Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

testicles wrote: »
    You segregate them at the gates, same as the UK does. Dublin Airport is a farce. If I arrive ​on a flight from Kerry, which last I checked is within the state, I have to go through Passport Control.

I saw an American couple arguing about having to go through non-EU passport control after flying in from Donegal. They kept saying they didn't realize they flew into a different country. Quite funny if you ignore the stupidity of airport authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

lxflyer wrote: »
    However what we can say is that the overall numbers crossing the Irish Sea by ferry are much lower than by air - that's a fact
    Yes
    and if you extrapolate that you would get an idea.
    You might get an idea of the numbers just randomly chancing their arm on entering the country. But you can't extrapolate the numbers that were refused at Dublin airport who then decide to enter a different way. Spot checks at sea ports might help. But, not the land border. We have literally no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I've certainly been checked by Welsh police in Fishguard boarding the ferry, equally observed immigration staff in Dublin.

Lets face it if you want to get in by the back door you would take the ferry from Scotland to Northern Ireland, zero risk of any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I've certainly been checked by Welsh police in Fishguard boarding the ferry, equally observed immigration staff in Dublin.

Lets face it if you want to get in by the back door you would take the ferry from Scotland to Northern Ireland, zero risk of any issues.

Not entirely true, but I get your point. GNIB regularly carry out checks on the land border and detect illegal entrants there, as has been well publicised in the media recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭trellheim

GNIB regularly carry out checks on the land border and detect illegal entrants there, as has been well publicised in the media recently.
    Another excellent point . Now if they could only approach the airports in a similar fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Avada wrote: »
    Not entirely true, but I get your point. GNIB regularly carry out checks on the land border and detect illegal entrants there, as has been well publicised in the media recently.

True but your odds of being stopped are about as close to zero as possible once you stay off the train and scheduled bus services.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,583 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

True but your odds of being stopped are about as close to zero as possible once you stay off the train and scheduled bus services.

And how many non-EU nationals that are not being trafficked (which would be the main target of intelligence led investigations) are going to do that?

I can't imagine that there are huge numbers.

Like I said before I think that the resources are focussed on the main entrance points to the State - our airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I think to be real here, the frustration is simply the long queue wait times. If the long queue wait time wasn't there, we wouldn't necessarily be talking about what our rights are and how you can just walk through etc.

If they just had more channels open and people working, this issue would go away.

for now, if I arrive back into Dublin on a flight from Murcia (which I do regularly with Work) at 23.50 and my AirCoach is going at 00.15, and I hit that long ass queue, then I am seriously at risk at missing that bus. To be honest, Aircoach are aware of this and often have waited an extra few mins but that isn't their issue to be worried about.

they need to have some express system or something that allows CTA and some random spot checks where by you just walk past holding the passport for a glimpse - like they do in Cork airport.

I get that we need security, and I don't mind showing ID. But to have to wait up to 35 mins just to move 10 meters and show my ID card is crazy. Not as a once off, but a weekly occurrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

trellheim wrote: »
    Another excellent point . Now if they could only approach the airports in a similar fashion.

If it was feasible, I would imagine there would be 100% checks on the land border. Unfortunately, its only feasible in the airport.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

My daughter has been using the bus between Dublin airport and Belfast couple of times a week for the last three years, and has never been stopped.

If it was feasible, I would imagine there would be 100% checks on the land border. Unfortunately, its only feasible in the airport.

Land border 100% checks Has been done in living memory. There is strong possibility it will happen again if the current Brexit craptrain stays on course.

We are doing ourselves no favours with the Brits with this kind of operation of the CTA . And dont bother patronizing answers like 'different country'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Noxegon

flexcon wrote: »
    I get that we need security, and I don't mind showing ID. But to have to wait up to 35 mins just to move 10 meters and show my ID card is crazy. Not as a once off, but a weekly occurrence.

You're lucky it's only 35 minutes.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    You're lucky it's only 35 minutes.

To be fair, I said 35 as on average that's all. But 3 times this year it has been 50 mins, for sure once I even timed it for the laugh at 39 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Under law they are not allowed...

Less than 90 seconds to clear in T2 last night and only 3 desks open.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Yet the non DAA airports do or did it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why can/do they do it in the UK, but not here?

I am sure that is what stanstead do though.

Twice I have been there and no passport or Id check required.... I walked from the plane to the taxi.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »

Yet the non DAA airports do or did it

Thats the way legalisation is.

Well do it the way they always did it ( and like the uK do it ) past an empty documents check , its up to GNIB or INIS if they check

And one point I want to hammer home : they are NOT obliged to check CTA passengers documents in Dublin airport, there is no law that says they must

( if they were, they would have to do so at all border crossing points )

trellheim wrote: »
    Well do it the way they always did it ( and like the uK do it ) past an empty documents check , its up to GNIB or INIS if they check

And one point I want to hammer home : they are NOT obliged to check CTA passengers documents in Dublin airport, there is no law that says they must

( if they were, they would have to do so at all border crossing points )

Whatever way you want to argue, the legislation was changed 20 years ago to allow non IE/UK nationals travel documents who are traveling from CTA to be examined hence why it also covers Irish/UK nationals are covered. It will not change anytime soon with Brexit and the security situation.

There has already been a lot of abuse of the CTA since the Brexit vote but not related to immigration checks at airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

The Immigration Act of 2004 specifically exempts Irish/UK citizens from the checks when travelling from within the Republic or UK.

So, they should be segregating the passengers but instead have taken the lazy/cheap option of not bothering. Even for domestic passengers.

The Immigration Act of 2004 specifically exempts Irish/UK citizens from the checks when travelling from within the Republic or UK.

So, they should be segregating the passengers but instead have taken the lazy/cheap option of not bothering. Even for domestic passengers.

You don't get it, if a foreign national travels on a flight from the UK with Irish and UK nationals. You will have a situation where you will need to split passengers up and to do that you will need to check documents.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No, it does not. It only makes the checks optional.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whatever way you want to argue, the legislation was changed 20 years ago to allow non IE/UK nationals travel documents who are traveling from CTA to be examined hence why it also covers Irish/UK nationals are covered. It will not change anytime soon with Brexit and the security situation.

There has already been a lot of abuse of the CTA since the Brexit vote but not related to immigration checks at airports.

"Allow" and "require" are two completely different things.

grogi wrote: »
    No, it does not. It only makes the checks optional.

Section 11 (4) This section does not apply to any person (other than a non-national) coming from or embarking for a place in the State, Great Britain or Northern Ireland.

Since when does "does not apply to any person", mean optional?

• Advertisement

You don't get it, if a foreign national travels on a flight from the UK with Irish and UK nationals. You will have a situation where you will need to split passengers up and to do that you will need to check documents.....

Yes and the problem with that being, how am I to prove my citizenship when there is no requirement for me to do so or carry any documents?

Again, the passengers should be segregated before the regular passport control. Perhaps implement some sort of database for passengers where citizens can be flagged by their name and date of birth or the likes and then an indicator is put on the boarding pass, which is checked on arrival. Might not work, but just a suggestion.

Advertisement