Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Cooper is the master at playing on the edge of the rules.
    Basically Dublin's Ricey from Tyrone.
    Dublin never used to have a player like him when it came to the crunch, he can do a job on any player.
    I remember when he shut Lynch out when he was flying for Derry in a league final one year.

Off the top of my head I would say Cooper, Cluxton, Fenton, Kilkenny and Jack McCaffery are the top four irreplaceable's in my view. (in that order)
    As they can deliver niche qualities that others in the squad can't match.

You sir, have a career in the diplomatic corps. Couldn't have said it better myself. Delivers certain "niche qualities". Brilliant !

Won't win many Man of the Match awards, won't ever be a media darling, won't ever get a few flashy scores for the craic....but my God, what a warrior. Without him (and Philly pre 2018) we wouldn't have done the 4 in a row. Fact.

(And oh yeah. You can't add btw ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

That second half was awful no body wanted to kick a score or even keep the ball at times.

All the stopping and starting and umpires being knocked out didn't help!

Tell ya I didn't half miss the Cusack nothing but Mayo fans and tourists in the Hogan. Very very quite half one's around me where French I think.

Turning into Old Trafford ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What a poor performance by Mayo. Never seen them as bad as that. No thought, no plan, no forwards.

Surprised to see Costello get Man of the Match as either goalkeeper could have got it. Comerford had his best game for Dublin, saving a penalty, nailing all his kick-outs bar one or two, and catching nearly every high ball in. Yet, that didn't make him the best goalkeeper in the game. Hennelly scored two points, Mayo's best form of attack, made five or six genuinely brilliant saves. He deserved man of the match for being the only resistance put up by Mayo to the Dubs.

For the Dubs, apart from Comerford, I thought Davy Byrne showed why he wanted to be back. Super Mario O'Sullivan had a great game too. Costello was great when he was good, but also frustrated. Con game good in the second half, and Kilkenny, Fenton and Cooper all showed class even in second gear.

Mayo a long long way off from challenging.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Being honest I don't think is was a great show from either team tonight.

Dublin squandered lots of good goal chances, some were good saves, some just poor attempts.

Mayo were very poor, I was expecting a lot more from the game. Costello's performance on Zippy was impressive.

Cian O'Sullivan was moving very well. Looked happy on a big man in the square.

I couldn't understand AOS tonight, why didn't they try to lob it into the square to him.

At one stage in the second half he took a sideline ball and kicked it into a position he should have been in. That stuff annoys me.
    It's like Niall Quinn taking a corner (a simile to annoy BonnieD)

I think some of the older warriors like S O'Sea and our own Paddy Andrews are on their last legs.

I noticed again that we had some free men calling for the ball out the field but the keeper kept going short, wasn't even trying to hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

There was a free or 45 hit by Dublin in second half can't remember every detail of it I've had few drinks since ha.

Jesus it was awful all could do was laugh!!

Hit it right along the ground almost.

Rock took few chances to settle into the game when he came on but God he's so much more relaxed with the set pieces.

Costello seems to put more power into them then anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Henelly redeemed himself anyway. Which is a good sign of a chap.

Might have been 6 - 11 to 0 - 3 if he hadn't been playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

That was awful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Well lads, gonna hitting Parnell park late today probably around two. Is there anywhere I could guarantee a parking space within a 15 minute walk of the pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    That was awful...

Some redeeming factors, I thought Comerford was excellent with his kick outs, quick and accurate, and according to this mornings paper only three failed to hit his target, plus his work under the high ball was great. His best game for Dublin imo.

Cian O Sullivan was tireless last night and proves the old adage, class is permanent. Really enjoyed his work rate plus that of MxCaffrey.

On the other side o the coin however its a pity our forwards left their shooting boots at home. It could have been a rout. Costello was spot on again but is it just me who feels that there are occasions when he tries to do too much. A few times last night he got himself into good positions and instead of the simple layoff he went for glory. If he could just fine tune that aspect of his play I'd be happy.

Overall a good result and looking forward to seeing off another Connacht team next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bonniedog will be having a hernia @ Parnell Pk today. 1-20 to 4-12 for Port Laoirge in the hurling.

Philly and Jonny needed in the stickball defence by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭glack

blanch152 wrote: »
    What a poor performance by Mayo. Never seen them as bad as that. No thought, no plan, no forwards.

Surprised to see Costello get Man of the Match as either goalkeeper could have got it. Comerford had his best game for Dublin, saving a penalty, nailing all his kick-outs bar one or two, and catching nearly every high ball in. Yet, that didn't make him the best goalkeeper in the game. Hennelly scored two points, Mayo's best form of attack, made five or six genuinely brilliant saves. He deserved man of the match for being the only resistance put up by Mayo to the Dubs.

For the Dubs, apart from Comerford, I thought Davy Byrne showed why he wanted to be back. Super Mario O'Sullivan had a great game too. Costello was great when he was good, but also frustrated. Con game good in the second half, and Kilkenny, Fenton and Cooper all showed class even in second gear.

Mayo a long long way off from challenging.

We were beyond useless last night for sure. But you obviously weren't in Castlebar in 2015. Or saw our game against Cork in 2016. Believe it or not, we've actually been worse that we were last night.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Bonniedog will be having a hernia @ Parnell Pk today. 1-20 to 4-12 for Port Laoirge in the hurling.

Philly and Jonny needed in the stickball defence by the looks of things.

Couldn't go!

Jaysus. Following games on twitter is not good for a chap!

Fantastic win by sounds of it. Don't know what happened at end. According to twitter machine O'Connell was sent off and Waterford missed resulting penalty, as far as I can make out.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,361 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Couldn't go!

Jaysus. Following games on twitter is not good for a chap!

Fantastic win by sounds of it. Don't know what happened at end. According to twitter machine O'Connell was sent off and Waterford missed resulting penalty, as far as I can make out.

:)

I was at it was a mental game Watford had pen saved in the last action of the game.
    Dublin badly need to work on defensive drills stood static and let Watford run at them and caused havoc. Lots of sloppy goals.
    Would have been robbery if Dublin lost it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A lot happier with the league tables after this weekend now. Hurlers are into the quarter finals, and the footballers have taken a big step to get back into the final. Still need someone else to beat Mayo, and then have to win the rest of our games ourselves, but it's still a major step. We've got Tyrone in Croke Park, who're the toughest of the teams left, and I think we'll manage them well.

'The Sunday Game' didn't even show a few minutes highlights of the hurling match!
    All we got told was Dublin are moving in the right direction.... (from Tyrell who was not there I am guessing? -going on about the county final instead!)

No mention of the 4 goals conceded and how they did thier best to try and make a balls of it.

That North Korean dictator would not have put the spin on it that TSG did!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Just read this:

"Cian O'Sullivan started the game sporting a suspicious looking moustache in the manner of an adult film actor from the '80s, which was enough for him to surrender the title of Ireland's most handsome footballer permanently. Like his team-mates, he cruised through the game without doing anything dramatic".

Quality from Joe Brolly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

People having digs at Dublin again today after Donegals motion was defeated. McKenna had a piece on it today in Pundit Arena and the idiot didnt even do his research with regard to winning margins but it still goes to print

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

kilns wrote: »
    People having digs at Dublin again today after Donegals motion was defeated. McKenna had a piece on it today in Pundit Arena and the idiot didnt even do his research with regard to winning margins but it still goes to print

Nobody is having digs at Dublin. People are having digs because the system is unfair and once again there is a disconnect between the association / hierarchy.

FWIW, I said on this forum a few weeks ago that they (Donegal) would have been better ensuring the ‘neutral’ game was down the country. That may well have passed.

Nobody is having digs at Dublin. People are having digs because the system is unfair and once again there is a disconnect between the association / hierarchy.

FWIW, I said on this forum a few weeks ago that they (Donegal) would have been better ensuring the ‘neutral’ game was down the country. That may well have passed.

Having Dublin's neutral game elsewhere was the obvious gambit and they didn't take it.

As for the disconnect between the "association/hierarchy" the delegates are democratically elected from club level through county conventions and have a vote on the day.

It is as democratic as any union, political party and ways times more than any other major sporting organisation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Having Dublin's neutral game elsewhere was the obvious gambit and they didn't take it.

As for the disconnect between the "association/hierarchy" the delegates are democratically elected from club level through county conventions and have a vote on the day.

It is as democratic as any union, political party and ways times more than any other major sporting organisation.

I think that most people aren't complaining about Dublin in this case, but the fact that their own delegates continuously vote against their own members wishes. Most people have wanted Dublin to play some of their Leinster games down the country, and their own representatives always voted to keep Dublin in Croke Park, despite all the sound and fury in the newspapers.

