Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill Your Babies - PS2 Edition 1.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd liken it to Mother/Earthbound. Critically acclaimed worldwide now.
    But it wasn't anyones "Baby" cause we weren't talking about it in the schoolyard as kids.
    The Japanese kids can make their own iconic thread

Well I'd rank games on how good they are not on how popular they are or iconic. That's not a barometer for quality.

Still that's the point of this thread. People have different reasons for excluding games even this one feels like a massive steel girder through the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Good is subjective. Just look at Vice City...one of the first games killed along with Metal Gear 3.

Each Kill your Babies is different, and a different list depending on the OP.

In this case, Potential Monke, and as he stated in the original post.
    He didn't even choose HIS favourite games, he did it by sales.
    Now, i've approached this one slightly differently. Rather than go through lists of Top X and picking the games, i've decided to go by Sales. So my list has been taken from the best selling PS2 games (in no particular order).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Gran Turismo 3
    Tekken 5
    God of War 2
    Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
    Ratchet and Clank
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
    Lego Star Wars
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Ico
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series
    Okami
    Timesplitters 2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Onimusha: Warlords
    Yakuza
    Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
    Burnout 3: Takedown
    Soulcalibur II
    Silent Hill 2

The Persona series was not a big iconic series here in the western world when the PS2 was in it's hayday. It's dead.

Lego star wars has to go, a fun little game but its time has come to drop off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Gran Turismo 3
    Tekken 5
    God of War 2
    Ratchet and Clank
    Lego Star Wars
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Ico
    Okami
    Timesplitters 2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Yakuza
    Soulcalibur II
    Silent Hill 2

Gonna Kill Onimusha: Warlords. Not a bad game, but the quality that's left far outweigh it. Plus, i probably didn't get into it as much as others could have, so there's that.

Oh it's getting close now. It's at the stage where i genuinely don't want to kill much else, even now it was hard to choose. Should be an interesting finish! @johnnycivic: There probably are better racing games out there, but i never came anywhere close to the enjoyment out of any other racing game on the PS2 as i did with Takedown! Amazing game, honestly thought it would closer to the end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Gran Turismo 3
    Tekken 5
    God of War 2
    Ratchet and Clank
    Lego Star Wars
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Ico
    Okami
    Timesplitters 2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Yakuza
    Soulcalibur II
    Silent Hill 2

Gonna Kill Onimusha: Warlords. Not a bad game, but the quality that's left far outweigh it. Plus, i probably didn't get into it as much as others could have, so there's that.

Oh it's getting close now. It's at the stage where i genuinely don't want to kill much else, even now it was hard to choose. Should be an interesting finish! @johnnycivic: There probably are better racing games out there, but i never came anywhere close to the enjoyment out of any other racing game on the PS2 as i did with Takedown! Amazing game, honestly thought it would closer to the end.

Dont get me wrong, takedown is a good game but to me shouldn't be in the top 10 of this list thats all :)
    I am currently split on 2 games to kill and I know one of them will be controversial :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Gran Turismo 3
    Tekken 5
    God of War 2
    Ratchet and Clank
    Lego Star Wars
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Ico
    Okami
    Timesplitters 2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Yakuza
    Soulcalibur II
    Silent Hill 2

Speaking of "Enjoyment".... F**k Gran Turismo
    There, I said it, yes, it's a game, but it was zero craic.
    And all that getting your license stuff was nonsense and it wasn't much fun, at least as not as the NFS genre.
    Operative word being "Fun", not realistic simulator etc.
    Buying and selling cars and the graphics blew me away in the 1st GT game, but the latter entrys, i was just bored of it

Gran Turismo 3
    Tekken 5
    God of War 2
    Ratchet and Clank
    Lego Star Wars
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Ico
    Okami
    Timesplitters 2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Yakuza
    Soulcalibur II
    Silent Hill 2

And all that getting your license stuff was nonsense and it wasn't much fun, at least as not as the NFS genre.
    Buying and selling cars and the graphics blew me away in the 1st GT game, but the latter entrys, i was just bored of it

"Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King" is a complete slog. There are hours of walking around drab country side engaging in drab random battles sometimes interspersed with advancements of a plot. Everything that is wrong with JRPG's is contained within this highly regarded game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm playing it at the moment on 3DS. I adore it. I accept the fact its not for everyonr but i still think you're a monster.

Tekken 5
    God of War 2
    Ratchet and Clank
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Ico
    Okami
    Timesplitters 2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Yakuza
    Soulcalibur II
    Silent Hill 2

Tidied up list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Tekken 5 God of War 2 Ratchet and Clank Need for Speed: Most Wanted Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 Shadow of the Colossus Ico Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Okami Timesplitters 2 Beyond Good and Evil Psychonauts Yakuza Hitman 2: Silent Assassin Soulcalibur II Silent Hill 2

Goodbye Need for Speed.

Boring bland polished derivative EA ****e.

• Advertisement

To be fair, I preferred the ones where you could play Cops and Robbers on the PS3, Hot Pursuit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

YES

I don't think Need for Speed was ever great until Criterion made a game in the series... yes I'm still bitter about Burnout 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The lack of cheap cars to start, and the low prizes for the winnable races. I was so sick of the Puegeot 206...

Tekken 5
    God of War 2
    Ratchet and Clank
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Ico
    Okami
    Timesplitters 2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Yakuza
    Soulcalibur II
    Silent Hill 2

I'm gonna kill Tekken 5. Honestly, out of what's left, it doesn't deserve to be there. Good game, but can't stand up to the amazingness of the rest of the list. On the plus side, i'm not going to be too angry when one of the remaining win. All great games!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Tekken 5
    God of War 2
    Ratchet and Clank
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Ico
    Okami
    Timesplitters 2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Yakuza
    Soulcalibur II
    Silent Hill 2

God of War 2. Great game but the Zeus boss battle at the end left me shaking in rage and cost me a controller. Specifically the QTE bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

God of War 2
    Ratchet and Clank
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Ico
    Okami
    Timesplitters 2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Yakuza
    Soulcalibur II
    Silent Hill 2

I'm doing it. Ico is gone. Boring boring boring game with bad platform gameplay. Didn't like it when it came out and its even worse now.

fixxxer wrote: »
    I'm doing it. Ico is gone. Boring boring boring game with bad platform gameplay. Didn't like it when it came out and its even worse now.

Oh no you didn't :eek:

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Oh no you didn't :eek:

I would have done it ages ago but didn't play it for long enough to allow me do so.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I would have done it ages ago but didn't play it for long enough to allow me do so.

I didnt see a time played requirment in the rules so you should have :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

MGS Snake Eater, loved the previous two in the series but this killed it for me. Must have started it five times and gave up after 5 minutes every time.

dont-understand-a-word-your-saying.gif

Kills MSG3
    Gets Criticised
    ????????
    Learns lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

God of War 2
    Ratchet and Clank
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Okami
    Timesplitters 2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Yakuza
    Soulcalibur II
    Silent Hill 2

Just because I want to see the world burn :D

Shadow of the Colossus

:eek::eek::eek:

I haven't played a Lot of the games I killed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Wasn't GT3 the one where the other cars had an auto catch-up system so that no matter what car you were in, no matter how fast you were going, as soon as you made the tiniest mistake the whole field would blast past you? Also, small prizes made progressing to the better cars take hours and hours of repetitive gameplay? I really like the Gran Turismo games, but this one was a pain.

God of War 2
    Ratchet and Clank
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Okami
    Timesplitters 2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Yakuza
    Soulcalibur II
    Silent Hill 2

Everyone to the nuke bunker quick :eek:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've been itching to kill Shadow of the Collusus and Ico since the start of the thread, glad it wasn't me though :D

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've been itching to kill Shadow of the Collusus and Ico since the start of the thread, glad it wasn't me though :D

Well SotC was going to be my next one, I just couldnt get into the game at all when I got it. If a remake appears I will give it one last try :)

• Advertisement

God of War 2
    Ratchet and Clank
    Okami
    Timesplitters 2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Psychonauts
    Yakuza
    Soulcalibur II
    Silent Hill 2

Hitman has been taken out from distance..... Not a fan of the hitman games at all, gave them a bash but they just werent my type of game.

So now I have 3 games on the list left that I would be very upset if they got killed.

Advertisement