Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer 2017 - Tax, Audit & Compliance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eoc2207kei

Was anybody actually told how many positions were going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Gutted didn’t make it.

Is it worth getting the feedback? I requested it out of interest but I can’t see myself going through the process again next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dragonflyblue

Well done to all who got placed and hard lick to those who didn't. I worked really hard for this interview so disappointed but them's the breaks I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eoc2207kei

je551e wrote: »
    Gutted didn’t make it.

Is it worth getting the feedback? I requested it out of interest but I can’t see myself going through the process again next time round.

I did this last year and didn't even get called for an interview and was placed below 20 this year. If this is what you want , there will be a huge amount of further competitions in the next couple of years. That interview was one of the toughest I have done and that experience will be no doubt a huge asset to you going forward. It's a huge amount of luck in these things and I know that because I have friends working in this area that sometimes didn't get in until their third attempt. Don't be discouraged and enjoy the weekend. So don't give up. your day will come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Harry2015

Well done everyone. I was just wondering if any of ye are looking for posts in Wexford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭monkeylover10

Eoc2207kei wrote: »
    I did this last year and didn't even get called for an interview and was placed below 20 this year. If this is what you want , there will be a huge amount of further competitions in the next couple of years. That interview was one of the toughest I have done and that experience will be no doubt a huge asset to you going forward. It's a huge amount of luck in these things and I know that because I have friends working in this area that sometimes didn't get in until their third attempt. Don't be discouraged and enjoy the weekend. So don't give up. your day will come!

Yes I agree 100% with what you just said. Congratulations on where you were placed, you have it in the bag.!!

It was a tough interview but it was worth it for the experience alone. Obviously its a bonus if you make the panel also. When I got home after the interview I wrote down everything that I should have said at it cos I was certain I would be applying again (and still could be) I got placed on the panel but very high so not really expecting to get a call. BUT I will apply again and will know what to expect next time and will be more focused. I was tunnel visioned this time and only wanted to answer questions based on the competencies and wasn't focused on the other stuff they were asking me.
    So certainly anyone who didn't make the panel, do not be discouraged. This opportunity will come again soon and you will be better prepared. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason and when the time is right you will be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

If you hadn't applied someone else would be on the panel that isn't currently on it. A person of your book smarts should be well able to appreciate that fact. If there was another 20-30 of you it'd be a serious waste of a lot of resources.

Well done on your placing.

I worked in recruiting for the public sector for many years. We didn't limit the panel to x number of candidates. People were either successful at interview or they weren't. We never said "we're only putting 60 on a panel". Also with respect to those called for interview, my shortlisting didn't exclude someone else from attending. There is eligibility criteria and either you fit it or you don't. If there is a pool of 50 eligible candidates or a pool of 450 eligible candidates, under the Public services recruitment act, eligible candidates are entitled to an interview.

I applied for this job in may and I did think I wouldn't mind being off site but after consideration over the summer I decided that wasn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pdawg092

Harry2015 wrote: »
    Well done everyone. I was just wondering if any of ye are looking for posts in Wexford?

I am, but highly doubt il be getting placed judging from where I got on the panel. Did you hear if there were many posts in Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Densey12

Does anybody know will we be contacted now about our preferred regions or how does this work?

I am going to request feedback too I think to see where I fell. It seems that there were differences in the interviews too as from speaking to a few others who were interviewed and from stuff on here some of the interviews were based mainly around competency but others with a lot of emphasis on audit and code of practice. Probably gets the same info from us at end of day and may have been dependent on what was on the app forms but I would like to see where my strengths and weaknesses lay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

ANYONE know how or when we will be allowed to specify our preferred location. I'm bordering 4 counties, so if they categorize me by my address it will be terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

I am going to request feedback too I think to see where I fell. It seems that there were differences in the interviews too as from speaking to a few others who were interviewed and from stuff on here some of the interviews were based mainly around competency but others with a lot of emphasis on audit and code of practice. Probably gets the same info from us at end of day and may have been dependent on what was on the app forms but I would like to see where my strengths and weaknesses lay.

Yeah I sent an email asking for feedback as would like to see the same - where i fell down etc,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

Tipp/Limerick

pdawg092 wrote: »
    I am, but highly doubt il be getting placed judging from where I got on the panel. Did you hear if there were many posts in Wexford?

I am not sure. I am currently doing the job in a different location but want to get back to Wexford. The majority of the panel will go to Dublin. For the past few years the started batches of 20 in larger offices. Im not sure what way they will do it in the smaller offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neilie22

I asked about the next steps and about picking locations. Was advise that they will be calling a batch for training in January. If they don’t reach your ranked place, you will remain on panel for one year. At the time of offer, you can query the location.

Surely it would make more sense to get some idea of location preferences now to break out the list into groups?

Guys, I'm worried that they may all be dublin jobs? I know that there is extensive training at a Dublin based college or University if Limerick and I think you can do most of that online with some of it classroom attendance.

It's really bad to be kept in the dark. I'm starting a new job next Tuesday that is a 3 month contract. It'd be nice to be able to plan for the future I.e will this job be viable if offered a place. Alas, in true Irish style, I'm out of line for wanting answers or expecting high quality information. It's "fall in line and feel lucky to be considered". This recruitment was massively expensive, yet from the sounds of things, many candidates won't be able to accept an offer.

Board.surf wrote: »
    Guys, I'm worried that they may all be dublin jobs? I know that there is extensive training at a Dublin based college or University if Limerick and I think you can do most of that online with some of it classroom attendance.

It's really bad to be kept in the dark. I'm starting a new job next Tuesday that is a 3 month contract. It'd be nice to be able to plan for the future I.e will this job be viable if offered a place. Alas, in true Irish style, I'm out of line for wanting answers or expecting high quality information. It's "fall in line and feel lucky to be considered". This recruitment was massively expensive, yet from the sounds of things, many candidates won't be able to accept an offer.

Last Jan they start 20 in 4 locations (Dublin, Limerick, Kilkenny and Cork) they the then they started another 20 in Dublin in sept. The training is very intense. Im started in Kilkenny this Jan but I am looking to move to a different location. The training is delivered by Revenue Training branch at each location and you never have to go to UL.

Last Jan they start 20 in 4 locations (Dublin, Limerick, Kilkenny and Cork) they the then they started another 20 in Dublin in sept. The training is very intense. Im started in Kilkenny this Jan but I am looking to move to a different location.

Thanks for that.
    Do you know if they are taking on another batch in Kilkenny again in January or would it be a case that other regions will get the new batches this year?

Thanks for that.
    Do you know if they are taking on another batch in Kilkenny again in January or would it be a case that other regions will get the new batches this year?

No not Kilkenny this year. Nobody inside knows notting about locations.

No not Kilkenny this year. Nobody inside knows notting about locations.

Thanks for the information. I'm trying to piece it together. Kilkenny would have been the only one of the 4 you listed where I could work. If it's only Limerick, Cork or Dublin, it's either relocate to Cork or Limerick, or commute 2 hours to revenue in Dublin. I'm not sure who could live in Dublin on the salary offered, unless they were single with no kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Thanks for the information. Kilkenny would have been the only one of the 4 you listed where I could work. If it's only Limerick, Cork or Dublin, it's either relocate to Cork or Limerick, or commute 2 hours to revenue in Dublin. I'm not sure who could live in Dublin on the salary offered, unless they were single with no kids.

I'm married with no kids and I definitely couldn't afford to live on that salary, even combined with my husbands salary. It's a pity the salary is poor but the scale does go up to the average industrial wage.

fg1406 wrote: »
    I'm married with no kids and I definitely couldn't afford to live on that salary, even combined with my husbands salary. It's a pity the salary is poor but the scale does go up to the average industrial wage.

It's highly dubious to station revenue agents in extremely expensive offices in the middle of a gridlock, where they have massive commutes to and from work. Especially in the case of travel for work.

Long commute to office> long travel from office to site> Long journey back > Long commute home.

All in all, I assume the position and pay scale change following training, to something more realistic. That's an absolute guess. I might just log off and wait and see. As of now, I'll move ahead with life thinking of this as a non opportunity. Far too much uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 James1988

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

James1988 wrote: »
    I find it incredible that there were only 40 positions last year despite over a hundred on the panel. Thought I was sure enough of a job being mid 50s but doubting myself now.

Do you have any idea what number on the panels they've went to in recent years?

You're misreading that. It's 20 x 4 locations = 80 in January.

Then a further 20 in Sept.

So you'll be hearing from them in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sevenup79

Is it 20 by 4 locations in Jan plus 20 by 4 locations again in Sep 2018, ie two sets of 80 people, or is it 80 in Jan plus 20 in total in Sep 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Sevenup79 wrote: »
    Is it 20 by 4 locations in Jan plus 20 by 4 locations again in Sep 2018, ie two sets of 80 people, or is it 80 in Jan plus 20 in total in Sep 2018?

Sure nobody knows that, including Revenue themselves. The numbers above are historical, as to what happened last year, which may be in no way relevant to what they do next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alias66

FYI, I was offered the choice of Cork, Killarney and Dublin. I placed in the top 5 however, and this is the only reason I will have been contacted so early. The start dates outlined for my profile given my preference were 2nd and 9th of January 2018.

Keogh08 wrote: »
    Same here, top 10 in panel & offered Dublin, Cork & Tralee.

If you don't mind me asking, which dublin office would you be located at? I just want to assess the viability of a commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Keogh08

If you don't mind me asking, which dublin office would you be located at? I just want to assess the viability of a commute.

I'm not interested in Dublin so never asked, sorry.

Training for Tralee & Cork offices take place in Cork in January.

• Advertisement

James1988 wrote: »
    I find it incredible that there were only 40 positions last year despite over a hundred on the panel. Thought I was sure enough of a job being mid 50s but doubting myself now.

Do you have any idea what number on the panels they've went to in recent years?

They placed 80 in Jan 2017 (20 per location) and then a another 20 in Dublin in sep 2017. They was 160 on the panel last year. Last year the last I seen they were up to 120

Advertisement