Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London terror attack confirmed by Met Police

Options
1108109110111112114»

Comments

Boer War would be one I'd say. John McBride went to South Africa to fight the Brits on behalf of the Boers, then came back to Ireland and later fought in the Rising

So you have detailed one single individual as an example.

Let's take that one person into context and multiply it by 3000 then this is the scale of the task facing the UK government considering they already let them known jihadis back into the UK and now have to spend millions upon millions of tax payers money to monitor them.
    Again I find this logic by the UK government hilarious and disturbing.
    Haven't even mentioned the suspected 23,000.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So you have detailed one single individual as an example.

Let's take that one person into context and multiply it by 3000 then this is the scale of the task facing the UK government considering they already let them known jihadis back into the UK and now have to spend millions upon millions of tax payers money to monitor them.
    Again I find this logic by the UK government hilarious and disturbing.
    Haven't even mentioned the suspected 23,000.

Well there was a few hundred of them, MacBride was just the most famous of them, if you had bothered to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

I don't think this racially motivated attack can be classed as a terrorist attack, to my mind terrorism must be backed by a political motive rather then mere unstable outrage.

It's no more a terrorist attack than this was:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4606844/Van-driver-mounted-pavement-drove-five-men.html

This is the horrific moment a Muslim van driver ploughed into five men sending them flying 'like skittles' after claims he was racially abused while fasting during Ramadan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

If a person holds citizenship in more than one country they can be stripped of one and deported to the other, there's no convincing needed.

The European Court of Human Rights will block it. These guys are a nuisance, they're always blocking attempts to strip UK-born Jihadists of their dual citizenship: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9239417/European-Court-of-Human-Rights-blocks-more-deportations-from-UK-than-any-other-country.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

511 wrote: »
    The European Court of Human Rights will block it. These guys are a nuisance, they're always blocking attempts to strip UK-born Jihadists of their dual citizenship: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9239417/European-Court-of-Human-Rights-blocks-more-deportations-from-UK-than-any-other-country.html

The funny thing about your post is the article talks about Abu Qatada, a person who has been deported.

"Britain was finally able to expel the father-of-five after the two governments last month formally approved a treaty guaranteeing that evidence obtained by torture would not be used against him in any retrial."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10164915/Britain-finally-deports-Abu-Qatada-to-Jordan-after-decade-long-saga.html

• Advertisement

Well there was a few hundred of them, MacBride was just the most famous of them, if you had bothered to check.

So it's a war that happened over 100 years ago. Ok.

Neighbours told of their shock after seeing pictures of Osborne being arrested by police.

Dave Ashford, 52, said: ?Someone called me and said it was him and I said ?It can?t be?. Then I saw the picture on the news and said ?S***, it?s him?.?

Another neighbour said: ?He had lived on the estate for a few years. He?s always been a complete c*** but this is really surprising.?
    Makes a change from the usual "He was a quiet man. Kept himself to himself."

From what I am hearing, there are many who (quietly) support his actions, and some not so quiet!
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-40347813
    A man has been arrested on suspicion of posting an offensive Facebook post about the London Finsbury Park attack.
    Police said a 37-year-old, believed to be the son of an owner of the Rhondda Cynon Taff company whose van was used in Monday's attack, is in custody.
    Richard Evans allegedly posted: "It's a shame they don't hire out steam rollers or tanks could have done a tidy job then."
    His father, Lee Evans, said he condemned the remarks.
    South Wales Police said a 37-year-old man was being held on suspicion of displaying threatening, abusive, insulting written material with intent that is likely to stir up racial hatred.

If the police start to try to keep tabs on potential "revenge attackers", they'll have an extremely long list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

The funny thing about your post is the article talks about Abu Qatada, a person who has been deported.

"Britain was finally able to expel the father-of-five after the two governments last month formally approved a treaty guaranteeing that evidence obtained by torture would not be used against him in any retrial."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10164915/Britain-finally-deports-Abu-Qatada-to-Jordan-after-decade-long-saga.html

He wasn't born in the UK. It's mostly these second-generation immigrants born in Europe that are causing the problems. They can deport foreign-born ones no problem as long as their country isn't a warzone or if they're not facing torture/execution. Anytime a European country tries to deport or strip the citizenship of a Jihadist born in Europe and holds dual citizenship, the ECHR block them.

Australia doesn't have ECHR to contend with, so they routinely strip Australian-born jihadists of their Australian citizenship. This is something Europe needs to mimic sharpish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

511 wrote: »
    He wasn't born in the UK. It's mostly these second-generation immigrants born in Europe that are causing the problems. They can deport foreign-born ones no problem as long as their country isn't a warzone or if they're not facing torture/execution. Anytime a European country tries to deport or strip the citizenship of a Jihadist born in Europe and holds dual citizenship, the ECHR block them.

Australia doesn't have ECHR to contend with, so they routinely strip Australian-born jihadists of their Australian citizenship. This is something Europe needs to mimic sharpish.

Would be an idea to make that clear in your first post as the article linked was not about UK born citizens.

Can you link to any case where any European Court has said a country can not remove citizenship.

The one Australian case is http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/immigration/khaled-sharrouf-stripped-of-citizenship-under-antiterror-laws/news-story/c82f008e768ae74f7798af983c4d2051

As you can see "Although the laws cover only conduct that has occurred since the legislation passed, the public, brazen nature of Sharrouf’s activities is likely to have been a reason intelligence officials targeted him with the powers, which are sure to be tested in the courts."

We as yet do not know how Australia's Human Rights law will deal with it.

I have pointed out that the UK has passed a law in 2015 that allows them for a period of two years renewable to withdraw passports of persons fighting in the ME, I am unaware of any European court making and judgement on that law!

Advertisement