Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Avada wrote: »
    A visual check is not sufficient for detecting a forged document. Scanning it is the quickest way to do it, which is what they do at present.

And if you present a drivers licence or other non scannable form of documentation? Never taken more than 2 or 3 seconds to get through with my licence in other airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hu!me

I suspect skipping the queues would get you in more trouble with other travellers and airport police than immigration, what do they care who comes up to them next when you have thousands of people to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

TheChizler wrote: »
    And if you present a drivers licence or other non scannable form of documentation? Never taken more than 2 or 3 seconds to get through with my licence in other airports.

If its a non-scannable document then it should go under UV, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

trellheim wrote: »
    Indeed they are, I'd never noticed, thanks for the fact-filled update. Well done on rubbishing the mirror example. the phrase "Common Travel" mean nothing to you here ? It was operated successfully in Dublin Airport for many, many years even after the 2004 act was passed.

Queues will drop to easy levels if CTA passengers are segregated.
    This could happen tomorrow

And how do you want to ensure that all claiming they are entitled to CTA passport free traffic are who they are? Well - you need to ask for their passports.

Indeed they are, I'd never noticed, thanks for the fact-filled update. Well done on rubbishing the mirror example. the phrase "Common Travel" mean nothing to you here ? It was operated successfully in Dublin Airport for many, many years even after the 2004 act was passed.

Queues will drop to easy levels if CTA passengers are segregated.
    This could happen tomorrow

Full conflict of interest : I do not work for DAA or any associated agencies.

Queues would drop and the large number of people who would currently be refused leave to land from CTA flights would go undetected. Then, posters on here would be giving out that Immigration are doing a terrible job, blah blah blah....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't know what the issue is with closed down self scanning machines. Does anyone know?

But even before they were "decommissioned" they were positioned in the most fekkin awkward of places. If and when they are re-instated there should be a fast track lane for them to the left as you enter the dreaded T1 immigration shack. Scan, out the door.

Instead they were placed in the middle of the other booths. No one knew whether they could use them or not, no one said anything including the pink shirted DAA power shower.

What a thundering disaster this is.

I don't know what the issue is with closed down self scanning machines. Does anyone know?

But even before they were "decommissioned" they were positioned in the most fekkin awkward of places. If and when they are re-instated there should be a fast track lane for them to the left as you enter the dreaded T1 immigration shack. Scan, out the door.

Instead they were placed in the middle of the other booths. No one knew whether they could use them or not, no one said anything including the pink shirted DAA power shower.

What a thundering disaster this is.

They were a disaster, but they were only a (prolonged) trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭trellheim

Queues would drop and the large number of people who would currently be refused leave to land from CTA flights would go undetected. Then, posters on here would be giving out that Immigration are doing a terrible job, blah blah blah....

Link to the "large numbers" please.

your second sentence makes me laugh as you are completely and utterly missing the thread title.

Do you work in this area ? If so can you defend the current omnishambles ?

They were a disaster, but they were only a (prolonged) trial.

Do you know why the trial failed?

@Spanish Eyes

It didn't someone posted earlier that there will be permanent replacements coming in the autumn.

• Advertisement

Link to the "large numbers" please.

your second sentence makes me laugh as you are completely and utterly missing the thread title.

I already told you, make an FOI. I am not aware if the figures are in the public domain (as in, have been specifically compiled), they may be in a pq somewhere.

By here, I meant Boards, not this thread specifically.

Do you know why the trial failed?

It didn't, permanent gates will be installed in both terminals shortly.

Your mention of FOI ? Come off it. If you have the data post it. Do you not see that "data might exist; I couldn't possibly say" is not a sound basis for an argument.

It didn't, permanent gates will be installed in both terminals shortly.

That's a bit of good news. Thanks.

I just hope they will have their own corridor. No point in having self scanning passport machines if you have to Q up for the live version like everyone else!

And you can walk right past them if you are Irish off a CTA flight , nothing to stop you.

hu!me wrote: »
    @Spanish Eyes

It didn't someone posted earlier that there will be permanent replacements coming in the autumn.

Perhaps they did. But I get the feeling that the Summer rush will drive arriving passengers nuts. Why not get them operational at the end of June FGS.

Ah no, that would make arriving passengers lives too easy wouldn't it over the busy Summer months. Feck sake.

can't post link but google the-number-denied-entry-into-ireland-rises-significantly Irish times articles.

Doesn't break down where they arrived from but given significant proportion of UK flights/passengers arriving in Ireland plus different visa regimes I would be surprised if there wasn't a significant number that arrived from within the CTA.

And you can walk right past them if you are Irish off a CTA flight , nothing to stop you.

Yes we know that now. But who is going to actually do that? Fear is pumped into us. Get in line there.

And as I recently posted I would fear the wrath of another person in the Q more than the INIS if I just skipped ahead even though it is not breaking any law as an Irish citizen.

Would you do it. Honestly now.

Your mention of FOI ? Come off it. If you have the data post it. Do you not see that "data might exist; I couldn't possibly say" is not a sound basis for an argument.

I'd want to be the Tánaiste to post things on here that aren't in the public domain and I most certainly am not.

Also, I don't work there, so wouldn't have ready access to the statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

I'll ask the question again, specifically @TheVeteran as he/she works at the "coalface" for want of a better word.

If an Irish Citizen returninf on a flight from within the CTA and elects to go through passport control without producing their passport to an immigration officer, can they be detained and if so, for what reason?

• Advertisement

Would you do it. Honestly now.
    Yes. However not when its busy; wait till I'm last of the Aberdeen or something quiet when it wont slow up thousands of people as immigration have to get off their bum and react. I could not give a toss about immigration they will stop me and demand ID if they want. The poor fkers in the queue behind me - them I don't want to suffer.

I suspect if you walked by them they would assume you were a non national and detain you, of course you would then be able to prove your nationality and the detention would end but I suspect the whole process would take longer than queuing but each to their own I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Under section 4(2) of the Immigration Act 2004 a non national is required to present at immigration, how are passport control to know the person who walked by them wasn't a non national? The article above relates to section 12.

UK has more reason to demand ID and passports from arriving CTA passengers. They don't know whether they are Irish/UK citizens or not do they?

What is the exact problem here in Ireland so?

I accept that each country can set out their own rules. But seriously?

Maybe it's a reaction to the illegal immigrants trying to get in here or something. But surely many illegals want to get to the UK aswell. Look at Calais. France is not enough, must be the UK. I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

UK has more reason to demand ID and passports from arriving CTA passengers. They don't know whether they are Irish/UK citizens or not do they?

What is the exact problem here in Ireland so?
    I believe in the UK the CTA applies to everyone where as in Ireland it only applies to Irish or UK citizens for whatever reason and UK flights often contain a high amount of foreign nationals vs ferry travel for example.

This is the sort of question that needs to be addressed in the Dáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

hu!me wrote: »
    can't post link but google the-number-denied-entry-into-ireland-rises-significantly Irish times articles.

Doesn't break down where they arrived from but given significant proportion of UK flights/passengers arriving in Ireland plus different visa regimes I would be surprised if there wasn't a significant number that arrived from within the CTA.
    Regardless of how many are denied entry at Dublin airport, nobody can know how many of those people subsequently gain entry through the land border at NI or through sea ports.

plodder wrote: »
    Regardless of how many are denied entry at Dublin airport, nobody can know how many of those people subsequently gain entry through the land border at NI or through sea ports.

Normally, if their flight originated outside of the CTA (only transited through UK), they would be returned to their port of origin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,581 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

plodder wrote: »
    However what we can say is that the overall numbers crossing the Irish Sea by ferry are much lower than by air - that's a fact and if you extrapolate that you would get an idea.

Advertisement