa manager? Hardly. He had along way to go before he matched Cody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Absolute legend. Thanks for everything Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Think Gavins biggest legacy is that I’m not convinced this news is even that big of a negative for Dublin.

Stargazing somewhat of course with that comment but itll be interesting to see how seamless or otherwise the transition is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭muddle84

Didn't see that coming, has to have been the best manager football has ever seen. He even achieved what Cody couldn't in his code, so maybe the best GAA manager ever not just football?

Happy retirement to him either way. A massive loss to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,266 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm gonna assume that means Steven will hang around at least another year now. You couldn't have Bernard Jim and Steven all leave in same season.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't follow suit and retire.

If it is on his mind already then this will push him to go, because even if the next manager is someone he knows does he really want to make the adjustments that will be inevitable under any new manager? Prove himself to a new manager who might think looking to the future needs to be done and would consider dropping Cluxton to be making his mark on the squad?

I'd be shocked if he doesn't follow suit and retire.

If it is on his mind already then this will push him to go, because even if the next manager is someone he knows does he really want to make the adjustments that will be inevitable under any new manager? Prove himself to a new manager who might think looking to the future needs to be done and would consider dropping Cluxton to be making his mark on the squad?

What sort of an idiot would do that? Nobody linked with the Dublin job would be stupid enough to go down that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,266 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What sort of an idiot would do that? Nobody linked with the Dublin job would be stupid enough to go down that route.

History is full of idiots, and managers who had different ideas on how things should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Has caught some by surprise but was plenty of hints from the players in the media, a bit strange he didn't call quits after the All Ireland final replay. He showed more emotion after that final win than others, clearly it was a goodbye to incredible journey.

Huge boots to fill and I presume Dessie Farrell will be favourite to take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Has caught some by surprise but was plenty of hints from the players in the media, a bit strange he didn't call quits after the All Ireland final replay. He showed more emotion after that final win than others, clearly it was a goodbye to incredible journey.

Huge boots to fill and I presume Dessie Farrell will be favourite to take over.

Typical him, he more than likely didn't want to overshadow the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Just back from getting a hiding in a football match to this news. Dissapointed.
    But fair play Jim. We all owe you and your team big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Surprised and not surprised if you know what I mean. On one hand, I'm surprised he announced this late in the year. But on the other hand, what else is there left for him to achieve? He's won everything multiple times. A record number of titles that I don't see being surpassed in the near future anyway. He's done it all. Better to go out on a high than hang on hoping to go one better again and leaving on a disappointed note if it doesn't work out. It's the best time to go, imo.

Best of luck to him. Best manager I've seen in my lifetime.

Doesn't leave the county board much wriggle room to line up the next man. There's matches just the other side of Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

threeball wrote: »
    Doesn't leave the county board much wriggle room to line up the next man. There's matches just the other side of Christmas

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a ready made replacement lined up already. Don't think Gavin is the type of character to just land them in it. I'd say there were talks happening behind the scenes before now and he announced once he knew it was all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Think Gavins biggest legacy is that I’m not convinced this news is even that big of a negative for Dublin.

Stargazing somewhat of course with that comment but itll be interesting to see how seamless or otherwise the transition is.

Can I have some of that crack you're smoking?

This is a massive, massive negative for Dublin. It can not be underestimated.

We have always had the resources that the begrudgers like to pin our recent success on - a big population & sponsors with deep pockets in particular. Yet we only won 1 All Ireland in the nearly 30 years between the last one of the Heffo era & 2011.

It took Jim Gavin to pull everything together to get us where we are now. (With Pat Gilroy & John Costello deserving a lot of credit too.)

I just feel like crying. Plain and simple.

PressRun wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if there's a ready made replacement lined up already. Don't think Gavin is the type of character to just land them in it. I'd say there were talks happening behind the scenes before now and he announced once he knew it was all sorted.

Possibly but it would be hard to keep it quiet as these things are always full of fellas dying to get the news out first. There wasn't a sniff of this coming

I'm surprised there hasn't been other retirements, only Brogan and O Gara gone so far, if I'm correct?
    Will this be a catalyst for a few more.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Can I have some of that crack you're smoking?

This is a massive, massive negative for Dublin. It can not be underestimated.

We have always had the resources that the begrudgers like to pin our recent success on - a big population & sponsors with deep pockets in particular. Yet we only won 1 All Ireland in the nearly 30 years between the last one of the Heffo era & 2011.

It took Jim Gavin to pull everything together to get us where we are now. (With Pat Gilroy & John Costello deserving a lot of credit too.)

I just feel like crying. Plain and simple.

