Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

In your view 'Right thinking' / 'Serious Poster'= just those that agree with you? :D

The facts are:
    Many people want to see the Dubs - especially in the Super 8s.
    The Dubs have a great team.
    The Dubs are a money spinner.
    The money gets put back into other counties.

Thankfully the 'right thinking people' in congress have the cop on to know this.

Please stop embarrassing your county.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Please stop embarrassing your county.

Is that is what you are resorting to now 'off the ball' stuff?
    Back on topic.

Congress were right and are looking at the big picture and voted as such - in a large majority as well.
    End of.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Is that is what you are resorting to now 'off the ball' stuff?
    Back on topic.

Congress were right and are looking at the big picture and voted as such - in a large majority as well.
    End of.

Who are you arguing this with? No one here including non dubs has said the motion should have been carried.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

When I heard Donegal were going ahead with this I agreed with it as I thought that it would be the sensible selection.

I didn't think they'd approach it the way they did.

Home , away netural but all in different counties etc was the route to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Gael85

Saturday was Dublin 40th league win under Jim Gavin in 56 games.

Games Won Draw Lost Goals Points Total Goals Points Total
    Jim Gavin Championship 2019 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    League 2019 4 2 0 2 5 54 69 3 45 54
    Championship 2018 8 8 0 0 17 169 220 6 105 123
    League 2018 8 6 1 1 8 125 149 5 98 113
    Championship 2017 6 6 0 0 10 124 154 2 73 79
    League 2017 8 4 3 1 7 125 146 4 92 104
    Championship 2016 7 6 1 0 8 122 146 6 84 102
    League 2016 9 9 0 0 11 127 160 4 99 111
    Championship 2015 7 6 1 0 18 118 172 4 83 95
    League 2015 9 6 1 2 8 131 155 4 101 113
    Championship 2014 5 4 0 1 9 105 132 5 63 78
    League 2014 9 6 1 2 14 138 180 11 117 150
    Championship 2013 6 6 0 0 13 99 138 5 71 86
    League 2013 9 7 1 1 10 139 169 5 106 121
    95 76 9 10 138 1576 1990 64 1137 1329

Championship Championship 2019 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Championship 2018 8 8 0 0 17 169 220 6 105 123
    Championship 2017 6 6 0 0 10 124 154 2 73 79
    Championship 2016 7 6 1 0 8 122 146 6 84 102
    Championship 2015 7 6 1 0 18 118 172 4 83 95
    Championship 2014 5 4 0 1 9 105 132 5 63 78
    Championship 2013 6 6 0 0 13 99 138 5 71 86
    39 36 2 1 75 737 962 28 479 563

League League 2019 4 2 0 2 5 54 69 3 45 54
    League 2018 8 6 1 1 8 125 149 5 98 113
    League 2017 8 4 3 1 7 125 146 4 92 104
    League 2016 9 9 0 0 11 127 160 4 99 111
    League 2015 9 6 1 2 8 131 155 4 101 113
    League 2014 9 6 1 2 14 138 180 11 117 150
    League 2013 9 7 1 1 10 139 169 5 106 121
    56 40 7 9 63 839 1028 36 658 766

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

Watching the highlights of the hurling... The Waterford player pulled O'Connell to the ground and the ref on the halfway line gives the penalty.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

corny wrote: »
    Watching the highlights of the hurling... The Waterford player pulled O'Connell to the ground and the ref on the halfway line gives the penalty.:confused:

Would seem so. According to someone who was there, O'Connell was sent off for pointing out to the umpire his general all round uselessness in unparliamentary North Kerry language :)

Rushie's first really good game at full forward. If he starts well, that's him flying for the rest.

Kenny looked well pleased. A few good games against 1A teams in play offs would be nice prep for the Summer.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Who are you arguing this with? No one here including non dubs has said the motion should have been carried.

I am arguing that these yahoo's from Donegal cannot even have the sense to put forward a decent motion, also they do not see that the financial realities of the GAA that Dublin and the Dublin support base are the financial foundation of the GAA.

