Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Wonder what kinda team we will see against Kerry in January!?

I cant wait to go id buy me ticket now if i could :pac: but cant help feeling would of been a great game to have nearer the end of the fixtures when both teams are back in full swing.

Nah, you need to have the post AIF buzz going into it. The league always has a tendency to peter out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Nah, you need to have the post AIF buzz going into it. The league always has a tendency to peter out.

I only find it gets bit dry if there's less to play for but I'm sure Dublin and Kerry will be going for top spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Is there anywhere at all to pick up a jersey for less than €70? Black friday etc.

I saw Elverys doing buy 1 and second 1 half price, but when I got there all the GAA stuff was excluded from the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

Is there anywhere at all to pick up a jersey for less than €70? Black friday etc.

I saw Elverys doing buy 1 and second 1 half price, but when I got there all the GAA stuff was excluded from the sale.

If go to O'Neills factory shop on Long Mile Road will probably get for less than 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wonder what kinda team we will see against Kerry in January!?

I cant wait to go id buy me ticket now if i could :pac: but cant help feeling would of been a great game to have nearer the end of the fixtures when both teams are back in full swing.

A very sun burnt and still slightly hung over one, I imagine.

I'm pumped up for January 25th too. But whether we play them in round 1 or round 7, the outcome won't really matter. There'll be lots of talk about hurt and hunger and laying down markers and all that shyte. But whether we put a W, a L or a D on the board, it won't make any difference come the summer. We've a mixed bag of league results against Kerry this decade, but they still haven't been able to beat us when it mattered.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    A very sun burnt and still slightly hung over one, I imagine.

I'm pumped up for January 25th too. But whether we play them in round 1 or round 7, the outcome won't really matter. There'll be lots of talk about hurt and hunger and laying down markers and all that shyte. But whether we put a W, a L or a D on the board, it won't make any difference come the summer. We've a mixed bag of league results against Kerry this decade, but they still haven't been able to beat us when it mattered.

The way we lost against them in the league last season annoyed me for a while because i felt we only really got going when it was too late.

Ill be happy once there performance levels are good and the right players are getting minutes ahead of the main event in the summer. Be interesting to see who will come threw the league and takes there place in the All Ireland squad seeing as theres a couple of spots to be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Eamo is in my top 10. One for act of intrepid brilliance and bravery alone. And we all know what that is.

#RememberTheEamo

Since 2000? it will be interesting to see where they rank Darren Homan and Shane Ryan.
    Would Collie Moran, Wayne McCarthy and Mac Vaughan, Paul Casey get on the list?..... :rolleyes:

Edit - Just looked at the 50 down - Collie (48) Paul Casey (46) smacks of tokenism due to longetiveity and heart more than actual gaelic football prowess

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ranking-the-top-50-dublin-players-of-the-millennium-4150-38723095.html

Feck Sake they put Cormac Costello at (41) and Curran at (44)! I would love to know the criteria they are ranking these on or are they just really listing players?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Since 2000? it will be interesting to see where they rank Darren Homan and Shane Ryan.
    Would Collie Moran, Wayne McCarthy and Mac Vaughan, Paul Casey get on the list?..... :rolleyes:

Edit - Just looked at the 50 down - Collie (48) Paul Casey (46) smacks of tokenism due to longetiveity and heart more than actual gaelic football prowess

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ranking-the-top-50-dublin-players-of-the-millennium-4150-38723095.html

Feck Sake they put Cormac Costello at (41) and Curran at (44)! I would love to know the criteria they are ranking these on or are they just really listing players?

My post was ever so slightly tongue in cheek. He's not in my top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would think that they are purposely putting players in odd rankings to start debate and ultimately clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

salmocab wrote: »
    I would think that they are purposely putting players in odd rankings to start debate and ultimately clicks.

Possibly but in fairness it's an absolute impossible task and you will never even have near agreement, for a start the game has evolved beyond recognition in the last 20 years and secondly you are simply not comparing like with like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

They're basing it on their football form from the year 2,000 onwards so they're basically discounting how good Curran was in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'd have had Paul Flynn ahead of a few in the top 10. Unbelievable at his peak, first name on the team sheet for me back then.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    They're basing it on their football form from the year 2,000 onwards so they're basically discounting how good Curran was in the 90s.

That does not make any sense considering they have put Collie Moran and Paul Casey on it. They were mostly consistent 6/10 players. Reliable could do a solid job. But they were only there because there was not much else available at the time.
    Curran still had great skill, class, and composure even in the autumn of his playing days.

I won't be reading the rest of the list after that. :mad:

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'd have had Paul Flynn ahead of a few in the top 10. Unbelievable at his peak, first name on the team sheet for me back then.

I don't know how he was so good for so long. Incredible that he kept up those standards. Pure drive in him. It got to the stage where it was just assumed Flynn would play well. The debate was always on the other positions (barring keeper) and not his.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

That does not make any sense considering they have put Collie Moran and Paul Casey on it. They were mostly consistent 6/10 players. Reliable could do a solid job. But they were only there because there was not much else available at the time.
    Curran still had great skill, class, and composure even in the autumn of his playing days.

I won't be reading the rest of the list after that. :mad:
    Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Possibly but in fairness it's an absolute impossible task and you will never even have near agreement, for a start the game has evolved beyond recognition in the last 20 years and secondly you are simply not comparing like with like.

Ah stick in that great all rounder and ever dependable Shane Ross at No 1 and the rest will sort themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

Whats Eamonn Fennell doing on the list?

Slattsy wrote: »

Yup. Easily my favourite player ever. And that's saying something when I'm a lot older than the fecker.

corny wrote: »
    Whats Eamonn Fennell doing on the list?

His ma rang the Indo?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Can't believe the timing

Gave us fans some years

Best of luck to him

Ffs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

A truly amazing manager.Quite shocked he's stepping down.Who's his likely successor?Dessie Farrell,Jason Sherlock...

Not sure how much hope it really offers the chasing pack if there is a seamless succession with the depth and quality of the current panel.

That has to be the ultimate Gavin-esque exit!

Jesus I'm in shock!

Best of luck Jim, thanks for everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I did not see that coming.

Absolutely devastated.

Really really did not expect that but there's a plan in place I'm sure for whoever takes over. I hope nothing but the man in charge changes.

Amazing man for everything he has done for Dublin gaa for so many years. I hope he's properly recognised by the gaa as well he deserves it!

I'm gonna assume that means Steven will hang around at least another year now. You couldn't have Bernard Jim and Steven all leave in same season.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Well. That's an unexpected shock to the system!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭mobby

Legend...Hard to believe what it will be like without JG on the sideline..but he is right to go while on top,nothing to prove to anyone. His boots will be hard to fill..

• Advertisement

Greatest of them all. Was half expecting it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement