Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Never buy a house that has a bus route on your road.
    I bought a house with three bus routes on the road. Four, if you include the one which turns off the road about 100m from the house. And that was when I bought it, there's a fifth now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

Never buy a house that has a bus route on your road. Might be useful in the short term but we can see that it is problematic now.

I don't follow you, we are along one of spines and the proposals include for the taking of a 2m strip from our front garden, still doesn't mean we're against the plan.

I despise those showing the community not corridor signs up and have started to make a point of businesses displaying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I wonder would they object if it was a Luas line outside their door instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I wonder would they object if it was a Luas line outside their door instead.

some of them would as they never use public transport and their beloved front "gardens" are mainly paved over to make space for Range Rovers and Beamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

jcullen222 wrote: »
    They should hop on the bus, Gus, like ordinary people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

They should hop on the bus, Gus, like ordinary people.

You go on like its impossible for anyone to have any reasonable objection to this plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Some people would loose some of their front garden. Which they probably only use for parking anyway. Oh and some trees. The horror. Will probably be put on hold as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

If someone doesn't own a garden, they mightn't feel unhappy about others losing theirs, and in some places, like Harold's Cross and Kimmage, this would be the second time part of their garden was taken. Glee at some older person losing yet more of his or her garden is poor enough.

Speaking of that ill fitting scheme, something designed for a wholly different type of city, a good many useful routes like the 9 are now divided into at least two, possibly three routes, with the connection to a less frequent bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

The plan will remove the bus which serves two of our local post-primary schools. 42% of pupils take public transport (bus/Luas) to local boys' school (I don't know the stats for the girls' school). Have you lifted a post-primary student's schoolbag plus sports bag recently? If so, you can imagine how much worse the local traffic will become if the pupils, who have travelled by bus til now, need to be driven to school. That's why I objected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I love those "Save our trees people" - I cycle past them every morning and see them reversing their hideous Range Rovers out of their paved drive way.
    The hypocrisy could not be missed on them.....I mean they are intelligent people, right?
    NIMFYism and NIMTOO (Not in my term of office). Unfortnately, FG and FF have a history of giving in to these groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

If someone doesn't own a garden, they mightn't feel unhappy about others losing theirs, and in some places, like Harold's Cross and Kimmage, this would be the second time part of their garden was taken. Glee at some older person losing yet more of his or her garden is poor enough.

Speaking of that ill fitting scheme, something designed for a wholly different type of city, a good many useful routes like the 9 are now divided into at least two, possibly three routes, with the connection to a less frequent bus.

Do old people need gardens more or something or are they just getting wheeled out for sympathy?

I feel sorry for the people losing their gardens. But you can't hold up the whole thing because a small people will loose a few feet of front garden. Sometimes the few have to suffer for the many.

I don't really see what it has to do with other people having gardens, are you suggesting that the people who want bus connects are jealous of front gardens. With a straight face.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

There are thousands of people travelling on those bus corridors a day, so their needs outweigh the minor inconvenience of losing a few meters of your front garden (for which you will be financially compensated anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

machaseh wrote: »
    There are thousands of people travelling on those bus corridors a day, so their needs outweigh the minor inconvenience of losing a few meters of your front garden (for which you will be financially compensated anyway).

And there are farmers, etc all over the country who lost land to roads and it was a case of "tough s**t".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

machaseh wrote: »
    What country do you think you're in?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

What country do you think you're in?

I like to stay positive and hope that there will actually be a change following the last election with more focus on public transportation.

It is hard to keep our hopes up but it's all we can do right now.

If people need to hop on the bus, Gus, and get where they want to go quickly they should be able to.

Indeed. It's a shame this scheme is bypassing the majority so the minority can get there quicker.

My new improved service will involve a 40 minute walk albeit 24 hour a day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Indeed. It's a shame this scheme is bypassing the majority so the minority can get there quicker.

My new improved service will involve a 40 minute walk albeit 24 hour a day now.

That's absolute nonsense.

I'd say your new service involves a bus change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Bus Connects empirically serves more people. Some people might lose out, but more Dubliners will gain. https://busconnects.ie/media/1770/fullreport_chapter_8.pdf

That's absolute nonsense.

I'd say your new service involves a bus change.

During certain hours I can change yes, at night I cannot. The bus that serves my estate now finishes at 10.45 pm meaning I can no longer get it home from a late shift.

There is no other bus servicing my estate

I can however get the new 24 hour bus that ignores half the estates in my area and then walk as i said.

So now I can't get the bus to work on an early shift because it leaves later and i can't get it home after a late shift because it leaves earlier. I can get it on a night shift which is the one shift that traffic and parking is not a problem.

Buses going around the world in housing estates will add time to journeys. Direct spine routes increase frequency.

People can walk a few minutes to the nearest stop on the spine route. Not everyone has to have a bus stop around the corner.

A few minutes? First off, I clearly said it's more than a few minutes and it's more than a few minutes for a lot of people. Very few expect a stop outside their door but moving I've from 300 metres away to 3 km is a bit much no?

Secondly, I thought the whole purpose of public transport was to service the public and not just the elite few that the service is changed to benefit?

• Advertisement

Secondly, I thought the whole purpose of public transport was to service the public and not just the elite few that the service is changed to benefit?

More people closer to bus routes = the elite few apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

A few minutes? First off, I clearly said it's more than a few minutes and it's more than a few minutes for a lot of people. Very few expect a stop outside their door but moving I've from 300 metres away to 3 km is a bit much no?

What route is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You might be under the impression that you're talking to rational people, you're not. Bus Connects is the transport version of the Great Leap Forward and this place is the peoples commune forum, no individual sacrifice is too great for the grand plan comrade, quit complaining :D

donvito99 wrote: »
    More people closer to bus routes = the elite few apparently

How is it 'more people' when it's bypassing people?

Does bus connect service new areas not previously serviced? I didn't think it did so all it's doing is serving less people than the current system.

You can only get one bus, it's not like every person on the route is going to be jumping in an the buses now is it?

By the way, I'm not opposed to the system. What I don't like is reducing other services

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Does bus connect service new areas not previously serviced? I didn't think it did so all it's doing is serving less people than the current system.

You can only get one bus, it's not like every person on the route is going to be jumping in an the buses now is it?

I don’t follow you. Do you mean you can only get one bus at a time? Or one bus to the city centre? You can get any amount of buses you like, and the whole idea is that you will, to go places you wouldn’t go to by bus now because the route is too circuitous, often via the city centre, and it would take too long.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is not bypassing people. It is not serving less people.
    it is designed to make a very inefficient system, efficient by removing duplication. It also looks to spread the network around Dublin and not make it something that only goes to and from the city centre.
    It is just those that have not informed themselves about the plan that make points like those you posted.

It is not bypassing people. It is not serving less people.
    it is designed to make a very inefficient system, efficient by removing duplication. It also looks to spread the network around Dublin and not make it something that only goes to and from the city centre.
    It is just those that have not informed themselves about the plan that make points like those you posted.

So all areas will be covered by the same amount of buses as now? Without change? Because as I said, I have already seen the bus that serves me reduced on hours.

I would assume not at it's removing duplication so the likes of raheny won't be serviced by the same number of buses as now will it? Genuinely asking, it's years since I lived there

I'm all for connecting more places without the city centre being used but don't reduce the current services

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So all areas will be covered by the same amount of buses as now? Without change? Because as I said, I have already seen the bus that serves me reduced on hours.

I would assume not at it's removing duplication so the likes of raheny won't be serviced by the same number of buses as now will it? Genuinely asking, it's years since I lived there

I'm all for connecting more places without the city centre being used but don't reduce the current services

Omelette / eggs here. The budget, vehicles and drivers do not exist to maintain all the existing services and improve those that need improvement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Which bus route is it that you're worried about Niner?

• Advertisement

As per my earlier link, the planner of this network redesign was able to demonstrate empirically that more areas of Dublin are covered by the bus service.

Whilst your particular circumstances may change for the worse, the majority of Dubliners avail of an improved service.

Dublin Bus running a bus service their way does not mean that it is the way to do things.

The new plan is well thought out, well intentioned and international best practice. And the proof is in New Zealand where two cities hired Jarrett Walker. One implemented his plan and saw ridership increase by 10%. The other ignored his proposals and went with their own, and saw no notable increase whatsover.

I'll take Walker and the NTA over the NBRU and entitled residents any day.

Advertisement