The real solution is that Dublin get a 25k/30k stadium built but money is wasted on the likes of Pairc Ui Choimh instead.

It is much more difficult for Dublin to build a new stadium because of the price of property and land etc.

The DCB should be helped by the GAA to get a 25k/30k stadium built as a priority.

That to me is the real nub of the issue.
    Then the Croke Park whinging would stop.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Would seem so. According to someone who was there, O'Connell was sent off for pointing out to the umpire his general all round uselessness in unparliamentary North Kerry language :)

Rushie's first really good game at full forward. If he starts well, that's him flying for the rest.

Kenny looked well pleased. A few good games against 1A teams in play offs would be nice prep for the Summer.

Did Kenny say anything about the defending?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Why would other counties pay for a Dublin stadium? Like Trump stating Mexico will pay for the wall! Build your own fecking stadium.

Or we could just play in a big stadium that just happens to be in the county? Just a suggestion is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Did Kenny say anything about the defending?

No! Did mention the great save by Nolan but discreetly drew a veil over the 4 that were let in and the several other chances. Bennetts are deadly in fairness in front of goal and have great understanding, but from highlights Dublin seemed all over the place for three of the goals and the one miraculously saved by Smyth.

Full backs have been solid up until now (O'Carroll seems gone, wonder is he injured?) and while bringing O'Connell back to possibly curb Bennett might have seemed a good plan he was not comfortable there by all accounts. Never seen him play other than midfield or half forwards with Cuala or Dublin.

They have good foundation, especially when you consider that David Treacy, Ryan, Keaney (touch wood) have to come back and has good options in other positions. I like the way he is using Whitley who seems to thrive off the bench. Thought his confidence was a bit down after the way county championship ended for Crokes. Daly had him all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I am arguing that these yahoo's from Donegal cannot even have the sense to put forward a decent motion, also they do not see that the financial realities of the GAA that Dublin and the Dublin support base are the financial foundation of the GAA.

The real solution is that Dublin get a 25k/30k stadium built but money is wasted on the likes of Pairc Ui Choimh instead.

It is much more difficult for Dublin to build a new stadium because of the price of property and land etc.

The DCB should be helped by the GAA to get a 25k/30k stadium built as a priority.

That to me is the real nub of the issue.
    Then the Croke Park whinging would stop.

Have you read the motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

EICVD wrote:
    Or we could just play in a big stadium that just happens to be in the county? Just a suggestion is all

EICVD wrote:

I agree. Not sure who you're arguing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

EICVD wrote: »

You might reiterate that to your city buddy - gormdubhgorm. He's on some wicked power trip here thinking that Dublin GAA is the centre of the universe. That we don't show enough respect, that we all want to see Dublin footie team, that maybe we should bow to Johnny Cooper if we pass him on Grafton Street.
    And now he wants the GAA headquarters to sponsor Dublin another stadium - ignoring the whole fiasco about the amount of funding that Dublin get already.
    Couldn't make it up. The real truth is that other counties don't go to games looking forward to seeing Dublin play, we do want to see Dublin getting beat (primarily due to the type of egos that have crept in like gormdubhgorms). It's human nature to want to see a constant winner get knocked off it's pedestal.
    Except of course those that support that team. But don't be expecting that other counties need to "show respect".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Stoner wrote: »
    When I heard Donegal were going ahead with this I agreed with it as I thought that it would be the sensible selection.

I didn't think they'd approach it the way they did.

Home , away netural but all in different counties etc was the route to go.

The agenda was nakedly to get at Dublin.

If the motion was purely to have the neutral match in the Super 8s at a neutral venue, then it would have had a chance of getting through. However, to be truly neutral, then the venue would have to be a different province than either of the participants. For example, Clones would not be a neutral venue for Kerry v Donegal or Tyrone, and would not be seen as neutral by Kerry supporters.

blanch152 wrote: »

If the motion was purely to have the neutral match in the Super 8s at a neutral venue, then it would have had a chance of getting through. However, to be truly neutral, then the venue would have to be a different province than either of the participants. For example, Clones would not be a neutral venue for Kerry v Donegal or Tyrone, and would not be seen as neutral by Kerry supporters.

