Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London terror attack confirmed by Met Police

Options

Comments

• Billy86 wrote: »

Thanks.
    Who is he responding too? What's the context?
    Stupid thing to tweet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Salman Abedi attended the Didsbury Mosque.

And your point is?

Paedophile Priests attended Catholic Churches
    Republican Extremists attended Irish Schools.

Should we tar everyone that went to them too with the same brush?

Thanks.
    Stupid thing to tweet.

Because the right-wingers would never take anything out of context would they?

The Daily Mail, Sun and Express do it almost every day,

• devnull wrote: »
    And your point is?

Paedophile Priests attended Catholic Churches
    Republican Extremists attended Irish Schools.

Should we tar everyone that went to them too with the same brush?

That is my point. What I posted are facts.
    Not sure what you are ranting on about.

3 known hate preachers spoke at that Mosque.
    Also facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

devnull wrote: »

Didn't one of them blame the EU for the tower fire?

• Advertisement

I'm personally try to find out what the context is behind it.
    A simple question. Doesn't change the fact the tweet was stupid thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Billy86 wrote: »

You think he hates Irish people including his mother?

Sounds like you are talking about Sky News / BBC then?

What do you think of Russia Today?

It seems to be the darling of the extreme right lately who seem to believe that its the only TV news channel that can be trusted, despite the fact it is run from country where democracy does not exist, freedom of the media does not exist, and is basically a government mouthpiece.

It's also testament to how far that the right wingers have gone to the right in that Sky News is now considered as in the same bracket as the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

3 known hate preachers spoke at that Mosque.
    Also facts.

Yeah, and they tossed out all the extremists years ago, and turned things around, that is also a fact:

Finsbury Park mosque wins apology and damages from Thomson Reuters

FYI, the attack actually happened outside Muslim welfare house:
    What we know so far about the Finsbury Park terror attack

--SNIP--
    The attack took place outside the Muslim Welfare House, a few hundred metres away from Finsbury Park mosque.
    --SNIP--

So the attack wasn't even at Finsbury park mosque, but rather the Muslim Welfare house. People need to get there facts straight imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Thanks.
    Stupid thing to tweet.

You'd need to look back through that, though the article the other poster linked to says it was in response to if his parents had not moved to the UK which makes sense when you read the tweet. The replies to the tweet when you click on it help a little on context also.

• Advertisement

I'm personally try to find out what the context is behind it.

Context should be behind everything, but sadly the right wingers demand context behind one group of people and don't demand it for another and blindingly believe what they read.

've yet to have a coherent argument with many of the right-wingers who have this view because when you ask them to start backing up what they say they are unable to do so and start resorting to stuff like:

"We are too full."
    "Everybody knows it's true."
    "The dogs on the street know the score."
    "They are everywhere, for example a friend of mine."
    "They dictate to us what we can and can't do."
    "I read in the paper that..."
    "They are all murderers and rapists...."

Same soundbites over and over again, but no substance whatsoever, they just read it in the paper so it must be true, because it fits in with their beliefs.

- Everything that supports their view is automatically correct regardless of if there is proof
    - Everything that doesn't support their view is wrong no matter how much proof there is.

Normally they then go off and say that they have seen the light because they have saw the truth on Russia Today who isn't afraid to tell the truth.

You think he hates Irish people including his mother?
    I'll enjoy you showing where I said that, as opposed to simply linking to a tweet to answer Mick's question.

What do you think of Russia Today?

It seems to be the darling of the extreme right lately who seem to believe that its the only TV news channel that can be trusted, despite the fact it is run from country where democracy does not exist, freedom of the media does not exist, and is basically a government mouthpiece.

It's also testament to how far that the right wingers have gone to the right in that Sky News is now considered as in the same bracket as the BBC.

I have no idea what Russia Today is so not in a position to comment.

What's the difference between Sky News and the BBC in your view then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Resist ZOG

Pretty mild 'hate' from Tommy I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'll enjoy you showing where I said that, as opposed to simply linking to a tweet to answer Mick's question.

Apologies

• wes wrote: »
    Yeah, and they tossed out all the extremists years ago, and turned things around, that is also a fact:

Finsbury Park mosque wins apology and damages from Thomson Reuters

FYI, the attack actually happened outside Muslim welfare house:

So the attack wasn't even at Finsbury park mosque, but rather the Muslim Welfare house. People need to get there facts straight imo.
    The above report tells me somebody won a court case?

This is what I viewed on the news earlier, they said it was Finsbury park mosque that was attacked. Guess the news didn't share the facts originally as you say. Or maybe they didn't have the finer detail yet.

I have no idea what Russia Today is so not in a position to comment

Otherwise known as RT, the Kremlin Mouthpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The above report tells me somebody won a court case?

They won the court case after they were placed on a global database for links to terrorism. If they still had those links, they would have lost the case. They kicked out the nutters years ago.

They also won an award against extremism:
    FINSBURY PARK MOSQUE WON AN AWARD FOR TACKLING EXTREMISM AND HAS BEEN HELPING GRENFELL SURVIVORS

Abu Hamza was kicked out years ago, and the Mosque has been run by new people since 2005. As per the article above, they were even helping survivors of the awful Grenfell fire.

Your information on the mosque is well out of date.
    This is what I viewed on the news earlier, they said it was Finsbury park mosque that was attacked. Guess the news didn't share the facts originally as you say. Or maybe they didn't have the finer detail yet.

The location was known since last night, they probably just screwed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Some perspective might help. I don't think any Muslims have been killed (except Asad Shah, killed by a Muslim) since 7/7- If anything it shows how tolerant and civilised Britons are. If a number of attacks does not an Islamic terror threat make, I think everyone can be confident that that man was a lone wolf and an isolated incident..

Some perspective might help. I don't think any Muslims have been killed (except Asad Shah, killed by a Muslim) since 7/7- If anything it shows how tolerant and civilised Britons are. If a number of attacks does not an Islamic terror threat make, I think everyone can be confident that that man was a lone wolf and an isolated incident..

Not necessarily, I remember this one off the top of my head at least - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlo_Lapshyn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Sounds like you are talking about Sky News / BBC then?

Confirming what people want to hear? Yes, people want to read and listen about facts.
    And if somebody has the balls do it fair play to him / her. I have no issue with that.

Here's some facts he recently reported on.

Salman Abedi attended the Didsbury Mosque
    His father fought for the Libyan Islamic Fighting group and to make it worse have confirmed links with Al Queda

This is all I need to know. Not hearsay, not agendas just facts.

Tommy Robinson is no longer with the EDL.
    If he has some issue with Irish Citizens of the Republic of Ireland I've yet to read / hear about it. Can you confirm where you read this?
    Not that this has anything to do with Manchester / London / Finsbury Park attacks.

Salman Abedi was banned from the mosque after he objected to the Imam condemning ISIS, he had not been there in 4 years... Why don't you find that part relevant? Why doesn't Tommy feel the need to report on that part?

Tommy is a hateful football hooligan, if it was a Muslim who had committed the crimes he perpetrated, you would be happy to call them dangers to society...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

devnull wrote: »
    Context should be behind everything, but sadly the right wingers demand context behind one group of people and don't demand it for another and blindingly believe what they read.

've yet to have a coherent argument with many of the right-wingers who have this view because when you ask them to start backing up what they say they are unable to do so and start resorting to stuff like:

"We are too full."
    "Everybody knows it's true."
    "The dogs on the street know the score."
    "They are everywhere, for example a friend of mine."
    "They dictate to us what we can and can't do."
    "I read in the paper that..."
    "They are all murderers and rapists...."

Same soundbites over and over again, but no substance whatsoever, they just read it in the paper so it must be true, because it fits in with their beliefs.

- Everything that supports their view is automatically correct regardless of if there is proof
    - Everything that doesn't support their view is wrong no matter how much proof there is.

Normally they then go off and say that they have seen the light because they have saw the truth on Russia Today who isn't afraid to tell the truth.

Russia Today is fairly leftish on many issues. It's anti American though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Has Tommy Robinson been convicted of hooliganism?

Yes and mortgage fraud.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-14278957

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

ITV News have said in their evening news tonight that the suspect who carried out the incident in Finsbury Park last night has been named as Darren Osborne.

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-06-19/finsbury-park-terror-attack-suspect-named-as-mother-speaks-of-shock-at-his-arrest/

He is a 47 year old man who is a father of four children from Cardiff in Wales. He has no link to any security services in the UK.

He is not part of the far right movement in the UK either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

He has been named as Darren Osborne.

His neighbours aren't that fond of him...

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/19/finsbury-park-suspect-named-as-father-of-four-darren-osborne-6720145/
    Neighbours told of their shock after seeing pictures of Osborne being arrested by police.

Dave Ashford, 52, said: ‘Someone called me and said it was him and I said ‘It can’t be’. Then I saw the picture on the news and said ‘S***, it’s him’.’

Another neighbour said: ‘He had lived on the estate for a few years. He’s always been a complete c*** but this is really surprising.’

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

An attack in Paris on Champs Elysées this afternoon by the way, don't want to be opening another thread.
    One guy in a car full of explosives drove into a police van. The guy was on the S files (known for terror related threat). Car went on fire. Guy is dead.

The guy had a hand weapon, a Kalachnikoff, and a bottle of gaz in the car, but they haven't finished the examination yet so there could be more.

No injuries or deaths other than your man. He drove head on into the police van, not clear how he died, I think the crash did it from what I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Another neighbour said: ‘He had lived on the estate for a few years. He’s always been a complete c*** but this is really surprising.’

About sums it up really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Extremists don't need don't need a religion. They will be extremist regardless. I'm also not entirely convinced by 'radicalism' or being 'radicalised'... I think the issue is these people, regardless of the cause have had some desire to carry out attacks.

The nature of the attacks is changing, the U.K. Doesn't have easy acces to guns so vans and knives are the methods. Where's in the states gun are easier to acquire.

What makes Muslim based attacks difficult to prevent is their willingness to die, much like the kids in the states who shoot up schools and colleges. It removes a lot of planning around escape plans and much planning in general.

I'd agree that at some stage you'd need to close your borders, I thought this would be an outcome of putting the country int a State of Emergency.

Unfortunately receiving refugees with polar opposite cultural and religious beliefs doesn't help either county. The receiving country can't always meet their needs and the 'home' country loses parts of its work force.

Economic refugees I am totally against.

Advertisement