I can totally understand their frustration around that, even if playing Dublin in Croke Park is probably the right thing for their county finances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭MFPM

kilns wrote: »

As a Dublin supporter I don't think they should get to play two Super 8 games in CP. De facto CP is Dublin's home ground (rightly or wrongly) and as such CP shouldn't be the neutral venue. As others have stated that's the route Donegal should have gone with their motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

MFPM wrote: »
    As a Dublin supporter I don't think they should get to play two Super 8 games in CP. De facto CP is Dublin's home ground (rightly or wrongly) and as such CP shouldn't be the neutral venue. As others have stated that's the route Donegal should have gone with their motion.

I think that route would have had issues as it would mean Dublin getting a different rule to everyone else. Which would I imagine have come back to bite someone.

salmocab wrote: »
    I think that route would have had issues as it would mean Dublin getting a different rule to everyone else. Which would I imagine have come back to bite someone.

Would Dublin's fans of any of Dublin's opponents be willing to forego all tickets if the match was played in Parnell Park?
    As it would be unfair on Dublin supporters who are obviously the best in the country (arguably the world.)
    Dublin supporters would fill it on thier own.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭glack

Agree completely. Just listened to the GAA hours interview with Sean Kelly and he has a great way of explaining exactly why the motion didn’t pass (skip the first 20 minutes which is basically just a moan fest!!). He basically is saying what has been said here, that the Donegal motion was too negative in its approach and that instead of dealing with Dublin nominating Croke Park as their home venue, the should have changed the rule to say one home, one away and one neutral - currently says one home one away and one Croke park. This would not only be a more realistic approach but would give other counties with small or inadequate venues to nominate Croke Park if they wish - but if they nominate Croke Park for their home game, it can’t be the location of their neutral game. All very logical. He also feels this might yet come in for next near as the Super 8s are due to be reviewed later this year.

Plus I think the counties who brought the motion against Dublin should be levied for the next 20 years. This could be done so they can help Dublin build a badly needed 25k/30k stadium. That would solve the issue if they are so worried about it they would have no problem with a bit of a levy on them for a number of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Plus I think the counties who brought the motion against Dublin should be levied for the next 20 years. This could be done so they can help Dublin build a badly needed 25k/30k stadium. That would solve the issue if they are so worried about it they would have no problem with a bit of a levy on them for a number of decades.

Why would other counties pay for a Dublin stadium? Like Trump stating Mexico will pay for the wall! Build your own fecking stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

glack wrote: »
    should have changed the rule to say one home, one away and one neutral - currently says one home one away and one Croke park. This would not only be a more realistic approach but would give other counties with small or inadequate venues to nominate Croke Park if they wish - but if they nominate Croke Park for their home game, it can’t be the location of their neutral game. All very logical. He also feels this might yet come in for next near as the Super 8s are due to be reviewed later this year.

The problem with that is two teams get the neutral venue and one would miss out on CP entirely so.

Why would other counties pay for a Dublin stadium? Like Trump stating Mexico will pay for the wall! Build your own fecking stadium.

Well other counties should stop moaning then.
    The fact is ANY county can nominate Croke Park as thier home ground.

In effect Dublin have been handicapped for years when they had a weaker side and played championship games in Croke Park.
    Kerry/Tyrone etc used to love it.

When Croke Park was used for Dublin's home games in the league this effectively they were 'homeless'.

Some counties seem to want it everyway - play in Croke Park - but not as Dublin's 'home' ground.

Other counties should show Dublin more respect and stop bringing spiteful motions because without the Dubs gaelic football would be dead.
    And they have the greatest team from any era of Gaelic Football. Moving Dublin out of Croke park will only deprive people of seeing these giants of the game live, trying to make history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Other counties should show Dublin more respect and stop bringing spiteful motions because without the Dubs gaelic football would be dead.
    And they have the greatest team from any era of Gaelic Football. Moving Dublin out of Croke park will only deprive people of seeing these giants of the game live, trying to make history.

I hope most right thinking Dublin fans are embarrassed by this kind of attitude.

To talk to the serious posters; I am against the advantages Dublin have but the donegal motion was rightly voted down as it didn’t take away Dublin’s advantages. The motion is being called “badly worded”, it wasn’t badly worded, it was just bad.

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I hope most right thinking Dublin fans are embarrassed by this kind of attitude.

To talk to the serious posters; I am against the advantages Dublin have but the donegal motion was rightly voted down as it didn’t take away Dublin’s advantages. The motion is being called “badly worded”, it wasn’t badly worded, it was just bad.

In your view 'Right thinking' / 'Serious Poster'= just those that agree with you? :D

The facts are:
    Many people want to see the Dubs - especially in the Super 8s.
    The Dubs have a great team.
    The Dubs are a money spinner.
    The money gets put back into other counties.

Thankfully the 'right thinking people' in congress have the cop on to know this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement