Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I really enjoyed the spin today.
    I thought the event was exceptionally well run.
    Food was good and the Gardai and marshals did a great job.
    Weather was kind to us.
    And... I got as far far as The Naul in the fastest group, for the first time.
    I improved last year's time by 13 minutes.
    And I finished in just under 3 hours.
    I'm as happy as a dog with two m.....s

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

brianomc wrote: »
    Did the 100km, haven't been on the bike much lately but that reminded me why I love cycling.

Good crowd and organisation, I didn't have to stop at any junctions at all. Fair play to the Gardai and marshals, said thanks to as many as I could.

I got to the food stop at just the right time, in and out of the hall, went back after to get a bottle of water and the queue was pretty long. Met a boardsie briefly here, Zyn.... (apologies, I can't quite remember the rest of the username). No tayto chicken sandwich this year, marks lost for that :D

That was me nice meeting you today

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Really enjoyed today. Great Marshalls and a great food stop at the Naul. Didn't stop in Blanch as was so close to d finish. Nice course, excellent weather. As others have said really reminds me why I love to cycle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Did the 100 and got on very well. Marshals were great and full credit to them. Had a weird clicking noise anytime I went overr 40 and just as I turned into the carpark at the end a spoke on the back wheel gave out. A very lucky escape.

That sports campus though, another year when the food stop causes chaos, people stopping everywhere and any where. Saw a few casualties along the way, hope nothing too serious.

Thanks for the camaraderie, the pacing and the tow back on the last 30km! A great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Tabnabs wrote: »
    That sports campus though, another year when the food stop causes chaos, people stopping everywhere and any where. Saw a few casualties along the way, hope nothing too serious.

Listen! It was just as bad in Smithfield! People pulling in or pulling out at the last minute. Clueless manoeuvres!

I had 2 lucky escapes at the finish, just about de-cleated in time.... same with the guys that were with me.

Some people just don't think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Came up from Kerry with my son to do our 1st GDBR , loved every minute of it... fantastic marshalling by all involved... seen parts of Dublin I've not seen before and lovely scenery around Malahide.
    Looking forward to doing it again next year... great to see so many happy smiling people..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Anyone know where the photos taken by photographers at the event today are posted online?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Anyone know where the photos taken by photographers at the event today are posted online?

I'd say check here tomorrow:
    http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/gallery/

When I finished, I hung around for a while, enjoying the buzz. I went over to the finish line, this guy crossed the line, stopped about 5 metres after the line, took his phone from his pocket and started checking it. He stood there for about 2 minutes, completely oblivious to cyclists braking and veering left and right to avoid him. Eventually a Garda approached him and told him politely to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

First run at this and a great day was had.

Any ideas on what sort of time the early finishers done it in, just looking for a reference point to see ow I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

On guy on strava did it in 2hrs50 35k average (wasn't me)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Bassboxxx wrote: »

Any ideas on what sort of time the early finishers done it in, just looking for a reference point to see ow I did.

It's not a race! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Someone made a segment on Strava for the full route. Fastest time on there is 2:47.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1199196193/segments/29562423964

Bassboxxx wrote: »

My Garmin stats. from today:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1995355749

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Someone made a segment on Strava for the full route. Fastest time on there is 2:47.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1199196193/segments/29562423964

Top 30, woo hoo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

New to cycling in any meaningful way. Did the 60k on a hybrid weighing in at 15kg plus

Never done anything like this before.

Wrecked but really enjoyed it especially the camaraderie

Kinda feel like upgrading the bike and cycling to work plus doing more of these.....hooked

Feeling sad that I missed the GDBR today - I did the 60k last year and loved it, even though I'm not a strong cyclist at all. Lovely to read all the comments here. I'm a bit jealous! Well done to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Wow, have to say I'm delighted with 3:25 on my hybrid commuter, first time back on it in two weeks since the quest in achill.
    Great buzz with the other riders today, I'll defo go at it again next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Led a group of novices from work on the 60...as well as having organised the training. Fixed up bikes etc.

Everything went smoothly if slowly today. Great work by the marshals and volunteers.

Am significantly more knackered than I was after doing the 100 on a singlespeed last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

i did 3.59 and i was very happy with that. My training partner was delighted his fastest ever...

fantastically marshalled. every junction was manned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I didnt ride the gdbr this year,but was out on the road to cheer on the riders.But whats the story with so many freds who passed me before the front group arrived??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Route was great as was the marshalling, food at the Naul was rank. Road surfaces after the food stop had a lot of mud on them from farm vehicles which made them very dangerous. Organisation all around the course was brilliant

Finished 103km back to the car park in 4 hours so happy with that considering last year I wasn't allowed do it due to high blood pressure

I liked my chicken stuffing sandwich, fairly devoured it... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Great event with brilliant marshalling and support along the way.
    Hadn't done any kind of long cycle in years and only had a month's prep, but the choice of route and placement of stops kept me going through a reasonably tough 100.

Really enjoyed it and the pint on the way home felt well deserved :D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

I have participated in sportives all over Ireland in the past six years. Yesterday was my first GDBR 100 but will not be last, hopefully.
    I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. What a pleasure to cycle down the quays without traffic! Stewarding was outstanding and I haven't seen as many guards on duty since Bill Clinton came to town.
    Didn't stop at Naul foodstop. I can understand why SI wanted to route us through Abbotstown even if it comes very late as a foodstop.
    There was a great atmosphere at the finish and the minestrone was very welcome..
    Well done to all who completed the courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Borderfox wrote: »
    .. food at the Naul was rank.
    Rank? Sandwiches, bananas, tea/coffee, water - all in good nick I thought. What were you expecting?

Fresh bread for one, Lavender water?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Borderfox wrote: »
    Fresh bread for one, Lavender water?

That's the only negative for me on the day - Lavender water. Could be better described as dishwater.

Apart from that - excellent day out.
    It can get a little tricky towards the end of the 100k with tired (and sometimes inexperienced) bodies - but the marshalls and gardai did an excellent job keeping everyone safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was my first long cycle (60km) on a borrowed bike. Really enjoyed it, excellent marshalling and was lovely having local families out cheering us on along the route. Had planned to cycle through Abbotstown but was really feeling it in my calves, so stopped and had a coffee which really helped me get to the end. Will definitely do it next year this time on a new bike that I own.

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed the run in from Abbotstown especially the coned off part going down North King street, not too often you can let it fly down there without worrying about traffic and loved the cobbled finish

Advertisement