Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer 2017 - Tax, Audit & Compliance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Densey12

Shredda23 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. I am placed between 10-20 on the panel. Hopefully positions in the Northwest will open up so we can all get placed. Do you know If you can apply for the 2018 competition when it opens up even though you are on the 2017 panel? I presume so but it seems like as we have already completed the interview process that they would not waste resources completing interviews again for the same people.

As far as I know you apply again, if you have not been placed and go through the interview process again. From talking to people in the waiting room before my interview, they had placed in the previous years panels, and placed high but a suitable location did not arise for them and so they were going through the process again!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shredda23

Oh really! Good to know. Thanks for the info. I must request feedback on my interview and write down the questions that I can remember them asking me in the interview incase I get a chance to get interviewed again next year. Hopefully we will all get placed though this year. :)

Oh really! Good to know. Thanks for the info. I must request feedback on my interview and write down the questions that I can remember them asking me in the interview incase I get a chance to get interviewed again next year. Hopefully we will all get placed though this year. :)

Do definitly! I found the hand writing hard to make out regarding the interview questions, when I got my feedback. But it definitly jogs the memory as to what you were asked! Best to have all that prep done now because next year is along way off, to have to remember it. Even tho you placed so high I dont think there would be any fear of you going for interview again! But I hope you dont have to go through it all over again!
    I also met Revenue staff who were interviewing the same day as me for promotions and their advice was to apply and apply again it will eventually come right and it is a position that is worth the wait! And they said there will be a big recruitment drive going on in the next few years due to the recruitment embargo and people now retiring, there will be more jobs!! It was nice to hear their views!
    I was lucky enough to get an offer and accept it. It would not be my first choice of location but it is a reasonable enough commute!
    It is such a long process tho! We would be totally in the dark only for this thread!!! Best of Luck! :)

Thanks for the information and congratulations on getting a position! Hopefully we can join you on the team in the future. If you ever hear anymore information about an open panel please let us know. Best of luck in the new role!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Harry2015

Densey12 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me what the training programme consists of?
    What level of accreditation is it?

I am due to start in January and cant seem to find out much information on the training?
    I am a part qualified accountant and I am wondering will the training be intense and should I park my accountancy exams for the time being( few months)?
    Also I am completing the green cert at present and would I have too much on my plate to sit and accountancy exam in March or June?

I started last Jan in Revenue in the same role. There are two training options. One is a diploma in taxation run by UL which is aimed at people with very little tax or accounting knowledge. The other option is an ITI diploma for people with accounting and tax knowledge. The UL diploma consists of two years part time training and is very intensive with exams and assignments. The ITI diploma consists of about 10 days training and 3 assignment. Revenue makes the decision what training you need. Based on your qualifcations you will be doing the ITI diploma so you will still have loads of time to do your accountacy exams. Revenue also have a refund scheme where if you do you accountacy and pass them they will refund you the cost of them and will pay your annual subscription. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Shredda23 I will for sure keep you all posted :)
    Many thanks Harry2015 that definitely helps and all sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Galwaygirl64

Can anyone explain the 2 pay rates for me? One is personal pension contribution and the other one is non-personal pension contribution, but I can't find any straight answer as to what I will be paid,
    I am not currently in the civil/public service
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Can anyone explain the 2 pay rates for me? One is personal pension contribution and the other one is non-personal pension contribution, but I can't find any straight answer as to what I will be paid, I am not currently in the civil/public service Thanks

New entrants go on the first you mentioned because they've different pension entitlements basically. It's always the slightly higher one cos I think the pension deduction is a bit higher than the non contribution one!

Thanks a mill. I couldn't figure it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

I heard they are into 120's now and that only Kerry & Dublin being offered. Cork must be full.

A question about the references etc stage as im close to getting a call hopefully. Is it just a standard 2 references + copies of qualifications? Do they need proof in writing of all jobs listed on our app forms? And also how long do they give you to get the info and docs returned to them. I'm eager to get as much sorted as possible to have it ready as ill be heading on 2 weeks hols shortly.

• Advertisement

TheHopeful wrote: »
    I heard they are into 120's now and that only Kerry & Dublin being offered. Cork must be full.

A question about the references etc stage as im close to getting a call hopefully. Is it just a standard 2 references + copies of qualifications? Do they need proof in writing of all jobs listed on our app forms? And also how long do they give you to get the info and docs returned to them. I'm eager to get as much sorted as possible to have it ready as ill be heading on 2 weeks hols shortly.

This is what they require:

A formal offer of employment will issue to you shortly following verification of your
    eligibility for the position. In this regard, we now require the following within the
    next 5 working days:
     Two references in total from previous and present employers and your consent to contact both referees
     Original qualification certificates
     Proof of identity – Birth Certificate (Original)
     Proof of citizenship if your country of birth is not shown on your Birth
    Certificate
     Completion of health and character declaration
     Completion of Garda Vetting Form (PDF attached)

Just to summarize:

Its original qualifications they need, not copies ( I got caught with this one). They post it back to you immediately.
    You have five days to get it back to them!
    No need of proof of all previous jobs!
    No need of written references - I just sent the names, details and phone numbers of my references.
    Also just to note they wish to speak to present employer! ( I gave them two previous references). But I have confirmed with them that once I hand in my notice that I will provide them with the details of my present employer and they can contact them then!

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks Densey.

TheHopeful wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks Densey.

No problem! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rog32

Have heard very mixed reports about the EO position after speaking with some people. The general view is that it is a very stressful job with very tough targets to meet on a continuous basis similar to a sales type role so it would not suit somebody who is expecting something different. The high turnover of staff in the role is also a bad sign and a very big risk to take if one is moving jobs to take up the position as you could be going from the frying pan into the fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 James1988

This post has been deleted.

Spoke with work colleagues that worked as EO in audit with Revenue and moved on quickly as did many others who commenced training with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 James1988

This post has been deleted.

Sorry I didn't mean to scare, just passing on the reality of the job that might not suit people and help them from making a mistake in changing jobs.

This is really interesting to hear. Do you know If there is much overtime in the role? I currently work up approx. 100 hrs in the year as unpaid O.T. in the company I work for now and wanted a change due to the stress of the job. But If this role is as stressful and time consuming maybe I might not be suited for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neilie22

This is really interesting to hear. Do you know If there is much overtime in the role? I currently work up approx. 100 hrs in the year as unpaid O.T. in the company I work for now and wanted a change due to the stress of the job. But If this role is as stressful and time consuming maybe I might not be suited for it.

I presume that you with be able to build up hours for flexi-leave in the EO role which could lead to extra days of annual leave. I would also have clocked up plenty of extra hours in my previous job - so I'm hoping for the flexi leave to be an option if I get one of these roles.

Some details here: http://hr.per.gov.ie/family-friendly-policies/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

There generally isn't much overtime in Revenue - in the traditional sense. But the flexi time will be great. Hopefully there will be peaks and troughs so that you can take the time off when it's more quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

There's no overtime as an EO auditor in Revenue. I have to say I'm shocked at what the poster above said about it being too stressful / pressurised for people, particularly if these are people who are/were capable of holding down a job in practice / industry, where time is money.

It's no cushy number, and the work and workload should be challenging, but it's a role that is a great opportunity to carve out a career in tax for someone who has a bit of get up and go.

I have met several people who've come in from the previous versions of this competition and they generally are enjoying their jobs... maybe it's different in Dublin, and the people they are able to recruit up there for EO money, aren't of the same calibre / experience level as what they're recruiting down the country...

Spoke with four people and they said the job is very stressful and pressurised in offices outside of Dublin with unrealistic targets to meet, no flexi-time is allowed during training.

That is so subjective. To me, the benefits of the Civil Service outweigh any stresses or perceived stresses.

My opinion is that an EO role in Audit is more stressful or challenging than the role in other Departments or in customer service. So maybe those getting promoted or transferring into the role find it more difficult.

In my experience, those joining the service from private sector or practice find it is the best move they've made. The stress is certainly much less than what I found in private sector for sure.

The work life balance, the working hours, flexi time, job security, increments and promotion or transfer opportunities make it for me.

It's a challenging role as tax is a complex area. If tax is an area you enjoy or have experience in, then I would not let the 'stress' of it put anyone off.

(I joined as an AO three years ago and am HEO now. In Audit in a regional district.)

Only passing on experience of people who did the job and didn't like it for the stress, pressure and targets involved which they didn't expect at all coming from the private sector and they are much happier back in the private sector with lots more opportunities for career progression, promotion and salary increases along with better use of their tax knowledge.

It probably comes down to the individual if suitable or not but knowing what's involved in the role is important to know so that a fully informed decision can be made.

I just think the negative points are being made a lot more than the positive points. I think you've posted a few times about how tough it is so I just wanted to add balance to that. I know your intention isn't to scare people off.

I will definitely agree that the work is challenging and, in some cases, the candidates filling this role these days (being highly qualified) are underpaid for the role.

Definitely comes down to the individual. But an individual applying for a specific role in Revenue generally has experience in tax and/or an aptitude for it. In my experience, with my work colleagues and those I have met across our region, all have positive things to say about the move in comparison to practice.

I think Dublin may be different just because of the pay compared with practice. Regionally, EOs don't seem to be leaving, I think that's specific to Dublin. Again, I reckon that's because of the pay versus the calibre of people being recruited. A lot would take a severe cut I would suspect. And perhaps the pay versus stress isn't worth it, considering the salary they could get in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Rog32 wrote: »
    Spoke with four people and they said the job is very stressful and pressurised in offices outside of Dublin with unrealistic targets to meet, no flexi-time is allowed during training.

No job is for everyone.

I'm starting to wonder what your agenda is in coming on this thread... did you apply for this job, or have you direct experience of the job? Which regional office(s) did these people work in and leave?

I've worked in practice, I've worked in Revenue audit, I've got staff reporting to me who have come through this competition, they enjoy the job and ain't going anywhere in a hurry (except maybe on promotion)... relative to practice the pressure is not at all similar.

Some people might not be suited to the sometimes adversarial nature of the job, but surely they should be self aware enough to know that's what the job entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

No job is for everyone.

I'm starting to wonder what your agenda is in coming on this thread... did you apply for this job, or have you direct experience of the job? Which regional office(s) did these people work in and leave?

I've worked in practice, I've worked in Revenue audit, I've got staff reporting to me who have come through this competition, they enjoy the job and ain't going anywhere in a hurry (except maybe on promotion)... relative to practice the pressure is not at all similar.

Some people might not be suited to the sometimes adversarial nature of the job, but surely they should be self aware enough to know that's what the job entails.

I thought that myself earlier, for all we know they could be lower on the order of merit and are trying to scare off the competition.
    Or maybe they genuinely were told this and are trying to help people make an informed decision.

Lesson here is to take what strangers on the internet say with a pinch of salt, especially those that have no posting history.

Do anyone have any idea of how long Garda Vetting takes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

May I ask what was the last number contacted on this panel would anyone know?

110 was it? I think, as i recall from an earlier post?!

Advertisement