Nonsense.

Have you read the motion?

No I heard it.

blanch152 wrote: »

That is a very good point there are plenty of occasions where counties from the south give out about the use of Clones as a neutral venue for Ulster teams.
    Portlaoise is normally the compromise more central etc.
    Also the same argument is used against refs sometimes with counties saying it should not be an Ulster ref for Ulster teams, for example.

The motion is designed to get a Dublin in the pretence of a level playing field.
    There would be none of this worry if it was a Dublin football team of the 00s vintage.
    The rule changes to football are also another tactic to try and counter Dublin's dominance.
    Again dressed up for the 'good of football.'

The real problem is that no other county bar Kerry seems to be getting thier act together properly.
    This Dublin team would be able to win a game of Gaelic football on the moon they would adapt and go through the 'process'.

I just hope that those who are all for an effectively homeless Dublin to be further hindered by having a smaller amount fans, get tickets to the game themselves.
    There are still many die hard Dublin fans who do not have a season ticket/parnell park ticket.

And now he wants the GAA headquarters to sponsor Dublin another stadium - ignoring the whole fiasco about the amount of funding that Dublin get already.
    Couldn't make it up. The real truth is that other counties don't go to games looking forward to seeing Dublin play, we do want to see Dublin getting beat (primarily due to the type of egos that have crept in like gormdubhgorms). It's human nature to want to see a constant winner get knocked off it's pedestal.
    Except of course those that support that team. But don't be expecting that other counties need to "show respect".

That's not true there are plenty of neutrals who enjoy watching the Dubs.
    Also regarding the funding Dublin need it to stave off competition from other sports in the city Soccer/Rugby also to develop vast areas in Dublin where there is no GAA presence.
    Be honest without Dublin the GAA would be f**ked financially.
    It is nothing to do with ego just fact.
    People are getting to see arguably the greatest gaelic football team play in an era where can adapt to ANY tactic, play a lot more games then any other era and STILL keep going.
    Other counties should show Dublin respect and cop themselves on.
    The Dublin squad are decent lads who work hard. If another team was doing what Dublin were doing there would not be all these off the field tactics to try and derail thier success.
    When Dublin were the laughing stock in GAA circles all hype no end product loads used to love it. No problem playing in Croke Park then!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Nonsense.

Why is it nonsense Nidge?

If the motion was passed wouldn't Dublin have ended up playing

One game in CP
    One game in Parnell Park
    One game away

(Still two home games just hits the fans who can't fit into PP and still an advantage to Dublin)

Where as it should have been option 2

One game at home (CP)
    One game away
    One game neutral

Am I wrong? The annoying bit was making Parnell Park the home game and turning away supporters?

Option 2 would be my preference. It would level things up.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    No! Did mention the great save by Nolan but discreetly drew a veil over the 4 that were let in and the several other chances. Bennetts are deadly in fairness in front of goal and have great understanding, but from highlights Dublin seemed all over the place for three of the goals and the one miraculously saved by Smyth.

Full backs have been solid up until now (O'Carroll seems gone, wonder is he injured?) and while bringing O'Connell back to possibly curb Bennett might have seemed a good plan he was not comfortable there by all accounts. Never seen him play other than midfield or half forwards with Cuala or Dublin.

They have good foundation, especially when you consider that David Treacy, Ryan, Keaney (touch wood) have to come back and has good options in other positions. I like the way he is using Whitley who seems to thrive off the bench. Thought his confidence was a bit down after the way county championship ended for Crokes. Daly had him all over the shop.

What has me worried is those four goals were conceded in a tight Parnell pitch, what is going to happen in Croke Park/Semple etc!? :eek:

One game in CP
    One game in Parnell Park
    One game away

(Still two home games just hits the fans who can't fit into PP and still an advantage to Dublin)

One game at home (CP)
    One game away
    One game neutral

Am I wrong? The annoying bit was making Parnell Park the home game and turning away supporters?

