Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I wouldn't isolate it just to a bad defensive display.
    We had less possession and where turn overs happened was all over the pitch. In possession some times the build up was overly slow and ponderous and then on numerous occasions a sudden decision was made to deliver a really bad direct ball in. Which Kerry won. Unfamiliar lack of fluidity to the attack. Maybe bad conditions and Kerry's good work rate and defending contributed. Dublin can and will do a lot better in their attacking play.

I would have liked to have seen Flatman play again.

On the plus side - Gavin is going to be a tremendous player.

Could do with a good feed of stew and stout tbh. But looks smart on the ball. Intelligence is where we trump teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

Slattsy wrote: »
    Could do with a good feed of stew

Coddle surely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Coddle surely.

With loads of lentils for protein......................

:pac:

CatInABox wrote: »
    With loads of lentils for protein......................

:pac:

Yer opening a whole can of worems there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

STB. wrote: »
    Must be terrible to have to keep explaining that in the GAA fora.

But it's hardly surprising with type shítetalk. Careful you don't scuff the sides of the forum with your bike shoes on the way out Lance.

Well done, you can search post history. You're wrong on this though. Think that's called playing the poster and not the post. And if you can only resort to childish heckling, you're not worth engaging with.

I played and supported for a long, long time. Enjoyed the success for some years but went cold on them mostly down to a particular players whom I couldn't support being allowed play for both their on and off pitch behaviour. But that's another matter and not worth any more debate.

You don't think it was a yellow, fair enough, but you're wrong and the referee was exactly right in that instance. Missed thing for both sides through, but his linesman called him for this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Slattsy wrote: »
    Yer opening a whole can of worems there!

All part of the plan Slattsy, you think anyone outside of Dublin is going to be interested in a 20 page argument over the making of a coddle? It'll chase them out of here faster than anything else.

CatInABox wrote: »
    All part of the plan Slattsy, you think anyone outside of Dublin is going to be interested in a 20 page argument over the making of a coddle? It'll chase them out of here faster than anything else.

I think you underestimate their level of obsession tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Think Kerry are the masters now and will beat Dublin this year. There wont be a 5 in a row this year I say. Times have changed and there is a new team on the horizon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

Amprodude wrote: »
    Think Kerry are the masters now and will beat Dublin this year. There wont be a 5 in a row this year I say. Times have changed and there is a new team on the horizon.

Do we proclaim them winners now or should we even proceed with the formality of a Championship at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Coddle surely.

Ahem ...reporting for duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Well done, you can search post history. You're wrong on this though. Think that's called playing the poster and not the post. And if you can only resort to childish heckling, you're not worth engaging with.

I didn't ask you to quote me telling me "I'm a Dub thank you very much". I don't even know why you felt the need to tell me. So don't play the victim. Sometimes its not all about you.

Just in case you are in any doubt, you may be from Dublin, but your'e no fan. I went easy on you by taking the least incendiary post you have made about "thuggish" Dublin GAA. The majority are negative.

I got your post the first time that you disagreed with me about Fitzi's second yellow. It became monotonous after that.

Back on topic. Think Gavin should use the opportunity to get some game time into some of the new lads. Darren Gavin looks very useful,

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Haven't you got a failing pitch and a possible relegation to Division 3 to worry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Haven't you got a failing pitch and a possible relegation to Division 3 to worry about?

:D
    Good game tonight. Nice to see a bit of bite so early in the year. Hopefully Kerry can put it up to Dublin this year. Someone has to. Ye must be getting bored at this stage! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

munster87 wrote: »
    Good game tonight. Nice to see a bit of bite so early in the year. Hopefully Kerry can put it up to Dublin this year. Someone has to. Ye must be getting bored at this stage! ;)

I'm no Dub! :D:P Just an interested Kerry man tackling certain repeat offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The width of an upright and Kerry are AI champs.
    I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Poor form from Dublin after the whistle - no humility.

Haha & all the likes, even when we’re beaten you still come being bitter, pathetic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Dublin play a game on national broadcaster and posters post! Someone call Joe Duffy!

Funnily enough we play on the national broadcaster quite a lot, win the majority of the time, winning a trophy for our efforts but people don’t post, why the sudden interest?.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

Good game for our fringe lads. Good to see Comerford,Lowndes,Costello and Darren Gavin get a tough game and show their credentials. Conceded a lot of unessary frees but showed great heart in last 10 minutes and lucky to lose by 1 in which kerry dominated . No medals won in February and good to see the desire in Dublin lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

EICVD wrote: »
    Funnily enough we play on the national broadcaster quite a lot, win the majority of the time, winning a trophy for our efforts but people don’t post, why the sudden interest?.......

It was on the front page for whole and someone had the temerity to claim that the ref was cheating with the red card.

That sort of bs deserves to be called out.

Dublin will be fine, and will still be heavy favourites. Finding another gear with 14 on the pith is something few other teams can do

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

A very enjoyable game.

We should have lost by more really. I was surprised at how little ball Tommy Walsh got following an instant impact.

Thought it was an ok job marking Geaney. I thought there were more goals in Kerry, probably lucky enough here.

Dublin backs lost many battles. On the plus side I think the Kerry cornerbacks look like they can be brushed aside too. Although Sherwood played better than I've seen.

I'd have liked to have won the game but I didn't really think we would and there's plenty to learn from this defeat.

Cooper needs to play in the corner IMO, leave there. He is too light for centre back, or wherever he ended up tonight, maybe he's the new sweeper but Dublin lack defenders that can stick to their men. I've heard more than once that the boss sees him at no 6 eventually, but I'm not convinced.

Kilkenny will probably play like a defender this year again having come out of himself last year. He is effective in this space.

I'd say it was an enjoyable game for everyone else. The Kerry machine will be motoring now, no harm really, I genuinely believe that although the fans might get nervy, the team will not.

I was happy with Gavin again, like Howard he doesn't seem to make many mistakes.

Overall we need a midfield to stand up for itself or at least be fortified by the half-forward line. McCarthy is needed for defensive duty.

There's only so much we can read into tonights result. Defensively we have a familiar issue. I suspect McCarthy and MDMA will be needed later on in and around the box. I didn't see much defending from Mannion tonight, again these are all the patchwork solutions to an old problem.

Obviously there's is an issue with Comerford getting distance on his kicks, this needs to be addressed, I'm sure it is as you can't operate at this level without that, he kicked it further at U21. It must be a confidence issue.

Paddy Andrews needs a big game, maybe it will come against Mayo.

Finally I would have loved to have seen EOG this week and last. I think he would have made a significant impact tonight as I don't think kerry have anyone from 2 to 7 who could manage him if he came on as an impact sub for 15 minutes (mush the same as the Tommy Walsh up the other end) I think he'd have helped work out 2 or 3 scores tonight possibly a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

munster87 wrote: »

I like to get bored after the five in a row... :D

But yeah you are right Dublin badly need a rival who can go at them without any fear.
    It would be great for neutrals but worrying for the five in a row dreamers!

I am already worried, I was worried before this game, I hope I won't get 'worried-er' in the months ahead :eek:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Stoner wrote: »

Finally I would have loved to have seen EOG this week and last. I think he would have made a significant impact tonight as I don't think kerry have anyone from 2 to 7 who could manage him if he came on as an impact sub for 15 minutes (mush the same as the Tommy Walsh up the other end) I think he'd have helped work out 2 or 3 scores tonight possibly a goal.

And possibly got sent off with a straight red for losing the head as usual.

His time is up with the Dubs I think and rightly so.
    Too much of a liability.

Jack Hazley from Slys is going to be the new EOG type player (a big lump)
    The difference is will at least have some discipline on the pitch.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Maybe.

I'm not sure though, good under a high ball but I don't think he'll make the cut this year. Can he collect a ball into his chest like EOG?

I would agree with a lot of what you say but EOG is that player now and the same last year. I made the same criticism of kerry and Tommy Walsh.

There's a game for that type of player. No point leaving them warming the bench.

On Hazley, serious work needed on his mobility IMO, hopefully it's achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Not really. Cork football is spaghetti to watch anyway and we have a 5 year plan to get excited about. The field is hosting the 2019 ploughing championships so a few days of entertainment for the cuchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Tell us more

Heard reports of crowd schmozzles, was thIs it or just some harmless “Banter”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Not really. Cork football is spaghetti to watch anyway and we have a 5 year plan to get excited about. The field is hosting the 2019 ploughing championships so a few days of entertainment for the cuchies.

Why were Dublin players fighting after the game? Champions or Losers? When you fight you have lost the battle have they told you that? The cracks are appearing for Dublin. Kerry are top now.

Are you really that blinkered?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Are you really that blinkered?

The force is strong in Ampro... Sometimes you just have to sit back and smile

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

We are in the aftermath of another epic encounter in the ongoing ferocious rivalry between the two linchpins of gaelic football.

A rivalry based on friendship and mutual respect.

A contest that should be celebrated irrespective of the result.A contest that will serve as an appetiser for what hopefully will be an interesting championship as all the pretenders attempt to stop an unprecedented 5 in a row.

In the absence of up close and personal eye witness evidence as to whom instigated or exacerbated the post match fraca no further posts with accusations of a lack of magnanimity in triumph or graciousness in defeat will be tolerated.

Please keep posts civil.

Reported posts and a few others will be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

seligehgit wrote: »

A rivalry based on friendship and mutual respect.

Just how drunk were you when you typed that?

Friendship with Kerry my arse !

(Please don't ban me. ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Just how drunk were you when you typed that?

Friendship with Kerry my arse !

(Please don't ban me. ;) )

Well it was friendly until we became good again...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement