Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S8 for €598 on Amazon.it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I've heard about the screen issue which is just inherent S8 issue you can google/youtube (not particular to this deal). The seller is Amazon.it so you are covered. If you aren't in some emergency to get a new phone then this works for some people who want to save money. Worst case scenario is you got a dud and have to return it.

The packaging was simply some of these expensive phones were sent in cheap book/dvd packaging where the sides sorta tuck in to the package. This makes them easy to tamper with so a few people got burnt. As the seller is Amazon itself, customer service won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

I've heard about the screen issue which is just inherent S8 issue you can google/youtube (not particular to this deal). The seller is Amazon.it so you are covered. If you aren't in some emergency to get a new phone then this works for some people who want to save money. Worst case scenario is you got a dud and have to return it.

The packaging was simply some of these expensive phones were sent in cheap book/dvd packaging where the sides sorta tuck in to the package. This makes them easy to tamper with so a few people got burnt. As the seller is Amazon itself, customer service won't be a problem.

It seems to be a lotto as to whether you get a defective screen or not. I'll have a gander at the OP5 tomorrow and decide from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

You'll have to go through Amazon.it and get an Italian agent though?

You'll have to go through Amazon.it and get an Italian agent though?

Correct. Some folks on HUKD have managed to receive refunds or replacements so it's possible. You may need to use the chat function and have Google translate on hand

Got my S8 yesterday from UPS yesterday. In tamper-proof packaging and cellophane and seals intact on phone box itself. Flashed firmware and was very easy to transfer stuff over. Took a few hours messing but have just about ever app signed back in and working as it was. Nice upgrade from my S5, same size phone but the S8's screen is bigger and the device as a whole much sleeker. Blazing fast as well.

Thanks OP! I was going to settle for a S7 Edge but I talked myself up. First time I've ever owned a flagship phone that wasn't a couple years out of date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Brilliant. Congrats!!

Can you please tell me how did you flash the phone?

And from the day of ordering, how long did it take to arrive?

I have seen mobile shops in Dublin selling s8 64 gb for 620e and 2 years warranty. I wonder if it's better to buy locally.
    Got my S8 yesterday from UPS yesterday. In tamper-proof packaging and cellophane and seals intact on phone box itself. Flashed firmware and was very easy to transfer stuff over. Took a few hours messing but have just about ever app signed back in and working as it was. Nice upgrade from my S5, same size phone but the S8's screen is bigger and the device as a whole much sleeker. Blazing fast as well.

Thanks OP! I was going to settle for a S7 Edge but I talked myself up. First time I've ever owned a flagship phone that wasn't a couple years out of date.

€620 isn't that terrible a price to have it in your hands today. I paid €587 delivered and it took 3 weeks but when I ordered it said 2-3 weeks and now it says available immediately. I bought from Amazon.it as the seller so I wasn't concerned about customer service if a return was necessary. Some guy in the UK claims his box was tampered with, he got razor blades inside his package instead of a phone and was sure he was scammed. As far as I know Amazon.it took care of him.

It was a simple enough process to flash the firmware but choosing the right firmware ended up being difficult due to my lack of knowledge on multiple country CSC (carrier) files. First I flashed Vodafone Ireland but it came up in German with "Mein Vodafone" apps installed. Apparently, if you skip through the startup screens, pop in your Irish sim, then factory reset your phone I would have gotten the Irish Vodafone and apps. Mind you, you can always change the language and not bother but I wanted it right before I installed everything.

In the end I got so frustrated (learned the above only after 3 hours of stress) I flashed the stock no-carrier UK/Irish XEU firmware and it came up English and I stuck with it. I flashed it with Odin and it is easy if you follow the directions carefully however it's easy to brick your phone if you mess up so a bit nerve wracking.

http://updato.com/how-to/how-to-install-an-official-samsung-stock-firmware-using-odin

Ordered mine Thursday and it was in my Parcel Motel locker yesterday morning. The only problem is it has arrived before the feckin screen protector so it's waiting in its box until that arrives. I'm like a child at Christmas waiting to open their presents. Mine doesn't seem to be a branded firmware.

Yes the price of the stock one fell within €10 of the TIM carrier one I ordered which took longer to arrive. Yesterday I was kicking myself for not cancelling the cheaper TIM phone (price is €569 TIM v. €579 stock but when I ordered early this month there was a big difference).

I read it's nearly impossible to get a good screen protector for this phone and there's often an air gap due to the way the glass protectors adhere to the phone. I'm just going to risk it with the Gorilla glass this time.

Yes the price of the stock one fell within €10 of the TIM carrier one I ordered which took longer to arrive. Yesterday I was kicking myself for not cancelling the cheaper TIM phone (price is €569 TIM v. €579 stock but when I ordered early this month there was a big difference).

I read it's nearly impossible to get a good screen protector for this phone and there's often an air gap due to the way the glass protectors adhere to the phone. I'm just going to risk it with the Gorilla glass this time.

I've seen that in reviews too. A mate at work has an s8+ with no protector and it scratches like mad. He keeps it in a separate pocket from change and keys but there is still some fairly nice scratches. He's only had it 3 weeks so when I saw that I got one

• Advertisement

statto25 wrote: »
    Ordered mine Thursday and it was in my Parcel Motel locker yesterday morning. The only problem is it has arrived before the feckin screen protector so it's waiting in its box until that arrives. I'm like a child at Christmas waiting to open their presents. Mine doesn't seem to be a branded firmware.

Why use Parcel Motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why use Parcel Motel?

About 20 euro cheaper via UK .Tax or Vat issue afaik.

Why use Parcel Motel?

Worked out 10 cheaper sending to UK and also convenient for me delivery wise

yabadabado wrote: »
    About 20 euro cheaper via UK .Tax or Vat issue afaik.
    Worked out 10 cheaper sending to UK and also convenient for me delivery wise

Thanks. I always forget to check UK prices :(

Would you notfeel the need to get insurance with them for an extra 7e though with something so expensive?

Thanks. I always forget to check UK prices :(

Would you notfeel the need to get insurance with them for an extra 7e though with something so expensive?

I didn't even think of it to be honest. Now saying that the way it was packaged wasn't great. It was one of amazons book packages so no padding inside the sleeve if you get what I mean.

Be sure to rate the packaging. I can't believe they ship high value items in those boxes. This is what a few guys in the UK reported that you could basically tamper with the package by just pulling out the side of the box, replace the contents, and then slip the side back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Does anyone find the different aspect ratio of the S8 to be a problem when watching standard 16:9 video for example? I haven't got one but saw it in a store and it seemed like this could be annoying?

I didn't even think of it to be honest. Now saying that the way it was packaged wasn't great. It was one of amazons book packages so no padding inside the sleeve if you get what I mean.

I think so, the one that has the flaps that can be easily opened either side? The one that a postman can easily open up to look at the contents?

I think so, the one that has the flaps that can be easily opened either side? The one that a postman can easily open up to look at the contents?

There is a sealed pull tab on the "box" to get at the contents so it wasn't the postman seeing whats inside that concerned me but the fact that the packaging was minimal for an expensive piece of kit. No harm done in the end just got me thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

There is a sealed pull tab on the "box" to get at the contents

You don't need to use the pull tab, the box can be opened (and closed again) by pulling out the tucked in ears.

• Advertisement

They've gone back up in price except for the violet one for €598 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GaryDublin

For anyone still interested in a Samsung Galaxy s8, they are on sale on Adverts.ie for 559e brand new & sealed , but he accepts offers of 550e.

The Samsung Galaxy s8+ is available also for 619e.

The shop is called TradeinTech on Parnell Street, so no waiting for delivery from Amazon.it.

I am thinking of buying one myself, has anyone had any dealings with this shop? I'm just a bit wary about how they can sell them so cheap when they cost 800e on prepay with most carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

GaryDublin wrote: »
    For anyone still interested in a Samsung Galaxy s8, they are on sale on Adverts.ie for 559e brand new & sealed , but he accepts offers of 550e.

The shop is called TradeinTech on Parnell Street, so no waiting for delivery from Amazon.it.

I am thinking of buying one myself, has anyone had any dealings with this shop? I'm just a bit wary about how they can sell them so cheap when they cost 800e on prepay with most carriers.

Anyone have experience of buying from that site/store?
    Tbh I think id prefer to buy from Amazon and wait a while longer for it than buy from adverts.

Tbh I think id prefer to buy from Amazon and wait a while longer for it than buy from adverts.

I was thinking the same myself, buying from a reputable company, but they stock lots of different phones. They have the HTC U11 for sale at 519e, but will accept 500e for it. I'm torn between the Galaxy S8 and the HTC U11.

I just want to make sure I'm buying a legitimate phone before parting with that amount of cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Haven't dealt with that shop but pretty much the majority of S8's for sale on adverts fall into the 550-600e bracket. Not many phones other than iPhones maintain a high resale value. Especially when you can buy them new from Amazon around that price now.

Haven't dealt with that shop but pretty much the majority of S8's for sale on adverts fall into the 550-600e bracket. Not many phones other than iPhones maintain a high resale value.

Yeah that's true. It's just that that there are very good Chinese copies of the S8 called Goophone S8, they are almost identical to three real thing. I don't want to get stung with something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Usually offered with no warranty and no chain of custody before the shop if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ask GaryDublin. He owns it I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Can you post the advert link? I can pay 550e if its original and comes with 2 year warranty.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Ask GaryDublin. He owns it I'd say.

lol good one. That's why I'm on a public forum asking if anyone knows if their phones are legit before purchasing one. Advertising of the dumbest kind I'd say if I was the owner. Take off your tin foil hat there me aul flower!

Advertisement