Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

In fairness to him I feel that is a more 'but's he's not cluxton' thing.
    I do it myself at times.

When he is spoken of in a Ballymun context the word promising is used a lot.
    I think it is just mindset thing when the fans see him in a Dublin jersey.

To be honest I think it should have been done a few years ago.

Ya I know excatly what ya mean soon as you see Stephens name isn't on the sheet u get bit uneasy!

Sure it will take time I remember when John O Leary finished up everyone taught **** but look who came in eventually!

What is it with Dublin and small goalkeepers though!! Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Gorgeous evening for a game 'innit? Don't think I ever remember being in Croker in February & not being convinced I was gonna freeze me giblets off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Hi lads i don’t have eir sport but would like to watch the game I thought RTE were to simulcast all the eir Saturday games? I don’t see it on their tv schedule. Can it be streamed (legally) or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Gorgeous evening for a game 'innit? Don't think I ever remember being in Croker in February & not being convinced I was gonna freeze me giblets off.

Very nice walk to the stadium anyway. Nice buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Let the hype train carry Mayo & Kerry giddily on into the summer without us. We have bigger fish to fry.

I mean, everyone has bigger fish to fry really. From a mayo point of view, I like that we're taking the league a bit more seriously than we've done in previous years, but also using it as an opportunity to blood new players. I feel like we're pulling off a good balance at the moment. Hope it can continue into the summer, but I still feel our midfield is suspect, especially without Parsons and I'd be concerned about it going into summer.

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    I mean, everyone has bigger fish to fry really. From a mayo point of view, I like that we're taking the league a bit more seriously than we've done in previous years, but also using it as an opportunity to blood new players. I feel like we're pulling off a good balance at the moment. Hope it can continue into the summer, but I still feel our midfield is suspect, especially without Parsons and I'd be concerned about it going into summer.

Dublin are trying to do something that no other county has ever done - win 5 All Ireland titles in a row.

Mayo are just trying not to get hockeyed by Galway in Connaught again

Let's not call a spade a shovel here. ;)

Dublin are trying to win 5 All Ireland titles in a row.

Mayo are just trying not to get hockeyed by Galway again & actually make it to the knock out stages.

Let's not call a spade a shovel here. ;)

Every team is trying to have their best season in the summer, 5 in a row or not.

Yeah & not getting dumped out in the qualifiers would be a good place to start.

Aw man. I missed trash talking with Mayo peeps. The Tyrone & Galway mobs are no where near as much craic or as easy to wind up. ;)

Yeah & not getting dumped out in the qualifiers would be a good place to start.

Aw man. I missed trash talking with Mayo peeps. The Tyrone & Galway mobs are no where near as much craic or as easy to wind up. ;)

It's a bit one sided. I'm not trash talking anyone!

Tough crowd.

• Advertisement

Tough crowd.

I do actually miss the craic! I don't spend much time in Ireland anymore, so you miss the banter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Finishing letting us down bigtime. This game should be wrapped up by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Never say another bad thing about Comerford again! Haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭MFPM

Hope Dublin don't regret the points dropped short and the missed goal chances. Mayo are well off the pace.

Madness we're not ahead by more. Should have 3+ goals on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Alright, so we won in second gear against an extremely poor team, but sweet baby allah how many goals and points did we leave behind tonight. Should have had another 4/5 goals anyway.

Mayo wide count was bad also, so lots to work on.

Costello was unreal, embarrassed his man all night. Comerford was excellent, big improvement on recent games, we all know he has that in locker but good to see it, and great peno save. Cian O'Sullivan looked good and fit, though if i was making AOS i'd probably look half fit myself. Jack very good also, as was Fenton. Looks like Mick Fitz did his hammer though, not cool!

Probably not an awful to take out the game, other than two points on the board and looks like we'll avoid relegation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Very comfortable win in the end,should have ran up a bigger winning margain. Hope Fitzy hasn't done too much damage too his hamstring.He may have got MOTM but Costello frustrates the hell out of me.

Great too also see the Ladies get a win this evening as well. McEvoy had a superb game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭corny

Finishing wasn't great but Hennelly had some game. He needed to. Most of the Mayo backs are well passed it. Higgins was tortured all night.

Great admiration for Cian O'Sullivan. For a man suffering injury problems recently and with no game time he was remarkably fit. Must take some dedication behind the scenes. Lee 'Ricky Hatton' Keegan could take a leaf.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,359 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That injured umpire is made of stronger stuff then that Mayo team.
    They seem to have plenty of lads living on reputation, and other lads who are hyped up because of a dearth of new talent.

How many of that Dublin team even broke sweat it was an embarrassing effort by Mayo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

That injured umpire is made of stronger stuff then that Mayo team.
    They seem to have plenty of lads living on reputation, and other lads who are hyped up because of a dearth of new talent.

How many of that Dublin team even broke sweat it was an embarrassing effort by Mayo.

Considering Dublin as an outsider I’d have to say I think Cluxton, McCarthy, Fenton, Kilkenny and mccaffrey are the only irreplaceable players whose absence significantly weakens Dublin. All the rest are great players but Dublin have the personnel to replace them without much damage to the quality.

How would dubs see it?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't like to see how we'd do without Rock or Cooper either.

I wouldn't like to see how we'd do without Rock or Cooper either.

Dunno, ocallaghan and Costello are fairly good replacements off frees. Would rate mannion higher in open play.

I haven’t seen cooper play well in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

Two observations.

Good win for Dublin

Far less tourists commenting on this thread when they do.

Night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

He played so well against Galway we passed him the ball at every opportunity!

He played so well against Galway we passed him the ball after every opportunity!

Didn’t see that game.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dots1982 wrote:
    How would dubs see it?

I'd have Howard as irreplaceable. Costello could fill in for Rock.

There's nobody to fill in for Cooper IMO.

Mannion would be nailed on for me too

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd have Howard as irreplaceable. Costello could fill in for Rock.

There's nobody to fill in for Cooper IMO.

Mannion would be nailed on for me too

Howard isn’t yet a better player than Connolly for me so I wouldn’t see him as irreplaceable.

Mannion is nailed on but wouldn’t see him as one at the same level as the 5 I mentioned at the start.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dots1982 wrote:
    Mannion is nailed on but wouldn’t see him as one at the same level as the 5 I mentioned at the start.

Now that's different Dots!!? That's a top 5 selection!!

TBH I think you could see Dublin losing a game because Cluxton wasn't playing.

Then there's McCarthy.

I used to think that we needed Rory O Carroll too. So that says it all for me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,359 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Dunno, ocallaghan and Costello are fairly good replacements off frees. Would rate mannion higher in open play.

I haven’t seen cooper play well in a while.

Cooper is the master at playing on the edge of the rules.
    Basically Dublin's Ricey from Tyrone.
    Dublin never used to have a player like him when it came to the crunch, he can do a job on any player.
    I remember when he shut Lynch out when he was flying for Derry in a league final one year.

Off the top of my head I would say Cooper, Cluxton, Fenton, Kilkenny and Jack McCaffery are the top five irreplaceable's in my view. (in that order)
    As they can deliver niche qualities that others in the squad can't match.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Well fair enough, I would have rated cooper highly at one point but think he looks a little under pressure and relying on fouling a lot these days.

Mccaffrey is awesome and the player I would take for my own county above all others. McCarthy, cluxton, Kilkenny and Fenton the ones that I rate as next to him. Everyone else has a player on the bench almost at the same level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement