Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

munster87 wrote: »
    Live on rte player

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dublin v Kerry 2011 just kicked off now on Eir 1.

blanch152 wrote: »
    The only rational reason to change the county structure is to improve competition.

If that is the aim, then combining counties had to be on the table as well as splitting them. It shouldn't only be Dublin players and Dublin supporters who should have to give up their dreams.

Football could line up like this:

Ulster: Derry/Antrim; Down; Armagh; Donegal; Fermanagh/Tyrone; Cavan/Monaghan.

Connacht: Sligo/Leitrim; Galway; Mayo; Roscommon

Munster: Kerry North; Kerry South; Cork; Limerick/Clare; Tipperary/Waterford

Leinster: Louth/Meath; Longford/Westmeath; Laois/Offaly; Carlow/Kildare/Kilkenny; Wexford/Wicklow; Dublin North; Dublin South

22 counties instead of 32.

The biggest domination in football is Kerry's success in Munster, followed by Dublin's in Leinster. Making football competitive (in the light of the minor five-in-a-row) means you have to split both of them. Other counties, who have never had success should be merged.

A different set-up would be required for hurling.

Cavan/Monaghan??? The mutual dislike is intense between these two. Better chance of Celtic and Rangers merging into Glasgow Utd.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I know this goes slightly OTT at times but it's uplifting to see Roy Curtis offer some counter balance to the begrudgery

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I know this goes slightly OTT at times but it's uplifting to see Roy Curtis offer some counter balance to the begrudgery

He's normally a bitter oul sh1tehawk. But i enjoyed that. Danke.

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »

The figures on inter county team spending is interesting and should be thrown back in face of anyone who keeps blathering on about "financial doping."

Fair enough, Mayo in particular and Cork have higher travel costs and Cork are like ourselves competitive across all sports and at all grades, but there is no real disparity among the top senior football teams. Kerry's inter county football spend is also high and hurling is way down the pecking order. Not sure what Tyrone or Donegal spend but again they are one sport counties.

Real difference is where the money goes in overall terms. Dublin and Cork with Galway catching up are possibly only counties which can honestly say that they are investing from grassroots up across all sports rather than concentrating on the marquee team(s). Kildare are only county in Leinster that is making an effort to improve standards rather than engage in serial whinging. And they are trying to develop hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/dublin-are-role-models-for-irish-life-867608.html

“Mark my words, kiddo, we’re gonna win five in a row.”

David Hickey, April 2013

"“In the 1970s when we were going well, they got rid of the handpass because they wanted to reduce a strength of our team. They didn’t do the same to anybody else.

“So now I would tell anyone thinking like that now to **** off. Nobody spoke of splitting Barcelona, Real Madrid or Manchester United when they have been successful.”

Great interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,413 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Cavan/Monaghan??? The mutual dislike is intense between these two. Better chance of Celtic and Rangers merging into Glasgow Utd.......

That would be part of the fun though

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I wouldn't mind merging with Wickla...Powerscourt, Enniskerry, dodgems in Bray, picnics on Sugarloaf, the Guinness lakes, the sand dunes in Brittas Bay, buying Xmas trees up the Sally Gap, all the great restaurants and bijou country house hotels, yummy Wicklow lamb fer me dinner, Avoca, Glendalough...what's not to love? Well, apart from the 2 Happy Pear muppets, those 2 eegits can feck right off. But apart from them, it's the best county in Ireland, after Dublin. Can we not just annex it or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind merging with Wickla...Powerscourt, Enniskerry, dodgems in Bray, picnics on Sugarloaf, the Guinness lakes, the sand dunes in Brittas Bay, buying Xmas trees up the Sally Gap, all the great restaurants and bijou country house hotels, yummy Wicklow lamb fer me dinner, Avoca, Glendalough...what's not to love? Well, apart from the 2 Happy Pear muppets, those 2 eegits can feck right off. But apart from them, it's the best county in Ireland, after Dublin. Can we not just annex it or something?
    If Pat reads that post he'll end up going to A&E due to a priapism.

• Advertisement

Why? Is he a fan of the overpriced, feelgood Greystones Granola that costs $500 per ounce and makes you $hit marshmallows sprinkled with fairy dust?

Jeez, you'd never tell from his face on The Sunday Game !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

grbear wrote: »
    If Pat reads that post he'll end up going to A&E due to a priapism.
    Why? Is he a fan of the overpriced, feelgood Greystones Granola that costs $500 per ounce and makes you $hit marshmallows sprinkled with fairy dust?

Jeez, you'd never tell from his face on The Sunday Game !

I'm guessing grbear is alluding to our bandalero south of sally gap PatWW .. I had to google priapism .. I wont spoil it ;)

Oh sorry. I presumed he was referring to The One and Only Pat.

Humble apologies to our compadre south of the border.

Disclaimer in my defense - the mothers grandfathers people are from the Wickla/Dublin border area around Shankill/Little Bray, so it's all the one really, in my head.

Didn't realise that Johnny Magee's daughter was the Dublin wimmin's player.

Looking forward to that game on Sunday. They are expecting upwards of 50,000 which would be some achievement. Which would be one of largest attendances for any sporting event here this year other than the men's AI semi finals and finals. Have to hand it to the LGFA, their marketing is brilliant and they do fantastic work in promoting the game and attendances among the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭muddle84

Bonniedog wrote: »

Looking forward to that game on Sunday. They are expecting upwards of 50,000 which would be some achievement. Which would be one of largest attendances for any sporting event here this year other than the men's AI semi finals and finals. Have to hand it to the LGFA, their marketing is brilliant and they do fantastic work in promoting the game and attendances among the kids.

Lidl doing a great job there too.

blanch152 wrote: »
    The only rational reason to change the county structure is to improve competition.

If that is the aim, then combining counties had to be on the table as well as splitting them. It shouldn't only be Dublin players and Dublin supporters who should have to give up their dreams.

Football could line up like this:

Ulster: Derry/Antrim; Down; Armagh; Donegal; Fermanagh/Tyrone; Cavan/Monaghan.

Connacht: Sligo/Leitrim; Galway; Mayo; Roscommon

Munster: Kerry North; Kerry South; Cork; Limerick/Clare; Tipperary/Waterford

Leinster: Louth/Meath; Longford/Westmeath; Laois/Offaly; Carlow/Kildare/Kilkenny; Wexford/Wicklow; Dublin North; Dublin South

22 counties instead of 32.

The biggest domination in football is Kerry's success in Munster, followed by Dublin's in Leinster. Making football competitive (in the light of the minor five-in-a-row) means you have to split both of them. Other counties, who have never had success should be merged.

A different set-up would be required for hurling.

I went further and made 16 teams gave them new names and everything:

1 )Dublin North = (Dublin Vikings)
    2) Dublin South = (Poddle Panthers)
    3) Kildare = (Christy's Shovels)
    4) Mayo = (Cora's Champions)
    5) East Kerry (Play 'right's')
    6) West Kerry (Ding-Dang's)
    7) Wicklow Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow, = (Sunshine Gaels)
    8) Laois Ofally Westmeath, Longford = (Midland Marauders)
    9) Meath Cavan Louth = (Breffnis)
    10) Cork, Waterford, Tipp, Limerick (Boru's)
    11) Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon (Yeat's Stealer's)
    12) Clare, Galway (Claregalway)
    13) Monaghan Armagh (Farney's Orchard)
    14) Fermanagh, Donegal (Conaill-Ernesiders)
    15) Derry, Antrim, Down (Dad's Army)
    16) Tyrone (Hand on Harte's)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Now that was funny!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

You've too much time on your hands!!

Very good :D

The Poddle Panthers?

Brilliant !

:D:D:D

What about Dublin City - The Coddle Cats?

The Poddle Panthers?

Brilliant !

I like that one alright, needs a logo:
    TYB8thu.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

The Poddle Panthers?

Brilliant !

15 lads lined up with no pitch to go to. Having said that what clubs would feed Dublin City, Liffey Gaels, Clan Na Gael & Park Rangers? So The Gael Rangers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Lads the dates for next years final are they going be the same as this year or will they revert back to the 3rd weekend in September, Just want to get the holiday request in nice and early and make sure the aul lad doesn't book a holiday the weekend of the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lads the dates for next years final are they going be the same as this year or will they revert back to the 3rd weekend in September, Just want to get the holiday request in nice and early and make sure the aul lad doesn't book a holiday the weekend of the final.

Think it’s to be last Sunday in August. That’s what it was to be this year but the popes visit pushed it out a week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Small unlucky not to get an all star nomination?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Footballer of the year is definitely from Dublin then :)

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1039755489469325312

It's between Howard and Clifford here really

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1039755738086875138

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

C__MC wrote: »
    Small unlucky not to get an all star nomination?

Not really, his two red cards this year would have stopped any chance of a nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Not sure how Con got nominated, thought he had a quiet enough year (does a lot of off the ball work though) compared to last year.

Howard surely YPOTY and Kilkenny nailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Bonniedog wrote: »

Open session on Friday evening at St Clares was a fantastic event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

coolisin wrote: »
    Not really, his two red cards this year would have stopped any chance of a nod.

Didn't stop Lee Keegan getting POTY after black card in an all ireland final which contributed to their defeat ;)

• Advertisement

Kilkenny and McCaffrey were outstanding, but I would see Fenton as having been equally if not more important. Midfield has been crucial this year and he was key to the winning blitz against Tyrone.

I would imagine, having said that, that he would swap it for Raheny beating Crokes in Inisfáils on Friday!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement