Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Or Clones. Would have loved to have been there for Monaghan v Kerry last year. I'd say it was savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

For the neutral game? I do, yes.

And for one thing, lets be honest too. These games in Croke Park are absolutely ****e. Half empty, nobody is bothered. No atmosphere, no intensity.

Get them down the country to big provincial grounds, make it a sell out and get a bit of a buzz about it. The best thing about the super 8's so far has been the games around the country. Imagine Dublin v Kerry in Thurles with the winner going through to a semi final. It would be absolutely superb. That's what championship football should be about.

Don't mention Dublin Vs Kerry in Thurles. It took me 10 years before I could watch it back and I was there both times.:eek: But I see your point to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

I hope it isn't shot down. Maybe that's selfish, but as an (admittedly depressed) Mayo fan watching the super 8s last year, i thought the atmosphere in Croker wasn't great. The provincial grounds add to the atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, there's nowhere better than full Croke Park but those double headers make for awful atmospheres but all sets of fans spread out, people arriving late and leaving early. Was the same for the old quarter finals.

2017, heartbreaking and all, was great craic for us. We toured the country. Lots of new venues. Great atmospheres. A real camaraderie among the fans and a real connection between team and supporters - this might seem dramatic but it certainly felt different. The extra times and close calls obviously added to it but the touring round the country was what made it. We thought it was great craic heading to Newbridge last year even though it ended badly for us. And I know lots of Dublin fans would really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The order of games could be an issue, if you win your first two then the third is likely a damp squib. A trip to the other side of the country for a close to meaningless game may not draw too much of a crowd for any county. Especially if the opposition has lost their first two do no one has anything to get from the game.

salmocab wrote: »
    The order of games could be an issue, if you win your first two then the third is likely a damp squib. A trip to the other side of the country for a close to meaningless game may not draw too much of a crowd for any county. Especially if the opposition has lost their first two do no one has anything to get from the game.

This is already the case though. Changing the venue doesn't change the possibility of non competitive games. And people are already travelling across the country. Yes it will have a greater effect if Dublin have a meaningless game in Semple for example. But the possibility exists for a meaningless game for Kerry, Mayo, Galway, Donegal etc in Croke Park. Doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. Because if that last game was to matter, it should be in a neutral venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I meant specifically the point around a venue needing to be in another province to be 'really' neutral. The Clones example. Just don't agree. If Donegal played Dublin in the Super 8's and it was in Breffni for example I don't think anyone could say it wasn't neutral. I'd feel the same if it was in Portlaoise albeit be pissed off about the travel.

I agree with the above in terms of motion 1 being a non-runner. CP is Dublin's Home ground and the focus should have been on the neutral game.

Surely you remember the 2014 controversy when Mayo played in Limerick against Kerry?

Would you fancy a trip to Cork to play Kerry in the neutral Pairc Ui Chaoimh?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Surely you remember the 2014 controversy when Mayo played in Limerick against Kerry?

Part of that controversy was that it was sprung on both teams last minute. There was an available date in Croke Park but it wasn’t given just in case the dublin game went to a replay and they needed Croke Park :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I was at that American football game.

Brutal stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭muddle84

glack wrote: »

Part of that controversy was that it was sprung on both teams last minute. There was an available date in Croke Park but it wasn’t given just in case the dublin game went to a replay and they needed Croke Park :rolleyes:

From what I remember about that game it was largely perceived from the Mayo fan base that it was far too close to Kerry to be a neutral venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Is the wording neutral or a game in Croke Park. I thought it was the latter. Anyway I’d love to see DCB nominate PP as home venue and have tickets available to PP pass holders and season ticket
    holders. I am neither, but to see Spewan lose it on Twitter would be a joy to behold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It wasn't in Croke Park because there was an American colleges games there.

Nothing to do with Dublin. Do carry on ……...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It wasn't in Croke Park because there was an American colleges games there.

Nothing to do with Dublin. Do carry on ……...

Ah now, don't be letting actual facts get in the way.

I'm surprised they forgot (if they forgot) as there was loads of uproar at the time about them playing american football and having concerts, etc during the intercounty season.

muddle84 wrote: »
    From what I remember about that game it was largely perceived from the Mayo fan base that it was far too close to Kerry to be a neutral venue.

That got plenty of airtime in the media and in the moan about everything Facebook groups. But around the county chatting to other fans and how management at the time spoke about it was more issues to do with the fact that it wasn't Croke Park which is what their style of play and game plan was suited to. And that was unexpected. The fact that it had to be moved to accommodate an American football game that should never have been scheduled in the height of championship and the possibility of the Dublin game going to a replay was what really annoyed most. How could the Dublin game possibly be moved if it went to a replay :rolleyes:. (The Mayo/Kerry game could have been played in Croke Park on the Saturday of the hurling final weekend but Croke Park was reserved for the possiblity of the Dublin game needing a replay.)

I'm not saying that to annoy (particularly on this thread!!) but more to clarify the sentiment at the time. It can often feel to those counties outside Dublin that every other team comes second - Dublin can never be put out, or made to travel to somewhere awkward etc. This is obviously not Dublin's fault but the those in Croke Park are forever wanting to cash in on the large attendances even in spite of what is fair. This can be particularly frustrating when Dublins current team does not need any more advantages - they're impossible to beat without any favours!! Newbridge last year was another example of them trying to cash in.

It had fk all to do with Dublin.

What part of this do you not understand? Seriously/

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It had fk all to do with Dublin.

What part of this do you not understand? Seriously/

If you read all of my reply you'll see that I'm not blaming Dublin in any manner. Croke Park refused to play the game on the only available date in Croke Park in case Dublin needed it. HQ at fault obviously but again it was in case it was needed for Dublin. That's what the Ard Chomhairles rationale was at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

If you read all of my reply you'll see that I'm not blaming Dublin in any manner. Croke Park refused to play the game on the only available date in Croke Park in case Dublin needed it. HQ at fault obviously but again it was in case it was needed for Dublin. That's what the Ard Chomhairles rationale was at the time.

That didn't happen though. You've been misinformed/dreamt it/made it up (delete as appropriate).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Man, silly season has started early this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

You’re being deliberately facetious.

Donegal have played Galway twice in Sligo in Championship football. It is a neutral venue for both counties despite being in Connacht.

And the ‘controversy’ issue has been dealt with nicely above. Timing, and tickets were the main gripes.

I for one thought the Gaelic Grounds was an excellent decision and it was one of the highlights of that championship.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Is the wording neutral or a game in Croke Park. I thought it was the latter. Anyway I’d love to see DCB nominate PP as home venue and have tickets available to PP pass holders and season ticket
    holders. I am neither, but to see Spewan lose it on Twitter would be a joy to behold

From what i gathered the wording stated that no team could use Croke Park as their home venue specifically in the Super 8's thus making Croke park the neutral venue on all occasions and forcing Dublin out of their home venue for the home game. I think the Meath delegates spoke out about it as well as Sean Kelly and they were right to. It was very badly worded makes no sense to approach it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I for one thought the Gaelic Grounds was an excellent decision and it was one of the highlights of that championship.

Agreed. The issues with that game arose from the level of officiating.
    The spectacle of the game in limerick was actually very good. It is also a big boost for towns outside of Dublin.
    With CP now paid off, the gaa should do more of this sort of thing and worry less about squeezing every penny they possibly can out of gaa fans.

Agreed. The issues with that game arose from the level of officiating.
    The spectacle of the game in limerick was actually very good. It is also a big boost for towns outside of Dublin.
    With CP now paid off, the gaa should do more of this sort of thing and worry less about squeezing every penny they possibly can out of gaa fans.

That game was only moved because croke park didn't think ahead. It was a disgrace that an all Ireland semi final was in limerick while American football was in hq. You're looking back at what was a brilliant game of ball but when it was announced there was uproar and rightly so. They should never let that happen again not do more of it. It was a f**k up! Anyway it has nothing to do with this thread bar question whether or not a provincial ground could be seen as a home venue for the team from that province.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

muddle84 wrote: »
    That game was only moved because croke park didn't think ahead. It was a disgrace that an all Ireland semi final was in limerick while American football was in hq. You're looking back at what was a brilliant game of ball but when it was announced there was uproar and rightly so. They should never let that happen again not do more of it. It was a f**k up! Anyway it has nothing to do with this thread bar question whether or not a provincial ground could be seen as a home venue for the team from that province.
    Absolutely a pure financial decision and an insult to Gaelic Games. Mayo should have said "Croke Park or nowhere " cost them an All Ireland Final appearance

Sooooooo anywaze n'all.

The Rossies & Laois @ the weekend.

How much we gonna win each game by?

#NowTheresArroganceForYou.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Edgware wrote: »
    Absolutely a pure financial decision and an insult to Gaelic Games. Mayo should have said "Croke Park or nowhere " cost them an All Ireland Final appearance

The same official that was in charge in limerick would have been in charge in cp. So I don't see any validity in that claim.

My point was it was a far better spectacle and had a far better atmosphere than it would have had in cp with the same number of fans etc. So much so that I'd be all for moving one semi out of cp every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The same official that was in charge in limerick would have been in charge in cp. So I don't see any validity in that claim.

My point was it was a far better spectacle and had a far better atmosphere than it would have had in cp with the same number of fans etc. So much so that I'd be all for moving one semi out of cp every year.

Mayo would need some magic to get there again no matter where they would play your movable semi-final. :D

I would agree with you on atmosphere unless Croke Park is nearly full the atmosphere is odd, the thing can be whipped up in the provincial grounds.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hopefully that football team starts.

I'd like that midfield pairing to get a run.

Ultimately it might be a bit soft for championship, but it's interesting, like the halfback line too.

Hopefully that football team starts.

I'd like that midfield pairing to get a run.

Ultimately it might be a bit soft for championship, but it's interesting, like the halfback line too.

• Advertisement

interesting changes in hurlers.

Brennan of Cuala in for Nolan in goal.

Half forward line of Treacy, Suthcliffe and Hetherton. Paul Ryan's first start in right corner. Be interesting to see if he takes all of the frees.

Lads fighting for places now, so Laois be in for a bit of a hiding I would think.

Anyone know what happened to Bill O'Carroll? He'd have been definite starter in full back line for me after club championship.

Injured? Left the panel?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement