Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Any idea where the stops are on the 60k? Have only done the 100 before.

Might do the 100 on Wolfgang Beaterson next year just because.

The Swords one is easy to overshoot so keep an eye out for it (check the distance with your trip computer for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

When cycling, I don't use headphones, but since this event has no traffic, can we wear headphones and listen to some tunes? I'm not exactly Froome, so I'll be way back in the group on my own trying to reach the end without a heart attack or something, so some music will help my cycling quest. If not I'll just listen imaginary music

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

When cycling, I don't use headphones, but since this event has no traffic, can we wear headphones and listen to some tunes? I'm not exactly Froome, so I'll be way back in the group on my own trying to reach the end without a heart attack or something, so some music will help my cycling quest. If not I'll just listen imaginary music

This event is on OPEN roads! The section from Smithfield along the quays to 3arena is the only closed section. I wear headphones when I'm cycling (when I'm on my own) but I'd never wear them when surrounded by 1000's of other cyclists. Don't do it.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    This event is on OPEN roads! The section from Smithfield along the quays to 3arena is the only closed section. I wear headphones when I'm cycling (when I'm on my own) but I'd never wear them when surrounded by 1000's of other cyclists. Don't do it.

point taken! I thought it was closed all the way. I'll be humming then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I believe the taoiseach is doing the 60. Therefore it is every participants duty to lobby him for
    a. A velodrome
    b. better cycling infrastructure
    c. Policing of cycling lane infringements
    d. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

morana wrote: »
    I believe the taoiseach is doing the 60. Therefore it is every participants duty to lobby him for
    a. A velodrome
    b. better cycling infrastructure
    c. Policing of cycling lane infringements
    d. etc.

How many Taoisigh have come and gone since we were first promised a velodrome?

Anyway, If i see him I'll send him your regards,

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

point taken! I thought it was closed all the way. I'll be humming then :)

better still talk to those around you....who knows you might meet the love of your life ;)

(but don't wear blue strattos aftershave that went out with the ark)

fryup wrote: »
    better still talk to those around you....who knows you might meet the love of your life ;)

(but don't wear blue strattos aftershave that went out with the ark)

Sure because, nothing impress the ladies like a 6ft4 guy breathless and sweating, chatting them up.

On the plus side, it's a good pick up line "I think I just found the reason why I'm feeling breathless, and it's not this 77 meters climb" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Is the car park in Collins Barracks available? I parked there last time, but I don't see any mention of it on the website. I can't remember if there was a specific arrangement last year?

Edit - shortly after reading this I got an official email saying that Collins Barracks won't be available this year.

Good luck to all boardsies participating tomorrow ;)
    Say hello to the 2112 :)

• Advertisement

Good luck to all boardsies participating tomorrow ;)
    Say hello to the 2112 :)

No need for the number sure we'll smell the blue strattos you'll be wearing a mile off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Seamless so far. Just in the start pen.

Seen my first boardsie 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Well Connor Dunne didnt even wait for the neutral service car (almost)...he was off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Great event. Huge numbers of marshals and guards on the junctions. Lots of food and the soup at the end was both chunky and piping hot. The trip through the NAC wasn't ideal but I don't know what the alternative might have been. Organisation at the start and finish line was excellent.

Thanks to all the organisers and staff, and the locals who were inconvenienced for our benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Hear, hear - great marshalling and crowd control, thanks to all involved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Great event. Huge numbers of marshals and guards on the junctions. Lots of food and the soup at the end was both chunky and piping hot. The trip through the NAC wasn't ideal but I don't know what the alternative might have been. Organisation at the start and finish line was excellent.

Thanks to all the organisers and staff, and the locals who were inconvenienced for our benefit.

The alternative was to avoid that food stop all together and plough on through the roundabout:)

Great day out. Had my cousin for his first sportive. We did the 60, which was lots for his little legs!!

Saw a boardsie. Shouted but got no response :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Like 07, this will be my 3rd year doing the 100k.
    I will be there at 7.00am for an 8.00am start.
    If you're driving to the start, allow lots of time for parking and getting yourself sorted for the off.

It won't be raining and it will be pleasantly warm.

I told you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Did the 60k with my father. Great crowd. Wore our Kerry jerseys which got a good response from people.

Really well marshalled all along the route. Had a minor spill when a woman fell in front of me and then 5 people jammed on the breaks to see if she was ok. I got one foot unclipped but I leaned the wrong way (new to the clipless) and embarassingly toppled over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Did the 100, got chatting to a boardsie in pink gear on the south quays (myself and another guy were in Sky gear)
    Well organised, well marshalled and plenty of food. Weather was perfect aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Did the 100km

Good day. the weather was excellent.

Well Marshalled. Getting through the food stop at the NSC(impressive place) was a bit of a pain but other than that great day out.

Didn't need the 2 sets of cobbles at the end :P

Even remembered where I parked my van :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Great day out.
    How a heap of people didn't hit the deck just before the turn for food in the Naul.
    I fishtailed and was about to have an intimate encounter with the wall when I regained control. Very slippery.
    A lad ahead of me between Garristown and Ashbourne took a bend way too fast and ended up in the ditch on the far side of the road with a car very close to hitting him.
    A good day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Doc07

Did the 100, got chatting to a boardsie in pink gear on the south quays (myself and another guy were in Sky gear)
    Well organised, well marshalled and plenty of food. Weather was perfect aswell

That was me. My first GDBR, very enjoyable. Section from after the Point depot to the first food stop was very fast, felt like a club leagues race for a while. I didn't bother with any of the food stops except the minestrone soup at the end which was fine. Having been spoiled with closed roads and Garda marshalled junctions throughout it was a bit annoying to have to stop at several lights on the run in but I'm just being precious! Seemed well organised overall.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Coming along the sea front this morning was a bit dangerous. There were some people who should know better cycling very unsafely. One in particular who I know from about the place. He cycled weaving in and out of people, going up the inside, almost clipping wheels with a few people around me. Caused a few swerves from people. All because he wanted to get to the front :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Type 17 wrote: »
    Hear, hear - great marshalling and crowd control, thanks to all involved.

I have to say, the one thing you can't fault at the GDBR is the marshalling.

Well done to all the volunteers who helped out, every major junction manned (or wommaned) with all cheering on the riders. They are the people who make an event work like this.

Chapeau.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Did the 100km, haven't been on the bike much lately but that reminded me why I love cycling.

Good crowd and organisation, I didn't have to stop at any junctions at all. Fair play to the Gardai and marshals, said thanks to as many as I could.

I got to the food stop at just the right time, in and out of the hall, went back after to get a bottle of water and the queue was pretty long. Met a boardsie briefly here, Zyn.... (apologies, I can't quite remember the rest of the username). No tayto chicken sandwich this year, marks lost for that :D

Good crowds all around the route, always lifts the spirits a bit, even if sometimes you just put on a fake "I'm not in any pain here" face until you pass them.

A much more favourable wind than last year made the last 30km fly by.

Saw quite a few people fall or get treatment so hope nothing too serious. Had a near miss myself when the group seemed to slam on the brakes for no obvious reason. I aimed for the ditch but didn't need to use it thankfully. And another guy squeezed between me and a bollard at a roundabout near the end, came from behind me on my right and there was no space, I had to swerve nearly taking out the guy behind me but luckily he could see it about to happen.

Hopefully that wasn't me Sullivlo, new black kit, 100km route, black/silver bike? Edit: The boardsie who didn't shout back I mean, not the guy cycling like a mad yoke.

8 minutes slower than last year, lots of PRs on the home stretch. I'm happy with that considering my lack of fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I did the 100, and have to say it was a great event. Very happy with my time and the weather was great (vrs the tour de Boyne hell 2 weeks ago).
    I did see 4 people on the ground so it must have been very slippery in places.

Only thing that annoyed me was cyclist 2814 whoever you are I hate to see people throwing gel wrappers on the ground.

Looks like I will be back next year.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Really enjoyed it, very well organised, food stops are brill. The hills after the first stop were tough after half a chicken and stuffing sandwich @ power bar.

Delighted to beat my goal time by 4 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

brianomc wrote: »
    Did the 100km, haven't been on the bike much lately but that reminded me why I love cycling

This what today was about for me too. Simply not enough time out on the bike since early summer due to usual life and family commitment but thoroughly enjoyed today.

Turned in a few minutes behind last year's time but happy considering the lack of saddle time.

Well done to all volunteers and gardai at junctions, ye made it a great day for the rest of us. Thank you!

Also, soup was great laced with croutons and parmesan.

It was a nice cycle, but 2 hours in I started regretting my decision :( as all my body was very very sore /o\

This was my first GDBR and I'll see next year if I'm fit enough to cycle 60k :) Maybe one day I can do 100k :D (not really) - I was very happy finishing under 3h (2:43) - that was my secondary goal. First one was not end up sitting on a kerb crying while waiting for a taxi van to bring me and my bicycle home.

I can't talk about other occasions, but I found this event well organised and the soup at the end was very good :) I didn't even knew I wanted that at the end of a cycle.

And @fryup, if you are wondering if I met the love of my life, I'll let you know that everytime I tried to say something, this girl would stand and cycle faster :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yes, super event, cycled in early and started off half way through the line up on the quays for the 100k..
    Decided to just go for it around by Portmarnock and latch onto various groups going around including the Dublin fire brigade team...finished in under 4 hours.

Best part was having the Gardai and marshals at every junction, they did an amazing job and made me think what a great city Dublin is to cycle around...when there's no cars buzzing around you! :D

Advertisement