This isn’t a Jim McGuinness or an Alex Ferguson type of figure.

Gavin’s biggest impact and his legacy is, as he and all the players say themselves, is that the Dublin team is now player led and it looks after itself in terms of culture and whats expected of them as people and players.

Theoretically, in that context then, you would expect the same standards to continue given that it’s not dependent on one autocratic figure at the top unlike Ferguson for example.

That’s one hell of a position to leave a team in and why I don’t expect it to unravel.

I’m looking from the outside in, I won’t be popping any champagne corks over this news.

If cluxton goes then the cat is really amongst the pigeons because that will be the game changer despite how good Comerford may or may not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Gutted to see Jim step down think it is a massive loss for us .Margins very tight in big games so having a manager of the highest calibre on the sideline is vital.His management of the whole squad has been superb and leaves the next man in with a near thankless task.Fully expect Cluko to go now but that would be no big surprise anyway. A huge thanks to Jim for all he has done feel lucky to have seen all the matches during his time and an era I never thought would happen for Dublin football .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Disappointed. I had been wondering just how far this Dublin team could go with Gavin, but I guess we'll just have to be content with the five in a row and 6 All Irelands in seven years.

We're so incredibly lucky and privileged to be around during his era.

While I am disappointed, I can't say that I'm terribly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

This isn’t a Jim McGuinness or an Alex Ferguson type of figure.

Gavin’s biggest impact and his legacy is, as he and all the players say themselves, is that the Dublin team is now player led and it looks after itself in terms of culture and whats expected of them as people and players.

Theoretically, in that context then, you would expect the same standards to continue given that it’s not dependent on one autocratic figure at the top unlike Ferguson for example.

That’s one hell of a position to leave a team in and why I don’t expect it to unravel.

I see where you are coming from. But all it takes is one bad (or even mildy inadequate) managerial appointment & what he created could all come tumbling down. If it were that easy to create a winning culture & mindset amongst the players, everyone would be doing it. They're not.

You have to have a pretty decent sized ego to consider yourself good enough to be an intercounty manager - not just the Dublin one. With that ego comes an inbuilt instinct to be your own man, do things your own way & not be seen to just be rehashing what the man that went before you did.

Gavin's great genius wasn't his lack of ego. It was that he was able to channel that ego & his ideas into what was best for the team & not what was best for him, or made him feel all powerful.

My fear is someone new coming in & fcuking things up. Not deliberately, but because their perfectly natural need to do things their way, upsets the chemistry of a very, very finely balanced apple cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,944 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m guessing that there is an agreement in place with Jim’s replacement...I’ve zero insider info but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it might be Jayo...we’ll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

I'm surprised there hasn't been other retirements, only Brogan and O Gara gone so far, if I'm correct?
    Will this be a catalyst for a few more.

You would have to think Cluxton could well be for retirement now. I hope not but can see that one coming soon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

PressRun wrote: »

Hope your right and would think you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Really gonna miss a lot of things with Jim gone now but one thing which it was always impossible to miss about him was how calm and cool he was in almost every situation. Jesus he was in some tight situations as well!

All of the homecoming celebrations we had over the last few years my favorite part was Jim's speech near the end. If there was ever the perfect spokesperson for Dublin Gaa. The guy was an absolute professional at all times never looked fazed by anything or anyone just stuck to his game.

I mean all you have to do is look at how he announced Connolly returning to the panel last season!

Imagine having someone like him leading you it must of been incredibly motivating.

Genuinely cant believe he wont be there at all next season. Not gonna lie i was calm enough going into the new year but today has changed all of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dragonboat

To give the other counties a chance I hope you appoint Rory Gallagher!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,944 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Really gonna miss a lot of things with Jim gone now but one thing which it was always impossible to miss about him was how calm and cool he was in almost every situation. Jesus he was in some tight situations as well!

All of the homecoming celebrations we had over the last few years my favorite part was Jim's speech near the end. If there was ever the perfect spokesperson for Dublin Gaa. The guy was an absolute professional at all times never looked fazed by anything or anyone just stuck to his game.

Imagine having someone like him leading you it must of been incredible

Never ranting or raving, 3 points up or 3 down, referee making a balls of things, his own players doing likewise and it was always or more or less always thoughtful, never overly emotive, planning, observing and trusting in his team, their ability and the work they did to get that far, belief in EVERYTHING they did...

He was a nightmare for a journalist I’d imagine, frank and to the point with answers but he was too savvy and intelligent to be drawn into anything much beyond a sound byte or two regardless of the result, performance, referee or opposition tactics... it was either way all about the next day....clever guy in every aspect of his management.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement