Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That idea is, to put it mildly, absolute horseshït. Self driving cars are still single occupancy vehicles, they will solve nothing. There's already a form of multi-occupancy vehicle that you can use in this city where you don't have to drive it.

Also the idea that four lane roads are being created for buses...feck the Irish Times. A complete disaster of a national newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

MJohnston wrote: »
    That idea is, to put it mildly, absolute horseshït. Self driving cars are still single occupancy vehicles, they will solve nothing. There's already a form of multi-occupancy vehicle that you can use in this city where you don't have to drive it.

Also the idea that four lane roads are being created for buses...feck the Irish Times. A complete disaster of a national newspaper.

Who decreed that they can only be single occupancy vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

I did a whole module in college on self driving cars and the result was that air pollution would be the same, traffic would likely get worse because it would cannibalise PT numbers, but reduce the amount of parking needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

lawred2 wrote: »
    Who decreed that they can only be single occupancy vehicles?

Self driving car is no better a regular car in terms of occupancy. And there will be more cars on the road when even non-drivers can travel by car on their own.

strandroad wrote: »
    Self driving car is no better a regular car in terms of occupancy. And there will be more cars on the road when even non-drivers can travel by car on their own.

No doubt

But can there not be a self driving bus?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Joker2019 wrote: »
    Will such a livery be just for Dublin or will it be used across the country I wonder.

First glimpses of the new branding can be found on the pole here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/49243590698/

lawred2 wrote: »
    No doubt

But can there not be a self driving bus?

There can, but what's the benefit?

I mean specifically in traffic terms, obviously having unlimited, dynamic driver capacity would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

devnull wrote: »

Looks very similar to the bus stop at broombridge luas bar the colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Middle class Irish times journalists living in Rathgar naturally see a Tesla as the solution to the transport crisis. It's expensive, flashy, smug and fundamentally no real improvement over the status quo. Most importantly, you don't have to mix with the proles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭p_haugh

That looks a lot better! Weird to see a non Dublin reg TFI bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Well, in theory they can drive a lot closer together than manually driven cars, and they shouldn’t do stupid things like block yellow boxes and run red lights. The idea seems to be to put in the new bus priority measures, but do it within the existing road space. This will result in less space for cars, but when cars are self driving, we won’t need so much space for them.

Of course it’s still years away, regardless, and we need a transport/congestion solution now. And joe motorist would go crazy. I just thought it was an interesting concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Qrt wrote: »
    I did a whole module in college on self driving cars and the result was that air pollution would be the same, traffic would likely get worse because it would cannibalise PT numbers, but reduce the amount of parking needed.
    Just out of curiosity, why would air pollution stay the same? They’d all be electric, surely?

Again, I’m a big supporter of Bus Connects and I think it needs to happen yesterday. I just found this whole angle interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

Breezer wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, why would air pollution stay the same? They’d all be electric, surely?

Again, I’m a big supporter of Bus Connects and I think it needs to happen yesterday. I just found this whole angle interesting.

Depends really, hybrids moreso.

Breezer wrote: »
    Well, in theory they can drive a lot closer together than manually driven cars, and they shouldn’t do stupid things like block yellow boxes and run red lights. The idea seems to be to put in the new bus priority measures, but do it within the existing road space. This will result in less space for cars, but when cars are self driving, we won’t need so much space for them.

Of course it’s still years away, regardless, and we need a transport/congestion solution now. And joe motorist would go crazy. I just thought it was an interesting concept.

Id say in reality it's more like decades away. To get anything like that benefit from self-driving cars, you'd need 100% conversion to self-driving, 0% manual interaction. Even just among road vehicles, that will take a long, long time (as you say, the public are very possessive of their cars).

But even if or when that happens, you'll always have pedestrians, cyclists, and even animals (dare I say it even common debris like leaves?) to introduce unpredictability into the system. Given the necessarily overcautious nature of self-driving programming, I'd actually expect it to flow worse than manual traffic in an active city filled with unpredictable non-vehicular inhabitants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Different types of cars won't sold anything in cities. A n electric car is still a device weighing over a tonne and containing rare elements, transporting a single human and remaining stationary 23 hours a day. Whatever way you slice it, its a waste of energy and natural resources. That's before you get into how unsuitable they are for city commuting which should be mostly done by walking cycling and mass transit, complemented by densely populated mixed use neighbourhoods promoting shorter commutes. Electric cars are great but they are a solution for accessing remote areas not day yo day urban commutes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Self driving cars could actually make traffic a lot worse. They'll end up doing more journeys. No parking at work? Not a problem, drive in and send the car back home. That 1 trip just became 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Self driving cars could actually make traffic a lot worse. They'll end up doing more journeys. No parking at work? Not a problem, drive in and send the car back home. That 1 trip just became 2.

Another way to look at it you could let out your car for the hours you don't need it.... Like Uber or a taxi obviously no driver.

Car could actually make you money while you are at work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Another way to look at it you could let out your car for the hours you don't need it.... Like Uber or a taxi obviously no driver.

Possibly. Still doesn't reduce traffic though.

Possibly. Still doesn't reduce traffic though.

It will in a way as the car will be busy ferrying others around that would end up doing the same thing as mentioned before so car would be either needing parking or to go home empty.

Obviously this sort of thing is a very long way away but it is interesting all the same

It will in a way as the car will be busy ferrying others around that would end up doing the same thing as mentioned before so car would be either needing parking or to go home empty.

Obviously this sort of thing is a very long way away but it is interesting all the same

That’s not actually reducing traffic though - it’s reducing parking usage and reducing the number of cars in existence, but it won’t actually mean fewer cars on the road at any given time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You're going to spend 90k on a self driving car and then let randomers into it with no supervision to drive around doing who knows what? Clearly never talked to taxi men about what goes on in occupied cabs!

You're going to spend 90k on a self driving car and then let randomers into it with no supervision to drive around doing who knows what? Clearly never talked to taxi men about what goes on in occupied cabs!

It's a long way away but it could well work, car drives self so no worries there... Yes of course drunks etc would be an issue but link credit cards and have proper insurance in place....
    Business use would be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Silly question for the silly season lol. Will users of SDCs need a fulll, or any driving licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think self driving cars will help, but I can see them legally only being approved for use on motorways and dual carriageways so long as there is a driver sitting there just in case. I can't see, for many,many many years, anything close to full automation.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

So why is the livery and branding now yellow and green? It looks very ugly in that photo from Kilkenny. And is it a final decision?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

Dats me wrote: »
    So why is the livery and branding now yellow and green? It looks very ugly in that photo from Kilkenny. And is it a final decision?

It's to do with the disability groups complaining that the blue was hard to see I'm guessing. Same reason why there's yellow on the front of GAI buses was originally meant to be all blue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

CatInABox wrote: »
    The RTPI system seems to be getting some upgrades. Hopefully this makes it easier to roll out to more stops.

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1203456916418117633

Unfortunately one has already fallen victim to vandalism.

https://twitter.com/chubbenblobb33/status/1221727279253946370

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ah that's one.

We need to bed in and get used to nice things don't ya know.

As an aside, did any of the original RTPI screens ever get properly vandalised like that? I don't recall any reports from their early days.

Unfortunately one has already fallen victim to vandalism.

https://twitter.com/chubbenblobb33/status/1221727279253946370

We're a very disappointing nation sometimes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ah that's one.

We need to bed in and get used to nice things don't ya know.

As an aside, did any of the original RTPI screens ever get properly vandalised like that? I don't recall any reports from their early days.

harder to smash something that's above head height.

Advertisement