Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Avada wrote: »
    The Veteran has already pointed out that there are more staff than booths most of the time (further back in the thread). Staffing shortages were a problem, they aren't anymore.

Well then that begs the question as to what the staff are actually doing if not performing what I suspect is their primary duty?

If that is correct then it seems the Immigration staff are pointing the finger at the DAA, and the DAA are burying their heads in the sand. Outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Negative_G wrote: »
    Well then that begs the question as to what the staff are actually doing if not performing what I suspect is their primary duty?

If that is correct then it seems the Immigration staff are pointing the finger at the DAA, and the DAA are burying their heads in the sand. Outstanding.

This is going round in circles. The immigration hall has limited capacity and a limited number of booths. You physically cannot fit the amount of passengers that land at peak time through that amount of booths

trellheim wrote: »
    Untrue; there is no requirement to provide a passport for a CTA flight. If there was, we'd need passports for the Belfast train or the Aircoach.

Where did I mention the CTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭trellheim

DAA run a carpark that happens have a runway out the back. Look at their twitter feed ( for a recurring case of "not-our-problem-itis" )

This is going round in circles. The immigration hall has limited capacity and a limited number of booths. You physically cannot fit the amount of passengers that land at peak time through that amount of booths

I fully agree. You make an excellent point. Segregate CTA passengers as per UK and it will solve the problems immediately. There is absolutely zero data or evidence to show that tying officers up in 100% checking makes any difference whatsoever.

Did you mention CTA ? No. You said passport checking was not optional. I countered by saying that passport checking was indeed optional for CTA passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 hu!me

Passport checks are not optional for non EU passengers arriving on CTA flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

DAA again to blame. They provide the immigration space (AFAIK), and they sure haven't made it welcoming for anyone.

Michael O'Leary is right DAA is a disgrace. They only invest in money making schemes like franchises, shops, pubs and food.

Their first priority should be to ensure arriving passengers have a good experience of DA. All the pink shirted wannabes funnelling people this way and that around barriers galore is a joke. A little power is a dangerous thing there. But I honestly don't blame the pink shirt power shower. They are working with a disaster of an immigration hall.

What do the landing fees, taxes and charges that we all pay for go on?

It certainly isn't to get you landed and out optimally.

INIS and GNIB are given what they are given. If you only have say 7 channels, it doesn't matter if 20 staff are available to process. They just can't do it.

Aaargh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

hu!me wrote: »

Well why is this not the same in the UK? Why do I just walk off my flight into the domestic arrivals and not meet a person? I could be from the moon for all the UK officials know, they haven't checked my passport.

You sure about that?

No hu!me is correct. My mistake. CTA passport checks only apply to non-nationals ( sec 11 of the 2004 Immigration act ) i Have stated this several times in posts above but it was omitted this time. If you are Irish walk on through.

The UK manage this problem with random checks, targeting their officers to where they will do the most good.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You sure about that?

Yes.
    11.—(1) Every person (other than a person under the age of 16 years) landing in the State shall be in possession of a valid passport or other equivalent document, issued by or on behalf of an authority recognised by the Government, which establishes his or her identity and nationality to the satisfaction of an immigration officer.

(2) Every person landing in or embarking from the State shall furnish to an immigration officer such information in such manner as the immigration officer may reasonably require for the purposes of the performance of his or her functions.

(3) A person who contravenes this section shall be guilty of an offence.

(4) This section does not apply to any person (other than a non-national) coming from or embarking for a place in the State, Great Britain or Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Surely there could be a quick visual "citizenship check" and you get diverted to the passport check if needed?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Surely there could be a quick visual "citizenship check" and you get diverted to the passport check if needed?

Ah yes, the "ah, you've a big Irish head on ya" check

Different countries different rules and objectives I assume, given the terrorism threat in the UK and number of illegal immigrants living there, I for one am glad there are at least some checks on those arriving from the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Ah yes, the "ah, you've a big Irish head on ya" check

Or, you know, looking at your documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How does one identify a national from a non-national? Could someone simply say that they are a national?

Isn't a quick visual citizenship check the same as producing your boarding card and drivers licence... you know this is the current set up at passport control.

Isn't a quick visual citizenship check the same as producing your boarding card and drivers licence... you know this is the current set up at passport control.

But they also scan passports, ask you questions, check your visa if necessary. Surely there could be a fast queue where this isn't applicable?

Looking at documents is what passport control does, if you get the DAA to do this they would need to be trained as document experts, which is what passport control does.

Or, you know, looking at your documents.

Yes, it's called Immigration, it's there now.

Believe it or not, people like to use false documents (and documents that aren't their own) to circumvent immigration. A quick visual check by someone from DAA would not suffice to detect that.

• Advertisement

As I said above the CTA did not waver on the UK side even with a terror level at the highest.

trellheim wrote: »
    As I said above the CTA did not waver on the UK side even with a terror level at the highest.

Good for them. They're a different country.

Yes, it's called Immigration, it's there now.

Believe it or not, people like to use false documents (and documents that aren't their own) to circumvent immigration. A quick visual check by someone from DAA would not suffice to detect that.

I never suggested just someone from DAA. I'm talking someone from passport control assessing whether you should go through the regular passport checks or not based on your citizenship. Basically the same checks they give people when they want to be quick, but just a queue they have in parallel to the regular ones that does this for Ireland and UK Citizens only. Not too different from what they do in UK airports already.

I never suggested just someone from DAA. I'm talking someone from passport control assessing whether you should go through the regular passport checks or not based on your citizenship. Basically the same checks they give people when they want to be quick, but just a queue they have in parallel to the regular ones that does this for Ireland and UK Citizens only. Not too different from what they do in UK airports already.

The regular passport check takes about 20 seconds per person at most. What you suggest would not save any time at all.

The regular passport check takes about 20 seconds per person at most. What you suggest would not save any time at all.
    People here 10 minutes ago were saying it's scanning the passport and follow up questions is what makes a 5 second process 20 seconds. Would removing this not speed up the queue greatly?

I'm saying look at the country of citizenship line on your passport or drivers licence or other acceptable document, and if it doesn't say Ireland or UK you're in the wrong queue. No different to what they do in quieter airports around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ok, quick give me a guideline here for skipping the EU queue and just entering my own country.

I honestly don't think I'd have the cojones to do it (fear of others beating me up rather than immigration!)

But would love to give it a go given the legislation.

UK is just so sensible, and randomly checking or profiling or whatever. Surely airlines have all that information that could be passed on.

I am getting a bit of a rebel streak in me now. But I am nervous about chancing it, i.e. breezing to the top of the queue and marching out. Yikes.

Possibly a long term solution but would require a larger immigration hall with more booths which would likely solve the problem of queues anyway.

People here 10 minutes ago were saying it's scanning the passport and follow up questions is what makes a 5 second process 20 seconds. Would removing this not speed up the queue greatly?

A visual check is not sufficient for detecting a forged document. Scanning it is the quickest way to do it, which is what they do at present.

Ok, quick give me a guideline here for skipping the EU queue and just entering my own country.

I honestly don't think I'd have the cojones to do it (fear of others beating me up rather than immigration!)

But would love to give it a go given the legislation.

UK is just so sensible, and randomly checking or profiling or whatever. Surely airlines have all that information that could be passed on.

I am getting a bit of a rebel streak in me now. But I am nervous about chancing it, i.e. breezing to the top of the queue and marching out. Yikes.

I reckon that before you get near the immigration booths, you'd be throttled by a bunch of drunk passengers queuing ahead of you... :P

• Advertisement

Good for them. They're a different country.

Indeed they are, I'd never noticed, thanks for the fact-filled update. Well done on rubbishing the mirror example. the phrase "Common Travel" mean nothing to you here ? It was operated successfully in Dublin Airport for many, many years even after the 2004 act was passed.

Queues will drop to easy levels if CTA passengers are segregated.
    This could happen tomorrow

Full conflict of interest : I do not work for DAA or any associated agencies.

Advertisement