Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The food stop on the 100k last year was at a pretty useless distance and was packed. Id recommend stopping in garristown on the way back in. its not free, but youve the hills and over half the course behind you, as well as lot less crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

seconded. bring few gels with you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

seconded. bring few gels with you

Or bring a few cereal bars and a small bag of jellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Anyone know the actual route?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Count Down wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's the same as last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭talos

Count Down wrote: »

http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/routes/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i must remind my mother in law. last year, she was helping to run a coffee morning for the ICA in garristown and they had about 50 times as much business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

i must remind my mother in law. last year, she was helping to run a coffee morning for the ICA in garristown and they had about 50 times as much business as usual.

Your family was involved in that? They nearly got me killed. Called out to come in for tea, and the two cyclists in front of me jammed on the brakes. I survived, just.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that would have been my former landlord who did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

I like the GDBR but sad to see they're persisting with the silly trip around NAC & Sports Arena. Unless you're on death's door that stop is a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Nahhh.... the BlanchWheelies man that spot... Great bunch of lads and ladies... never leave a man behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

heraldo wrote: »
    I like the GDBR but sad to see they're persisting with the silly trip around NAC & Sports Arena. Unless you're on death's door that stop is a waste of time.
    It's the HQ of the Irish Sports Council who organise the GDBR so I presume that's why it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

It's the HQ of the Irish Sports Council who organise the GDBR so I presume that's why it's there.

In fairness, it is also one of the few places along the route that can safely facilitate a feed zone/toilet break for a couple of thousand cyclists of varying ability. The only shame is that it's 5k from the finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

conkennedy wrote: »
    In fairness, it is also one of the few places along the route that can safely facilitate a feed zone/toilet break for a couple of thousand cyclists of varying ability. The only shame is that it's 5k from the finish!

It was none too safe last year with people just sauntering across from one side to the other. I really hope that food stop is better organised this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

conkennedy wrote: »

It also has speed bumps, tight corners and bad road surface.
    If Sports Ireland are trying to show off their facilities, they could do it in a better manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I don't mind the sports campus being in the bike ride but it would definitely make more sense if it wasn't a feed station. I just cycled through (with difficulty) myself last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

I've seen the course and I've sen the map, but from your experience, how hard is the 60k ?
    I only cycle commute 12k a day, sometimes 20k over the weekend. I was just wondering what sort of fresh hell I should expect. I've never participated in this kind of cycling event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I've seen the course and I've sen the map, but from your experience, how hard is the 60k ?
    I only cycle commute 12k a day, sometimes 20k over the weekend. I was just wondering what sort of fresh hell I should expect. I've never participated in this kind of cycling event.

You'll be fine on the 60km, try get a 30-40km cycle in over the next 2 weeks, and you'll breeze it

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Hi I am just wondering if anybody got one of the 10% off codes for registering.   I received one and I am a member of Cycling Ireland so I don't need the licence.   The code won't work with the 100k €45 cost, only the €50.   am I missing something or is this a pile of pants/ rip off.   
    I have tried to contact them about other things and I am yet to get a response.    It all seems pretty poor so far from an organisational perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Haven't read full thread but do you have to pick up your number/etc the day before or can someone else pick it up for you or can you get it on the morning? I'm abroad until the night before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Have they started to post out the numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Haven't read full thread but do you have to pick up your number/etc the day before or can someone else pick it up for you or can you get it on the morning? I'm abroad until the night before.

Someone else can pick it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Anyone got a discount code for registration....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Anyone got a discount code for registration....

I have a registration I'll not now be using.
    100km, I paid €45, will let it go for €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I have a registration I'll not now be using.
    100km, I paid €45, will let it go for €35.

Grand Pman.
    Ill sort it out with you next week if thats ok?
    Im doing reservoir dog this weekend and im up to my eyes tomorrow.
    Ill pm you my number as i wont be on here till Monday.
    Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Does anyone know what time this starts at? I seem to remember last year it was around 8 or 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

fjon wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time this starts at? I seem to remember last year it was around 8 or 9?

http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/event/

Sunday 24th September Smithfield, Dublin
    Time Activity
    07:00 Staging pens open
    08:00 1st Wave Start 100km
    08:15 2nd Wave Start 100km
    08:35 1st Wave Start 60km
    08:48 2nd Wave Start 60km
    11:41 First 60km participant approx
    11:54 First 100km participant approx
    14:00 Final participants finishing approx
    17:00 Event Closes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

07Lapierre wrote: »
    http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/event/

Sunday 24th September Smithfield, Dublin
    Time Activity
    07:00 Staging pens open
    08:00 1st Wave Start 100km
    08:15 2nd Wave Start 100km
    08:35 1st Wave Start 60km
    08:48 2nd Wave Start 60km
    11:41 First 60km participant approx
    11:54 First 100km participant approx
    14:00 Final participants finishing approx
    17:00 Event Closes

Thanks, how did I miss that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Think there was lads who finished it in under 3hrs last yr so their finish time approximations are way off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Really should have looked at this in better detail, the timings are a pain for people not in dublin

Advertisement