Option 2 is basically what Sean Kelly said as well.

I suppose that is the lesser of two evils as regards people getting to watch the game - Portlaoise most likely?.
    But again it says to me that Dublin are in dire need of a 25k/35k stadium it would end the problem of a soulless Croke Park during league games and the Super 8 problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I suppose that is the lesser of two evils as regards people getting to watch the game - Portlaoise most likely?.
    But again it says to me that Dublin are in dire need of a 25k/35k stadium it would end the problem of a soulless Croke Park during league games and the Super 8 problem.

Wasn't that supposed to be the plan for the Spawell site?

I suppose that is the lesser of two evils as regards people getting to watch the game - Portlaoise most likely?. But again it says to me that Dublin are in dire need of a 25k/35k stadium it would end the problem of a soulless Croke Park during league games and the Super 8 problem.

I don't think it's the lesser of two evils at all.

Option one gives the competition no improvement on the situation, it just means some supporters miss games.

All the Dunlin PP and Season ticket holders would be fine

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Wasn't that supposed to be the plan for the Spawell site?

Yeah, but the plans were scrapped as a centre of excellence was planned instead and any crowd over 10k would be able to go to CP anyway.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/dublin-gaa-scrap-plans-spawell-13523171

However, with the Super8 thing now it looks like the DCB should think again about it.

I don't think it's the lesser of two evils at all.

Option one gives the competition no improvement on the situation, it just means some supporters miss games.

All the Dunlin PP and Season ticket holders would be fine

Yeah but not all regular Dublin supporters have a season ticket/PP pass.

I listened to Wooly Parkinson on GAA hour his argument was he does not give a f**k about fans the GAA is about players.

I think he is wrong on this as some of the fans will be the players of the future, the fans fund the organisation - even the sunshine supporters.
    Without the funding there would no stadiums, infrastructure for the players etc.
    So I think the fans should be catered for and it should be kept in CP - until a 25k-35k stadium is built at least.

One game in CP
    One game in Parnell Park
    One game away

One game at home (CP)
    One game away
    One game neutral

I meant specifically the point around a venue needing to be in another province to be 'really' neutral. The Clones example. Just don't agree. If Donegal played Dublin in the Super 8's and it was in Breffni for example I don't think anyone could say it wasn't neutral. I'd feel the same if it was in Portlaoise albeit be pissed off about the travel.

I agree with the above in terms of motion 1 being a non-runner. CP is Dublin's Home ground and the focus should have been on the neutral game.

It's getting a bit hysterical I think with people getting irate about 'Donegal Yahoos' and then losing the run of themselves about what Dublin contribute financially. The motion was worded such that it quite literally related to ONE game. It was amateurishly drafted but it was an honest effort and far from an attack on Dublin.

I think everyone of sound mind can agree that Dublin should not play 2 games in CP in the super 8's.

When Dublin were the laughing stock in GAA circles all hype no end product loads used to love it. No problem playing in Croke Park then!

Croke Park wasn't their home game then and the super 8 concept (which is what this whole thing is about) didn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

I think everyone of sound mind can agree that Dublin should not play 2 games in CP in the super 8's.

We can but to take it further does anyone actually believe Congress will agree to take them out of there?

Even if the wording is perfect next time its gonna be shot down.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    We can but to take it further does anyone actually believe Congress will agree to take them out of there?

Even if the wording is perfect next time its gonna be shot down.

For the neutral game? I do, yes.

And for one thing, lets be honest too. These games in Croke Park are absolutely ****e. Half empty, nobody is bothered. No atmosphere, no intensity.

Get them down the country to big provincial grounds, make it a sell out and get a bit of a buzz about it. The best thing about the super 8's so far has been the games around the country. Imagine Dublin v Kerry in Thurles with the winner going through to a semi final. It would be absolutely superb. That's what championship football should be about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement