Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S8 for €598 on Amazon.it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GaryDublin

Can you post the advert link? I can pay 550e if its original and comes with 2 year warranty.

You can't post links on here, just type in Samsung Galaxy S8 on adverts and you'll see a few phone shops in the city centre at around the same price 559e.I think they are Chinese/Pakistani owners of these shops, so I'm not sure how legitimate they are. That's why I was wondering if anyone else has had dealings with them.

Skelet0n wrote: »
    Usually offered with no warranty and no chain of custody before the shop if you know what I mean.

It says on the adverts that they come with 2 years warranty from Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If its too good to be true, then prepare to be bitten

TheDriver wrote: »
    If its too good to be true, then prepare to be bitten

Yeah true, that's the only thing holding me back from buying it, seems too good to be true. 550e vs 800e from a mobile carrier. The sellers don't seem to like answering too many questions about the phones on adverts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭masterboy123

The seller replied to me that it's genuine and comes with samsung 2 years warranty. They have a shop in Dublin which is an added plus (unless they shut the business)
    GaryDublin wrote: »
    Yeah true, that's the only thing holding me back from buying it, seems too good to be true. 550e vs 800e from a mobile carrier. The sellers don't seem to like answering too many questions about the phones on adverts either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

Back on amazon.it for 590

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B06XWN7VCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500480520&sr=1-1&keywords=galaxy+s8

I'm torn between not updating, that and the sony xz premium.
    fwp.

I would go with the local buy in Ireland.
    asharkman wrote: »
    Back on amazon.it for 590

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B06XWN7VCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500480520&sr=1-1&keywords=galaxy+s8

I'm torn between not updating, that and the sony xz premium.
    fwp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I would go with the local buy in Ireland.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I got it from Amazon.it and it was a great deal. This isn't a too good to be true scenario. We're in common marketplace so get savvy and take advantage. Why be nostalgic supporting local businesses that don't deserve our custom?

The local price is similar or even cheaper. And if there are any issues i could take it to the shop locally.
    Ofcourse if online deal has 50e or more difference then I would buy online.
    Just ordered a selfie stick online..same item is 40% times more expensive in the local shop.
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I got it from Amazon.it and it was a great deal. This isn't a too good to be true scenario. We're in common marketplace so get savvy and take advantage. Why be nostalgic supporting local businesses that don't deserve our custom?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rusdeol77

Anyone that has bought it from Amazon.it, is it a sim-free version? I have the page translated and the description says "Only European SIM card" and "not branded". I know Google translate leaves a lot to be desired, but there's no mention anywhere of sim-free or anything about the sim, other than the above. Just want to make sure it can be used here with a Three sim before I bite the bullet and place the order. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's Sim free

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jay_Cee1985

I bought this 1 week ago and it arrived today. Perfect condition and no network branding or any issues. Superb phone. Mine was dispatched by Cellularishop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Ordered this from GLOBALPHONE SRLS on Amazon.it on Tuesday, arrived in Dublin today, delivered by DHL express for 610 all in. Very basic packaging but phone is perfect!

Anyone bought from Adverts or Donedeal for 550 euros? How are those sets? It's from a shop in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Same As wrote: »
    Ordered this from GLOBALPHONE SRLS on Amazon.it on Tuesday, arrived in Dublin today, delivered by DHL express for 610 all in. Very basic packaging but phone is perfect!

Only issue is with the fast charger - I take it that it's a 2 pin plug? Means you need to buy a proper 3 pin Samsung fast charger separately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

LpPepper wrote: »
    Only issue is with the fast charger - I take it that it's a 2 pin plug? Means you need to buy a proper 3 pin Samsung fast charger separately

In fairness, they included a 3 pin adapter also, although I won't use it as I already have a couple of USB C chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Still debating as to whether to get one of these! Got an S7 back in December new on contract but have been wanting an S8 since release.

Can anyone with a similar experience chime in as to whether it's worth upgrading? Could probably sell my S7 for a decent price second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jay_Cee1985

LpPepper wrote: »
    Still debating as to whether to get one of these! Got an S7 back in December new on contract but have been wanting an S8 since release.

Can anyone with a similar experience chime in as to whether it's worth upgrading? Could probably sell my S7 for a decent price second hand.

I had the S7 Edge and can say it is definitely worth upgrading. It feels smaller, sleeker and lighter than the old one and once you get used to no physical button it is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

I have a S7 Edge and My mate jut got the s8 and its way better.. I wouldnt class it as 618 euro better tho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

savic04 wrote: »
    I have a S7 Edge and My mate jut got the s8 and its way better.. I wouldnt class it as 618 euro better tho

But it's not €618 better....It's about €200 better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

Same As wrote:
    In fairness, they included a 3 pin adapter also, although I won't use it as I already have a couple of USB C chargers

What amp output does your other type c chargers gave? 3 amp? Nexus 5x?

The original s8 charger has an output of 2amp so I am reluctant to put a 3amp connection on it for fear of long term damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Ok im debating getting this...its €610 correct?? I'm not hugely into phones now.
    Im have the S5 and its completely broken now so need a new phone. Looked in the Sansung shop and they have the S7 for €550 but now my head is turned with a S8 for €610. So what's so good about the S8?

The lips wrote: »
    What amp output does your other type c chargers gave? 3 amp? Nexus 5x?

The original s8 charger has an output of 2amp so I am reluctant to put a 3amp connection on it for fear of long term damage.

Understanding how amperage works would make you less reluctant. The voltage is the same. How much current it draws depends on what's plugged in.

In plumbing terms think of it as a larger pipe. More water can flow through but it doesn't have to. So you can fill your bathtub faster but it's filled with the same stuff a smaller pipe / lower amperage charger delivers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    But it's not €618 better....It's about €200 better.

Unless your old phone is unsellable then €200-ish in the difference might well be doable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

My wife got one of these a few weeks ago - didn't even bother with a 3 pin adapter - just used the old push down the earth trick and plugged it straight into the socket.

That's one is fine but be aware it has TIM firmware (a major carrier in Italy). The phone isn't locked but you might prefer to reflash to stock Samsung firmware. However you don't have to and you can select English straight away when the phone first boots up.

I think the price difference is the TIM ones have always been cheaper. Initially they were almost €100 less. Then for a while the TIM and the stock phone were available for nearly the same price from Amazon.it as the seller (I wouldn't bother with other sellers). I think the logic is if its just 20 quid more then chose the stock one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Yevon wrote: »
    When I tried to purchase that one it wouldn't deliver to anywhere outside Italy for some reason. Decided to spend the few extra quid and buy from Amazon.it directly. Got it delivered to Parcel Motel UK which saved a few euro and got the fast delivery because i'm impatient. Should have it by Wednesday all going well! Can't wait.

I'm getting the same issue, but I'm attempting to buy it directly from Amazon.it.

I can't understand Italian but I'm getting an error message about my delivery address. Any way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I bought a TIM branded one but the seller was amazon.I got it posted direct to house.Maybe they have changed there terms.
    Open the page on chrome and translate to English,might be something small your missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

Same As wrote: »

I ordered from the same seller Tuesday morning and phone arrived in my parcel motel Thursday morning. Dhl to parcel motel. €590 without parcel motel. Noticeable difference from my S7, phone was bubble wrapped in dhl shipping bag. No network bloatware phone is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

The 64GB is back available on Amazon.it to order for between €590 and €580 depending on colour.

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B06XWN7VCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1502403350&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+galaxy+s8

Mine arrived about 3 weeks ago but I was waiting for a case to arrive so I've only actually been using it a week. Two things happened in the last few days which might be worth thinking about if you are considering however:

The version on sale on Amazon.it (at least the one I bought) is the Exynos rather than Snapdragon version. I didn't think this would be a problem, in fact according to a video I watched the Exynos version even had a slightly better AnTuTu mark. The Exynos chip doesn't support FM radio however. Maybe not a big deal to you but the FM radio my old phone was definitely my most used app and I find it hard to believe that a phone that costs > €600 can't support FM radio.

I guess the piece de resistance however is that in exactly a week of using the ****ing thing, I've managed to crack the screen talking the rubber case off. In fairness it's not bad, most people would probably struggle to notice it, but I know it's there. In 18 years of owning phones I've never lost a phone, dropped a phone in a toilet, crack or scratched a screen. In 1 week I've managed to crack this one :(

Advertisement