Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London terror attack confirmed by Met Police

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Well spotted. I still don't think you're getting it though. They had the terrorist who tried to murder them, they handed him over the police. Now you're telling everyone to wait and see if they do....something?

They're the victims in this.

OK let me spell it out for you. Now that there has been an attack on their community, will they now come out in mass & protest or will they just get on with their daily lives like everyone else is told to do?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Honestly some of the victim blaming makes me sick.

Perhaps it's about time we started to apply the same rules to all the people regardless which side they are on?

But I can't see the right wingers doing that any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Help!!!! wrote: »
    OK let me spell it out for you. Now that there has been an attack on their community, will they now come out in mass & protest or will they just get on with their daily lives like everyone else is told to do?

And my point all along has been that their reaction to the terrorist attack on them would strongly, strongly suggest the later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

lawred2 wrote: »
    What's the attacker's story?

No idea, its early days yet.

And my point all along has been that their reaction to the terrorist attack on them would strongly, strongly suggest the later.

If there was attack in coming days and weeks the right wingers would paint it as revenge attack and being bad but when it's the other way around they start to apply different rules.

• Advertisement

"We will clean out this Islamic problem"

BTW I did not use the racist word but the video is anti Islamic. That is to be against a person based only on there religion.

Maybe if you watch the full video you might get the context of what hes saying.
    Funny how the video on your post cuts out after "We will clean out this Islamic problem"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is it still terrorism if it's not organised?

This doesn't seem to me to be an organised or coordinated action.. More likely some ill person thinking they were carrying out a revenge attack.

This doesn't seem to me to be an organised or coordinated action.. More likely some ill person thinking they were carrying out a revenge attack.

Ah, when the attack is white, its not terrorism :rolleyes:. That didn't take long. Also, have a thread asking the same question. Its interesting to see the different reactions, when the terrorist is not Muslim. Not the first time, we have seen this on boards.

devnull wrote: »
    Honestly some of the victim blaming makes me sick.

Perhaps it's about time we started to apply the same rules to all the people regardless which side they are on?

But I can't see the right wingers doing that any time soon.

Its kinda funny how when theres a picture of a "brown person" after an attack people say you cant call it Islamic attack until you get the reports from the police but as soon as its a "white" looking person its BNP/UKIP/Alt Right...maybe the left could take your advise too

wes wrote: »
    Ah, when the attack is white, its not terrorism :rolleyes:. That didn't take long. Also, have a thread asking the same question. Its interesting to see the different reactions, when the terrorist is not Muslim. Not the first time, we have seen this on boards.

I'm not even going to bother formulating a response...

• Advertisement

Well lets hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You paint it out to be only one way, some of the stuff I've seen on social media today from both sides is sick.

Hey I am not saying there aren't racists nutjobs who believe that their country should be "pure" and only they are their type should get to live in it.
    There are some sick fooks that will rejoice at this and see it as deserved, even though it was some innocent people just going about their daily lives and minding their own business.
    It is like what happened in Canada where some sick fookers see as somehow legitimate retribution.

But I actually don't think Robinson is a racist.
    He might have a chequered past, football hooliganism, etc and he mightn't be the most eloquent at getting his point across, but if you actually listen to some of his points they make a lot of fecking sense.

Burying your head in the sand and labeling anyone like him as racist because they are raising the inconvenient truths about sections of society is myopic and just storing up problems.

He pointed out grooming gangs long before it was openly admitted, he pointed out radicalisation and he has pointed out there will be revenge attacks.

I don't think he is a hate preacher no more than he is a sage.
    I think he is just pointing out the bleedin obvious.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'm not even going to bother formulating a response...

What response did you expect exactly? Its pretty clearly established that it is a terrorist attack, and UK authorities are calling it as such at this point. Its amazing that depending on who the attacker is, that people refuse to call it terrorism.

And you think the right wingers are a bunch of softies too?
    https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19225811_1798908560419145_2922870175369195929_n.jpg?oh=79cfe2c5aebe891dd77f6a7feb7b433d&oe=59DB5FC4

Note the guy who claims he is excited....

What response did you expect exactly? Its pretty clearly established that it is a terrorist attack, and UK authorities are calling it as such at this point. Its amazing that depending on who the attacker is, that people refuse to call it terrorism.

A reasoned one.

Its kinda funny how when theres a picture of a "brown person" after an attack people say you cant call it Islamic attack until you get the reports from the police but as soon as its a "white" looking person its BNP/UKIP/Alt Right...maybe the left could take your advise too

I don't use terms like "white" or "brown" or anything like those, because I don't segregate people based on the color of their skin.

OK. have you seen the video of the white terrorist? He looks out of his head. If it was planned then he didnt have a good plan. No knives, nothing. He was taken out of the van & wanted to fight many people with his bare hands. It is a terror attack. I wonder though if it was a spur of the moment thing. Did it have something to do with the march earlier in the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Maybe if you watch the full video you might get the context of what hes saying.
    Funny how the video on your post cuts out after "We will clean out this Islamic problem"

I watched the video, it does not help that the curses a lot. Much of what he says is incorrect, the Tories under May has passed much of the laws he wants the only thing stopping those laws been used are not the liberal left but the fact that the tories are inept. They stopped a UK citizen from coming into the UK by withdrawing his UK passport, because he was involved with Jihad in the ME, the guy just used his Afghanistan passport and wandered back in.

No one on the "****ing liberal left" is against the locking up of people involved in membership of an illegal orgainisation. It is people like Tommy who are helping Islamic terror rather than stoping it.

What's "racist" there?

Look at the full version I posted & see the difference to the edited version in the OP

• Advertisement

A reasoned one.

I fail to see the reason in not calling a terrorist attack, a terrorist attack, when the UK authorities are calling it. The fact that we have a thread asking this question, and people not calling this terrorism, is pretty telling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's still terrorism yeah, just not from a terrorist organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is still terrorism. There is no minimum amount of organisation required for it to be a terrorist attack. Indeed many of the ISIS inspired attacks seem to have very little planning which is part of why they are so hard to stop. They are still very much terrorists who commit these horrific acts.

I am sure they thought they were carrying out a revenge attack or had some reasoning that made sense to themselves but terrorists frequently don't refer to themselves as terrorists.

And you think the right wingers are a bunch of softies too?
    https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19225811_1798908560419145_2922870175369195929_n.jpg?oh=79cfe2c5aebe891dd77f6a7feb7b433d&oe=59DB5FC4

Note the guy who claims he is excited....

Yeah & Al Jazeera had almost the same after Manchester & London from the Muslim community

Terrorism is a term used in its broadest sense to describe the use of intentionally indiscriminate violence as a means to create terror or fear, in order to achieve a political, religious or ideological aim

Fits that definition for me.

Yeah & Al Jazeera had almost the same after Manchester & London from the Muslim community

I never said that there wasn't, simply that the whole rhetoric from a lot of the right that it's only one way is a false narrative.

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's still terrorism yeah, just not from a terrorist organisation.

Well that's a bit more nuanced.

Christy42 wrote: »
    It is still terrorism. There is no minimum amount of organisation required for it to be a terrorist attack. Indeed many of the ISIS inspired attacks seem to have very little planning which is part of why they are so hard to stop. They are still very much terrorists who commit these horrific acts.

I am sure they thought they were carrying out a revenge attack or had some reasoning that made sense to themselves but terrorists frequently don't refer to themselves as terrorists.

fair points

btw I'm not trying to reduce what happened here... I'd like to know more about the attacker.

I never said that there wasn't, simply that the whole rhetoric from a lot of the right that it's only one way is a false narrative.

I dont think thats the case. Do you know why there are more & more people joining the likes of TR & going to his rallies? Because they are tired of politicians bowing down to Islam. Its OK to make jokes or talk sh!t about Christianity but you cant say a word about Islam. Police are afraid to arrest Muslim/Refugee rapists & when they do the courts treat them as the victims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ok lets fooking put this to bed once and for all here.

Lets list all the posters around here who are refusing to call this attack terrorism ?

For starters I, probably labelled by people like you and the boards establishment as the next incarnation of a Gruppenf?hrer even though I like Israel and it's citizens, couldn't give two shytes who you shag or marry so long as they are not forced and aren't kids, couldn't give two shytes what colour your skin is before and after the current sunny weather, or what religion you are so long as you don't expect the rest of us to take it seriously...
    find that THIS WAS A TERRORIST ATTACK.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement