Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He is the Gay O'Driscoll of this team. Ruthlessly efficient and gets very little of the limelight. Hard to believe he has been mainstay of the defence since 2011.
    This game be perfect for him.

Definitely feel he is overshadowed by "Household" names. I'm not taking away from others in the backs. I always feel a little more comfortable when Mick is under a high ball. He cleans his own half backs as well as full forwards should they back into his area of play.

He'd of got into O See, McCarthy and O Sullivan of 06. That Kerry full back line. He does what he needs to do with considerable ease

He is the Gay O'Driscoll of this team. Ruthlessly efficient and gets very little of the limelight. Hard to believe he has been mainstay of the defence since 2011.
    This game be perfect for him.

Definitely feel he is overshadowed by "Household" names. I'm not taking away from others in the backs. I always feel a little more comfortable when Mick is under a high ball. He cleans his own half backs as well as full forwards should they back into his area of play.

He'd of got into O See, McCarthy and O Sullivan of 06. That Kerry full back line. He does what he needs to do with considerable ease

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Have always taken the Monday off after the AIF regardless of who was in it. New calendar has scuppered that now for me.

New job means my Mondays off are few and far between. Le sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Have always taken the Monday off after the AIF regardless of who was in it. New calendar has scuppered that now for me.

New job means my Mondays off are few and far between. Le sigh.

I've had to cancel my lunch plans tomorrow as I've to go into Dorset St to collect me ticket.

First world problems, eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Slattsy wrote: »
    Did anyone read the Jim McGuinness' article on Dublin the other day... ?
    The word deluded comes to mind. I can only assume he's on medication, because he seems to have completely forgotten how he had his teams 'playing' football.

Anyway, its worth a read to brighten up your Monday morning, its comical.

His remedy (more defenders) is just bonkers but you don't always hear commentators talk about the psychology in games. I like that stuff and i think its very relevant to any conversation about Dublin. Lee Keegan hasn't shut up about it all summer on RTE.

Playing the blanket defence used to mean you held all the aces. It was up to the other team to come attack and when you stopped them (with frequency) the crowd would go up and the counter attack would be full of verve etc. It provided huge momentum shifts for teams. No longer it seems. Dublin just won't give you that opportunity anymore. Its nearly got the stage where either the ball is kicked dead or its recycled back to the 45. Thems the options. Coughing it up for a counter attack just doesn't seem to happen and its crushing for the opposition.

It must have been insanely frustrating for the Donegal players a couple of months ago for example. Told to sit back but not used to a team not playing on their terms. You get the sense Dublin just rubbed it in the last few minutes too. Sit back if you like but you're wasting your own time. They've wrested the control back from every team playing the blanket defence and its a template thats sure to be copied.

If Tyrone are concentrating on 'stopping Dublin' then they've already lost. 3 sweepers, 4 sweepers, 10 across the 45.....Dublin will still control the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Basically McGuinness thinks that in the spirit of fair play Dublin should boot the ball into the 15 opposition players inside their own 45 who will then proceed to pass it around among themselves until Dublin sportingly launch themselves forward in an attempt to retrieve the ball.

Brolly's response was suitably derisive. I like Brolly's proposal to have three seven foot backs standing on the cross bar to stop long range points just in case other parts of the plan do not work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Cant remember such a low profile build up to an AI final. Maybe Cork vs Down in 2010 is comparable. I'd almost think it wont sell out (yes I know it will, but it feels that way). Its a real pity Tyrone wont engage with RTE, which doesnt help - if heaven forbid they did win and then there was no Michael Lyster at the team hotel, that would be a real break from tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Cant remember such a low profile build up to an AI final. Maybe Cork vs Down in 2010 is comparable. I'd almost think it wont sell out (yes I know it will, but it feels that way). Its a real pity Tyrone wont engage with RTE, which doesnt help - if heaven forbid they did win and then there was no Michael Lyster at the team hotel, that would be a real break from tradition.

Flags and bunting starting to appear around here, but certainly nothing like excitement of other years.

Speaking of fandom, do any of you older chaps recall the group of Dublin supporters who used to position themselves in upper Cusack at Canal End in mid 70s? It was like a surreal alternative Hill. They wore sombreros and capes and sang Una Paloma Blanca to accompaniment of bells!

My Da used to bring us to Hogan for league games and they were a most curious sight across the way. I think they may even have stood up on the seats. Possibly they regarded themselves as more sophisticated than the denizens of the Hill, and had obviously been among the first wave of Spanish holidaymakers!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Plenty of flags around my way, same as usual tbf, but certainly not the same sense of anticipation or excitement. That probably comes with playing Tyrone though, with whom we've no big rivalry or tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Slattsy wrote: »
    This time next week I'll either be waking up with a hangover or waking up with a hangover.

Hope you all have Monday booked off work.

I just reported this post....taught I was in reply. Lol! I hope you don't get banned Slattsy. Specially when taking the Monday off is such a great idea. Sorry about that!! I'm a numptie, shouldn't be posting on my phone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    I just reported this post....taught I was in reply. Lol! I hope you don't get banned Slattsy. Specially when taking the Monday off is such a great idea. Sorry about that!! I'm a numptie, shouldn't be posting on my phone!!

He probably deserves it tbf

He probably deserves it tbf

I'm an Angel.

Ken Tucky wrote: »

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Slatts banned .. too good an opportunity to pass up on my stats count .. been atrocious lately on that front .. :D

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Slatts banned .. too good an opportunity to pass up on my stats count .. been atrocious lately on that front .. :D

And you've had ample opportunity!

Flags and bunting starting to appear around here, but certainly nothing like excitement of other years.

Speaking of fandom, do any of you older chaps recall the group of Dublin supporters who used to position themselves in upper Cusack at Canal End in mid 70s? It was like a surreal alternative Hill. They wore sombreros and capes and sang Una Paloma Blanca to accompaniment of bells!

My Da used to bring us to Hogan for league games and they were a most curious sight across the way. I think they may even have stood up on the seats. Possibly they regarded themselves as more sophisticated than the denizens of the Hill, and had obviously been among the first wave of Spanish holidaymakers!

They probably bought the sombreos in Hector Grey and only knew Una Paloma Blanca from Top of The Pops, just like the rest of us. :p

Mayo County Board....farking 'ell lads ! :eek:

Hope Clucko's speech on Sunday thanks them, the Limerick hurlers, Mickey Harte, Mickey Harte's favourite RTE production team, Cora Staunton, all the lovely Kerry people who wrote all those lovely letters to Eamon Fitzmaurice....oh and and not forgetting Himself in the blue Skoda, for taking so much attention off us this week. Deadly so it is !

I'd have fancied my chances with the Spanish inquisition ahead of Mayo CB :D

Why?

What have you been up to? ;)

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Why?

What have you been up to? ;)

Nothing why? I was at home all night .. I don't remember, I want a lawyer ..

• Advertisement

Ze weather forecast for ze weekend looks good. Dublin always better with the sun on our backs. It's science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Anyone else go to that brekkie in the Gibson, this morning with Bastick, John O' Leary and Owen Mulligan. Darragh Maloney host.

Was decent enough and free grub...

Anyone else go to that brekkie in the Gibson, this morning with Bastick, John O' Leary and Owen Mulligan. Darragh Maloney host.

Was decent enough and free grub...

What was ir dicey

Just got the ticket from PP there now. Finally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

What was ir dicey

Just kind of a preview of the All Ireland and a Q and A.

Gave away 2 signed Dublin Jerseys and 2 training tops.

Mossy Quinn organised it..

Just got the ticket from PP there now. Finally

What's the queue like?, Gonna head in later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Was it a charity event? I didn't see any publicity.

What's the deconstructed coddle in the Gibson like?

Just kind of a preview of the All Ireland and a Q and A.

Gave away 2 signed Dublin Jerseys and 2 training tops.

Mossy Quinn organised it..

Oh heard of it passing. Was it good yaa?

DoctaDee wrote: »
    What's the queue like?, Gonna head in later

Not bad mate. I didnt trust the "please dont que before the ticket office opens" line that was spun. So I went in and there was only 20 odd of us.

• Advertisement

Not bad mate. I didnt trust the "please dont que before the ticket office opens" line that was spun. So I went in and there was only 20 odd of us.

Grand ta, I lack the same sense of urgency since I went back to the terrace ticket - tho there's still the nagging doubt I'll get a nally - used to really annoy me that after spending the bulk of the summer in the lower Cusack, finals threw you up in the gods - 2015 we were nearer the north strand than the pitch :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement